PDA

View Full Version : Camping gear and airplanes

Pokey2006
01-25-2007, 03:03
I'm planning a trip via airplane to do some backpacking. As I've never flown with my camping equipment before, I'm wondering how well it goes through security. Has anyone had problems bringing tent stakes, hiking poles and the like?

I try to keep my bag small enough to bring as a carry-on, which sometimes goes through a more rigorous screening than check-in bags.

Any shared experiences or advice would be appreciated.

bfitz
01-25-2007, 03:12
You will very likely have to check the whole thing. Carry on size is smaller than it used to be.

Pokey2006
01-25-2007, 03:17
Ya, I know. But I dread the thought! Actually, I'm surprised at how big some of bags I've carried on have been. My pack is pretty small, so I'm hopeful....

aaronthebugbuffet
01-25-2007, 03:47
I would think you would have to check the pack with poles and stakes but I've never tried it. I usually check mine. I put the pack in a duffel or a box.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4
Read that and see what you think.
Where are you going if you dont mind me asking?

Pokey2006
01-25-2007, 04:53
Hey, that's a great resource. Can't believe I didn't stumble on it myself.

Ya, looks like I'll be checking the bag...

No, I don't mind you asking. I'm going from Boston to DC to visit my brother and his family, then to Virginia for a couple of small sections I skipped when I hiked through last year. A monstrosity of a hill called Dragon's Tooth -- which won't be as bad in April as it was in heat of summer -- and some bits in Shenandoah.

Plus, I figure the hiking in April in Virginia is more enjoyable than in New England at that time of year.

Thanks for the helpful link.

Toolshed
01-25-2007, 08:21
Check your bag. For both domestic and international travel, I have found the best thing to do is use a duffle bag (Not an older army "top-open" style, but the style that sits lengthwise on the ground and has a zipper lengthwise along the top).

I keep my backpack unpacked and put it in the bottom with my hiking poles and tent poles bundled together (hiking poles protect tent poles from being bent) On top of that I put my gear and clothes. )I usually try to wear my big heavy boots on the plane).

This allows TSA rapid access and easy viewing of you gear. Leaving it packed in the backpack inside the duffle, means that if they want to inspect, they need to break everything down and unpack stuff. They will not be pleased. Goal is to keep them pleased. (before 9-11, packing it and sticking it in a duffle was the norm for me).

I wouldn't carry anything otherwise on the plane except for personal items, change of clothes, entertainment and the like.

Ewker
01-25-2007, 12:34
I pack everything in an oversize duffle. I will wrap up my trekking poles with a pad so they won't get bent. No fuel, lighters or matches can go in a checked bag. I think you can still take strike on box matches (up to 2 boxes) with you on the plane but not strike anywhere matches.

hopefulhiker
01-25-2007, 21:22
A Luxury Lite pack will fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane. Just take one of the cylinders off and call it a personal item.... I have done this..

Moxie00
01-25-2007, 22:26
My wife and I have flown all over the world with backpacking gear, Europe, New Zealand, Canada, Alaska and many triops to western US. Carry NO fuel. No problem with stakes or hiking poles. We put everything in a duffel bag and check it through. Depending on where we are going and number of days we will be out we either carrya wisperlite or alcohol stove. We call ahead to make sure fuel will be available somewhere between where we land and where we plan to hike. With todays restrictions I doubt that carry on is an option.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2007, 22:58
I like Ewker's idea about the big-ass dufflebag.

You can get a heavy duty one with a good zipper, handle, and shoulder strap at any Army-Navy store.

The thick canvas will both protect your bag, it'll keep zippers and tags and other things on your pack from getting caught or snagged on anything, and it'll help protect the contents of your bag from curious fingers.

Check with the airline about what is and what is not OK to have in checked baggage; every airline is different.

Also, Pokey, keep in mind that if flying turns into a pain in the ass, there's excellent daily rail service from Boston to DC. Oh, and there will be quite a few New England people heading down South come April; you might find someone here on WB that's driving down and could get you to where you need to go. Cheaper than plane or train, and a lot more pleasant.

Knees
01-26-2007, 00:04
Putting the pack in a duffel is the way to go. I love the green Army top-loaders as they're cheap and really strong.

ANHINGA
01-26-2007, 00:09
If you are flying out of an "up to date" security airport, be prepared for the chemical sensors to flag your luggage if any fuel residues or other things have left a trace. My duffle was gone over for nitrate chemical traces that we finally figured out must have been picked up in the trunk of my car where a bag of fertilizer I'd brought home must have left some residue.

But for a moment their mental headline read: Backpacker Attempts to Smuggle Ammonium Nitrate Aboard Flight.

In truth, the security people were great; they acted professionally in not assuming that my innocent middle class anglo demeanor was any reason to let down their guard. They politely but firmly asked me to step out of line and answer some questions while they thoroughly inspected my belongings, and they wished me well once they were satisfied I was as harmless as I appeared.

FanaticFringer
01-26-2007, 00:38
This bag is hard to beat for the size/price:
www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=157148&Category_Code=101

sweetpeastu
01-26-2007, 01:39
Hey Pokey! I live in Virginia....if you're going to Dragon's Tooth you're in my neck of the woods. If you want company on the trail lemme know. Have u ever been to McAfee Knob? It's right up the road from Dragons Tooth and is the one of the most photographed areas on the AT. It's only a 7 mile hike round trip, if you're just going to the overlook.

Pokey2006
01-26-2007, 03:31
Hey, great suggestions everyone! Thanks so much. Jack, I will check out the train service one of these days. I do try to get down to DC a couple times a year, and I really hate to fly. And the bus is, well, the bus.

I'm actually thinking about mailing some of my stuff ahead of me -- only because it's going to my brother's house, so it's safer to do it that way than to a PO or hotel. Then again, if I get a direct flight, I might use that duffel bag idea and just check the bag. Think I'll keep the expensive gear -- new Petzl headlamp, down sleeping bag, digital camera etc., as a carry-on in a day pack.

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great ideas.

Ewker
01-26-2007, 10:31
Think I'll keep the expensive gear -- new Petzl headlamp, down sleeping bag, digital camera etc., as a carry-on in a day pack.

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great ideas.

be careful as they are cracking down on the size of a carry-on now.

I have got to the point I don't carry anything on except for my camera. Only reason I do that is because I have a digital SLR camera that I don't want in the duffle bag or small day pack.

Fly By Mike
01-26-2007, 10:48
Hey Pokey, I'll be heading down that way sometime in April to hike a little with my son MrHappy (currently NOBO near Franklin NC and planning to be in VA in April). In my airplane you don't have to worry about carry on - its the same compartment for people and bags. Keep in touch close to April and maybe I can hook you up with the ultimate hitch if you can get yourself to the Berkshires.

Fly By Mike
01-26-2007, 10:52
Oops, I just read your last post and the words "I hate to fly". Maybe my offer won't be very appealing.