PDA

View Full Version : FBC Pasta-Need to some advice

iliketacos
01-25-2007, 03:07
What's the deal with FBC pasta? Can I just buy it at the store and throw it in the bag w/boiling water and....? I need some help, I'm too stubborn to dehydrate and have my family mail me drop boxes. I've read a ton of posts on the subject here about pre-cooked Beralla pasta and regular pasta with starchy taste. If anyone has general FBC guidelines for pasta with bag times I would appreciate it. What I'm looking for is Angel Hair, Mac & Cheese, and regular pasta bag times.

:-?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

jlb2012
01-25-2007, 08:46
I bag cook macaroni all the time - I use 4 ounces dry macaroni with some salt in the bag - pour in about 1.75 cups of boiling water and wait 30-40 minutes. Drain the remaining water and add whatever else I want in it at that time (spices, tunafish, mustard, ...). Important to have a cozy that holds the heat well.

sarbar
01-25-2007, 19:59
Angel hair cooks in a bag with little issues, as do the Hispanic pastas you can find in some grocery stores (they are usually small pieces of pasta). Also of course ramen works great.
Problem when you get into bigger pasta (rigatoni, bowties, etc) they really need boiling water in a lot of water, or they get all starchy covered (not good eating). Pasta of course is uncooked when you buy it.
But if you are willing to boil at home and dry pasta in your oven (you don't need a dehydrator!) you get instant non starchy pasta :)

Or you can always use ramen instead as a sub ;)

On a side note, tortellin and ravioli (the ones they sell dried in the pasta aisle) do work in freezer bags, you just need to let them sit for 15-20 minutes. They are technically precooked, and the long sit rehydrates them.

iliketacos
01-26-2007, 12:29
Starts a FBC basic cook times chart:

Not Dehydrated.

Macaroni: 4 oz. 1 3/4 cup water 30-40 minutes.

Angel Hair: ? oz. ? water ? minutes

Ramen: 1 package 1 1/2 cup water 10 minutes

Anyone feel free to add. Thanks.

Nightwalker
01-31-2007, 15:20
Ramen: 1 package 1 1/2 cup water 10 minutes

Anyone feel free to add. Thanks.

Ramen in cold water: 30 minutes. Heat it up at eating time.