PDA

View Full Version : PATC Cabins in SNP

Teatime
01-25-2007, 06:18
Hi All, My family and I are looking into renting one of the PATC cabins in SNP during Spring Break. We plan on using the cabin as a base for some nice day hikes and exploring. Since I have no experience with these cabins, I was wondering if any of you Whiteblazers did. Here is a list of the cabins I'm looking at:
Corbin
Range View
Rock Spring
Pocoson
Jones Mountain.
Any input or preferences would be appreciated

Fannypack
01-25-2007, 07:47
http://www.patc.net/activities/cabins/ (links on left side of this page have ALL info u should need) - u may want to check the availability link first -
it is my understanding, the best ones (close to Skyline Dr, like Pocosin) go fast so may want to rent asap

Also this link, http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/index.htm , maybe helpful to locate the SNP info that u want/need

stag3
01-25-2007, 07:52
My PATC cabin experience is limited to the Medows cabin. The place was really clean and well maintained.

Last year I stayed at the Rock Springs shelter (not the cabin) and some folks were renting the Rock Spring cabin at the same time. Seemed to me like they carried a lot of gear a long way to get to the cabin. I think Corbin is also remote. Depending on the size of your family, you might want to look for a place near the road. But then, maybe you want a long hike? Just my observations.

Stag3

stag3
01-25-2007, 07:55
Oh yea, two more things...I think PATC menbers get to reserve cabins before the general public. Also, talk to the PATC volunteers because some of the cabins have almost no firewood nearby.

Stag3

jlb2012
01-25-2007, 09:09
The walking to Jones cabin is long but at least you are coming from the boundary and not Skyline Drive so you can get in even if the park closes the drive due to snow/ice. The hike up to Bear Church is nice too. Jones cabin is at the end of a spur trail also so you won't have many visitors/hikers passing by.

carolina trekker
01-25-2007, 09:13
Rock Springs is a great one. Easy to get to. I also have stayed at the Doyles River cabin 3 times. You might want to check it out.

carolina trekker
01-25-2007, 09:15
Jones cabin is a pretty good hike in, very secluded. The parking area for the cabin is not in the best location either. Just off the side of a forest service road.

Creek Dancer
01-25-2007, 09:56
Doyles River Cabin is great and there are lots of options for day hikes. The water source is generally reliable. I have stayed there twice. I think it's haunted though.

Sly
01-25-2007, 10:10
Pocosin is right off the AT, very rustic. If the other cabins are anything like it, make sure to bring plenty of artificial light, it's dark even with the windows open.

jlb2012
01-25-2007, 10:18
spring at Pocosin cabin is very good

Skyline
01-25-2007, 10:36
My favorite PATC cabin within SNP is Corbin. It IS remote, about 1.5 miles from Skyline Drive and almost 3 miles from the boundary. It has a great water source next door and both a fireplace and a wood stove. I believe it can accommodate about a dozen people inside.

Corbin is also historic, on the National Register of Historic Places. A prepared history book kept at the cabin will be illuminmating about the cabin's history and the history of Nicholson Hollow, once dubbed "Free State Hollow."

If the Drive happens to be closed during Spring Break (not a probability but a possibility) you can get in from the eastern boundary by coming up the Nicholson Hollow Trail. You will want to get PATC's Central District map to see how and where, and to see the other trails nearby that offer dayhiking possibilities. There are two significant stream fords coming in this way--I would not recommend these in high water for the timid or the very young.

rswanson
01-25-2007, 16:44
Rock Spring has an amazing sunset view of the Shenadoah Valley. There's a good spring right there, too. It's right off of the AT and about a mile hike in from Hawksbill Mt. parking.

I camped (oops!) on the lawn in front of two cabins right off of Old Rag fire road, east of the Corbin Mt. Trail. Maps have this listed as the Whiteoak Cabin & ranger station. Is this correct? Who rents that place?

jlb2012
01-25-2007, 16:50
not for rent - as it says it is a ranger station - rangers live there in the season or at least they used to

Teatime
01-25-2007, 17:03
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm a section hiker but my wife and son don't hike as much. Since my son's Spring break is the 1st week of April, I don't expect it to be too bad. I have done several overnighters at this time of year and have never seen snow. Should be a fun time with opportunities for some nice hikes and smores!

rswanson
01-25-2007, 18:17
not for rent - as it says it is a ranger station - rangers live there in the season or at least they used to
Probably why it was deserted; we were there mid-October. Anyway, nice little set-up they have going there.

Spirit Walker
01-25-2007, 19:31
Corbin is a good climb back to the parkway. Nice hiking in the area though. One time we were hiking there and ran into some descendents of the Corbin family, scattering the ashes of one of the grandchildren. Up at the parking lot we met a woman who lived in the cabin as a child. She decided not to hike down with the rest. I enjoyed meeting her. It reminded us of how the Park came into being. Not a nice story.

Blissful
01-25-2007, 20:40
We've stayed at Doyles River with a bunch of teens from our church, My hubby was at Jones Mtn. with Boy Scouts and we were just up there last week. Nice place but I thought the spring wasn't very good (a small pool of water which I guess is okay if your don't have a large gorup). Doyles has a good spring and nice trail system. Easy hike in. But I agree - the cabins are very dark. We brought oil lanterns.

Also, rental is two months in advance.