PDA

View Full Version : Personal Safety and Dogtags/ID...

Touch of Grey
01-25-2007, 12:39
Just wondering how many out there have actually given thought to what others would find or look for should they find me or others unconscience (unable to respond) along the trail?

I have given it some thought and while some would say that they will have ID somewhere on there person or in their pack, I have given thought to carrying a set of dogtags made at a local military surplus store who makes them.

My thinking is this, I want it easily found and have the most amount of information conveyed in the least amount of space. Thus, I would have my full name, SS# (yes, I know some people are paranoid about this type of thing but when you are unconscience it is one of the few ways of getting more information reliably about you for Emergency Personnel.), Emergency Telephone number (this should be included something like this and people with cell phones would be wise to make this Autodial 1 on their phone. ICE - In Case of Emergency followed by the ten-digit number), Blood type if known and any allergies. In the case of Dogtags the space is limited to 5 lines of info so you need to spell it out clearly in a few words.

What are others thoughts on this idea? Most of you former and current military personnel should weigh in on this. Where is the best places besides around the neck to display or store DT's? Marines place the second generally in a boot.

TOG:-?

Blissful
01-25-2007, 12:45
Never thought of that. Then again, I'm hiking with another. I guess it would be good to have some kind of ID info somewhere in your personal item ziploc if not a dog tag. (I plan to carry a medical insurance card and a licence anyway) Though I would probably forgo the SS number. Definitely if you have a major medical condition though, a dog tag is important. I should maybe think of getting one for my son who is allergic to bees (we will be carrying a epi pen that is, gulp, heavy but a life saver).

RiverWarriorPJ
01-25-2007, 12:52
BZ....good idea, especially 4 us relics & solo hikers....

fonsie
01-25-2007, 12:56
Well im a solo hiker and so far I have'nt had no problems. That is a good Idea though I might do this for my thru hike. Thanks touch of grey

1Pint
01-25-2007, 13:21
Just wondering how many out there have actually given thought to what others would find or look for should they find me or others unconscience (unable to respond) along the trail?
What are others thoughts on this idea?
TOG:-?

You might want to consider this product http://www.roadid.com/id.asp#shoe instead of dogtags. There's more space for info and the id is designed to work with shoe laces.

unl1988
01-25-2007, 13:31
Dogtags are a good idea, they can have the important information on them. The only drawback that I have found (I am in the military) is that they are kind of annoying when you wear them around your neck. They are comfortable in a bootlace, if you have a spot where it won't chafe or rub. I normally loop them through a belt loop and put them in my pocket.

The ID tag listed by 1pint looks like a good idea too.

Bottom line, some sort of ID is a good idea, Dogtags are ok, and they would make a good momento after the hike.

mambo_tango
01-25-2007, 13:47
Definitely if you have a major medical condition though, a dog tag is important. I should maybe think of getting one for my son who is allergic to bees (we will be carrying a epi pen that is, gulp, heavy but a life saver).

Yeah EpiPen! My mom wanted to get me a medallion or a bracelet. Not likely that I will be unconcious in the woods from my allergies... more likely in town where all the dangerous food is :eek: .

saimyoji
01-25-2007, 14:23
Too heavy. Get a tatoo.

neo
01-25-2007, 14:24
i am a diabetic,i need to get a tag:cool: neo

Tipi Walter
01-25-2007, 14:33
What would others find or look for? Hopefully just my bleached white skull next to some dynamite gear.

Or better yet, nothing. So that 50 years from now people will say

"Whatever happened to that hiking fool, Tipi Walter?"

"No one knows, I guess he's still out there in the mountains somewhere."

mambo_tango
01-25-2007, 14:41
What would others find or look for? Hopefully just my bleached white skull next to some dynamite gear.

Than if not - a rotting body next to some dynamite gear. I wouldn't be pleased if I found either one.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-25-2007, 14:42
I am not a diabetic or have allergies, but last year i stumbled from a ledge....only received a few cuts & scrapes, but, 3x's on the way down my head was about 2 meet up w/a rock when my hands/arms made it there just in time......<~~Came very close to needing an emergency ID....
z
x.

Tipi Walter
01-25-2007, 15:00
Than if not - a rotting body next to some dynamite gear. I wouldn't be pleased if I found either one.

I think you would be quite pleased with my gear, but I'm just overly attached.

Anyway, the trails I backpack are so heavily underused and remote that the question is almost moot, bringing me back again to that lonely white skull sitting by the trail. The wild wilderness coyotes will certainly play tag with it. Dog Tag.

gdwelker
01-25-2007, 18:12
My wife and I had tags made - name, emergency contact info - and really cheaply too - we had them done at Petsmart - real "DOG" tags - cheap, effective, and easy.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2007, 20:28
You're kind of limited space-wise as far as information with dogtags.

I have my "Emergency Contact" info in the front cover of my Handbook, which is always at the top of my pack, i.e. very easy to find. The same information is also on a card in my wallet.

People with medical conditions, allergies to certain medicines or treatments, etc., might want to consider a "Medic-Alert" bracelet which most people are familiar with and can easily recognize.

iliketacos
01-25-2007, 21:05
I would also advise any tags to be worn on the shoe/boot lace if you can, especially if you have medical issues, this will allow the responder to complete the first aid check without going into your pack. That's the way we did it in the service, it allows for instant ID in case anything goes awry. Also, the good thing about putting your tags on your boots is if the worst happens most likely your boots will survive. My $.01 worth. Safe hiking.

Vi+
01-26-2007, 12:01
I carry a kit with frequently used items and emergency items on the outside of my pack or on my person. It includes a laminated card with: my name; medical conditions; medical insurance company and their telephone number, my policy number and identification number; my wife’s name and telephone number (she doesn’t hike), and; our credit card numbers.

I attached a red aluminum “dog tag” to the outside of my pack at the top. Space is limited. It includes my wife’s name and telephone number, and my medical conditions and blood type.

strnorm
01-26-2007, 20:35
I carry a dog tag, and a bag tag on zipper on pack

Mouse
01-26-2007, 22:47
I have epilepsy. It is controlled by medication but still, I wanted an extra bit of security just in case. So I word processed a small card with my name, address phone number, blood type, medications and the note that I have epilepsy. Then I laminated it with clear plastic tape and added a string to wear around my neck.

The night I stayed at NOC on my thruhike, my cabinmake was discovered lying unconscious on the grounds and was medivaced by helicopter. It took hours to figure out it was him and even then they were not sure of his identity etc. That underscored how real the possibility is.

So I was just as glad to have that tag around my neck and wore it my entire throughhike.

It never hurts to be prepared.

K0OPG
01-27-2007, 07:20
I just ordered and received the dog tags from IMSPLUS. had name, addr, phon, blood type, stamped on the silver ones and had my medical information stamped on a red one which notifies someone that you have an allergy or some type of medical condition.

Saimyoji...I also have my dog tag information tattooed on my side. In the Marines we called it a "meat tag".

oldfivetango
01-27-2007, 07:25

Or better yet, nothing. So that 50 years from now people will say

"Whatever happened to that hiking fool, Tipi Walter?"

"No one knows, I guess he's still out there in the mountains somewhere."

What I heard was that he was out there trapping
with Jeremiah Johnson........
Cheers,
OFT

buckowens
01-28-2007, 20:57
As somebody who has looked for hurt folks in the past, at the least put the basics on a card and especially medicine allergies for the medical first responders. I believe the abbreviation for no medicine allergies is N.K.A. (No known allergies). Basic contact info is always great for contacting next of kin in the event of unconsiousness or the more unfortunate situations. I am military as well, and wear a dogtag in my boot when I fly in case of a big smoking hole scenario...

Tipi Walter
01-28-2007, 23:16
What I heard was that he was out there trapping
with Jeremiah Johnson........
Cheers,
OFT

"Is that rabbit yore cooking?" "Why? Grown particular?" OR:

"Jeremiah, you've been acting sort of strange lately, maybe you need to get out of the woods for awhile, see some folks." Reply: "I've been to a town."

Not the exact words but close enough. Watch yer topknot.

LovelyDay
04-11-2007, 18:45
Here's an idea that won't give you a hernia when you wear it.

SanDisk makes a U3 micro flash drive that runs for about $19.99 and has 512 Mb of memory that will plug into the USB of any pc or laptop. That should be more than enough memory to store info such as blood type, contact persons, medications list, insurance providers, etc. Most EMTs and ER persons have laptops and are savy about using this type of technology. There are several other brands and prices available depending on memory size.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2228)-SDCZY-512-SanDisk_Cruzer_Freedom_512MB.aspx (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2228)-SDCZY-512-SanDisk_Cruzer_Freedom_512MB.aspx)

www.U3.com (http://www.U3.com)

ShakeyLeggs
04-11-2007, 19:38
Here is another option I have found;

http://www.verichipcorp.com/

aaroniguana
04-11-2007, 20:46
OK that smacks of Orwell...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2007, 22:11
If I had a severe allergy, diabetes, epilepsy or a similar condition, I would consider getting a small tattoo on my chest where medical personnel would find it.

As for ID on the trail, a small metal dogtag attached to a bootlace. I carry my driver's license with a small printout of medical info and contact info for my brother and a son in a mini ziplock with my debit card in my pack.

Flexo
04-13-2007, 01:06
As a hiker, motorcyclist and graduate of several 12 step programs :eek:, I can tell you that if you have an emergency the EMT or whoever stumbles upon you is not going to go through your backpack and look in your 2nd pair of pants to find your personal information on a note card that is wadded up in a ziplock bag.

If you have a medical condition or concern get some sort of tag like the road ID (or whatever) that clearly identifies you, your person info and any conditions. Otherwise, they will just do thier best based on training.

frieden
04-13-2007, 02:22
I didn't get my medical/info tags done yet, but Ed's tag reads "Stroke Alert Dog", so that might give someone a clue.

Bare Bear
04-22-2007, 11:38
Having been a first responder for nearly 30 years:

The Social Security number is useless, don't use it.

The blood type check will be done before you get any blood products no matter what you or your tag says. It doesn't hurt but.........

The most important is the next of kin that has representative powers (you need to fill out and get notorized simple paper before your trip). Most important should be the cell phone or best phone number to contact NOT YOUR HOME NUMBER where it is unlikely anyone will be during the day!

Whomever is your rep should have a copy of your Medical History, Allergies, current medications, and insurance info is also helpful.

Bare Bear fl-ga-me 06