PDA

View Full Version : Non-Oatmeal/Poptarts Breakfest Ideas?

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 14:17
I need some help and suggestions for breakfest foods. The problem is I can't stand oatmeal or poptarts. Anyone have any ideas for other options? These would have to be things I could find during resupply stops.

Right now I usually eat a ceral bar or gorp. I was looking for something more to fuel my engine. Sometimes I cook a diner for breakfest. That works, but I am looking for variety in my meals.

Thanks.

neo
01-25-2007, 14:18
I need some help and suggestions for breakfest foods. The problem is I can't stand oatmeal or poptarts. Anyone have any ideas for other options? These would have to be things I could find during resupply stops.

Right now I usually eat a ceral bar or gorp. I was looking for something more to fuel my engine. Sometimes I cook a diner for breakfest. That works, but I am looking for variety in my meals.

Thanks.
i like raison cinnamon bagels with peanut butter or nuttela on them:cool: neo

Footslogger
01-25-2007, 14:22

Thanks.

========================================

Have you tried the Quaker bars ?? I can't stomach Poptarts any more either but I find the Quaker bars (3 - 4 flavors) a lot better. High calorie and great with a cup of coffee or Tang.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 14:29
Good ideas.

I tried the bars. I like them and usually have some type of ceral bar with me. I just know I will get sick of them after a few weeks.

Pacific Tortuga
01-25-2007, 14:30
I just was given a box of Lara Bars. OK tasty, they are healthy and look to be good in cold or heat. www.larabar.com (http://www.larabar.com) out of Denver, CO.

headchange4u
01-25-2007, 14:31
Polenta with cinnamon and a little powdered milk and syurp if you have it or Polenta with dried fruit (I like strawberries or blueberries) a little powdered coffee creamer, a little powdered milk, and a liberal dose of sugar.

I will have some of both at Winter Hammock Campout!

I really have grown fond of polenta, especially on the breakfast menu.

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 14:31
I forgot to add that I am doing a few mail drops (pick up winter/summer gear and maps for section). This will be for food bought in towns. I am going to add dehydrated food for all meals in my mail drops.

Tipi Walter
01-25-2007, 14:42
I forgot to add that I am doing a few mail drops (pick up winter/summer gear and maps for section). This will be for food bought in towns. I am going to add dehydrated food for all meals in my mail drops.

Do you know a good source of powdered eggs? With a small fry pan and some of them you could have a great meal of scrambled eggs for breakfast. You could add them to your mail drops and carry enough until the next drop as you won't find them in any town. But who wants to carry a fry pan?

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 14:45
Do you know a good source of powdered eggs? With a small fry pan and some of them you could have a great meal of scrambled eggs for breakfast. You could add them to your mail drops and carry enough until the next drop as you won't find them in any town. But who wants to carry a fry pan?

If I could find them, it would be a nice change. I could fry them up in my pot and add some cheeze.

Fiddler
01-25-2007, 15:00
Try grits. Get the instant kind and just add hot water. You can put in powdered butter (sorta hard to find), some type of sweetener, honey is good, Bacon bits, cheese, anything else for flavoring. Some places you find grits with different flavoring already in.

headchange4u
01-25-2007, 15:01
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=631&HS=1&gclid=CJiqlKqg_IkCFSIdSQodpCXRSQ

These are supposed to be the best tasting egg out there, but I have never tried them. I bet they would be good with some bacon bits mixed in with the eggs.

Tipi Walter
01-25-2007, 15:08
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=631&HS=1&gclid=CJiqlKqg_IkCFSIdSQodpCXRSQ

These are supposed to be the best tasting egg out there, but I have never tried them. I bet they would be good with some bacon bits mixed in with the eggs.

Wowie Zowie! Thanks for the link!

jesse
01-25-2007, 15:12
I bet they would be good with some bacon bits

or summer sausage. They do not need to be refidgerated. They also make tasty snack food.

geckobunny
01-25-2007, 15:12
oatmeal, poptarts...

cream of wheat, coco wheats, grape nuts, grits (with cheese and jalpenos), bacon (precooked), fruit (fresh and dried), nuts, rice cereal (like cream of wheat, but it's rice...health food section), oatmeal cookies, larabars rock :), rice and cinnamon (& dried apples)...

I'm sure you could come up with a lot more, get creative

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 15:13
One 2.25 pound can of Powdered Whole Eggs is equivalent to 170 Fresh Whole Eggs.

Wow that's a lot of eggs!

Blissful
01-25-2007, 15:34
I like the idea of also eating cold cereal for breakfast, with the Nido powered milk (I like the Cinnamon Life cereal myself). Esp if you don't want to cook and clean every AM. Like you my son hates oatmeal so we hope that well work (he plans to bring Cheerios). And we are making lots of different bars, etc with the help of a great cookbook that my hubby picked up from the ATC. Pop tarts are junk and oatmeal is processed with loads of sugar and little nutrition. I figure if you eat the right sutff you can go longer and enjoy the hike better.

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 15:39
Keep the good ideas coming.

Blissful, now that you mention it I remember back in my Boy Scout days eating cereal with hot cholcate. As long as the flavors mix well, it tasted pretty good.

rafe
01-25-2007, 15:42
There are lots of hot cereals besides oatmeal. Wheatena is pretty interesting. As with a lot of similar foods, the better (more nutritious) ones take longer to cook, but should be amenable to "cozy" cooking. Cream of rice isn't all that interesting but you can mix almost anything with it to spiff it up -- butter/margarine, peanut butter, gorp, dried fruit, etc. One (dry) ounce of cream of rice makes a serving.

max patch
01-25-2007, 15:44
grape nuts with powered milk and honey. tang and a vitamin pill. breakfast of champions.

mnof1000v
01-25-2007, 16:21
I like a dense cereal, like frosted mini-wheats. They hold up well, taste good, and if you're in a hurry, or just don't want to make milk from the dry-milk packets, you can eat them dry.

A few times on my thru I elected to buy those cheap berry pies you find in grocery stores, but those typically suck for nutrition.

Cereal bars are cool, but typically low-cal.

I don't particularly care for it, but a lot of people used Carnation instant breakfast.

Footslogger
01-25-2007, 16:25
[quote=mnof1000v;309752]I like a dense cereal, like frosted mini-wheats. They hold up well, taste good, and if you're in a hurry, or just don't want to make milk from the dry-milk packets, you can eat them dry.

============================================

That was one of my alternates too. Lots of different coatings. Pretty indestructible and even if they do get smoooshed (technical word) they're eddible and taste good !!

The real "airy" cereals are light but you gotta eat a ton of it to fill the void!

'Slogger

PJ 2005
01-25-2007, 17:29
Cereal! A million varieties. Why cook? I never make hot breakfasts at home, so it's no different.

jazilla
01-25-2007, 17:30
Granola bars now come covered in chocolate. Also Snickers makes some awesome energy bars. I like the multi-grain

smokymtnsteve
01-25-2007, 17:38
whole wheat pancakes with dried cranberies..or fresh blueberries picked in season.
topped with honey...mmmm

along with french pressed peruvian coffee..

bulldog49
01-25-2007, 17:46
I like Carnation Instan Breakfast. Very convenient, drink it hot on a cold morning, or cold if I'm in a hurry to get started.

Swass
01-25-2007, 18:05
whole wheat pancakes with dried cranberies..or fresh blueberries picked in season.
topped with honey...mmmm

along with french pressed peruvian coffee..

Nice. I'm more of an eggs benedict kind of girl. And Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

In asia you start the day with a big bowl of noodle soup. You can get good ones at an asian market - not fried noodles like ramen, but wide rice noodles, like pho. I've converted a couple hiking buddies to this style. I love oatmeal too, but sometimes you need to mix it up.

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 18:09
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep them coming, my stomach thanks you.

smokymtnsteve
01-25-2007, 18:11
Nice. I'm more of an eggs benedict kind of girl. And Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

In asia you start the day with a big bowl of noodle soup. You can get good ones at an asian market - not fried noodles like ramen, but wide rice noodles, like pho. I've converted a couple hiking buddies to this style. I love oatmeal too, but sometimes you need to mix it up.

ah eggs benediction quit an addiction...

esp if you subsitute smoked salmon for round ham;)

Lone Wolf
01-25-2007, 18:13
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep them coming, my stomach thanks you.

I carry bacon and eggs out of town. enuf for 3 mornings.

rafe
01-25-2007, 18:26
esp if you subsitute smoked salmon for round ham;)

Smoked salmon is enough by itself.... :) very tasty trail food, but I've only seen it in specialty food stores like Trader Joes. It would have to be supplied via mail drops..

Lilred
01-25-2007, 18:31
you can buy precooked bacon now. Took it on my section last summer and it lasts a good three days in warm weather. Hiking in cold temps, it would probably last a week. That is after it is opened.

mweinstone
01-25-2007, 18:32
silly people. bars are for prisoners. white sausage gravy mix ove bagles crumbled. rib stckin food no hiker can deny. i dare anyone not to be happy happy.

mweinstone
01-25-2007, 18:33
silly people. bars are for prisoners. white sausage gravy mix ove bagles crumbled. rib stckin food no hiker can deny. i dare anyone not to be happy happy.

add cheese and die happy. dont add cheese myself. learned from red b and lp. best trail partner ever.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2007, 18:35
silly double poster

The Weasel
01-25-2007, 18:52

Thanks.

Yellow Grits. NOT hominy, but yellor (also known as polenta). On a weight basis, better than oatmeal or pasta (1 oz with 3 oz water makes 4 oz, rather than the 1:2 for oatmal or pasta). Nutritionally very good, with an appreciable amount of protein, has a nutty flavor and takes other flavorings (sweet, sauces, whatever) very well. "Bob's Red Mill" is available at most grocery stores, even more common under other brands in southern AT towns.

The Weasel

Phil1959
01-25-2007, 19:09
Sorry I had to laugh at the grit answer.This northerner got harrassed down south bout us not having grits in the diners in NY. Lets be real,grits,oatmeal same stuff, different grain.Personally like them all.grits,oats,wheat,rice. All are good.With butter,of course.Try taking different hot cereal along with some good granola. Plenty of variety out there if ya look into it.

Skidsteer
01-25-2007, 19:10
Zone bars are a good mix of protein and carbs and there are a lot of flavors to choose from. Wal-Marts have them.

I second the grits/polenta suggestion. I like mine with salsa(single-serving packs from Waffle House and Huddle House or dehydrated salsa).

bobgessner57
01-25-2007, 19:34
Hot grape nuts with honey, butter, dried fruit and powdered cow. Just heat and eat, can vary the taste by varying the fruit additives or with cinnamon, etc.

Grits and jerky

Granola, good dry or with milk, can stew some dried fruit and top with granola to make something like a crisp.

Various dried fruits like apricots can often be found cheap at some of the dollar stores.

Vanilla or french vanilla pudding, the cook kind, add rice, raisins and some cinnamon or similar spices and eat as it semi sets and still warm. Excellent on a frosty morning or eat at supper and keep half to eat cold in the morning.

The Christmas fruitcake that keeps getting passed around.

Cookerhiker
01-25-2007, 21:53
First of all re oatmeal, is it only the packaged overly sweet Quaker stuff that you dislike or any form of oatmeal? If the former, try making your own oatmeal at home: quick oats, flaxmeal, cracked wheat, a creative spice (clove, ginger, allspice), powdered milk, and just the right amount of brown or raw sugar.

Still don't like oatmeal? Make up a mix of the aforementioned ingredients sans oats, boil for a minute, add couscous, let it steam for a few minutes and you have a nutritious breakfast.

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 22:20
First of all re oatmeal, is it only the packaged overly sweet Quaker stuff that you dislike or any form of oatmeal? If the former, try making your own oatmeal at home: quick oats, flaxmeal, cracked wheat, a creative spice (clove, ginger, allspice), powdered milk, and just the right amount of brown or raw sugar.

Still don't like oatmeal? Make up a mix of the aforementioned ingredients sans oats, boil for a minute, add couscous, let it steam for a few minutes and you have a nutritious breakfast.

Interesting idea. It is pretty much all oatmeal that I have tried. Just something about it. Being from the North, grits are just as bad.

I'll have to try the couscous idea sometime.

The Weasel
01-25-2007, 23:03
Sorry I had to laugh at the grit answer.This northerner got harrassed down south bout us not having grits in the diners in NY. Lets be real,grits,oatmeal same stuff, different grain.Personally like them all.grits,oats,wheat,rice. All are good.With butter,of course.Try taking different hot cereal along with some good granola. Plenty of variety out there if ya look into it.

Phil --

Yellow grits are NOT the same thing as "breakfast grits", which are hominy.

New Yorkers know yellow grits as "polenta" usually.

Yellow is also known sometimes (particularly historically) as "corn meal mush" when boiled and served with syrup or gravy.

The Weasel

Krewzer
01-25-2007, 23:26
I like the cold cereal thing. It's quick, easy and uses no fuel. Read the nutrition labels and get the ones with all the calories you can find. At organic groceries you can find some very good granolas (like pumpkin spice) that deliver 200+ calories per 1/2 cup. With an added pack of vanilla flavored carnation instant breakfast, you can add another 130 calories. With the powdered milk or nido you add another 100 or so calories. That will get you started with around 500 calories.

Now if you're thru-hiking and depending on where you are, this may or may not get you to lunch. If, for instance, you've made it to Connecticut, you'll "want" to double or triple that bowl of granola and add a snicker bar dipped in peanut butter and some gatorade just before you put on your pack and head out on the day's adventure. Then, around 9:30, you'll probably want to have another snicker's bar (the extra large size) wrapped in a garlic and onion bagel covered in honey, m&m's, peanuts, whatever smelly greasy cheese you have on hand and tabasco to kick it up a notch...and maybe a pack of those Little Debbie cream filled oatmeals cookie snack thingies.
Oh Yea Baby!!! :D

Webs
01-25-2007, 23:37
those big otis-spunkmeyer (sp?) muffins can pack in about 500 calories! :eek: crazy. seems like a good, large, and easily-accessible surge of energy to get your day going strong

soulrebel
01-26-2007, 00:17
We usually carry a dozen eggs out of town and consume them over the next 2-3 days. we have bacon bits in our food bag along with chedder cheese. Sometimes a kielbasa from the night before-they seem GTG for a couple of days.

But there are just as many days where we'll eat several bars, granola, cereal-dry, jerky, cheese, bagel, dried or fresh fruit, and corn chips. Those are days that it's raining or we're trying to get an early start b/c a cheeseburger is ahead...

hammock engineer
01-26-2007, 02:23
Thanks for all the good ideas, now if I can only remember them while I am hiking.

As for calories, I see what you mean. Even on 2 day trips I usually stop and snack at least 4 times throughout the day.

Kerosene
01-26-2007, 09:56
From a cold cereal angle, I sometimes take Cracklin' Oat Bran (aka, Puppy Chow) augmented with dried apricots, dates, or raisins. The bran gives me a little fiber and the dried fruit adds a little moisture.

I also love to bring cinnamon-raisin bagel chips as a treat, which taste great after a week of hiking. I package them up in a small plastic Crystal Lite container.

Footslogger
01-26-2007, 10:05
All of the egg posts reminded me of something I did a couple times. I was in a town and bought a dozen eggs. I hardboiled them in my motel room and packed out whatever I did not eat during my town stay. It was a nice treat to eat a fresh hardboiled egg for breakfast those first few mornings and the shelf life (and durability) of hardboiled eggs is better than fresh ones.

'Slogger

Jim Bowie
01-26-2007, 10:21
The new Grape Nuts Trail Mix is unbelievably delicious: sweet, filling and not quite as dense as original. I always throw in a handful of dried bananas as well!

oldfivetango
01-27-2007, 08:11
How does one carry raw eggs in a backpack
without breaking them?
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:23
How does one carry raw eggs in a backpack
without breaking them?
Oldfivetango

Coughlan camping products sells a cheap 6 or 12 egg plastic egg holder. 1.5 oz. or just leave them in the carton and pack at the very tops of your pack.

Pokey2006
01-27-2007, 08:25
Sounds extravagant. And heavy. Wouldn't it be easier to just consider fresh eggs a treat to enjoy once you get to town??? I mean, to each their own, but that's nuts!

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:27
Sounds extravagant. And heavy. Wouldn't it be easier to just consider fresh eggs a treat to enjoy once you get to town??? I mean, to each their own, but that's nuts!

better than cold cereal. they don't weigh sht.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2007, 08:28
Phil --

Yellow grits are NOT the same thing as "breakfast grits", which are hominy.

New Yorkers know yellow grits as "polenta" usually.

Yellow is also known sometimes (particularly historically) as "corn meal mush" when boiled and served with syrup or gravy. Yellow grits (aka polenta when boiled too dry :D) are made from yellow hominy while white grits are made from white hominy. The yellow variety is a tiny bit sweeter, but they are pretty much identical. Corn meal mush is a grit-like dish made with corn meal which is ground corn (not hominy).

I'm on a diet and eat white grits for breakfast most mornings. While I am aware some misguided individuals (:D) put sugar in grits, God intended from them to be served with things like cheese, chopped ham / sausage / bacon and butter. They must be seasoned well - I use onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, celery seed and pepper in mine most of the time. The mixture sold as Cajun spice also makes a decent seasoning for grits.

Love,
Scarlet O'Dino

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2007, 08:36
Coughlan camping products sells a cheap 6 or 12 egg plastic egg holder. 1.5 oz. or just leave them in the carton and pack at the very tops of your pack.
Sounds extravagant. And heavy. Wouldn't it be easier to just consider fresh eggs a treat to enjoy once you get to town??? I mean, to each their own, but that's nuts!While I wouldn't recommend the egg carrier to most thru-hikers, it is a viable option for those who really love eggs and for many section / short distance backpackers. We have the 12 egg size and have used it. It has these things that look sort of like a straw that has had four slits cut in the end at either end to cushion the eggs. I've never broken an egg in that carrier (not so with the styrofoam cartons :eek:)

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:43
why not for a thru-hiker? doesn't weigh much. i've carried one thousands of miles.

Pokey2006
01-27-2007, 09:00
That's 'cuz y'all are crazy! To each their own, but I agree, that's outta control for a thru-hike. Or for any hike, for that matter!

Get eggs at the diner when you get to town, is what I say. But if you feel like you need to schlep a dozen eggs up and down mountains, go for it, dude! I'd love to witness that, actually. I think I'd find it highly amusing.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 09:06
That's 'cuz y'all are crazy! To each their own, but I agree, that's outta control for a thru-hike. Or for any hike, for that matter!

Get eggs at the diner when you get to town, is what I say. But if you feel like you need to schlep a dozen eggs up and down mountains, go for it, dude! I'd love to witness that, actually. I think I'd find it highly amusing.

a thru-hike is nothing more than a bunch of short section hikes strung together. if you want to witness it come to springer mtn. 3rd week of march and i'll put on a show. you oughta see me when i come out of hiawassee. steak, wine, baguettes, etc.

rafe
01-27-2007, 09:22
a thru-hike is nothing more than a bunch of short section hikes strung together. if you want to witness it come to springer mtn. 3rd week of march and i'll put on a show. you oughta see me when i come out of hiawassee. steak, wine, baguettes, etc.

I remember beer and greazy burgers at McQueens. I don't remember any feasts comin' out of your backpack. :-?

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 09:24
you knew me for a few days. i didn't feast every day, just out of towns

Cherokee Bill
01-27-2007, 10:59
:D go to www.freezerbagcooking.com (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com)

Excellent site. Heck, I even purchased their book;)

DavidNH
01-27-2007, 11:18
CEREAL BARS!!!! Man I could live off of this stuff. You could eat for instance honey nut cherio cereal bars. No water or milk needed. Just un wrap and enjoy. Tastes good, it's a quick breakfast with some calories. I never tired of them!!!

DavidNH

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2007, 11:55
why not for a thru-hiker? doesn't weigh much. i've carried one thousands of miles.LW, you were one of the thru-hikers I had in mind when I said egg carriers make sense for some thrus. It is a HYOH / matter of what is important to the specific hiker.

P.S. - hope Gypsy nibbled your toes for your birthday :D

hammock engineer
01-27-2007, 14:09
Thanks. I guess I was not thinking about normal breakfest food too.

You could put eggs in a plastic bag or ziplock, then put them in the middle of your clothes bag or sleeping bag. That should cushion them enough not to break.

Swass
01-27-2007, 15:30
... you'll probably want to have another snicker's bar (the extra large size) wrapped in a garlic and onion bagel covered in honey, m&m's, peanuts, whatever smelly greasy cheese you have on hand and tabasco to kick it up a notch...and maybe a pack of those Little Debbie cream filled oatmeals cookie snack thingies.
Oh Yea Baby!!! :D

Was I supposed to throw up a little in my mouth when I read that? Cuz I did. :D

Someone explain the egg thing to me. A chicken-owning friend has given me fresh eggs before and they don't have to be refrigerated immediately... but I thought the ones from the grocery store do! I don't know what the difference is, but that's the way I understood it. Obviously I didn't grow up on a farm.

Or are we assuming that it's not too hot out? I certainly wouldn't want to try it in Florida!

Mouse
01-27-2007, 15:48
You could always try a traditional trail breakfast that goes back nearly 150 years: http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm

You can even buy it by the traditional wooden crate and use the crate for a bounce box! :banana

Mouse
01-27-2007, 15:55
A more modern and practical option would be Bear Valley Fruit and Pemmican bars. They are about 400 calories per bar and stave off hunger for hours. I remember cleaning out the entire stock at the Hanover Food Co-Op to send ahead to Maine.

Nameless
01-27-2007, 17:59
I've always been a big fan of cous cous for breakfast.

Anymore I put some freeze dried blueberries (sometimes strawberries or peaches or apples or raspberries for a change) and some brown sugar with the cous cous. I always use freeze dried rather than dehydrated because they rehydrate immediatly and the flavor diffuses throughout the whole bag immediatly. Cannot think of a more amazing breakfast, esspecially without the extras in processed breakfastes. Try it, its amazing.

Pink

SherpaJeff
02-04-2007, 20:20
The eternal dilema.....inpiring breakfasts on the trail! I've started bringing packages of powdered milk which make a litre of cold milk if left over night...this way I can combine with any cereal I want. Each package can serve two breakfasts...one day muslix one day something else. I often resort to salty options like cup o soup and bars.

Captn
02-12-2007, 19:31
While I wouldn't recommend the egg carrier to most thru-hikers, it is a viable option for those who really love eggs and for many section / short distance backpackers. We have the 12 egg size and have used it. It has these things that look sort of like a straw that has had four slits cut in the end at either end to cushion the eggs. I've never broken an egg in that carrier (not so with the styrofoam cartons :eek:)

Wouldn't the Hen just follow right along behind you? Then you could have eggs every morning!

Bravo
02-12-2007, 19:47
Do eggs stay fresh longer in the shells?? I was wondering if you couldn't just crack a bunch of eggs into a ziplock(probably double bag). Would they go bad faster?

Rainbow_Brite
02-12-2007, 20:23
To answer the egg question, even store-bought eggs that come out of a fridge do not have to be refridgerated. When I was living in London, I discovered that they just put egg packages on the regular shelves. It was kinda hard to get used to.

In terms of breakfast, I swore by the berry pies while I was thru-hiking last year. Fat-wise they are HORRIBLE for you, but calories to weight they pack a good punch, and I always thought they tasted awesome in the morning. They're a little bulky though, so you have to be careful of that. My hiking partner really liked instant grits.

Midway Sam
02-12-2007, 21:16
I like the idea of also eating cold cereal for breakfast, with the Nido powered milk (I like the Cinnamon Life cereal myself). Esp if you don't want to cook and clean every AM. Like you my son hates oatmeal so we hope that well work (he plans to bring Cheerios). And we are making lots of different bars, etc with the help of a great cookbook that my hubby picked up from the ATC. Pop tarts are junk and oatmeal is processed with loads of sugar and little nutrition. I figure if you eat the right sutff you can go longer and enjoy the hike better.

I'm another fan of the Nestle Nido powdered milk (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FNestle-Nido-Instant-Whole-Milk%2Fdp%2FB00032B982&tag=samcondsryobbt30&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325). Being powdered whole milk, it seems to taste a little better than the others. I like a good hearty muesli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muesli) with some honey added. If you don't want to buy from Amazon.com, I've had good luck finding it in the hispanic food section at the "big box" grocery stores.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-12-2007, 21:21
Do eggs stay fresh longer in the shells?? I was wondering if you couldn't just crack a bunch of eggs into a ziplock(probably double bag). Would they go bad faster?They would go bad much faster - mother nature knows how to package food.

tha
02-12-2007, 21:37
grape nuts with powered milk and honey. tang and a vitamin pill. breakfast of champions.
That is good. Also good is to mix hot choc instead of the milk, add dates and dried fruit like blueberries. DELISH!! The honey is a real winner, but syrup works well also.

tha
02-12-2007, 22:00
Yellow grits (aka polenta when boiled too dry :D) are made from yellow hominy while white grits are made from white hominy. The yellow variety is a tiny bit sweeter, but they are pretty much identical. Corn meal mush is a grit-like dish made with corn meal which is ground corn (not hominy).

I'm on a diet and eat white grits for breakfast most mornings. While I am aware some misguided individuals (:D) put sugar in grits, God intended from them to be served with things like cheese, chopped ham / sausage / bacon and butter. They must be seasoned well - I use onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, celery seed and pepper in mine most of the time. The mixture sold as Cajun spice also makes a decent seasoning for grits.

Love,
Scarlet O'Dino
My way is salt, pepper, butter, tabasco. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! If you have redeye gravy, that is also a great way.

smokymtnsteve
02-12-2007, 22:13
add a good shot of olive oil to yore grits for the extra calories

also good is to add a pack of tuna fish to em

mmm grits and fish

TDale
02-12-2007, 22:19
add a good shot of olive oil to yore grits for the extra calories

also good is to add a pack of tuna fish to em

mmm grits and fish

Glad somone mentioned olive oil with grits. Looooooong energy there.

mmm grits and shrimp

Cerridwen
02-12-2007, 22:31
Speaking of food - can you dehydrate veggies without having to buy some fancy food dehydrater? I don't eat meat and I love my veggies. Do many people who resupply in town ever just try packing out a head of broccoli or a bunch of greens - seems like they'd keep a few days, a least before summer hit full on.

Doctari
02-13-2007, 08:25
Speaking of food - can you dehydrate veggies without having to buy some fancy food dehydrater? I don't eat meat and I love my veggies. Do many people who resupply in town ever just try packing out a head of broccoli or a bunch of greens - seems like they'd keep a few days, a least before summer hit full on.

Yes you can. chop (whatever) very fine, place on a cookie sheet in your oven, set the heat to LOW, the lowest setting your oven will go to, prop open the door about 2 to 3 inches. Watch carefully!

Green stuff should be greeen, perhaps a few shades darker but not brown.
Yellow stuff should be yellow, " " ".
etc.

DO NOT OVER DRY TOMATOES, THEY WILL TASTE BURNED!!!

If drying canned things like spinach or greens, seperate it very well, or you will have a clump that takes about 35 minutes longer than forever to rehydrate. (or run thru a blender after drying, with the goal of spinach powder.

I have never taken fresh veggies, seems to me they would do ok for a few days, as long as you did your best to keep them cool.

hobbit
02-13-2007, 12:41
never break eggs into a container and carry them like that! they would go bad in less than a day not too mention accrue some horrible bacteria along the way!

but as far as awesome breakfasts go

i like oatmeal but get sick of it
so i bring bagels and peanut butter/jelly/honey which is unbelievabley good

I've also brought my moms homemade biscuts and precooked bacon which was delicious and stuck to my ribs

Old Grouse
02-13-2007, 13:22
More fun facts about eggs. If you can get them right from the hen, so to speak, they'll keep a couple of weeks without refrigeration. But don't wash the eggs. The surface of the shell is covered with thousands of microscopic holes which makes it quite porous. A natural coating referred to as the "bloom" helps seal the holes, preventing bacteria from entering. As the egg ages, the bloom is worn away, which allows moisture to slowly escape and air to enter, forming the "air cell". Bacteria may also enter, and contamination may result. When eggs are packaged for sale to consumers, they are washed to make them look good and remove germs that may be on the surface. This removes the bloom, so a thin coating of oil is sometimes applied to take the place of the bloom.

As for having the hen follow you, I've trained mine to stay in the yard, but they'd slow you down something awful. Plus the truth is, "she's just not that into you."