PDA

View Full Version : sylnylon alternate

jazilla
01-25-2007, 15:29
Has anyone ever tried spaying campdry to one side of an item to water proof it. Like spraying outside of day pack or outside of stuff sack?

chicote
01-25-2007, 16:45
Is campdry a basic waterproofing spray? I don't think that would last well like silicon impregnated nylon.

dloome
01-25-2007, 16:52
That's going to be just a quick and cheap way to add a little water resistance. Seams and zippers would still leak like a sieve and those spray on coatings are not meant for serious water repellency, usually just to temporarily restore a factory DWR finish. If you want to waterproof a pack, line it with a sturdy trash bag. Turkey roasting bags work well for lining stuff sacks, or you could just get a seam sealed stuff sack.

jazilla
01-25-2007, 17:21
thanks, thats what I was wondering

Kerosene
01-26-2007, 09:47
I concur with -BLEACH-, a spray covering will only add water repellency, and that will eventually wear off over time and/or with scuffing. Also, the fabric is still likely to "wet through" given sufficient exposure to water. Sil-nylon is waterproof, at least until you apply a lot of water pressure (there are reports that water will puddle through when lying on a silnyl tent floor, and that given a hard enough rain some water spray may occur through a silnyl tent canopy).