PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight portable SD to USB converter.

Earl Grey
01-25-2007, 19:30
Instead of mailing SD cards back and forth with the possibility of the mail getting lost wouldnt it be easier to just download the pics from the camera, email them to yourself and then erase those pics from the card? If you use gmail for instance you know the pictures will always be there and you have lots of space and hell even if you run out you could just make a new account.

I figure most places with internet access will at least have a computer with a usb port however an SD port might not be quite as common. For this reason I started looking at some converters and found a couple on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820402101

Never heard of Ezonics however this one did have the most reviews and a high rating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223069

Heard of Rosewill.

These are just a couple I did from a quick skim. Obviously something that is rugged might be hard to find since they dont make this stuff to be carried out in the field. Any thoughts?

saimyoji
01-25-2007, 19:46
Get the cheaper one. Both will hold up functionality wise as there are no moving parts; provided you don't create any new moving parts (by cracking the case).

I have one that came with my camera. They are bombproof. Get the simpler design, cheapest one.

Johnny Swank
01-25-2007, 20:18
Just keep in mind that it takes a loooong time to send a bunch of photos over the internet. We did the USB thing on the Mississippi trip for newspaper articles, but burned the pictures to cds and mailed those home. Just to be safe, we burned 2 copies and sent them to 2 different addresses.

You can also upload to Flicker or some other online photo hosting accounts. One of them (I can't remember) allows you to do a bulk add instead of just 1 at a time for something like $5 a month.

Nightwalker
01-31-2007, 15:26
We did the USB thing on the Mississippi trip for newspaper articles, but burned the pictures to cds and mailed those home. Just to be safe, we burned 2 copies and sent them to 2 different addresses.

Burn two, keep one until the other one makes it safely home. Thought about that earlier. the assorted Marts charge about 3.00-3.50 for a picture CD. Cheap insurance.

nhalbrook
01-31-2007, 21:36
use google picasa

Blade
01-31-2007, 22:38
... will at least have a computer with a usb port however an SD port might not be quite as common. For this reason I started looking at some converters ...

Check out the SanDisk Ultra II Secure Digital Plus USB Memory Card. The card itself folds; it works in SD slots for cameras & USB slots for computers with no converter needed.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7249694&st=sd+card+usb&type=product&id=1115366130394

I've been using the 1 GB version for over a year now without any problem (no, I'm not affiliated). At first I thought it would be fragile, but it has held up quite well with normal use.