PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap in NC

tiamalle
01-25-2007, 20:53
Friends Deep Gap is usually open all year.I got a shuttle call this morning
to pick-up a couple of hikers and the lower gate was closed 1/2 mile in from US 64 on FS 71.I had just shuttled hikers into Deep Gap 1 week ago.I was lucky and there was cell phone reception at Deep Gap and I got them to hike down Kimsey Creek blue blaze trail to Standing Indian Camp Ground.

There is a pay phone there and cell phones don't get a signal in the park.There is also a gate locking the campground but you can walk east about 500 ft on the paved rd to gain access to FS 67.To the left 1 & 1/2 miles to old 64 at Wallace Gap.

I saw a Rangers Steve Waldroop and Brian Southards at the campgrounds and ask what had happened that close FS 71 to Deep Gap?They replied that the road would be closed until March 1st and they had got orders to close it but didn't give a reason why.

If something changes I will post it.

Pilgrim2K
01-25-2007, 21:11
Tiamalle, the gate closes every year generally around the 1st of January and doesn't open until the 15th of March.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2007, 21:25
You are lucky you got reception from Deep Gap. The only place I got reception around Standing Indian was on Albert.

Tabasco
01-25-2007, 23:29
I blew my knee coming down into Deep Gap last April. Sat at the parking lot for an hour, pissed off that my section hike was cut short. Turned on the cell and 60 minutes later, there was Ron Haven picking me up. Many thanks!

tiamalle
01-26-2007, 00:15
I blew my knee coming down into Deep Gap last April. Sat at the parking lot for an hour, pissed off that my section hike was cut short. Turned on the cell and 60 minutes later, there was Ron Haven picking me up. Many thanks!If there is someone hurt I will get someone to open the gate.I know that in 2004 it was closed because of the hurricane damage.But several years they didn't close it.That is a great place to set up surprise trail magic

Rain Man
01-26-2007, 00:37
... I got them to hike down Kimsey Creek blue blaze trail to Standing Indian Camp Ground......

Has the KCT gotten any needed maintenance lately? Last time I was there, a friend and I hiked down it from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground. KCT was overgrown, undermarked, and not in good shape. We got lost once darkness set in. I hope it has gotten some attention.

Rain:sunMan

tiamalle
01-26-2007, 01:12
Has the KCT gotten any needed maintenance lately? Last time I was there, a friend and I hiked down it from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground. KCT was overgrown, undermarked, and not in good shape. We got lost once darkness set in. I hope it has gotten some attention.

Rain:sunMan

.No Rain Man it is about the same but this time in the year it has died back a little bit.Let's all send an e-mail complaint and maybe they will work on it.I'm a member of the club and I'll help them.Here's their site
http://www.maconcommunity.org/nhc/index.htm