hopefulhiker
01-25-2007, 22:52
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/25/D8MSLU180.html

Skidsteer
01-25-2007, 23:01
One hell of a woman.

Bloodroot
01-25-2007, 23:06
Seems like moutain lion attacks are most prevalent in California. Just watched MSNBC documentary a couple weeks ago and gave story of a woman getting snatched off here mountain bike in Cal. by a mountain lion.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2007, 23:09
Now watch. By tomorrow morning Hopeful will provide links that conclusively connect Karl Rove to the lion.

Who knew?? :D

bfitz
01-25-2007, 23:12
To the lion's feces.

BTW isn't there supposed to be a mountain lion up on Unaka mountain on the AT?

weary
01-25-2007, 23:25
Now watch. By tomorrow morning Hopeful will provide links that conclusively connect Karl Rove to the lion.
Says JaCK, who claims to deplore the introduction of politics in unrelated threads.

rafe
01-25-2007, 23:28
You know, I am sort of enjoying this mental image of chubby Karl Rove as lion-bait. ;) Though I'd be concerned for the lion's health, afterwards.

bfitz
01-25-2007, 23:28
That was humor, not politics.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2007, 23:30
Hey Weary, didja see the little green smiley face?

It looks like this: :D

It indicates that someone is joking.

What Jack really deplores and finds sad is finding someone of your years who is evidently completely without anything resembling a sense of humor.

rafe
01-25-2007, 23:37
What Jack really deplores and finds sad is finding someone of your years who is evidently completely without anything resembling a sense of humor.

Weary doesn't do humor, Jack. Nor do you, but lamely, and invariably at the expense of liberals or Warren Doyle. :D

bfitz
01-25-2007, 23:39
Actually you're all a riot. That's intentional, right?

rainmaker
01-25-2007, 23:50
You know, I am sort of enjoying this mental image of chubby Karl Rove as lion-bait. ;) Though I'd be concerned for the lion's health, afterwards.

I couldn't agree more. The transfats alone would probably be lethal. Now with that out of the way, kudos to the lady and her husband. They are both gutsy folk and may they enjoy many more years togather in the woods. The only place to be.

Sly
01-25-2007, 23:51
I've seen one mountain lion while hiking. Thankfully it was about 70 yards away and there were three of us. I have to wonder if the lion saw both of them at the time of the attack.

Yet another reason to carry hiking poles.

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2007, 00:00
Hiking poles?

Maybe it's a good reason to carry a gun, provided one is doing so legally.

In some parts of the country, it might not be such a bad idea.

Sly
01-26-2007, 00:06
Yeah, hiking poles. I don't think one would have broken off in the animals eye like the pen.

weary
01-26-2007, 00:16
Weary doesn't do humor, Jack. Nor do you, but lamely, and invariably at the expense of liberals or Warren Doyle. :D
Actually, many, maybe most of my posts, are humorous, if not to you, at least for me. I've had a busy day. I had a hundred mile round trip to let a doctor evaluate my second cataract removal. (all good). I spent another three hours at a Shellfish Conservation Committee meeting. The committee is dedicated to keeping open a thousand acres of flats that supply good incomes to 40 families. And then I came home to cook supper (ramen noodles, boullion and left over pork roast) for me and my wife.

Luckily, I took a few moments out to chide Jack. The resulting exchange has brought several delicious moments of cheer -- yes, even smiles.

Weary

Desert Lobster
01-26-2007, 01:43
She is 65. 50th anniversary next month?????

Tha Wookie
01-26-2007, 01:50

See the thing is Jack - There never was a mountain lion attack. It's just the liberal media tryng to make people think that if they don't quit f____g with nature, then it's going to get them.

:D

bfitz
01-26-2007, 02:03
Hiker's meet nature's revenge in "Day of the Animals"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075913/

A really good bad movie. I wonder if jack ever reviewed it?

fonsie
01-26-2007, 05:11
And everyone wonders why I carry a big ass army ranger knife. Just so I can fight back whatever attacks me. I might loose or I might win but im going to take out an eye.

highway
01-26-2007, 06:01
Mountain lions on the west coast have lost their fear of man it seems.

Since they are no longer hunted by man they have lost their fear of man and consider the species as table fare to be harvested.

But, it probably want affect the opinion of anti-hunters much, -unless that anti-hunter found himself the one being harvested.

mrc237
01-26-2007, 06:17
I wish I had a hiking partner like that lady. If she had one of those ''big ass'' Ranger knives they'd have a nice trophy now. I had an encounter with a ML while on the PCT in '04. Just getting ready to settle down at Kleghorn Picnic area about 15 miles east of I-15 and Cajon Pass. The cat just started walking through my site, glanced over at me and just walked on. At first I didn't know what is was but as soon as recognition was established the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, quick but scary. There were two hikers nearby and one was a SF PO but they had no encounter (or they didn't see it). Next day I was sipping a few cold ones while sitting in a hot tub at the local motel at Cahon Pass. Life is funny.

bulldog49
01-26-2007, 09:40
Actually, many, maybe most of my posts, are humorous, if not to you, at least for me. I've had a busy day. I had a hundred mile round trip to let a doctor evaluate my second cataract removal. (all good). I spent another three hours at a Shellfish Conservation Committee meeting. The committee is dedicated to keeping open a thousand acres of flats that supply good incomes to 40 families. And then I came home to cook supper (ramen noodles, boullion and left over pork roast) for me and my wife.

Luckily, I took a few moments out to chide Jack. The resulting exchange has brought several delicious moments of cheer -- yes, even smiles.

Weary

My, my. Aren't you full of yourself. Can we expect more of these updates on your daily routine? I especially will be interested in hearing what you and your wife have for dinner each evening.

Actually, that pretentious response just proved Jack's point about your lack humor.

TOW
01-26-2007, 10:20
What a woman and what LOVE!

rafe
01-26-2007, 10:25
Someone said something like this a while back. Can't remember who, or the exact words... "It will be a great day when the majority of deaths in the USA are from attacks by mountain lions."

Ender
01-26-2007, 10:30
My, my. Aren't you full of yourself.

Personally, I'm glad to hear that everything sounds OK for his cataract surgery. I didn't think he was out of line at all... if you don't like reading what he had for dinner, don't read it. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Tipi Walter
01-26-2007, 10:38
Someone said something like this a while back. Can't remember who, or the exact words... "It will be a great day when the majority of deaths in the USA are from attacks by mountain lions."

Ah, there you go! My eyes mist up at the fond memories of hunting woolly mammoths 10,000 years ago during the last ice age. What's happened since that time? Alot and none of it good.

Perhaps the lion attacks are due to loss of habitat? Too many humans taking over too much land? The early California Indians could burn our ears off with stories of similar encroachment, displacement and bounties for each Indian head obtained, etc.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2007, 10:40
time to open up a season on the cats. i hear lion steak is damn good.

Gray Blazer
01-26-2007, 10:41
And everyone wonders why I carry a big ass army ranger knife. Just so I can fight back whatever attacks me. I might loose or I might win but I'm going to take out an eye.Yeah, a lot of insurgents and sectarian violence in Baltimore. I don't blame ya.:D

Lone Wolf
01-26-2007, 10:44

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians-except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
Ted Nugent

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 11:24
Hmm, we've got encroachment controversy, Karl Rove, knives, guns, and vegetarians. All we need to do now is drop all of them in he middle of Maine in the dead of winter(alone, of course) and we've got: (drumroll) Das Uberthread

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 11:29
D'oh! I forgot the nost important part - MS! :datz

The Weasel
01-26-2007, 11:38
Seems like moutain lion attacks are most prevalent in California. Just watched MSNBC documentary a couple weeks ago and gave story of a woman getting snatched off here mountain bike in Cal. by a mountain lion.
Where I live now is essentially a suburban area, with some large semi-wild parks. In one of them a year ago a woman hiker/runner was attacked, killed and partially eaten by a cougar. A man was attacked by the same animal before it could be killed.

Stinks not being at the top of the food chain.

The Weasel

Desert Lobster
01-26-2007, 11:46
Those felines are the best piece of **** most of us will ever see!

Spooner
01-26-2007, 11:47
nothing like the "spirit of the wild" and some fresh back straps!

Groucho
01-26-2007, 12:59

Tastes like veal.

Ender
01-26-2007, 13:12
Tastes like veal.

Tastes like baby seals. Mmmmm...

The Weasel
01-26-2007, 13:13
My, my. Aren't you full of yourself. Can we expect more of these updates on your daily routine? I especially will be interested in hearing what you and your wife have for dinner each evening.

Actually, that pretentious response just proved Jack's point about your lack humor.

Stop it with the attack junk, whether about Weary, Jack or otherwise.. That era is over.

The Weasel

Mother's Finest
01-26-2007, 13:42
The Score in this story

Humans-1 minor casualty

Mountain Lions- 2 deaths

As always, the animals lose out.

peace
mf

neo
01-26-2007, 14:47

wow thats aweful,i am glad the guys is going to be ok:cool: neo

Pacific Tortuga
01-26-2007, 15:27
Where I live now is essentially a suburban area, with some large semi-wild parks. In one of them a year ago a woman hiker/runner was attacked, killed and partially eaten by a cougar. A man was attacked by the same animal before it could be killed.

Stinks not being at the top of the food chain.

The Weasel

Hike in THEIR area evey day, dont care. Try to be aware of your surroundings, like living with nature terrorists but they were here first. If the developers would make through ways

from one open area to another and let the cats follow the deer that may help. I have to believe if your numbers up ..................... fight like he!! too.

DuctTape
01-26-2007, 17:27
This article gave me chills. I cycled through here one evening in October. It's a beautiful Redwoods park where I experienced solitude - even on the road. I distinctly remember it was well after dusk and for a few moments I had this uneasy feeling that had me checking over my shoulder.

LeeF
01-26-2007, 22:20
One of my best moments ever was meeting a big cat in the California Redwoods late one afternoon. I was going up the trail he was crossing it. He gave me an absolute look of indifference. There was no fear or concern whatsoever in his eyes.

SawnieRobertson
01-26-2007, 23:13
It is my understanding that we are in trouble only if the lion happens to be hungry at that time. They are persistent and silent. The couple was fortunate to be picked up soon after reaching the road. You can be sure that the lion was following and watching them carefully. They tend to drop back and then reappear. I do not like them.--Kinnickinic

oldfivetango
01-27-2007, 07:41
The last time I checked my calendar it said 2007.
Anyone who so much as leaves the house without
some sort of defensive plan or weapon is totally
unprepared for reality-particularly if they are in
big cat,bear,or dog country.Note:you can outclimb a
wild boar rather easily.People are a whole nuther matter.
Watch the people closely,people.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

rafe
01-27-2007, 08:28

Do tell... What do you carry, O5T? You make it sound as if you're armed (with something) at all times.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:30
Do tell... What do you carry, O5T? You make it sound as if you're armed (with something) at all times.

So what? it's his 2nd ammendment right.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:39
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

more murders, rapes and assaults have occured on the AT than bear attacks and such. a .45 would be good to have. bang bang mofo.:)

atraildreamer
01-27-2007, 08:40
I've had a busy day. I had a hundred mile round trip to let a doctor evaluate my second cataract removal. (all good). I spent another three hours at a Shellfish Conservation Committee meeting. The committee is dedicated to keeping open a thousand acres of flats that supply good incomes to 40 families. And then I came home to cook supper (ramen noodles, boullion and left over pork roast) for me and my wife.

Hence... the name: "Weary" :-?