PDA

View Full Version : Final Pack Weight

partinj
01-25-2007, 23:05
Well this is it my final pack weight:jump22lbs. 5oz. With out food or water i figture food will be at between 8 & 10 lbs water 2 quarts yet 2 quarts but the extra water will let set up camp where if i find a nice spot that don't have water. Total with everthing 36lbs 5oz. Pack was at 43lbs just a week ago got rid of a lot of little stuff.

ONLY 7DAYS LEFT :clap:jump:dance

rafe
01-25-2007, 23:13
22 lbs. isn't too bad. I've seen plenty worse. Now quit worrying about it and relax. :)

momalley
01-25-2007, 23:13
Thats better than me. I come in at 25 lbs, but I still have about a month until I start.

Have a good hike.l

Boat Drinks
01-25-2007, 23:15
Well this is it my final pack weight:jump22lbs. 5oz. With out food or water i figture food will be at between 8 & 10 lbs water 2 quarts yet 2 quarts but the extra water will let set up camp where if i find a nice spot that don't have water. Total with everthing 36lbs 5oz. Pack was at 43lbs just a week ago got rid of a lot of little stuff.

Can we see your inventory por favor?

Knees
01-25-2007, 23:47
You may find things to cut when you're on the trail (and when it warms up). As long as you have the requisite warm gear for such an early start, you're fine.

With your hike only a week away, I'll echo the don't worry about it.

Enjoy!

SalParadise
01-25-2007, 23:55
yeah, go real slow and you'll be fine, plus eventually find things to cut out. though i personally think it's heavy, weight is such a personal thing, and some of the fastest hikers i knew had 35+ pounds with them.

all the best on your hike.

cutman11
01-29-2007, 02:03
You will eventually tend to keep the weight a few pounds lighter. I would say, 7 lb of food, and maybe less water(1.5l = 3lb) the first day out of town to keep the weight down until you get some of the food eaten, doing that, you could be at 32lb total, which would be an overall average of 28lb. (22 to 32). Camel up with water, eat more in town, carry less weight and enjoy the hike more!

hopefulhiker
01-29-2007, 08:43
I found that for me to comfortably set up camp and have enough water for breakfast too I needed three quarts..

highway
01-29-2007, 09:22

Walking slow from Amicalola falls its only 4 days to Neel's gap to resupply. Four days hike means three days food to carry. 3x 1.25 = ~4 pounds food. You can cut your food weight in half or less.
As for water you might carry 1 3/4 liters until you get comfortable just carrying 1 and cut your water weight to ~3 pounds.

It seems everyone begins with FAR TOO MUCH food and water. Try not to make the same mistake. You back and feet will thank you for it

GlazeDog
01-29-2007, 15:03
Good Luck. It will interesting to hear if you send anything back at Neels Gap. Most toss a few things back there. I'm excited for you!!!

Happy trtails---
GlazeDog

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 15:09
6 1/2 days now! have fun.

StarLyte
01-29-2007, 15:21

See you in Maine.

Don't be excited.....be ECSTATIC.

the_iceman
01-29-2007, 17:58
partinj -

Way to go. Pack weight seems good for a cold weather start. Stop second guessing now and relax.

There is lots of water in the begining so you do not need to carry tons but better safe than sorry. Good luck and post back if you decide to dump anything at Neel's and what it was.