PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good place to buy boots in nh?

wmoir
07-13-2003, 12:24
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a pair of really decent hiking boots for the first time, and as these will probably be a bit of a investment I was wondering if anyone could recommend a store where knowledgeable salespeople will help me find a boot that really fits. I'm near Concord, NH and the closer the store the better, but I can drive pretty far if need be.

Thanks,

-Will

DebW
07-13-2003, 14:21
You could try IME in North Conway. Can't say as I've bought boots there, but they have a good reputation. The owner is a world-class mountaineer. There's an EMS across the street from them, but don't count on knowledgable sales people there.

TJ aka Teej
07-13-2003, 21:10
Hi Will, and welcome to White Blaze. Just over the NH border in Lawrence MA is the New Balance Factory store. Boots, trail runners, most all the NB line at about 60% of retail. I wear a EEEE, and NB makes all widths. Deb's comment about the EMS sales people covers the NB folks too.

Sleepy the Arab
07-13-2003, 22:05
If you are willing to travel a bit, there is an REI in North Reading off of 128 (where I bought my boots for 1999); and there is also Peter Limmer and Sons, in Intervale (where I bought my boots for 2001). I highly recommend trying out Limmer boots as you are so close to the source. And ignore anything anyone will tell you about waiting for custom made boots - you can get the premade variety there too.

Peaks
07-14-2003, 08:25
About the only place that comes to mind in Concord is EMS. However, being a strip mall store, I would not expect too much.

Other places you might consider is Sam's in Keene, EMS in North Conway. They are more than a mall store there, EMS in Peterboro, EMS in West Lebanon (strip mall store), the outfitter in Gorham, REI in Reading Ma. Kittery Trading Post over the line, Ragged Mountain Sports in Intervale.

Other than the outfitter in Gorham, I don't know who some of the local outfitters are. Why not let your fingers do the walking, and look at manufactures websites and search for their local dealers.

DebW
07-14-2003, 08:28
Originally posted by Sleepy the Arab
and there is also Peter Limmer and Sons, in Intervale (where I bought my boots for 2001). I highly recommend trying out Limmer boots as you are so close to the source. And ignore anything anyone will tell you about waiting for custom made boots - you can get the premade variety there too.

The premade Limmers only come in medium width. Thus I am waiting 4 years for my custom-made pair. I did get my daughter a pair of premade Limmer Lightweights there and they've been great. But when you go to Limmers (Rt. 16, Intervale) to try on boots, don't go after a hike. They will tell you to come back later when your feet aren't swollen.

meBrad
07-14-2003, 10:25
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted

Jaybird
07-14-2003, 10:56
Will:

Do a LOAD of homework & a lot of tryin'on before buying...IF you intend on getting some very good boots.

I've seen New Balance mentioned...they are a good trail shoe...but when you hit rocks (& most likely boulders) you'll want some good sturdy boots with ankle protection/support.

I've seen Merrill mentioned...its a good boot...but, from a Merrill fan I got the suggestion to buy VASQUE boots.

check em out...they are a bit pricey on the upper end...but are very reasonable for a boot with a long life expectancy.

they come in models that are half & half (Clarion) soft mesh/leather all the way to hard leather/uppers.

i paid about 200bucks for my Vasque MX-2 Sundowners & have never been disappointed or sorry for the purchase.

they have about 500 miles on them (approx 200 on the A.T.) & they look "like new"

happy hikin'!

Jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/JaybirdandJigsaw

Jumpstart
07-14-2003, 14:13
All Outdoors in Manchester, NH is my gear shop of choice. They cater to high-end, good quality stuff and their staff is very experienced. Ask for Mike Cullerot, he is the manager and fitting expert. EMS in Concord is okay too..ask for Stan or Lenny :)

Take care!

Peaks
07-14-2003, 17:14
I tired them once. They lasted almost to the edge of town. They went right back to the store for a different brand.

meBrad
07-14-2003, 17:35
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted

Peaks
07-15-2003, 16:39
The fabric tore right over the top of the toe on my way out of town on the first rock I stepped on or around.

wmoir
07-15-2003, 21:56
Thanks for all the replies guys. I went to All Outdoors earlier today, but they didn't have much in stock to fit my size 13 feet. On the bright side, tomorrow I'm gonna make a pilgrimage up to Limmer and hopefully end up spending over $100 more than I originally planned! If I'm gonna get an expensive boot I might as well go for the best ;)

meBrad
07-16-2003, 08:05

icemanat95
07-21-2003, 22:30
The performance of an individual pair of boots will vary dramatically from one person to another. People's feet are about as individual and unique as is possible and no one size and model of boot will fit all people of the same size the same way. Try on everything you can that is appropriate for your hiking style and pick the set that fits best and provides the support and traction you need. Merrel, Montrail, Danner, Vasque, New Balance, Nike, Asolo, Solomon, La Sportiva, Hi-Tec etc. all make boots that would be suitable for an AT thru-hike for someone. I personally feel the Hi Tec's are a little light duty, but that's just me and many folks disagree with me (what's new?) Find something that works for you and buy it.

Don't be shy about trying on other boots even if you have no intention of buying, especially at town stops along the way of your thru-hike. You will have the best awareness of your feet while you are hiking and boots that you would have thought would be fine before you became a full time hiker, will demonstrate obvious shortcomings to you as a hiker who knows his or her own feet.

Size 13 feet are a bit of a selection problem.