PDA

View Full Version : That annoying pinching shoulder pain...

OntheRoad
01-26-2007, 00:42
Does anyone else get that really annoying almost pinching shoulder pain on the very top of your shoulder where your pack rests? I have never heard anyone mention anything about it, but it seems like no matter how much weight I carry(40 pounds, 5 pounds) I always feel an irritation on that point where my pack straps rest. It kind of moves up to my neck causing me to always have headaches after a decent hike. Which in turn causes me to swallow down more Ibprofin that I don't want to have to rely on.

Does anyone else get this and is their anyway to prevent/stop it besides applying icyhot everytime I stop?

sweetpeastu
01-26-2007, 01:23
Um I have weird shoulder/neck issues when I carry a pack...sometimes. But lately I've been on trips and wasn't bothered by it. I'm not sure from your description exactly where it is, but if it goes up your neck and causes headaches, it sorta sounds like a pinched nerve. I recommend seeing a Chriopractor about it to make sure nothing is misaligned. (note, if you get a nasty sharp pain in between your shoulder blades, your scapula is out--go to the Chiropractor!) HOpe that helps.

Tumblerisk
01-26-2007, 01:33
Just my $.02...I'm not 100% sure that the pain is due to your pack. Especially if you say that it doesn't matter what king of weight you are hauling. I get the same kind pain that you describe in the same location when I run sometimes (no load of course). Suprisingly, I don't experience it with a pack. For me it seems to be a posture issue. If I straighten up while at the same time trying to relax my arms and shoulders it usually goes a long way towards getting rid of that pain.

khaynie
01-26-2007, 06:45
I'd say it's a pack issue. When I was real young, I had a terrible pack in that it was too big for my torso. As a result, ALL the weight rested on my shoulders. And the pain you are experiencing, was very similar to what I had.

I soon switched to a Gregory. That fixed the problem, however, it was too heavy and big of pack for my tastes.

Currently, I backpack with an Osprey Aether 60. I've gone for hours and hours without taking it off; never once with a shoulder ache.

My 2 cents is this: Get fitted for a pack, walk around with it in the store with some weight, (hopefully the weight will be mainly distributed on your hips) and see if that fixes your problem. If not, go see the back-cracker.

Hope that helps.

highway
01-26-2007, 08:17
If your pack rests upon your shoulders at all something is amiss. The straps are more to keep the pack in an upright position and snugly upon your back, rather than to support much (if any) of the load. The load of the pack should be ABOVE your pelvic crest, high upon your waist and your shoulder straps should be loosely hung slightly above the tops of your shoulders, adjusted with the lifters. Try it and you will walk in a more upright position and less unnaturally hunched over.

oldfivetango
01-26-2007, 08:44
For the record- I would just about be dead already if
I wasn't wearing orthodics in my shoes.They help becuase it
helps keep the important parts lined up.And they are inexpensive.
Got mine at Footsmart.com
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Tipi Walter
01-26-2007, 10:26
Does anyone else get that really annoying almost pinching shoulder pain on the very top of your shoulder where your pack rests? I have never heard anyone mention anything about it, but it seems like no matter how much weight I carry(40 pounds, 5 pounds) I always feel an irritation on that point where my pack straps rest. It kind of moves up to my neck causing me to always have headaches after a decent hike. Which in turn causes me to swallow down more Ibprofin that I don't want to have to rely on.

Does anyone else get this and is their anyway to prevent/stop it besides applying icyhot everytime I stop?

Welcome to the world of backpacking.

maxNcathy
01-26-2007, 11:23
I'd say it's a pack issue. When I was real young, I had a terrible pack in that it was too big for my torso. As a result, ALL the weight rested on my shoulders. And the pain you are experiencing, was very similar to what I had.

I soon switched to a Gregory. That fixed the problem, however, it was too heavy and big of pack for my tastes.

Currently, I backpack with an Osprey Aether 60. I've gone for hours and hours without taking it off; never once with a shoulder ache.

My 2 cents is this: Get fitted for a pack, walk around with it in the store with some weight, (hopefully the weight will be mainly distributed on your hips) and see if that fixes your problem. If not, go see the back-cracker.

Hope that helps.

Gills and Samoa,
I just spent the last 2 hours reading and enjoying the pictures in your journal.
Thanks for the very interesting trip.

PS I have the same pack in the same colour and will be using it this March starting north from Springer for a 5-week hike.
Keep well and happy, You two.
Sandalwood/Max

Footslogger
01-26-2007, 11:59
A considerable amount of the shoulder pain we see here at the clinic is acually related to the spine (cervical). Not saying that yours is one or the other ...just adding that information to the process.

The muscle(s) in the region between the neck and the actual shoulder can become bruised and generate pain. There are underlying nerves that can become irritated and trigger pain as well. However, if that is the source of your pain then it is likely you are "shouldering" too much of the pack weight. The primary purpose of the shoulder strap is to keep the pack against your back and NOT to support the total pack weight upward. The majority of the pressure from shoulder straps should be felt more toward toward the front of the shoulder and not directly on top.

Two thoughts come to mind in reading over the original post. First ...the pack/shoulder harness may not be the correct size for your torso length and second, if the above is not true then in all likelihood you need to elevate the pack on your hips a bit and tighten the hip belt. This will cause more/most of the pack weight to be transferred to the hips (which themselves can become a tad red/bruised at first) where it belongs.

'Slogger

Singe03
01-26-2007, 14:04
Just a strange one...

I had pretty chronic shoulder pain for about a year that moved up and down my neck and even in to my jaw sometimes giving me headaches...

I had a root canal done on a rear molar due to a missing filling that I let go too long and the shoulder and neck pain has has never returned.

Only reason I mention it is to point out that it can be a really tricky diagnosis, the body sometimes radiates pain out to weird, unexpected spots.

Singe03
01-26-2007, 14:05
Just to add to the above, the tooth itself, never hurt, not even if I ate very hot or cold foods, I had no clue anything was wrong beyond the filling being missing.

OntheRoad
01-26-2007, 18:58
Yeah I seem to have a lot of headaches in my neck right where the neck meets the head. I am pretty sure I have that weird jaw thing(where your jaw makes that clicking noise, tmj or whatever) but have never had it checked out, nor have I been to a dentist in 5 years at least.

Egads
01-27-2007, 08:02
I second the pack fit. Weight should be carried at the hips. Perhaps your shoulder straps are too low or they need tightening to carry the pack closer to your torso at the shoulders.

Take your pack in to your outfitter to check fit.

Egads

khaynie
01-27-2007, 09:44
Gills and Samoa,
I just spent the last 2 hours reading and enjoying the pictures in your journal.
Thanks for the very interesting trip.

PS I have the same pack in the same colour and will be using it this March starting north from Springer for a 5-week hike.
Keep well and happy, You two.
Sandalwood/Max

Glad you enjoyed looking through our journal. It keeps our memories of the trail very much alive.

I hope you enjoy your pack as much as I do mine. It's a great pack ~ strong like bull...it will wind up smelling like one, too:D

Have fun on your hike this spring. You will have plenty of company. I'm also trying to get back out there for a week or so this March...maybe I'll see you. I, too, will be starting from Springer and hiking North. While this goes against my directional orientation, I want to hike with the NOBOs and see what's its like.