PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

Wombat
07-14-2003, 04:01
Hello from Australia. Thinking of doing something in Shenandoah National Park for about a week around Sept/Oct 2004. Where does one buy maps and what one do you suggest I buy? Any suggestions about where I should start and how I get there. No idea about transport or anything else at this stage.

Mini-Mosey
07-14-2003, 05:34
Wow, Australia!! That's a real interesting country; I'll bet there's some awesome hiking over there! To begin to answer your question, log on to appalachiantrail.org. That will definitely get you started at least. You can get the guide to the AT in Shenandoah Natl. Park and a set of maps from the Appalachian Trail Conference. The above website is their website. You can e-mail them for information at [email protected]. Good luck!!

Jaybird
07-14-2003, 05:44
GraceR:

you can all the info. you'll need at:

www.nps.gov/shen/home.htm

thats the Shenandoah Nat'l Park home page. theres a PDF map on that page as well of the whole park.

If you're looking for maps of the Shenandoah area for hiking the A.T....like Mini-Mosey said....

the ATC is the difinitive source:

www.appalachiantrail.org

hope this helps....happy hiking!

Jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/JAYBIRDandJIGSAW
:)

jlb2012
07-14-2003, 07:38
I would suggest the combined maps and trail guide (PB130) from PATC if you are planning on a lot of hiking - PATC is the local ATC associated trail maintainers for Shen. AT and selected blue blaze side trails - website is http://www.patc.net/ - go to the store section for maps - goodly amount of general information available on website about Shen. Another free resource is the Heatwole guide - http://www.ajheatwole.com/guide/ which covers many of the more interesting trails, overlooks, etc.

Peaks
07-14-2003, 08:16
If you are interested in hiking in Shenandoah National Park, then buy the Appalachain Trail Guide to Shenandoah National Park. It has all the side trails in it, as well as maps for the complete park. It is available from the ATC at the website listed above, from the PATC (www.patc.net), as well as from outfitters.

stranger
07-14-2003, 21:22
Hey Gracer...your best bet it to fly into Washington DC or Arlington Virginia then take a bus to Waynesboro. Greyhound Bus service goes through Waynesboro and departs DC every day from what I remember. If you fly into NYC or Newark NJ you can take Greyhound through DC and onto Waynesboro, I think it puts you in Waynesboro quite late...so keep that in mind.

When I did it the bus driver dropped me off right in front of the Comfort Inn in town.

Peaks
07-15-2003, 16:36
The northern end of SNP is closer to DC. If you fly in there, you could take the commuter train to Harper's Ferry. Then, hook up with a shuttle that will take you to Front Royal. Get the shuttle list from the ATC.

EarlyRiser
07-15-2003, 20:30
Have a wonderful time out there, its a great park, ill be down that way next week for two weeks, little early to catch you on the trail im affraid. just make sure you get a backcountry camping permit if you plan on staying out overnight. you can write to

Superintendent, Attn: Backcountry Camping Permit, US Highway 211 East, Luray, VA, 22835

or pick up a permit on you way in to the park. either way have a great time. its a wonderful park.