PDA

View Full Version : any vegan hikers for 2007

tmeinberg
01-26-2007, 16:23
are there any other vegan hikers thru-hiking in 2007 out there?

butter123
02-08-2007, 01:00
im a vegetarian

theoutsider
02-14-2007, 23:56
strict vegetarian, almost vegan, i eat vegan generally though.

mudfoot
03-01-2007, 19:29
yes Im a vegan. So is my girlfriend. we'll be north bound april 4th. open to any tips from previous vegan thru hikers

Deerleg
03-08-2007, 18:28
yes Im a vegan. So is my girlfriend. we'll be north bound april 4th. open to any tips from previous vegan thru hikers

I am not a vegan, but I have run across a few folks attempting a thru that were vegetarians or vegans. The veggie guys I ran into seemed to have it together and were in great shape…I’m not sure how strict they were though about not eating any meat at all. I don’t believe the vegan I met made it. I met him at a road crossing near Erwin and he looked and acted malnourished and disoriented. I offered him food, but he would only take a little flat bread. My advice is to be flexible. 3-4 weeks into your hike you may find you have depleted some of the necessary nutrients (minerals, trace elements) your body needs. It’s likely you will be burning more calories for weeks on end then you ever have in your life and your body is going be looking for ways to make up for what its not getting. It may be necessary from time to time to “supplement” by easing up on the dietary restrictions. If you feel you can’t, then be flexible about what your goals are mileage wise or whether a thru on a vegan diet will be a enjoyable endeavor.
I wish you well!:)

kritter
03-20-2007, 11:24
im a vegan, hopefully i can stick too it during my southbound thru hike this summer without getting sick. im sure its possible

brad2291
05-21-2007, 12:01
I am not a vegetarian, but prefer to eat more veggies than meat. I ordered some soups from these guys and they were really good. I'm SOBO starting July 2007 and will be taking these soups for some of my meals. They also have a "backpacking kit" that contains a bunch of different dehydrated vegetables. They were featured in backpacker magazine as well. It certainly sounds like it, but I do not work for them.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/easy.html

Appalachian Tater
05-21-2007, 12:29
Plenty of vegans hike and finish without being any more malnourished than the omnivores. Just make sure you're getting enough complete protein by matching to repair the damage you cause to your body by hiking all day.

Other than watching sources of protein and monitoring overall intake, don't miss Elmer's in Hot Springs. It's some of the best food on the trail, vegetarian or not.

Remember, there are millions and millions of vegetarians all over the world. Many of them do hard physical labor every day of their lives and are just as healthy as the non-vegetarians in the same areas.

Gaiter
05-21-2007, 18:04
i don't eat any ground meat and i live w/ a vegetarian, so i'm pretty close to being a vegetarian because i hardly eat any meat, check out www.justtomatoes.com they have some great dried veggies and fruit, and if you order from the site instead of buying it in a wholefoods or some expensive place like that, you can get it in bulk for alot cheaper. and many of their products are organic or have an organic version.

Moon Monster
05-22-2007, 22:45
Doug Walsh did the PCT as a raw vegan, harder to arrange I presume than just vegan. He even sprouted seeds as he walked. He then attempted (I never heard how much he completed) the CDT in the same manner. His web site gives some tips on food planning, places to buy in bulk, and putting together mail-drops.
http://www.rawhike.com/

Smile
05-23-2007, 18:11
Doug completed the CDT raw.
I hiked the AT raw last year, tough but doable, lost weight far too fast though! Next hike will do some cooking ....can you spell QUINOA? My new best friend :)