PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington

Gadog430
01-26-2007, 16:40
I was just wondering if anyone noticed Mt. Washington today? 26 below and winds of 55 MPH sustained.

I wonder what the record is up there?
26 below is pretty damned cold.

Dawg

Lone Wolf
01-26-2007, 16:45
-47 on Jan. 29th, 1934

Littlest Hobo
01-26-2007, 16:52
Whew! It's only -14F here with the windchill. I have a 40 min walk home and I was getting kinda worried!

Mt. Washington puts it all in perspective.

The Old Fhart
01-26-2007, 17:08
Gadog430-"I was just wondering if anyone noticed Mt. Washington today? 26 below and winds of 55 MPH sustained."Actually that's a pretty mild day. The extremes I saw when I was working up there in winter were 145mph winds, -34°F.

One sunny day up on the summit I went for a little walk and when I came back it was breezy(about 50mph), in the teens, and the rest of the crew had the grill out making burgers and playing Nerf football. Of course the ball got lost in the jet stream and the drinks were freezing before you could finish them, but a great day!

Gadog430
01-26-2007, 17:12
To a Southerner, they cannot even fathom what that kind of cold means. I get cold in September and thaw in about May. Maybe.

But I tell you what...I can go up against anybody in the hot weather. I am just used to it. You walk out of that door in the summer and that 98 degrees hits you in the face...and all I say is ahhhhhhhhh. Feels good. Doesn't faze me a bit.

Cold...I cannot take the cold. So I guess I am a weenie after-all LW.

Dawg

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 17:13
http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php

"Cool" article on the record 231 mph wind on Apr 12, 1934

KG4FAM
01-26-2007, 17:23
But I tell you what...I can go up against anybody in the hot weather. I am just used to it. You walk out of that door in the summer and that 98 degrees hits you in the face...and all I say is ahhhhhhhhh. Feels good. Doesn't faze me a bit.
Stop reminding me of summer, these days right now with highs only in the 50s are hell.

Gadog430
01-26-2007, 17:31
50's. We got lucky today. It was supposed to only get to the 40's. But we are at 51. Not warm, but better than frozen New England.

Dawg

Ps. Can you tell I am READY TO GO HOME. Come on five o'clock.

Dances with Mice
04-18-2007, 17:40
From the weather observer's blog: 10:24 AM Wed Apr 18th (http://www.mountwashington.org/)

The challenges continue for the exhausted Observatory crew atop Mount Washington. Wind continues to blast the summit facility from the east, currently above 80 mph with higher gusts. Because of this east wind, extreme accumulation of ice and snow is happening in places that are normally sheltered from the summit's typical northwest winds. The "thermo shack", the small structure that holds thermometers just outside the observation deck level tower door, is completely encased in a tremendous amount of ice, and observer Jim Salge reports that it is in danger of collapsing. The east wind has moved our visibility sensor so that it is now facing a different direction, rendering it ineffective. It also loaded up one of the cables that hold the massive steel "A-frame" outside the tower door with ice, so much ice that the cable snapped. The crew has temporarily repaired the cable, so the A-frame can still protect the crew from flying chunks of ice. The precipitation can, located about 100 yards away from the Sherman Adams Building's main entrance, is completely buried in snow and ice.

mudhead
04-18-2007, 17:58
Call it nasty. Life threatening. Not fit for man nor beast. Or: Damn Cold.

jadd
04-18-2007, 18:31
I think that the most amazing stat about Mount Washington is that it has never been above 72 degrees

warraghiyagey
04-18-2007, 21:28
I think that the most amazing stat about Mount Washington is that it has never been above 72 degrees

Then it's true that I must have been up there on one of the best days ever. Last August, 1st week probably, left Madison hut and it had to be in the high 60's with not a cloud and barely a breeze. One of the absolute greatest days on the trail. Our friend Buddha had crossed 2 days earlier in a thunderstorm and 80 mph winds.