PDA

View Full Version : Rausch Gap Shelter

Crash
07-14-2003, 09:57
It's a nice shelter. The spring is directly in front about 15 feet away that pours in to a metal trough. Though the privy is getting quite full. It's in a beautiful spot with no 'outside world' noise. and your cell phones won't work there!

Crash
04-05-2004, 09:02
I went there weekend of 4/3. The privy is pretty much filled up- and they need a broom to sweep the inside of the shelter. but its still nice to go to.

A-Train
05-23-2005, 23:40
I went there weekend of 4/3. The privy is pretty much filled up- and they need a broom to sweep the inside of the shelter. but its still nice to go to.

No need to worry about the privy being filled any longer. The privy was burned down recently by some destructive person. Don't know what plans are to rebuild or replace

fiddlehead
05-23-2005, 23:45
IN the late 70's, the Rausch Gap shelter was known as "The Hilton" and was one of (if not the) nicest shelter on the AT. Since then it has been trashed many times as well as general wear and tear. There used to be a way for vehicles to get close and then it became a party spot and got trashed with beer bottles and graffiti. It is in a beautiful location and i hope someday it will be rebuilt to it's former beauty but of course that costs money. It's nice not to have to go far for your water although i have seen the spring not running the last few times i went there. (it's been 3 years now i guess)

neo
05-24-2005, 12:36
i stayed there late october 2003 when i did a section hike between boiling springs pa and delaware water gap.nice location,water source was excellent
i was were passing thru there again i would prefer to hammock near raush creek
a very pretty area.:cool: neo

Cookerhiker
05-24-2005, 12:44
I camped at Rausch Gap Shelter twice in the last 2 years on section hikes. Good memories both times. May of 03, the shelter was crowded (not surprising) with a mix of locals, section hikers, and thruhikers. I tented behind the shelter. We all got along well - in fact the locals shared their beer, steak, and lobster tails (!) and were very considerate i.e. didn't trash the place at all. Some of the late-arriving thru-hikers couldn't believe the lobster until we showed them the shells.

In contrast, I also camped there in November 04 with no one there but my hikng partner. At that time of year, we certainly appreciated the close-at-hand water source and the shelter's position which kept the cold winds at bay (in contrast to the Peters Mountain shelter which was a wind tunnel).

mbroadhe
06-02-2005, 12:46
Walked by the shelter on Memorial Day weekend and a family had taken it over, so we camped near by. Nice area, though.

BlackCloud
10-19-2005, 08:00
As of 10/14/2005 the shelter was in decent shape, while the new privy was quite nice. The .25 mile hike in from the AT is as flat as the beach - its clearly an old RR grade for the nearby mine.

Other then that, I felt there was a little more trash around then normal.......:rolleyes:

the goat
10-19-2005, 10:06
let's not forget that the water trough can be used as a refridgerator to keep packed-in beverages nice and cool.

Jack Tarlin
10-19-2005, 18:57
While I like this section of PA, folks should be aware that it's one of the snakier sections of the whole Trail. I've NEVER failed to see fat rattlers just south of this shelter, and on a few occasions, they were very close indeed, so keep your eyes open when you're in these parts. Also, be particularly aware if you're travelling with a dog. And lastly, this is a pretty lousy place to have your headphone on with the music turned up......more and more hikers seem to be listening to music these days, and people need to be aware that there are places that this is a really lousy idea.

Palmer
10-20-2005, 07:15
I've spent the night at Rausch Gap on three occasions, and once at Yellow Springs, just south of the shelter. I've never seen any snakes of any kind. Of course, I'm not the most observant hiker in the world. I do wish the snakes would do something about the mice in the shelter.

The new privy is super!

ARambler
10-20-2005, 21:59
I'll be at Rausch Shelter a week from today. Hope to be asleep by this time of night.;)

EarlyBird2007
03-30-2006, 13:05
Socks the wonder dog and I hiked by this in late Feb., 06. One of the nicest shelters in PA. The spring right in front and the fireplace area are particularly nice touches.

fredmugs
04-14-2006, 12:30
This is a potential overnight spot for me in June and I was wondering how it is for setting up a hammock.

Crash
04-14-2006, 16:29
I Hhammocked just to the left of the shelter.
But if you like the sounds of the creek then you'll find even more spots along the creek. Get there during daylight and you'll find a great many places there and past the shelter. In case there are partiers there you can go past the privy or stay by the creek.

I never saw snakes in Rausch Gap though.
Are you taking the AT no. or so. into the Gap or taking the Goldmine Trail in? Goldmine trail is the old rail bed and is super flat.
I love that area.

bulldog49
04-14-2006, 18:12
This is a potential overnight spot for me in June and I was wondering how it is for setting up a hammock.

Why do you ask?
I thought, among the ifinite benefits of hammocking, they can be used anywhere with no problem. :confused:

2Questions
04-14-2006, 18:34
I helped a school science teacher who took a bunch of kids to stay the weekend at Rausch Gap while they performed a wildlife study in the area. We caught over 21 mice within 30 feet of the shelter, a raccoon, several snakes, and saw more we didn't catch. Previous to our weekend, it looked like someone had a party there and left quite a mess. I suspect the mice catch was higher than normal because of that...probably the snake count as well.
Also, solitude you say?? I winter camped there after hiking the old railway grade from Goldmine Rd. I was rattled awake by no less than six snowmobiles as they raced up and down the old railgrade. What a night. Not much sleep that night.

fredmugs
05-02-2006, 11:08
I will be heading SOBO starting at 501 so that will by first night out. Obviously hammocking requires two fairly sturdy trees spaced far enough apart. I've met people on the trail who have had their trees fall over on them and really don't need that experience. I may very well bypass the shelter if I get an early enough start in hopes of making it to Duncannon for night #2. Cheeseburgers and Yuengling will be waiting!!!

MistressJenkins
06-20-2006, 15:48

All the trees are pretty far away from the shelter... but there are plenty around. Behind the shelter there is a camp spot with lots of trees (past the privy).

MistressJenkins
06-20-2006, 15:50
I had mice scurry through my hair and chipmunks beg for food like dogs!

swift
06-20-2006, 18:49
lot of memories of this place. Of the few 30 miles days i've done on the AT, two of them were out of Duncannon after a hard night's drinking at the Doyle and plugging to or past Rausch. GOSH, what great times!!!

shelterbuilder
04-01-2007, 19:07
I've been reading some of the old posts about this shelter, so I thought I'd share some info on the area. The shelter is located on a 28,000 acre tract of Pa. State Game Land which adjoins the Fort Indiantown Gap Military Reservation (used for Pa. Air National Guard training/deployment). Pa. Game Commission rules apply here. Over the last 34 years, the shelter has become a popular destination for hikers, horsemen, mountain bikers, and hunters (all activities sanctioned by the PGC). Unfortunately, it has also become a destination for the "party-hearty" crowd, so the PGC devloped special regulations for this area. Thru-hikers are allowed to use the shelter overnight (PGC: a thru-hiker enters and leaves the Trail at two points separated by at least 25 miles!), but all others can be fined for illegal camping. Most of this site is outside of the PGC's 250' camping zone for AT users ("within 250' of footpath, but 500' away from springs, streams, trailheads and parking lots"). If you're camped "illegally" and have a campfire, you get 2 fines! (I think that the fines are currently $300/person/offense!) This may sound harsh, but there are not nearly as many problems here now as there were 20 years ago.

emerald
04-01-2007, 19:42
Just in case someone wonders, I assure you the person who posted above knows of what he speaks.;)

shelterbuilder
04-01-2007, 19:46
Just in case someone wonders, I assure you the person who posted above knows of what he speaks.;)

Thank you - are you sure that we know the same people??:D

Lyle
04-01-2007, 23:17
Stayed at Rausch Gap shelter last June at the height of the flooding. The trail just south of the Shelter (the steep, erroded, ditch-like section) was knee and at times waist deep with swiftly running water - very much like the flume ride at an amusement park. The steps leading down to the shelter were literally a waterfall, the area surrounding the table was a lake, and the spring was shooting out of the pipe with the force of a fire hose, completely missing the long aluminum trough - had to really hang on to your platypus or pan while filling. All this, but it was still a VERY welcome home that night!

emerald
04-02-2007, 17:15
I thought it might be desirable to link the applicable code (http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html) for those who plan to camp along the A.T. in Saint Anthony's Wilderness, but do not intend to stay at Rausch Gap Shelter. I've searched for this information more than once before and it will be easier for me and others to locate it here than to search for it.

emerald
04-02-2007, 20:00
Those desiring to learn what specific acts are prohibited or permitted on State Game Lands can go here (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2006/game_land_regulations.pdf) to view a 1-page document compiled by PGC.

Lellers
11-18-2007, 19:33
Spent the night at Rausch Gap Shelter 11/17. Snug and neat. Spring was running and trough was full. Packed out some trash left behind by previous folks. Woke up to snow this morning and had snow all the way down to Rt 443/72 parking lot. Made everything slippery and had my head down, so missed the sharp turn where the AT was rerouted a few years ago. Easy to miss! Found ourselves following the old blazes, but didn't figure it out until halfway down the mountain. Duh! Just the night before I was laughing over a story someone had written in the register about this very same situation. Oh, well. It all worked out in the end.

Gaiter
11-19-2007, 01:45
received a wolf spider bite at rausch gap privy, didn't see the spider, but pretty sure based on the bite that it was a wolf spider, at least it wasn't anything worse
also received trail magic from weekend hikers in the shelter, and from illegally camped hikers near-by.

ki0eh
11-19-2007, 09:34
I stayed there once on a loop hike (not then knowing that was a "prohibited act" in the Pa.Code :) ) in January. The area between the shelter and the spring was glare ice. Note that it's sloping out to the steep rocky side of the gap. Did a whoops! zip!!! pow! tumble! bang! and then was fortunate only to have quite a swollen knee. The 14 miles out the next day is how I learned to carry vitamin I. ;)

Also, the 1998 KTA map shows that then-"future relocation" slabbing the ridge to the south instead of going right over it, as it does and as the 2004 edition KTA map now shows. Grrr... That's how I learned not to show "future relocations" when making hiking maps!

tree junkie
03-01-2008, 01:10
when i walk on the trail from the parking area, i go past the springs and all the way down to the creek, from there where is the shelter?

shelterbuilder
03-01-2008, 09:22
when i walk on the trail from the parking area, i go past the springs and all the way down to the creek, from there where is the shelter?

I assume from your rather general description that you're walking in from the Gold Mine Rd. parking lot headed WEST on the old railroad grade (now a one-lane access road/rail-trail). When you get to the bridge where Trout Unlimited has the stream reclaimation project (the 2 concrete empoundments directly upstream from the bridge), the AT comes in from the left just before the bridge, turns left onto the railroad grade over the bridge, and stays on the railroad grade for about 1/10 mile. At the first intersection, the AT turns to the right. Follow the AT for no more than 1/2 mile and keep looking for the trail signs that direct you to the shelter.

Please note that this shelter is on State Game lands and OUTSIDE of the 200' AT corridor, so PGC regulations apply. PGC has had problems with over-use and abuse at this site since the shelter was built, so they have designated the shelter "for use by persons entering the the AT at point A, leaving at point B, and hiking at least 25 miles between the two points" (paraphrase of the site regulations). This allows their LEOs to issue citations to anyone who parks in the parking lot, hikes in to camp, and hikes back out to the same parking lot afterward. The fines are not cheap, and the LEOs are usually able to find multiple violations per offender (ie - illegal fires, camping outside of the 200' AT corridor, etc.), and the fines are per person, not per group. So unless you just won the lottery and money is no object, please use common sense when staying here.

"I don't make the news, I just report it."

rafe
03-01-2008, 09:58
It felt a bit dark and gloomy when I was there (alone) last summer. Had a subterranean feel to it.. There was water in the trough (yay!). No picnic table (boo!) The place had a faint odor of kerosene that was disconcerting.

shelterbuilder
03-01-2008, 10:25
It felt a bit dark and gloomy when I was there (alone) last summer. Had a subterranean feel to it.. There was water in the trough (yay!). No picnic table (boo!) The place had a faint odor of kerosene that was disconcerting.

The shelter was built in the foundation of an old "steam genny" (generator) building that was used during the coal-mining operations that took place in the area in the 19th century. The table is the stainless steel circular thingy in front of the shelter (we had a picnic table at one time, but I think that the locals used it for firewood during deer season one year:eek:). The kerosene smell could have been from the "logs" themselves (recycled utility poles from the 70's), or from the modern waterproofing on the exterior.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:10
It also has very large mice - ie rats.

emerald
03-01-2008, 12:30
Maybe you saw an opossum.:-?

emerald
03-01-2008, 12:51
It's a nice shelter. The spring is directly in front about 15 feet away that pours in to a metal trough. Though the privy is getting quite full. It's in a beautiful spot with no 'outside world' noise. and your cell phones won't work there!

Years ago, this shelter built by BMECC was known as The Halfway Hilton.

I hammocked just to the left of the shelter. But if you like the sounds of the creek then you'll find even more spots along the creek. Get there during daylight and you'll find a great many places there and past the shelter. In case there are partiers there you can go past the privy or stay by the creek.

This post advises practices in violation of PGC regulations. I've underlined the violations for hikers unfamiliar with these regulations.

Camping is not permitted on SGLs outside a 200 foot corridor on each side of the A.T. (Rausch Gap Shelter is .3 from the A.T.) or within 500 feet of a spring or stream.

See my posts and shelterbuilder's above for more information.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2008, 13:07
received a wolf spider bite at rausch gap privy, didn't see the spider, but pretty sure based on the bite that it was a wolf spider, at least it wasn't anything worse
also received trail magic from weekend hikers in the shelter, and from illegally camped hikers near-by.
What does a Wolf-spider bite look like? I got bit by something in March 2006, I think near Gooch Mnt Shelter. Never felt the bite, but woke up one morning with a large lump in my mid to lower back, directly over my spine. Kind of freaked me out because I thought I had slipped a disc or something, because it was so hard and stuck out about an inch. It never came to a "head" where that stuff could seap out, just kind of went away over time. Also what was weird is that it was very cold, not an environment you would normally be concerned about insect bites.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 14:33
Maybe you saw an opossum.:-?

I didn't see it, Paul Bunyan did. He and Dethmarch chased them all night. I was sleeping rather blissfully in my tent.

But I did see a rat at Overmountain shelter.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 14:39
Camping is not permitted on SGLs outside a 200 foot corridor on each side of the A.T. (Rausch Gap Shelter is .3 from the A.T.) or within 500 feet of a spring or stream.

See my posts and shelterbuilder's above for more information.

I don't recall any post about this, in fact, had no idea about the regulation when I was in PA (whereas everyone knows about the Smokies regulations, etc). Is it posted on signs, etc? Might be good for hikers this year to know about it.

emerald
03-01-2008, 15:10
I didn't see it, Paul Bunyan did. He and Dethmarch chased them all night.

I wonder if PB and Dethmarch saw an Allegheny woodrat (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=486&q=152547), a Pennsylvania threatened species?

Rausch Gap Shelter is located on SGL #211 known to many as Saint Anthony's Wilderness, at least part of which is within what's known as the Stony Mountain Woodrat Complex, a Pennsylvania Important Mammal Area (IMA).

emerald
03-01-2008, 15:50
I don't recall any post about this, in fact, had no idea about the regulation when I was in PA (whereas everyone knows about the Smokies regulations, etc). Is it posted on signs, etc? Might be good for hikers this year to know about it.

Many people appear to not realize that north of Harpers Ferry through Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey much of the A.T. is on state-owned land.

Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) regs have been discussed here previously particularly by shelterbuilder and myself. It is often difficult to have a discussion about laws and regulations here when others shout us down and throw up disrespectful posts. We have tried to do what we can to help inform hikers.

PGC posts regulatory signs at all points of entry and has created a sign to help inform A.T. hikers of regs that apply specifically to them. WhiteBlaze has an image (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2320&catid=member&imageuser=1531) of PGC's sign contributed by The Old Fhart in its gallery.

Built in the early 1970s as a result of a special use permit at a time when camping was not permitted at all on SGLs, Rausch Gap Shelter is in a number of ways unique. Last season FD cleaned up many of the posts in this thread to reflect PGC's regs at my request.

Improvements have also been made to ALDHA's Companion to help clarify things. More could be done to inform A.T. hikers about SGLs and other state-owned lands and their regulations which not infrequently differ from the expectations of at least some hikers unfamiliar with these areas.

shelterbuilder
03-01-2008, 22:43
Many people appear to not realize that north of Harpers Ferry through Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey much of the A.T. is on state-owned land.

Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) regs have been discussed here previously particularly by shelterbuilder and myself. It is often difficult to have a discussion about laws and regulations here when others shout us down and throw up disrespectful posts. We have tried to do what we can to help inform hikers.

PGC posts regulatory signs at all points of entry and has created a sign to help inform hikers of regs that apply specifically to the A.T. and hikers. WhiteBlaze has an image (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2320&catid=member&imageuser=1531) of PGC's sign contributed by The Old Fhart in its gallery.

Built in the early 1970s as a result of a special use permit at a time when camping was not permitted at all on SGLs, Rausch Gap Shelter is in a number of ways unique. Last season FD cleaned up many of the posts in this thread to reflect PGC's regs at my request.

Improvements have also been made to ALDHA's Companion to help clarify things. More could be done to inform A.T. hikers about SGLs and other state-owned lands and their regulations which not infrequently differ from the expectations of at least some hikers unfamiliar with these areas.

Back in the 70's - when I started backpacking - it was illegal to camp anywhere along the AT on State Game Lands, and this was a huge problem for backpackers because much of the 220+ miles of the AT lies on SGL. SOG is correct when he mentions the special-use permit that BMECC and the Game Commission executed for the placement of the Rausch Gap shelter. And the Game Commission almost pulled the permit - several times - during the 80's because of abuses by "weekend warriors". BMECC was forced to set up a weekend caretaker program at the shelter, in order to educate users about proper camping techniques and to "police" the site - even though officially, we had no "police powers". The problems died down over those 3 years, but the Game Commission was still afraid of the problems returning, so they created a set of special regulations just for that area, basically limiting the site's use to "through-hikers", which they defined as hikers starting and ending at 2 different points along the trail that were at least 25 miles apart! Eventually, after the NPS got involved with the PGC regarding the AT on a state-wide basis, a "Memorandum of Understanding" was signed between NPS, ATC, and all of the state land-managing agencies whose land is crossed by the AT. PGC policy was changed to allow "primitive, one-night camping" within the 200' AT corridor anywhere along the trail, subject to a 500' exclusion zone near water sources, road crossings, trailheads, and parking lots.

The special regulations that grew up at this site were, I feel, a "necessary evil" for this very accessable, multiple-use area that is frequented by hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, and equestrians alike. State Game lands were NOT purchased by taxpayer money, but by monies generated by the sale of hunting licenses and special sales taxes on guns and ammunition. The lands were purchased as wildlife habitat, and their purchase was part of a very far-sighted conservation effort. Hikers and other non-hunters get to use these lands FOR FREE, and we all owe the PGC a large "thank you" for it's foresight.

DavidNH
03-01-2008, 22:56
That is the best kind of shelter..one where cell phones don't work!!!

And even better..there is great site to pitch tent real close by!

David

shelterbuilder
03-02-2008, 19:52
That is the best kind of shelter..one where cell phones don't work!!!

And even better..there is great site to pitch tent real close by!

David

Up until this past October, I was still using an old analog cell phone, and I could get a signal out of that valley, but only by hiking straight up the mountainsde from the shelter - about 300 yards uphill through a boulderfield!:eek: I haven't tried it yet with the digital model....

ki0eh
03-03-2008, 10:56
First, THANK YOU to the BMECC folks who have worked very hard over the years to allow backpackers to pass through this very unique and historic area!

Second, in case you have trouble rubbing your eyes hard enough to read the sign image, or someone stole it from the trailhead, here is a link to a more specific discussion of rules on PA's state lands, with links from there to the regulations themselves: http://www.satc-hike.org/paoutdoors.html#rules

Third, you need to read that web link before you go, there's no signal in that hollow. :)

Lellers
03-03-2008, 18:14
OK. I just want to make sure I have SGL camping rules along the AT corridor correctly implanted in my brain. It seems that I've been oblivious for a while and have broken a few rules in the past. I confess that I've camped back behind the privy at Rausch Gap.

I'm hoping to take a short jaunt NoBo from Duncannon to Rt 443 in a few weeks. I'm a sloooow hiker, and if I don't make it from Peter's Mtn Shelter to Rausch Gap, can I spend a night anywhere along the AT between the two shelters, as long as I'm within 200' of the trail and not within 500' of a water source or public access?

I'm a little confused because the data book, page 28 says: "Camping and establishing campsites are prohibited on State Game Lands. The only exceptions are a few designated areas such as the Rausch Gap Shelter in Game Lands #211." To me, that says I can only stay in the shelter. But a few more lines along in the paragraph, I read, "The Game Commission does permit primitive camping along the Appalachian Trail as it traverses Game Lands." And then the rules above are listed.

So, can I or can I not camp on the ground between Peter's Mtn Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter?

ki0eh
03-03-2008, 19:59
OK. I just want to make sure I have SGL camping rules along the AT corridor correctly implanted in my brain.

I'm hoping to take a short jaunt NoBo from Duncannon to Rt 443 in a few weeks. I'm a sloooow hiker, and if I don't make it from Peter's Mtn Shelter to Rausch Gap, can I spend a night anywhere along the AT between the two shelters, as long as I'm within 200' of the trail and not within 500' of a water source or public access?

YES!!:bananaThe exact answer is here: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html

The ghost village of Yellow Springs is an example of a legal camping area on your route, since the eponymous "springs" are well down a side trail destroyed by erosion, and in addition those are a fine example of naturally occurring acid drainage (hence "yellow"). 5 miles trail-south of Rausch Gap. Obviously, one then needs to carry water in from locations not legal to camp at. Do not disturb or remove any cultural artifacts you may find in this area. Be sure to sign in!

Speaking of water, it usually can be found about 50 yards to the trail-west (left for NOBO) on the side trail to "The General" about 2 miles trail-north of Yellow Springs village. Heading down the tantalizingly named Cold Spring Trail nearby will eventually lead you to where you can't quite see the eponymous Cold Spring, all the way down the mountain; then the way back up will make you wish for a jaunt back up from the Peters Mountain Shelter spring. :D

emerald
03-05-2008, 00:51
Second, in case you have trouble rubbing your eyes hard enough to read the sign image, or someone stole it from the trailhead...

I would be happy to link a sharper image (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2320&catid=member&imageuser=1531) were someone to post one to WB's gallery and call it to my attention.

So, can I or can I not camp between Peter's Mtn Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter?

On my copy of KTA's map Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania Sections 7&8 Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap, the land ownership where Peters Mountain Shelter rests and immediately N of it is not indicated. N of PA 325, the AT passes out of SGL #211 onto what appears may be watershed. Perhaps ki0eh could clarify ownership and whether camping by thru hikers is permitted in these areas.

Lellers, you appear to understand camping is not permitted within 500 feet of PA 325, along Rausch Gap Shelter's blue-blazed access trail more than 200 feet from the AT or around the shelter itself and that to use RGS you must travel on foot 25 miles which would make you a thru hiker as defined by the stricter PCG rule pertaining to use of this shelter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=556244&postcount=43).

emerald
03-05-2008, 01:17
It may be desirable to begin a St. Anthony's Wilderness thread and link this thread to it and vice-versa. This thread's beginning to resemble the Eagle's Nest Shelter thread which became unnecessarily complicated by posts related to SGL #110, but then I've been thinking all BMECC shelter threads might be improved by creating a new thread for each with the essential information consolidated in a single opening post.

Blue Jay
03-05-2008, 08:54
Hikers and other non-hunters get to use these lands FOR FREE, and we all owe the PGC a large "thank you" for it's foresight.

I was just talking to someone who lives in the area and this is completely correct. Thank you to the PGC and all those who have helped to keep the AT "free". As we all know freedom isn't free, it takes someone or some group to keep it that way.

ki0eh
03-05-2008, 08:58
On my copy of KTA's map Appalachain Trail in Pennsylvania Sections 7&8 Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap, the land ownership where Peters Mountain Shelter rests and immediately N of it is not indicated. N of PA 325, the AT passes out of SGL #211 onto what appears may be watershed. Perhaps ki0eh could clarify ownership and whether camping by thru hikers is permitted in these areas.

Peters Mountain Shelter is on NPS land. The corridor gets pretty narrow as I understand in the immediate vicinity of the old Victoria Road but then comes onto DCNR's Ibberson Conservation Area (shown on the 2004 edition KTA A.T. map) before entering the area of SGL 211 north of Clarks Valley. (I understand that corner of SGL 211 was what PP&L purchased to "swap" for the Stony Creek Valley in the 1970's, with intent to build the pumped storage facility that was eventually cancelled, see the middle and end of http://www.satc-hike.org/history.htm )

The 2004 KTA A.T. map shows an NPS owned corridor along the A.T. cutting through the area on Sharp Mountain south of DeHart Dam. The Harrisburg Authority retains ownership both sides outside this corridor, confirmed with the Dauphin County GIS. (this is the land the National Guard wanted to buy and "swap" for the south side of Stony Creek adjacent to Fort Indiantown Gap; see http://www.savestonyvalley.com/ )

And, yes, it probably would be a good idea to have a "St. Anthony's Wilderness" thread - I think there's already one for 'The General'.

ki0eh
03-05-2008, 09:29
I was just talking to someone who lives in the area and this is completely correct. Thank you to the PGC and all those who have helped to keep the AT "free". As we all know freedom isn't free, it takes someone or some group to keep it that way.

Yes, the PGC can pay $400/acre for land - the $400 comes from hunting license sales, ammunition taxes, timber sales, and mineral extraction.

The days of $400/acre land are long gone in PA - when the PGC buys land that is freely accessible to all those who obey the regulations, donors are needed to make up the difference between $400 and the real price. Typically, many conservation organizations join together to make this happen. See an example at http://www.satc-hike.org/pafootpaths.html

So the good news is that you, too, can participate in preserving PA's landscapes as Game Lands - even if you don't hunt, log, or mine.

emerald
03-05-2008, 14:53
I suspected I might not have the most recent edition of KTA's map. Time to purchase a new map. Thanks for the information.

effman
12-22-2008, 11:13
This is a great shelter, yes its a little worn down but sooo many good memories there. I first started visiting this area in '99 and seem to get there about once a year. i don't always stay there but it is certainly in a beautiful area. the fire ring is nice due to the big steel plate behind it that reflects the heat back to you on cold nights

Kerosene
12-22-2008, 12:58
I stopped here for lunch during my section hike of central PA in 1974 when this was considered one of the high-end shelters on the AT! I recall being impressed by the way that water from the spring was routed through an "aquaduct" to the shelter, but I'm not sure that feature is still there.

shelterbuilder
12-22-2008, 16:57
I stopped here for lunch during my section hike of central PA in 1974 when this was considered one of the high-end shelters on the AT! I recall being impressed by the way that water from the spring was routed through an "aquaduct" to the shelter, but I'm not sure that feature is still there.

Yep, it's still there. The original "aquaduct" pipe was plastic and got melted because of fires in the firepit that were SO HOT that the heat transferred through the stones and barbequed the PVC. We replaced that pipe a dozen years ago, and as long as the iron plate remains in place, most of the heat will reflect away from the wall. BTW, the pipe runs back to the spring under the large boulder on the uphill side of the blue trail.

effman
06-01-2009, 14:12
The privy has been re-built, I don't know how full it is, but will find out shortly

shelterbuilder
06-01-2009, 21:16
The privy has been re-built, I don't know how full it is, but will find out shortly

It better not be full yet!!!

But someone cut out the funnel under the seat, so now we've got urine running out under the front of the seat-riser!:( I guess that I'll have to go up and repair this before any more damage is done to the structure.

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 00:05
Wow, this old thread brings back memories. I night-hiked in to Rausch Gap Shelter in late October 2002. It was a chilly, misty night - the air so damp, it felt heavy. I spent a few moments at the old cemetery, rested on the bridge enjoying the rushing of the stream, then walked on up to the shelter. I was expecting to meet a fellow SOBO I'd been running into, but found the shelter empty. Shelter was nice, no rats, no mice. So I enjoyed a very peaceful sleep there by myself. It was lovely. Loved the unique water feature, loved the site, loved the whole area.

Nasty Dog Virus
06-02-2009, 08:10
I was out at Rausch Gap Shelter a few weeks ago. I was able to get a cell signal if I stood on the roof of the shelter. I came in on the Sand Spring Trail off of 325. I guess that my over-nighter was illegal because I didn't go 25 miles and start/end in a different place. I'm thinking of hanging my hammock off "the General" later this week. Hopefully I don't run into the woods police....

shelterbuilder
06-02-2009, 21:30
I was out at Rausch Gap Shelter a few weeks ago. I was able to get a cell signal if I stood on the roof of the shelter. I came in on the Sand Spring Trail off of 325. I guess that my over-nighter was illegal because I didn't go 25 miles and start/end in a different place. I'm thinking of hanging my hammock off "the General" later this week. Hopefully I don't run into the woods police....

Not to be encouraging illegal behavior, but if it was me heading for an overnight at "the General" or any other "day-use only" site, I probably wouldn't broadcast it to the world!:-?

I'm just sayin'....

Nasty Dog Virus
06-03-2009, 08:56
Not to be encouraging illegal behavior, but if it was me heading for an overnight at "the General" or any other "day-use only" site, I probably wouldn't broadcast it to the world!:-?

I'm just sayin'....

Shelter, you want to head into Stony Valley with me this weekend? We could check on the condition of the Rausch Gap Shelter/Privy? Nothing better than hanging your hammock on Rausch Creek right near the turnoff to the Shelter! and what's up with the re-route near the railroad bridge / limestone well? The last time I was out there, the bridge was fine to walk across but the trail seemed to be re-routed across the creek upstream of the limestone well.

Mrs Baggins
03-24-2010, 05:23
Read through all of the posts here - - no one has updated this thread since last June. We're planning a very short section hike - 28 miles - from the area of Clark Creek nobo and our first night would be at Rausch Gap shelter and then William Penn Shelter. The posts go back and forth - - can't stay there if you're not hiking a certain distance; can stay there; can't tent; can tent. The 2010 AT Guide says "no tenting" and "no fires" yet many posts mention the nice fire ring.

So what IS the REAL, honest, (not the "just go and you'll probably get away with it") deal on this shelter???? Also, posts mention nice water source right in front of shelter, yet the Guide says nothing about where the water is. Directing me to the website for the area is no help. It's just as confusing and many others on this thread have said as much.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2010, 06:56
Can't tell you about camping or fire regs or current conditions but the water source is arguably the most convenient on the entire AT. It flows right in front of the shelter in a sluiceway - as I recall, you don't even have to bend down to fill your cup/bottle. Famous last words but true: you can't miss it.

emerald
03-24-2010, 13:55
We're planning a very short section hike - 28 miles - from the area of Clark Creek nobo and our first night would be at Rausch Gap Shelter and then William Penn Shelter.

Any confusion stems from considering all of the information posted and trying to make sense of it. Ignore everything except information provided by The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (PGC) or conveyed on their behalf by KTA, ALDHA in it's Companion or BMECC (meaning shelterbuilder and myself). Consider ki0eh's posts (SATC) reliable too.

Based upon Mrs Baggins recent post quoted in part above, she would be considered a through hiker and could legally use Rausch Gap Shelter. Through hikers (http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html) traveling 25 miles may use the shelter up to its capacity.

Camping is not permitted in the area immediately surrounding Rausch Gap Shelter. Those who do not wish to make use of it are expected to comply with The Pennsylvania Code as it relates to Pennsylvania State Game Lands where camping is not permitted except as specified in the link provided.

Mrs Baggins has been added to my contacts list and I have forwarded our correspondence to shelterbuilder.

shelterbuilder
03-25-2010, 09:03
Read through all of the posts here - - no one has updated this thread since last June. We're planning a very short section hike - 28 miles - from the area of Clark Creek nobo and our first night would be at Rausch Gap shelter and then William Penn Shelter. The posts go back and forth - - can't stay there if you're not hiking a certain distance; can stay there; can't tent; can tent. The 2010 AT Guide says "no tenting" and "no fires" yet many posts mention the nice fire ring.

So what IS the REAL, honest, (not the "just go and you'll probably get away with it") deal on this shelter???? Also, posts mention nice water source right in front of shelter, yet the Guide says nothing about where the water is. Directing me to the website for the area is no help. It's just as confusing and many others on this thread have said as much.

I tried to send Mrs Baggins a PM last night, but my computer had a stroke this week and I'm not sure that she got it. However, for the benefit of all:

The Rausch Gap Shelter lies within State Game Lands 211 (one of the largest tracts that's owned by the PGC). The shelter is - and has always been - a favorite destination of hikers, bikers, horsemen, and hunters since its construction in the early 70's, and because of this, the Game Commission patrols this area FREQUENTLY. Back in the 70's and 80's (when it was still illegal to camp anywhere along the AT on State Game Lands), there were special-use regs that were developed just for this area...but now, the regs for Game Commission-owned land along the AT are pretty standardized (perhaps emerald could post the link, since I'm not very good at that sort of thing).

Basically, the PGC regs permit "thru-hikers" (who enter and leave the AT at 2 different points that are at least 25 miles apart) to engage in "primitive, one-night camping" WITHIN 200 FEET of the footpath, PROVIDED that the campsite is more than 500 feet away from streams, parking lots, road crossings, and trailheads. Small warming fires (please, no supersizing!) are permitted EXCEPT when the danger of wildfires is "HIGH, VERY HIGH, OR EXTREME" (as defined by the Bureau of Forestry).

The shelter is at this location by special permission of the Game Commission. The PGC's primary focus is habitat preservation that serves to enhance and sustain wildlife populations, so in this case, the PGC and I see eye-to-eye about the shelter: it is a resource management tool that's designed to concentrate human use/abuse into one area. This allows the rest of the Game Lands - and the AT - to remain relatively untouched.

In spite of any evidence to the contrary, the various campsites surrounding the shelter are NOT legal campsites, since they are all beyond the 200 foot zone surrounding the AT, and several are actually within 500 feet of Rausch Creek. Anyone caught camping at these sites by the Game Commission - and they usually patrol at dusk or shortly thereafter - can and will be fined for illegal camping.:eek: Got a bonfire going? That's another fine!:eek: Oh, and that's per person, too!:eek::eek:

And please, don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger....

Mrs Baggins
03-25-2010, 11:02
I did get the PM Shelterbuilder and thank you very much! I passed it on to the people I'll be with so that we all understand the rules.

Keep up the good work!:D

Bloomer
04-25-2010, 14:23
Stayed ther for one night and it was a wonderful stay. No noise and the best spring water. No mice casue there was very little to no trash. Hope this shelter stays this way.. One of the best

shelterbuilder
04-25-2010, 18:52
Stayed ther for one night and it was a wonderful stay. No noise and the best spring water. No mice casue there was very little to no trash. Hope this shelter stays this way.. One of the best

Hey, that's GREAT - glad to hear it!

I still have to get in to the site to do some repair work on - what else? - the toilet, and we will have to do a MAJOR rebuild on the roof sometime in the near future, but I'm glad that the place gets some good use from time to time.

shelterbuilder
12-10-2011, 22:25
As some of you already know, BMECC is working on a major "restoration" of the Rausch Gap Shelter. The upper (wooden) section of the shelter is deteriorating from nearly 40 years of exposure to the elements, and the series of "complex spot-repairs" that we had planned were simply not enough to justify the new, larger roof that we were planning.

During the summer, BMECC harvested over 2 dozen Japanese Larch trees from a nearby tract of State Forest land. The logs were delivered to the club's property in Bernville, and we are now in the process of trying to "recreate" much of the original shelter's design using a "Scandinavian Scribe" style of cutting. During this "pre-fab" phase, the work will all be done at the club's Bernville property (easier to get to, plus there's HEAT if we get cold). The current shelter will be left in place (minus the front section of the roof, which was in danger of collapsing); later next year, we will tear out the old wooden section, bring in the new section, and put on a much larger roof that will give the entire structure more protection from the weather.

And so...the old shelterbuilder is at it again....:rolleyes:

Bloomer
12-10-2011, 23:54
I like the table around the tree out front of the shelter. It makes cooking easy and is very unique compaired to other shelters on the AT. This is one of my favorites and not just because its' the closest to my home. I have noticed over the last few years that the amount of water that flows through the piped springs has slowed and amount of water flowing over the approach trail has increased. I've hung my hammock and observed many people camping along the approach trail on the left going to the shelter. These spots are very large and worn areas with fire rings and logs to sit on. I will be going there tomarrow, hiking in from Rt 72 parking area. Anyone want to join me drop me a email.

shelterbuilder
12-11-2011, 21:40
I like the table around the tree out front of the shelter. It makes cooking easy and is very unique compaired to other shelters on the AT. This is one of my favorites and not just because its' the closest to my home. I have noticed over the last few years that the amount of water that flows through the piped springs has slowed and amount of water flowing over the approach trail has increased. I've hung my hammock and observed many people camping along the approach trail on the left going to the shelter. These spots are very large and worn areas with fire rings and logs to sit on. I will be going there tomarrow, hiking in from Rt 72 parking area. Anyone want to join me drop me a email.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the tree that supports this table is dead, and we need to figure out what we are going to do about the situation. Obviously, a dead tree THAT CLOSE to the shelter can't be allowed to remain, as it is a "hazard tree" that threatens both the shelter AND anyone who happens to be stopped there. I was at the site today trying to make a determination.

We've always had somewhat of a water problem on the access trail. The raised treadway along the side of the access was built 20 years ago by the Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew to keep the access from becoming a complete "wet-foot" trail, but the drainage fills with leaves and has to be cleaned out every so often. BMECC and ATC are keeping an eye on the run-off problem at this site; at this time, we feel that global warming is contributing to the severe storms that are dumping rainfall in record amounts; this was never this much of a problem in the past.

The main spring for this site is "diurnally cyclic" - when the trees are "awake", they draw down the water table and the spring stops flowing; sometime between midnight and 3 AM, the spring starts running again!

We were also doing some trail reconstuction in the area - Irene and Lee really did some damage to the main trail.

shelterbuilder
01-18-2012, 19:47
As some of you already know, BMECC is working on a major "restoration" of the Rausch Gap Shelter. The upper (wooden) section of the shelter is deteriorating from nearly 40 years of exposure to the elements, and the series of "complex spot-repairs" that we had planned were simply not enough to justify the new, larger roof that we were planning.

During the summer, BMECC harvested over 2 dozen Japanese Larch trees from a nearby tract of State Forest land. The logs were delivered to the club's property in Bernville, and we are now in the process of trying to "recreate" much of the original shelter's design using a "Scandinavian Scribe" style of cutting. During this "pre-fab" phase, the work will all be done at the club's Bernville property (easier to get to, plus there's HEAT if we get cold). The current shelter will be left in place (minus the front section of the roof, which was in danger of collapsing); later next year, we will tear out the old wooden section, bring in the new section, and put on a much larger roof that will give the entire structure more protection from the weather.

And so...the old shelterbuilder is at it again....:rolleyes:

Just a quick update on the shelter restoration project - BMECC's website has a new feature - a slideshow - that we will update from time to time to show everyone our progress. http://www.bmecc.org - this will take you to the club's homepage, then scroll down and look for the "special projects" link on the left of the page.

As the weather deteriorates, I expect that some of the wintertime worktrips will be cancelled, but we will do our best to get the pre-fab work completed this year (and maybe even get the old shelter removed and the reconstructed one installed).

lunchbx
01-18-2012, 20:37
Im not sure what shelter it was but a few years back a shelter got smashed to bits buy a fallen tree i remember seeing a pic of it if someone has it please post.

shelterbuilder
01-18-2012, 20:43
I vaguely remember an incident like that - I'm thinking maybe in Conn. or Mass.

Slow n' Steady
01-21-2012, 12:01
I loved this location because of the history surrounding it. Thank you for restoring this shelter...I hope to visit it in 2013. Sorry to see the tree and table go. I liked being able to prepare my dinner there.

shelterbuilder
01-21-2012, 12:08
With regards to the tree and table, I actually have a plan to keep the table for a bit longer. If we can remove the top of the tree without weakening the existing roots, the table could be used for a few more years. (But here we go again...another difficult tree job...ropes, pulleys, come-alongs, ground crew....) I need more folks on my work crews with tree experience.

shelterbuilder
02-22-2012, 20:43
Hi, folks!

Just a quick update on our shelter restoration project: during the last 2 worktrips (February), we made some INCREDIBLE progress, due in large part to the efforts of former thru-hiker and BMECC club-member Todd Gladfelter, who showed up with Mick from the Eckville Shelter and a whole bunch of tools and chainsaws. They are coming back this Sunday, and if we keep up the kind of pace that we've had during those other 2 worktrips, we may be able to get the front purlin laid across the walls! Pray for good weather, and don't forget to check out the slideshow at the club's website http://www.bmecc.org - scroll down to the "special projects" link on the left.

Stay tuned...there's strange stuff "in the wind" on this project!

shelterbuilder
06-10-2012, 21:04
WOW! It's been over three months since I reported our progress on this shelter restoration project.

We've been busy! The new shelter-shell is almost 100% completed, and sits quietly on BMECC's property in Bernville, Pa. It's been much easier to do the pre-fab work here that at the actual site which is on PGC land (where access is sometimes a problem due to conflicts with hunting seasons, etc). The new shelter will have a substantially larger roof (more protection from the weather), but will maintain the same basic size and shape as the old shelter. We aren't "going large" - just correcting some old mistakes to give the shelter a new lease on life.

And now, we've started the on-site work! We recently got the "all clear" from the Game Commission to begin the demolition of the old log-work. Yesterday, we had a small crew (4) and got all of the shingles and tarpaper off of the roof, and removed almost half of the plywood (which we hope to recycle into the new roof later this year). And we had so much fun being "vandals" that we've decided to go back this coming Saturday and do it again!!!

So here's the deal: anyone who is reading this and who would like to lend a hand (and see just how involved a shelter-maintenence project can be) is encouraged to meet us at the GOLD MINE ROAD PARKING LOT on SGL#211 at 12:30 PM this coming Saturday (June 16th). (Gold Mine Road is the connecting road between Pa Rt. 443 and Tower City, and can be found on MapQuest and other internet mapping sites.) This will be an all-afternoon event, so bring plenty of water and a snack or two to keep up your strength. We hope to remove the remaining plywood from the roof and remove the rafters as well. If there's time, we can begin cutting up the logs in the walls with reciprocating saws (we cannot use chainsaws because this shelter was pinned together with steel rods, and we have NO idea exactly where the rods are located). Work gloves, old clothes, and an irrational desire to get dirty will be helpful. Wrecking bars, hammers, and wheelbarrows can also be put to good use.

We have permission from the Game Commission to drive back along their dirt road to within about 1/3 mile of the shelter site, but we cannot leave the gate unlocked, so we will all have to go back as a single group, and leave the same way.

Questions? PM me here. We hope to make this one of the best shelter-maintaining projects ever - come out and be a part of something really special!

shelterbuilder
06-18-2012, 21:29
AND JUST LIKE MAGIC, THE RAUSCH GAP SHELTER HAS DISAPPEARED!

Last weekend, a crew of "demolition experts" from BMECC, SATC, and ATC "brought the house down", so to speak. Once the roof and the rafters were off, all it took was one big push, and down she came...and we spent the rest of the day cutting up the old logs, cleaning up debris, and beginning to carry out the demolition tailings.

The real job is just beginning. We still have repairs to the old foundation that have to be made, there are some trees that will have to "get out of the way", and there's going to be a LOT of carry-in work. The pre-fabbed shelter-shell will have to be dismantled and carried in, and then re-assembled on-site (no helicopter-flight for this shelter; this one will have to walk in "the old-fashioned way"). Here's a link to BMECC's home page; scroll down to the "special projects" link and click on that for a look at the slide show of our pre-fab work: http://www.bmecc.org .

shelb
06-18-2012, 23:10
Thank you for your dedication to the AT and for all your hard work!

shelterbuilder
06-19-2012, 21:35
A labor of love.

There are some folks who dislike shelters (for a variety of reasons), and I won't debate the pros and cons of shelters here. But shelters along the A.T. have a long tradition that goes back to the original trail-building days, and those of us who believe that shelters STILL have a place in the trail's infra-structure can occasionally find a project like this and "try to make a difference". (This is the third time that I've been privileged to be able to "make a difference".) Even though many long-distance hikers avoid shelters, many local folks use them regularly...and it is the "local folks" who actually make up the majority of the trail's users.

Do shelters cause certain problems? Sure! But they also afford an opportunity to sit and talk with other hikers (of varying outdoor-skill levels) and exchange knowledge and information...learn new skills...change old attitudes...make new friends.

Besides - projects like this keep me out of the bars! :jump

shelterbuilder
07-16-2012, 20:14
With regards to the tree and table, I actually have a plan to keep the table for a bit longer. If we can remove the top of the tree without weakening the existing roots, the table could be used for a few more years. (But here we go again...another difficult tree job...ropes, pulleys, come-alongs, ground crew....) I need more folks on my work crews with tree experience.

AND THE PLAN ACTUALLY WORKED!!! On Saturday the 14th, emerald and I took down the upper section of the table-tree. By doing some very careful cutting, we were able to save the lower 7 feet of the tree, and later in the day, we re-attached the tale to its supports. It's completely usable again! Since the tree is actually dead, it is only a matter of time before the roots weaken enough for the table and the tree to topple over, but until then...COOK AWAY!

And there's more good news. We now have 2/3 of the foundation prep-work completed. After the next worktrip, the new foundational sill should be finished and ready for the new sill-plate. We've also taken down several more standing dead "hazard" trees, so the area is safer than it had been. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of the old log debris (from the shelter) that needs to be removed from the site (no, we can't just "chuck it over the side" - these "logs" were utility poles in another life, and were empregnated with creasote, so they have to be disposed of properly).

Anyone who wants to follow the club's progress on our website can check out the slide show at the "special projects" link on the homepage at www.bmecc.org (http://www.bmecc.org) . Or, better yet, check the schedule and come join us on one or more of the listed worktrips.

shelterbuilder
08-22-2012, 21:41
For those following this project on the BMECC website www.bmecc.org (http://www.bmecc.org) , the slide show is about 2 weeks behind our actual progress.

On Friday, August 10th, we attempted to move the de-constructed shelter from the Arboretum in Bernville to a staging area near the shelter site. While transporting the 2nd load of logs, the truck and trailer were involved in a serious crash on Rt. 443 near the I-81 interchange at Pine Grove. :eek: The truck and trailer were both total losses, and our driver had to be flown to the Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, where he underwent surgery for a broken hip! (It's a wonder that he survived at all, given the condition of the truck.) He is now getting therapy at a short-term rehab center near his home in Schuylkill County, Pa., and is expected to make a full recovery.

HOWEVER --- the logs survived the crash with only minor scrapes and scuffs! :bananaOn Saturday, another truck and trailer were sent by ATC to retrieve the logs and they were delivered to the Game Lands parking lot near Gold Mine Road, where they were transported the remaining 3 1/2 miles to the staging area on top of the sled-dog condo on shelterbuilder's Ford Ranger! :rolleyes: During the day on Saturday, BMECC club members and a local Boy Scout troop moved the logs and supplies the last 1/2 mile to the shelter site, and by evening on Sunday, the log-work had been completely re-assembled! :D We have had several small-crew work trips during the last 2 weeks, and the plywood and tarpaper are almost completely on the shelter, and we will have another 2-day work trip this weekend (August 25/26 Sat/Sun) to try to complete the roofing.

And now...the "small favor" that I have no right to ask - but I'll ask anyway. We have the remains of the old shelter sitting in a pile at the staging area along the rail-trail that runs through State Game Lands 211. We need to load this creosote-contaminated debris into pick-up trucks and move it across the Rausch Creek Bridge to a dumpster that's on the other side of the bridge. (For safety reasons, the dumpster will not be allowed to cross the bridge.) I am short on pick-up trucks, but I'm even shorter on people to do the loading and unloading. If there are a few good folks out there in WhiteBlaze-land who would like to help us complete this project by getting the debris into the dumpster this weekend, please PM me here for additional info. Ideally, we can put together a large enough crew that it can be split into "loaders" and "unloaders", so that no one will be working constantly.

(Or, if you'd prefer to help us do the roofing, come with your tools on Saturday. This will free up someone else to help with the debris removal. Either way, PM me during the week so that I'll know that you're coming. We'll be driving in on the rail-trail road, but I'll have to lock the gate behind me.)

Kerosene
08-23-2012, 11:55
I'd definitely come out to help if I was within a few hours drivetime of Duncannon. Come on people, you can count this as a workout!

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 13:18
I'd definitely come out to help if I was within a few hours drivetime of Duncannon. Come on people, you can count this as a workout!

Agreed!! Wish I lived closer..........

Shelterbuilder- you rock for all the hard work you do. I love shelters personally. I see them as a nice gathering place, when I'm hiking. They are a great place to get out of a storm or steady rain. Plus, it's a great place to put my "goodies" for the hikers coming thru. That's just to name a few...thanks again. :)

shelterbuilder
08-23-2012, 21:50
Thanks, all. I just hope that a few folks who are closer to this area are able to come out. So far, I've gotten 2 responses...we'll see what happens.

Hey, Wood Chuck, are you lurking out there? Get an ALDHA crew together and come out for this one - it'll be like old times at the Eagle's Nest Shelter! I'll even let you put up a birdhouse! :)

Angle
08-24-2012, 12:58
I should be able to come help out for part of the day. Let me know at what time you will be starting

shelterbuilder
08-24-2012, 19:40
The main group will be going through the gate at the Gold Mine Road parking lot around 9 AM. (Gold Mine Road is a connector between Rt. 443 and Tower City; the parking lot is at the bottom of the first mountain - look for the old brown Game Commission sign on the left.)

Since I was just informed that I "will be working overtime on Saturday morning", I will be arriving at the gate around 12:30 PM. My best guess for an "official" quitting time would be between 5 and 6 PM. However, we have at least one other person who needs to leave mid-afternoon, so between all of the comings and goings, I'm sure that we can get you in and out to suit your schedule.

Of course, if you don't mind a 3 1/2 mile bike ride (one way), you can come and go when you please. Some of our regulars do this "just for fun".

Lunch, water, work gloves and bug repellent. FYI - there is NO cell service in this area.

Shelterbuilder.

zr700
09-03-2012, 20:03

The shelter really looks great, you guys did a good job, thanks to all that helped! :)

Ktaadn
09-18-2012, 16:01
Is this shelter still "no tenting allowed"? How is the campsite that is .1 miles south?

shelterbuilder
10-08-2012, 21:24
Since this area is within State Game Lands, the standard PGC regulations apply: primitive, one-night camping is permitted within 200 feet of the footpath, but must be more than 500 feet away from water sources, trailheads, road crossingsw, and parking lots, AND you must be starting and ending your hike at 2 different locations. The shelter site itself is made available by the Game Commission with special permission, since it is more than 200 feet from the A.T. Most of the tent sites in the area are NOT legal ones, and ARE patrolled.

(I don't make the rules, I just report on them.)

shelterbuilder
10-08-2012, 21:40
GREAT PHOTOS!!!

The project is finsihed, the site is re-opened, and the official dedication took place on Sunday, October 7th. The rain held off for most of the day, although it was a bit chilly.

The log work is completely new, and was re-assembled on-site in only one day! Additionally, thespring pipe was replaced, the fire pit was cleaned out and completely re-built, the original stone patio (this is stonework that was original to the 1800's construction) was raised and leveled (to prevent future flooding during torrential storms), and new drainage was added to divert rainwater away from the area in front of the shelter. The foundation was also repaired and re-pointed.

The final tally: over 16 months from tree to shelter, over 100 volunteers participated, and over 2700 man-hours contributed to this project. BMECC and its agency partners and assisting groups (SATC, Alpha Phi Omega Natinal Service Fraternity, and 2 local Boy Scout troops) have the right to be very proud of the finished product. I was blessed with a remarkable crew for the last shelterbuilding project of my career.

HikerMom58
10-08-2012, 22:18
Shelterbuilder... that is amazing!! The pics are really good. The shelter looks great!! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into this project. I'm really glad you had a supportive crew!! We will be up in that area next year! We usually tent but it will be great to have this shelter as a place to hang out. Thanks a million!!

CELTIC BUCK
07-01-2015, 07:23
Stayed near here Memorial Day weekend. water is the Best. New Shelter is wonderful and the Privy was fine.I tent camped with Walker my Lab it was his first over night hike and he was a great

jimmyjam
07-01-2015, 11:14
It is a very nice shelter. I tarped in the meadow just passed the shelter when I passed thru- beautiful spot.

Cue
10-04-2015, 12:12
Outstanding work.

hikernutcasey
05-03-2016, 15:00
Doing a section from Duncannon to Lehigh Gap later this month and I understand I can't camp at Rausch shelter? Guide shows a campsite on the trail 1/2 mile past the shelter. Can I get water from the Rausch creek crossing and camp at the campsite?

capehiker
05-03-2016, 18:00
Doing a section from Duncannon to Lehigh Gap later this month and I understand I can't camp at Rausch shelter? Guide shows a campsite on the trail 1/2 mile past the shelter. Can I get water from the Rausch creek crossing and camp at the campsite?

At the actual shelter there is plenty of camping. Plenty. There is a piped spring with tasty water at the shelter as well. There is another large tent site just south of the shelter blue blaze but along the trail. It is right next to the creek. I prefer to tent at the shelter as it sits in a nice location, has fresh water, and a privy is there.

Where there may be misunderstanding is a good portion of the AT in eastern PA is on state game lands which have various camping restrictions. You can camp at established AT shelters year round.

shelterbuilder
05-03-2016, 20:19
PGC camping regulations are fairly restrictive - the Game Commission's primary focus is habitat preservation and wildlife management. You may camp overnight WITHIN 200 feet of the footpath, provided that you are more than 500 feet away from parking lots, road crossings, trailheads and WATER SOURCES. "Warming fires" are permitted except when the danger of wildfires is "high, very high, or extreme" (as defined by the Bureau of Forestry). Also, you need to enter the A.T. at a different point than the one from which you exit. And be aware that the entire month of May is Spring Gobbler season, so there will be hunters in the woods every day except Sunday.

Kaptainkriz
03-15-2018, 21:59
Shelter looks like it's still ok...bunch o trees blown down on it though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TXP9j_1AQ

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:31
nice video of the random poop house.