PDA

View Full Version : Mountain-to-Sea Trail...

Phreak
01-26-2007, 20:00
I'm postponing my BMT hike in favor of hiking the MST. If anyone is interested in hiking any or part of this trail, I'll be starting around March 3rd or 4th. I'm starting in TN and hiking East. Looking at 4.5 - 6 weeks for this trip.

FYI, I will have my dog Suzi with me on this trip once I exit the GSMNP section at the beginning of the hike.

grizzlyadam
01-26-2007, 20:10
how much of the mst are you going to do?

Big Dawg
01-26-2007, 20:16
Phreak, have fun!! I'm assuming you're doing the whole thing, considering you mentioned it would take you 4-6 weeks. The MST is on my list of trails to hike, especially considering it's in my home state, and runs through my city (Greensboro). I wish I could join you, but things are too crazy around the Dawg house. I'm a new daddy. Also, I'll be joining my friend on several sections as he thru hikes the AT this year. If you need any shuttle help while in this area, just let me know. Enjoy!!

RiverWarriorPJ
01-26-2007, 20:23
FYI, I will have my dog Suzi with me on this trip once I exit the GSMNP section at the beginning of the hike.

Is someone driving Suzi further down the MST or have you made some other arrangement..ie: Drop her off 1st w/a friend..??..

Sly
01-26-2007, 21:49
I'm postponing my BMT hike in favor of hiking the MST. If anyone is interested in hiking any or part of this trail, I'll be starting around March 3rd or 4th. I'm starting in TN and hiking East. Looking at 4.5 - 6 weeks for this trip.

Starting in TN? It's the North Carolina State Trail. ;)

Tipi Walter
01-26-2007, 21:53
I met grizzlyadam at a backpacking store in Greensboro(Hello!!)and he seems to know alot about this trail. A good source of info.

I've backpacked a lot of the trail around Greentown/Pisgah Upper Creek, Steels Creek and Linville Gorge, and especially the area around Trout Lake and Rich Mountain by the Blue Ridge Parkway(and Blowing Rock, NC). The section around Greentown/Harpers Creek is one of the wildest and most remote and it's a great place to be.

I've done alittle of the lake section around Greensboro(the old tricycle and the little boardwalks)and I've heard the trail to the east is mostly road walking. Is this still true?

troglobil
01-26-2007, 21:57
But it starts on Clingmans Dome.

LeeF
01-26-2007, 22:04
Phreak,
When you get to the triangle area let us know. I'll be happy to provide you with a shuttle if possible. By the way, how are you planning on handling all the areas down east with no camping possibilities?

Phreak
01-26-2007, 22:31
how much of the mst are you going to do?

I'm hiking the entire main route (approx. 943 miles)

Phreak
01-26-2007, 22:36
Is someone driving Suzi further down the MST or have you made some other arrangement..ie: Drop her off 1st w/a friend..??..

My friend, "Sherpa", is going to drop me off near Clingmans Dome and then he's going to wait with Suzi outside of the GSMNP section.

Sly
01-27-2007, 00:08
But it starts on Clingmans Dome.

Exactly.....

MedicineMan
01-27-2007, 00:33
seems like you would want to end on Clingmans dome and have that zugspitze??

grizzlyadam
01-27-2007, 14:26
I'm hiking the entire main route (approx. 943 miles)

in 4 1/2 to 6 weeks? that's quite a pace!

like tipi walter says, i know a pretty good deal about the mst. (i've hiked/biked all but 50ish miles of it)

let me know if i can answer any questions about it or help in any way....

The Solemates
01-27-2007, 16:34
keeping a journal phreak? i would love to read along...

Phreak
01-27-2007, 22:13
keeping a journal phreak? i would love to read along...

Yes, search for "Phreak" on Trailjournals.com

Belew
01-27-2007, 22:55
Phreak,
I'm close to the Hanging Rock area. I have a lot of weekend trips planned this year so I might not be around when you come through but if you need a ride or food or what ever let me know. I'll help if I'm in town, just email or call ahead.
Belew

Krewzer
01-28-2007, 00:30
[QUOTE=Phreak;310736]I'm postponing my BMT hike in favor of hiking the MST. If anyone is interested in hiking any or part of this trail, I'll be starting around March 3rd or 4th. I'm starting in TN and hiking East. Looking at 4.5 - 6 weeks for this trip.

QUOTE]

Hey Phreak, Good luck. PM me when you get close to the Outer Banks.
Krewzer

Lilred
01-28-2007, 00:37
This trail intrigues me and have wanted to do it since I heard about it. I'll be checking for your journal. Best of luck on your hike.

Johnny Swank
01-28-2007, 08:21
There's going to be a slideshow on the Jeff Brewer's MST thru-hike at The Garage in Winston Salem on February 8th at 7pm. I'm doing my AT SOBO thru-hike slideshow afterward as well. Great Outdoor Provision Company is putting this thing together as part of their adventure series.

Belew
01-28-2007, 10:07
Thanks for the info Johnny Swank. I'll try to make it to the shows.

Johnny Swank
01-28-2007, 10:12
Jeff's a good guy. He's on the MST board as well, and finished the JMT last fall. We worked together at a Scout camp way back when. I'm really looking forard to his show.

gollwoods
02-02-2007, 14:06
the road to clingmans may not yet be open in early March.

The Solemates
02-02-2007, 15:13
the road to clingmans may not yet be open in early March.

it wont be.