PDA

View Full Version : Attention Shuttle Drivers...and riders...

Miss Janet
07-15-2003, 15:00
I would like to get in touch with as many shuttle drivers along the Appalachian Trail as possible. I am interested in learning more about what kind, if any, regulations, rules, special liscence, insurance, etc... you are required to have in your area. WITHOUT using names or any identification unless you wish to. I am not trying to hurt anyone else just because my own shuttle business is being questioned. I am just looking for information. (I still have not been charged with anything... authorities continue to say that it is "pending". It appears that they are having a problem finding what law I have broken.)

I am also interested in hikers that use shuttle drivers... Do you look for any special liscence or accredidation(sp)? Do you take for granted that there ARE special requirements or do you think that most of your shuttle drivers are just trying to help hikers?

All information is for my own use and no names will be used.

email me privately at [email protected]

gravityman
07-15-2003, 16:10
I think the only time you have to have a special license is when you have something on the order of a 15 passenger van. Then you need a CDL license of some type. This will vary by state. I would suggest calling the local Driver's license office and asking the question. If someone was really picky they might try to classify you as a taxi... That just prompted me to search for a taxi license in tennessee and I found this site :
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driver.html

Basically, if you are taking money specificly for shuttling you should a For Hire designation on your license. Here's the reader's digest version :

Volunteers driving Class D vehicles also do not need this endorsement. To add the For Hire endorsement, drivers must meet the eligibility requirements, pass the appropriate tests, and pay a fee of $4.50.

So take a test, pay the $4.50, the UJ can leave this one alone!

Gravity Man

Miss Janet
07-15-2003, 16:19
I have the F endorsement and it hasn't stopped him...

Peaks
07-15-2003, 16:30
As I recall, the local taxi drivers stopped the Appalachian Inn in Millinocket from giving free shuttles to hikers going to the bus in Medway a few years ago. I'm not sure what the legal proceedings were.

Different states, different rules. But, Miss Janet isn't the first to get caught in a pissing contest over shuttle service.

TJ aka Teej
07-15-2003, 16:36
you have mail :O)

Lugnut
07-16-2003, 00:48
I think there is some special situation if you transport within a national forest; some sort of concessionaire lisense. I ran into that with a shuttle provider in Georgia.

trailangelmary
07-16-2003, 01:58
In Duncannon, PA there are several people that transport hikers to the grocery store or outfitters. Most do it out of their kindness because they understand that hikers need to resupply and would like to give their feet a break. Hikers can find these same people giving rides to hikers to slackpack,visit family or friends, etc. I know of one that asks for the "standard" $2.00 per mile. The rest do not ask for gas money. If it is offered some accept and some don't. No one has come into any "conflict" because anyone is checking for special licenses.

Presto
07-16-2003, 14:47
If I am paying cab fees, I do expect that someone is licensed. If it is free or mimimal cost, it is different, and I don't expect any licensure - I truly consider the rides on the AT from a friend. I may have only met them 10 seconds prior to the ride but there are no laws against giving a ride to a friend. On the trail, I am happy to call all the pleasant people helping me my friend. IMHO your services are similar to the latter - but I'm no lawyer. Since when is it agaist the law to give a ride to a friend even if he is paying for the gas.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me direct or keep posting threads here -we'd love to help.

smokymtnsteve
07-19-2003, 19:35

Lugnut
07-20-2003, 00:02
Hey Steve you're starting to type like Easy! :p

smokymtnsteve
07-22-2003, 12:16

Lugnut
07-22-2003, 13:27
Steve, My apologies. Sometimes levity rears it's ugly head before thinking. Didn't mean to offend you.

smokymtnsteve
07-22-2003, 16:21

Lugnut
07-22-2003, 19:44
Fair enough. In retrospect I think you may have just been flustered about another birthday! :banana

smokymtnsteve
07-22-2003, 20:41

Skyline
10-22-2003, 10:05
Up here in Shenandoah National Park, if you pickup or deliver WITHIN Park boundaries, you're supposed to have a permit (costs a couple hundred dollars/year) PLUS have a huge amount of liability insurance. Only one shuttle provider I know of has gone to this extreme, and it's not me. Actually he got busted in a sting by SNP's resident neb-***** a few years ago and was forced into it.

I typically provide short shuttles, usually for hikers already on the Trail who need a ride into Luray or back to the Trail from points nearby, so this doesn't often affect me. However, I don't charge a specific taxi-style fee but will take offerings for gas and time. I've never had a definitive answer as to how this Park policy would therefore apply to me. IMO it's more like giving a ride to a friend, but the Park might disagree.

I understand there are similar but not necessarily identical regs re: National FORESTS.

BRIAR
04-14-2004, 22:22
Have used a number of shuttles and never asked for a piece of paper--got their names from either ATC or Thru-Hiker and always had fine service --and great people.

Next question for you Miss Janet--I am looking for Sarge. We met in August atg the Bryant Ridge Shelter and talked of doing some hiking, but I blew a knee two days later and that ended that. Have not been able to locate him since. Got any idea of where he is?? I am back doing sections and will go again Friday.

Freighttrain
04-15-2004, 05:46
when i was shuttling in Tn-Va...i was never dimed out or pulled over so it never became an issue. we had structured fees for slackpack shuttles so i was prolly in the wrong... but hey ...there are no laws about giving rides to friends who pay 4 gas (donation)