PDA

View Full Version : Bad Heel looking for good orthopedic hiking boots.

hausfire
01-28-2007, 12:59
I broke my Heel bone (Calcaneus) a few years back. I am not going to let that stop me from enjoying this new venture.( Hiking ) I was wondering if anyone knows what hiking /Backpacking boot is best for poeple with orthopedic foot problems.

hausfire
01-28-2007, 13:00
[quote=hausfire;311459]I broke my Heel bone (Calcaneus) a few years back. I am not going to let that stop me from enjoying this new venture.( Hiking ) I was wondering if anyone knows what hiking /Backpacking boot is best for Hikers with orthopedic foot problems.

Lilred
01-28-2007, 13:16
Try getting a fitted orthopedic insole for whichever boots you choose. I have plantar fascitis and I got the insoles. They've worked great. Find the kind that are heated and molded to your foot. I paid $90 and it's been worth it.

highway
01-28-2007, 13:33
Footwear is still awfully subjective. There is no perfect pair.

Both mine were messed up. I had rather more damage than that with my left heel as well as a fair amount with the right foot and have run the gamut of footwear. I found that I require something with cushion for my feet to be comfortaBLE for multiple miles and I simply cannot tolerate harder inserts or foot beds. Regrettably, those make up a fair percentage of shoes. I must go with stability plus as well as cushion. I prefer trail runners or sandals. Curiously, I have found that the more I walk on my damaged feet, the better they feel. It seems the increased foot and ankle movement, for me at least, makes them limber, losing the arthritic type stiffness and soreness from the injury and they hurt considerably less daily (particularly those first steps in the A.M.). But they MUST be cradled in cushioned comfort on a soft footbed, or my foot pain begins to be unbearable after a few miles and i become almost hobbled with pain.

Good luck. See what is best for you

oldfivetango
01-28-2007, 15:58
If you go out to www.footsmart.com (http://www.footsmart.com) you will find all sorts of
interesting foot pain related products.I can't live without the orthodics
myself.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Egads
10-31-2009, 05:46
I ordered custom orthopedics that were foam molded to my feet thru a chiropractic. It was one of the best gear decisions I made. Cost more that the DYS heat molded insoles, but they are molded exactly to the shape of my feet.

Dirigo
10-31-2009, 08:14
I was fit for custom insole at the foot dr's office, they worked for a short time, but as i hiked they broke down and my feet started getting worse. The doctor told me to lose some weight, which i have done, and I needed surgery. No surgery for me.
I went to a chiropractor and he has done wonders for my feet. He fitted me with Vasyli insoles, and I love them. Can say that my feet don't hurt sometimes, but not like they use to. When my hips are out of line the planters acts up and the ankle/heel is in pain so once the hips and legs/feet are adjusted, my feet are better. I also do exercises to help the morning pain.

dirigo

Lilred
11-01-2009, 10:07
I was fit for custom insole at the foot dr's office, they worked for a short time, but as i hiked they broke down and my feet started getting worse. The doctor told me to lose some weight, which i have done, and I needed surgery. No surgery for me.
I went to a chiropractor and he has done wonders for my feet. He fitted me with Vasyli insoles, and I love them. Can say that my feet don't hurt sometimes, but not like they use to. When my hips are out of line the planters acts up and the ankle/heel is in pain so once the hips and legs/feet are adjusted, my feet are better. I also do exercises to help the morning pain.

dirigo

If you want relief from plantar fascitis, wear Crocs. Not a rip off brand, real Crocs. They work miracles.

Egads
11-01-2009, 10:19
I was fit for custom insole at the foot dr's office, they worked for a short time, but as i hiked they broke down and my feet started getting worse. dirigo

Doc shoulda ordered carbon fiber for extreme use. Inserts last for years, but you need to send them back to have new pads glued on every couple.

slugger
12-07-2009, 14:16
I just got a pair of orthopedics but they are hard plastic with no padding. I don't think i will be able to hike in them... :rolleyes: