PDA

View Full Version : Section va Thru-hike

HikingFool
01-28-2007, 14:57
I have a question that is mainly just because I'm curious.

If someone is on a thru-hike how many off days away from the trail would it take before it became a section hike?

hammock engineer
01-28-2007, 15:35

Actually I am going to have to say it is a personal decision. To me the definition of a thru hike is a personal one.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2007, 15:38
a through-hike is going from one end to another with no days off. hence the word through. take a day off then you've broken the continuity. it's just a bunch of section hikes thrown together then.:)

emerald
01-28-2007, 15:43
The kind of question you asked gets asked here often and is debated endlessly. When all is said and done, what's been posted is a bunch of of opinions. There is really no answer as to what seperates thru-hikes from section-hikes.

That's part of why the term 2000 miler makes so much sense to me.

By the way, :welcome to WhiteBlaze.net!:)

rafe
01-28-2007, 15:45
something about doing it in a year...

neo
01-28-2007, 15:49
a through-hike is going from one end to another with no days off. hence the word through. take a day off then you've broken the continuity. it's just a bunch of section hikes thrown together then.:)

:D dont pay no attention to lonewolf,he is trying to steal my girl hillary:cool: neo

SawnieRobertson
01-28-2007, 15:50
It's an opinion only, but my take, uninfluenced by the likes of certain fellers, is a matter of intention. Take it from there.--Kinnickinic

emerald
01-28-2007, 15:54
something about doing it in a year...

What about the NOBOs we're now reading about here who began last year? Perhaps I'm wrong to conclude you mean a calendar year?:D

What if someone skips hiking in the summer months, because he doesn't like hiking in the heat? Does that constitute 2 section hikes?:rolleyes:

Ya'll argue about it and have fun. I'm going to work!;)

Jaybird
01-28-2007, 15:55
:D dont pay no attention to lonewolf,he is trying to steal my girl hillary:cool: neo

Hey NEO!

good to finally meet U in person @ the Nashville-WhiteBlaze Get-together!
i willbe posting some photos very soon.

as per the question....i have to agree w/ WOLF...which means that most hikers are section-hikers!:D

Lone Wolf
01-28-2007, 16:00

i wouldn't fornicate her with your penis:cool: wolf

FanaticFringer
01-28-2007, 16:36
Hitlary Clinton as President. Dig your bunkers immediately.:eek:

emerald
01-28-2007, 17:19
A through-hike is going from one end to another with no days off, hence the word through. Take a day off then you've broken the continuity. It's just a bunch of section hikes thrown together then.:)

Wolf, you've almost got it! I would add a through (or thru)-hike is going from one end to another without stopping, no days off, no camping and no sleeping. A continuous hike indeed, now we've got it!;)

Everything else is a section hike and we're in reality all section-hikers, no one any better than anyone else.

REBELYELL
01-28-2007, 21:41
I always have thought if the AT is HIKED, end to end ,within a year,purists credit it as a thru.I'd like to say, if you are satisfied that you did,even though you did take a break, thats all the cred thats needed.I'm no purist by any means,just my opinion.

Programbo
01-28-2007, 22:13
I agree that you`ll get 1,000 different answers so I will throw in my 2 cents....I think as long as you finish the whole trail from end to end within one calendar year you would have a "Thru-Hike" regardless of the number of days off..If you take it into another year(s) you have hiked the entire trail and are a 2,000 Miler but not a "thru-hiker"

emerald
01-29-2007, 00:02
I agree that you`ll get 1,000 different answers so I will throw in my 2 cents....I think as long as you finish the whole trail from end to end within one calendar year you would have a "Thru-Hike" regardless of the number of days off..If you take it into another year(s) you have hiked the entire trail and are a 2,000 Miler but not a "thru-hiker"

What about skipping hiking in the summer as I suggested above.;) :-?I can hear it now: "That hypothetical hiker skipped the hard part! He's no thru-hiker. He's just a section hiker.":D

rafe
01-29-2007, 00:06
What about skipping hiking in the summer as I suggested above.;)

Works for me. Given a choice, I hike in late summer and early fall. Usually by mid-August it's starting to cool a bit in New England. Nice time to hike.

emerald
01-29-2007, 00:14
Works for me. Given a choice, I hike in late summer and early fall. Usually by mid-August it's starting to cool a bit in New England. Nice time to hike.

By mid-August, it's just starting to get hot and dry in the middle states. I expect you'd probably like this hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116), but some people would have you believe it's not a thru-hike.

rafe
01-29-2007, 00:43
By mid-August, it's just starting to get hot and dry in the middle states.

OK, let's get specific. You've got, say, six weeks to walk 600 miles from Lehigh Gap down to south/central VA. What are the ideal dates? My plan is to start 8/15, and walk thru September. Or I could walk from 8/1 thru mid-Sept. Comments?

emerald
01-29-2007, 01:05
OK, let's get specific. You've got, say, six weeks to walk 600 miles from Lehigh Gap down to south/central VA. What are the ideal dates? My plan is to start 8/15, and walk thru September. Or I could walk from 8/1 thru mid-Sept. Comments?

I hope you are not allergic to ragweed pollen!

It's all summer and varies from year-to-year as to what period would be better, but, rather than flip a coin, if I had to choose, I'd opt for the later period and hope for rain.

At that time of the year, it would be thunderstorms late in the day. That would serve to cool things off somewhat and perhaps recharge the springs.

You should practice what c.coyle referred to as 10 before 10 in a thread some time ago. Get most of your miles in before 11 and find a place to spend the warmer portion of the day in the shade when the sun is high in the sky. Hike again after 3 or even 5 in the evening when it's cooler. Those times are the best to observe wildlife anyway.

At that time of the year, you will almost certainly see rattlesnakes, but if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

What else do you want to know? PM me for more.

Blue Jay
01-29-2007, 03:24

Actually I am going to have to say it is a personal decision. To me the definition of a thru hike is a personal one.

No, 42 is the meaning of life, but I love the philosophy behind your answer. To ask this question displays a complete lack of awareness about thruhiking.
Time has no meaning on the AT.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2007, 03:51
By mid-August, it's just starting to get hot and dry in the middle states. I expect you'd probably like this hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116), but some people would have you believe it's not a thru-hike.

Or a "cooler hike" like the one at the bottom of this page: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

Not traditional, but its a great itinerary. Easier start, better weather, less crowds.

Sly
01-29-2007, 05:42

Two scenarios... one guy, hikes 5-6 miles a day without talking any considerable time off, finishes in just over 1 year. Another hikes for 2 months takes 6 off and hikes another 2 to finish the trail

Now tell me who's the thru-hiker? :-?

Marta
01-29-2007, 07:30
To ask this question displays a complete lack of awareness about thruhiking.

The make this answer displays a complete lack of understanding of how crucial it is to get one, definitive, universally-applicable, inviolable definition of "thru-hiker" and "thru-hike" so we can cast out (or at least laugh at) those who have failed. :D

I suggest organizing a governing body, the UFH (pronounced "Oof"), which is French for "Hikers' Union." (Unfortunately I don't know the French word for "Hiker" and am too lazy to look it up.)

This governing body (of which I will offer to be the highly-compensated director) can set the standards for:

Pack weight
Footwear
Sleeping options
Hike direction (All hikers will, in the future, be going SOBO if they want their hike to be recognized by UFH.)

Drug testing will be implemented immediately.

And much, much more...

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2007, 08:29
(Unfortunately I don't know the French word for "Hiker" and am too lazy to look it up.)

What is "Personne avec le pac du bac."

Can I have rude people for $800 Alex?

emerald
01-29-2007, 16:30
Or a "cooler hike" like the one at the bottom of this page: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

Not traditional, but its a great itinerary. Easier start, better weather, less crowds.

Wasn't sure to which hike you were referring until I checked it out. That might be the :cool:est hike on the page, but I'm not sure it would be my preference.;)

I :-? it's a shame more people don't consider some of these alternative itineraries. I doubt I'll hike the A.T. again, but I'd probably piece together sections over several years or choose a hike with an alternative itinerary if I desired to finish in a calendar year.

emerald
01-29-2007, 16:36
Two scenarios... one guy, hikes 5-6 miles a day without talking any considerable time off, finishes in just over 1 year. Another hikes for 2 months takes 6 off and hikes another 2 to finish the trail

Now tell me who's the thru-hiker? :-?

Don't know, but they're both through hiking, aren't they? That's probably what matters to them. It would please me to learn both reached their goal.:)

Programbo, we're waiting for your answer!

Lilred
01-29-2007, 16:46
Drug testing will be implemented immediately.

And much, much more...

What kind of drugs and where do I sign up to test them>>>>?? ;) :p

Marta
01-29-2007, 20:46
What kind of drugs and where do I sign up to test them>>>>?? ;) :p

Beer is my favorite. Any shelter will do.:D

Programbo
01-29-2007, 22:03
Two scenarios... one guy, hikes 5-6 miles a day without talking any considerable time off, finishes in just over 1 year. Another hikes for 2 months takes 6 off and hikes another 2 to finish the trail......Now tell me who's the thru-hiker? :-?

I`d give them both the title...The first even though he went into another year his hike never really stopped so we`ll give him a break..The second since he did do it in one year.....Now if the second guy hiked 2 months in say fall of 2005 then went back 6 months later in late spring of 2006 I`d have to reject him :p

Grampie
01-31-2007, 17:04
I`d give them both the title...The first even though he went into another year his hike never really stopped so we`ll give him a break..The second since he did do it in one year.....Now if the second guy hiked 2 months in say fall of 2005 then went back 6 months later in late spring of 2006 I`d have to reject him :p

I guess I'm rejected too. Hiked 168 miles, took off 342 days and than hiked 2000 miles. I call it a AT hike and that's all.:)

maxNcathy
01-31-2007, 18:17
To my mind a hiker is not a tru hiker until he hikes and he is not a thru hiker until he has reached his goal and is through hiking.If he reaches his goal and turns right round and hikes all the way back to where he first started then that renders the hike null and void.

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 18:24
I call myself a thru hiker but it was not a pure thru hike..
I slackpacked and flipfloped.. all I can claim is that I hiked the whole trail in a year...

emerald
01-31-2007, 20:50
[I hiked] 168 miles, took off 342 days and then hiked 2000 miles. I call it an AT hike and that's all.:)

Are you describing a hike from Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam followed by another from Fontana Dam to Baxter Peak? That might make you a 2000 Miler. My name is on ATC's list of 2000 Milers and I will continue to make that claim.

I've decided to refer to what I once did henceforth as an A.T. hike too. I'm completely dropping any claims to having thru-hiked the A.T. as that doesn't seem to have any shared meaning within this group whatsoever.:confused: I don't want to explain exactly what I mean each time I use the term.

emerald
01-31-2007, 20:58
I call myself a thru hiker but it was not a pure thru hike..
I slackpacked and flipfloped.. all I can claim is that I hiked the whole trail in a year...

Didn't know supported hikes and alternative itineraries are impurities.:-? Thanks for pointing that out. Surely we're all now on the path to a deeper understanding.

You might want to call to ATC's attention that they misuse the term thru-hike.;)