PDA

View Full Version : Homemade white gas stoves?

Froggy
01-28-2007, 21:00
Has anyone successfully made one? I'm thinking of something along the lines of an alcohol stove, but designed for white gas instead

rafe
01-28-2007, 21:01
It's a whole different gig. Good luck. Let us know when you come up with the better Svea or Whisperlite. I'd probably buy one.

Skidsteer
01-28-2007, 21:29
This stove (http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/or_2004wrap_1.html) should be of interest to you, Froggy.

rafe
01-28-2007, 21:31
This stove (http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/or_2004wrap_1.html) should be of interest to you, Froggy.

That was from a 2004 article. Doesn't look like it ever happened.

Skidsteer
01-28-2007, 21:41
That was from a 2004 article. Doesn't like like it every happened.

Interesting idea, though, right?

Capillary action in a series of ceramic disks. I hope no stovies blow themselves up setting fire to a drink coaster.

rafe
01-28-2007, 21:47
That MSR proto was still a pound. A light, white-gas stove would be a great thing, if it could be done. But it has to be user-refillable -- proprietary fuel cartriges don't cut it, IMO.

nutlub
01-28-2007, 22:54
BE CAREFUL!!

White Gas is super explosive....I thought is was equivalent to charcoal lighter fluid so I once used white gas to start a fire....Yikes!!! :eek:

:dance <--That's me running around with my eyebrows on fire!!!

Watch out cuz one a scale of 1 to 10...Alchahol is like a 2 and White gas is a 9!!!!

rafe
01-28-2007, 22:57
What nutlub said. Seriously.

Tipi Walter
01-28-2007, 23:06
Can anyone say "Molotov Cocktail"?

Critterman
01-28-2007, 23:13
That was from a 2004 article. Doesn't look like it ever happened.
The MSR site says it will be available April 2007

rafe
01-28-2007, 23:18
The MSR site says it will be available April 2007

Different animal. The "Reactor" is MSR's answer to the Jetboil. Has been discussed already here on WB. It runs on canisters.

oldcoot
01-29-2007, 12:58
I have several old stoves in my collection from days gone by that fit into a group called "coil burners". These burn just about anything, but excell at pump gas and coleman/white gas. Even saw a post from a fellow on another forum who is having great success building them to use butane canisters. Try a Google on "classic camp stoves" or "spirit burners" Should yield a site dedicated to all stoves old and neat then look for Stesco, Handy camper, Lil injun scout, even the old Borde bomb. Should find some ideas/inspiration to get you going. Good luck, invent/reinvent something that we all can use and make sure to sell me one of the first ones.

atraildreamer
01-29-2007, 13:58
Update your will and get your affairs in order before striking match...:eek:

oldcoot
01-29-2007, 14:35
Had a chance to find the website, www.spiritburner.com (http://www.spiritburner.com) . Despite the jokes about wills and such, coil burners led the way to todays stoves and are as safe as any gas burners out there today. Look at the preheat loop on your whisperlight, it is the coil of the old coilburners. Simplify and lighten the stove by doing away with the needle and jet (Just a simple hole anyway like on the earlier non-shakerjet whisperlights or precleaning needle sveas) and you have it. Lighter, simpler, no moving parts. The one I like best is a tiny little one by Soll called the "Montagnino" made pre WII that fits inside a coke can. I forsee a budding stovemaker doing a brasslite type build-up with a coil, and having a stove that is capable of burning just about any liquid fuel. In fact the ominusly named "Borde bomb" is still being made today, one at a time by hand and is currently being sold in the $100.00-$120.00 range if you can get one of the limited number built each year (see ebay, your best chance). Just because it doesn't have lots of nifty pieces and moving parts doesn't mean it don't work. Otherwise the pepsi can stove and old guys like me would be out of a job. My two cents worth anyway.

IdahoDavid
01-31-2007, 16:10
I have considered developing a stove to use white gas or lighter fluid and even did a couple of prototypes. The main problem is getting the vaporization you need to get a clean, hot burn. I suspect a major roadblock is that the tubing or other mechanics needed to do this is beyond the skills of most home tinkerers and also adds enough weight to the stove to eliminate any advantage.

My other concern is fuel storage on the trail. If my alcohol bottle leaks in my pack or on my clothes a simple airing quickly evaporates the liquid. If you leak oil or white gas it's there for a long time.