PDA

View Full Version : A different approach trail question

VictoriaM
01-28-2007, 22:13
I've seen tons of opinions on doing he approach trail (or not), but still haven't made up my mind. I was leaning toward doing it, but if it's going to leave me exhausted and disheartened just in time to start the trail the next day, maybe it's not such a good idea. Then again, it's possible I might not get another chance at it.

So, some simple questions to help me consider all the angles: At the start of your thru, did you do the appraoch trail or not? Were you happy with your decision, or do you regret it now? Why?

rafe
01-28-2007, 22:18
Hehe. C'mon now. Buck up, Victoria. If the approach trail is going to leave you disheartened, what are the next 2175 miles going to do? I enjoyed it, but I did start from the campground, above the falls. It took most of the day (to get to Stover Creek shelter) but it was a good day.

OTOH, I had so much adrenaline me that I could have been strolling barefoot over glowing coals in Hades and still thought I was in paradise. No really, it was a good day. No regrets.

Sly
01-28-2007, 22:31
I started from FS42 twice and had been to Springer a dozen times before I finally hiked it over New Years. It's a nice trail and not all that difficult. If I were to hike the trail again, I'd do the Approach Trail. I suggest you stay at the BlackGap Shelter. It's 1.5 miles south of Springer and would make for an easy hike to Hawk Mountain Shelter the following day.

hammock engineer
01-28-2007, 22:38
Hehe. C'mon now. Buck up, Victoria. If the approach trail is going to leave you disheartened, what are the next 2175 miles going to do? I enjoyed it, but I did start from the campground, above the falls. It took most of the day (to get to Stover Creek shelter) but it was a good day.

OTOH, I had so much adrenaline me that I could have been strolling barefoot over glowing coals in Hades and still thought I was in paradise. No really, it was a good day. No regrets.

That's kind of my opinion on the matter. It is 8 or 9 miles of a 2100 mile trip. If that gets someone discouraged and they stop their hike because of it, they probibly won't made it all the way anyways.

Having said that. I really don't see the reason everyone is always arguing about this.

rafe
01-28-2007, 22:39
I really don't see the reason everyone is always arguing about this.

Agreed. But it's not an argument.... yet.

hammock engineer
01-28-2007, 22:50
Agreed. But it's not an argument.... yet.

It will be. This ranks up there with wingfoot, alcohol/white gas, wingfoot, and maps.

Blissful
01-28-2007, 23:23
It will be. This ranks up there with wingfoot, alcohol/white gas, wingfoot, and maps.

You forgot dogs... :)

I wasn't going to do the approach trail but another thread "talked" me out of it. As was said, if I can't handle the approach trail, how am I going to handle some of those 5,000 footers coming up? Besides, doing it gets me going on my trail legs early.

Besides, after doing some shakedowns in the Whites, nothing can be as hard as that....

SalParadise
01-28-2007, 23:26
I'd be all for the ATC making that arch the official starting/ending point of the Trail. but that said, until they start painting those blazes white.....

emerald
01-28-2007, 23:32
VictoriaM, as I recall, the approach trail is no more difficult than anything that comes immediately after it. Amicalola Falls are worth seeing and Amicalola Falls State Park might be a better place for your family or friends to see you off. :-? I'm not so sure it really matters what you choose, but you'll need to decide and the choice is up to you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a wonderful journey and memories that last a lifetime!:)

Spirit Walker
01-28-2007, 23:35
I did the approach trail on both my AT hikes, simply because the taxi drivers weren't willing to drive to FR 42. I just looked at it as the beginning of my hike. My hike began when I exited the car, not when I reached springer. Just as my hike ended when I walked back down to Katahdin Stream, not when I touched the sign on top of Katahdin. It is a fairly strenuous hike, but no worse than what follows. It's just part of the AT - a good introduction. OTOH, it's not an essential part of the experience. If you can easily get a ride up the mountain - okay. If not, go to Amicalola, admire the falls, and then start hiking. It's all good.

VictoriaM
01-28-2007, 23:38
It's not that I don't think I can handle it or would quit. I know neither of those will be true. It's just hard to tell what that trail is really like, and if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true) I'm sure it would tire me out. I'm just not sure if that's the foot I'd want to start the actual thru-hike on, or if I'd rather start fresh. I suppose it might all depend on who's staying at the hiker hostel with me, and whether they'll be doing the approach. I'm definitely open to doing whatever feels right at the time, I'm just the type to think ahead, too.

emerald
01-28-2007, 23:40
Spiritwalker and VictoriaM,

FWIW, I seem to recollect referring to my hike afterwards as from Amicalola Falls to Roaring Brook.

emerald
01-28-2007, 23:43
I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true.

That person was yanking your chain VictoriaM, please refer to post #9 above.

Frosty
01-28-2007, 23:56
if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true) It's not. It's steep up to the lodge, but you can sit down and have a coke. After that it's a walk in the woods. Spending the night at Springer is exciting because everyone is ramped up about the upcoming hike.

People always talk about the Approach Trail and Blood Mountain, but I didn't find either especially hard. I thought Kelly Knob was the toughest climg in GA, with Sassafras Mtn a close second (Sass-a-fras will kick your ass, and there's Justus in the end).

rafe
01-29-2007, 00:02
I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true.

It's not, by a longshot (from the AFSP campground, anyway.) On a scale of 1 to 10, most of it is a 3. The final ascent of Springer is a 6. Maybe.

Mountain Man
01-29-2007, 00:28
Victoria, It's like the others have said, the Approach Trail ain't near as bad as people make it out to be. I'm over the trail Maintainace for the Approach Trail and have traveled it many many times and like someone else said the hardest thing in Georgia is Kelly Knob with Sassafras coming in a close second. (IMHO) And they are not that bad. A good or different alternative to doing the whole Approach Trail is starting at the top of the Falls and taking the Hike Inn trail and connecting to the Approach Trail north of Frost Mt. It's a little easier and plus you can stop in and check out the Hike Inn and get some Coffe or Lemonade and a snack. Then continue on to Springer. If you decide to do that and you start before Feb. 16 stop in and say hello. The 16th is my last day at work there and I'll start out from Amicalola on the 20th of Feb. Attempting a Thru Hike also. Good Luck and maybe I'll see ya out there.

Whistler
01-29-2007, 01:03
I didn't do it back in 2005, because I'd done it a dozen or so times already. I probably will this year, just because it's a shorter, quicker drive the Amicalola and I can get started earlier in the morning.

I suspect that you'll be happy either way.
-Mark

bfitz
01-29-2007, 01:52
It's harder than what comes just after, but no harder than lots and lots of other days. The worst part is that it puts another day between day one and Neel's gap, which which is a welcome respite to the weary thru-bie and really belongs on day 3 IMO. But in the end what's one more day? I heard all sorts of stories about that first day and night and the friendships that began there. Whatever you decide, it was meant to be...

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 09:54
It's not that I don't think I can handle it or would quit. I know neither of those will be true. It's just hard to tell what that trail is really like, and if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true) I'm sure it would tire me out. I'm just not sure if that's the foot I'd want to start the actual thru-hike on, or if I'd rather start fresh. I suppose it might all depend on who's staying at the hiker hostel with me, and whether they'll be doing the approach. I'm definitely open to doing whatever feels right at the time, I'm just the type to think ahead, too.

if you have a ride to FS42, take it. if not, get dropped off at the lodge, eat the buffet and start your hike. the approach trail is not difficult at all except maybe if you're extremely overweight, your pack weighs 80 lbs. and you never exercised prior to hiking. the approach trail is way overrated as far as difficulty.

neo
01-29-2007, 09:56
I've seen tons of opinions on doing he approach trail (or not), but still haven't made up my mind. I was leaning toward doing it, but if it's going to leave me exhausted and disheartened just in time to start the trail the next day, maybe it's not such a good idea. Then again, it's possible I might not get another chance at it.

So, some simple questions to help me consider all the angles: At the start of your thru, did you do the appraoch trail or not? Were you happy with your decision, or do you regret it now? Why?

:D i did the georgia section southbound and i was parked at amicola falls
so the approach trail was the departure trail for me:cool: neo

DavidNH
01-29-2007, 09:59
Victoria,

Do the approach trail. It really is not all that bad, reasonably gentle after the top of the falls. When I thru'd (is that a word??) I was driven to the top of the falls and hiked from there. The trail is a bit of a test for the AT.

And on the subject of getting exhausted and disheartned, once you get on the AT proper, while it is easy for a few miles, most of the Georgia AT is as hard or harder than the approach trail. So if the approach trail is too tough, just wait till you see what awaits on the Appalachian Trail. You get 5-6 months of tough. But if you can make it past the smokies and into Virginia, you should be in good shape (good to go as it where) as by then you will be conditioned.

Don't get too worried about being in shape at the very start. Take it slow and the trail will condition you. It really does!

DavidNH

Tinker
01-29-2007, 10:57
Victoria: The Approach Trail from AFSP is fairly difficult, imo. Frosty and I did it last spring. I pushed a bit, though, and we started a bit late in the day on March 7, I think. I was also out of shape from a winter of relative inactivity, and did not intend to do a thru, just the Ga. section. I also had enough food to do the entire Ga. Trail if I decided to go ahead without Frosty. As it was, I started out with a 37 lb. pack on top of my 212 lb. self. (Happily, I'm down under 210 as of today).
I think we started out from the Visitor Center at AFSP at around 10:00, and got to Springer with enough time to set up camp, cook dinner, and mingle a bit before darkness set in. I don't have my journal handy, as I'm in a temporary living situation and am looking for an apartment. That's also why I've been absent from the forums since around Thanksgiving. I am using a library computer to type this.
I've always considered the Approach Trail to be an integral part to the AT, though it is, admittedly, unofficial. I think that if I did a thru, I'd still begin at the Approach Trail, which, interestingly, is also "AT".
Whatever you decide, make sure that you really do hike your hike. There are many people and circumstances which will try to pull you into another way, but you have to decide whether these influences will add to, or subtract from your hike.
God bless you on your journey.

Krewzer
01-29-2007, 11:07

VictoriaM, "Good Luck" and "Happy Trails".

Yes, I did the approach trail. Actually I'd done the approach trail several times before I started my thru-hike and once since then. And, I've been dropped at many a road crossing on the AT.

The appoach trail didn't really matter in the grand scheme of hiking all the way to Katahdin. Do what you like, but the "approach trail" is pretty special for me.

It sounds a bit hokey, but it's like a secret passage to a special place. I like the thought of the AT being away from cars, trucks and all noisy things as much as possible. I get a special feeling leaving behind brake lights, souvenier shops, restaraunts, center lines, stop signs, blacktop and putting miles, and hours, between me and "them." And when I've separated myself from this politico/techno world and have entered a different realm, I reach my destination, the AT.

It's my own little illusion, but these eight or so miles do it for me.

Ender
01-29-2007, 13:59
I did the approach trail and don't regret it at all. Heck, it's one more day I got to spend in the woods.

It was hard, but not terrible... mainly I was just out of shape at the time. One nice thing about it though was that it made the next day seem that much easier.

I say, if you have the chance, take the approach trail. It's a nice walk, and you spend more time outdoors. That's just me though.

max patch
01-29-2007, 14:46
First, the approach trail isn't hard. It used to be harder years ago, but several relos have moved the trail around mountains rather than going over the top.

Your decision may rest on how you are getting to the trail. Getting to Springer involves using an excellent FS road for 6.6 miles. Still, if you have elderly parents droppping you off you not feel comfortable with having them drive on a dirt road. Starting at AFSP is all pavement. Picnic tables and restrooms are available. It may be more convenient for your ride to drop you off here and have a last meal together.

Being a GA resident for 30 years I've hiked the approach trail numerous times. On my thru I hiked "half" the approach trail as that drop off spot was the most convenient for my ride to get to.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 14:58
VictoriaM,
Arrive at the lodge around 3pm and get a room as cheap as you can. Walk down to the Ranger Station without your pack and climb the falls section. Stay in your room overnight, eat at the AYCE buffet in the morning and start the approach trail at the top of the falls where you stopped yesterday.

I didn't do the approach trail in 1990 because of all the hype.
I decided to do it in 2002 just because I felt as though I missed something. After doing a previous thru, I thought that the approach trail was nothing. Yes it can be difficult when you're out of shape and your pack is too heavy but it is not a difficult climb by any means. By slacking the falls you can still be "pure" to the AT( if that is what you are looking for) since that is not the AT. DO IT ALL AND HAVE FUN!!!!.
geek

weary
01-29-2007, 15:02
14 years later I can't think of any truly difficult sections of the AT. It's strange how memory wipes out the bad and remembers the good. I had never heard of the Forest road while planning my '93 walk, so I calculated all my mileage notes from Amicalola state Park.

Anyway, I left from the park office and found the walk to the summit of Springer just another pretty trail, especially fascinating because it was my first look at the southern Appalachians, aside from a June hike from Roan Mountain to Route 19 a few years earlier.

Weary

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 15:04
VictoriaM,
Arrive at the lodge around 3pm and get a room as cheap as you can. Walk down to the Ranger Station without your pack and climb the falls section. Stay in your room overnight, eat at the AYCE buffet in the morning and start the approach trail at the top of the falls where you stopped yesterday.

That's what I'm talkin'.:D I'm gonna do that this year except I'm getting dropped off in front of the lodge but ain't doing the first mile. Eat the dinner buffet and breakfast buffet. March 21st. Anyone wanna join me?

GlazeDog
01-29-2007, 15:09
I did the approach trail with my dad who has a pace maker--he couldn't have been there to start off my first .9 miles back to the forest road if he had to hike the big approach trail. I was happy with my decision.

The trail starts on Springer, not anywhere else---(for now).

It's so nice to see this conversation happening without maddening totalitarian cencorship you might see somewhere else.

happy trails--
GlazeDog

TurkeyBacon
01-29-2007, 15:15
I read something similar to this on Trailplace before I hiked and liked the idea. If you have to hike Katahdin from the bottom, then out of respect for Springer Mt it should be hiked from the bottom as well. It kind of follows the idea that you don't "summit" a mountain unless you start from the bottom.
Oh yah... The approach trail does not give you a good few of the Falls. Go ahead and hike the extra half mile to the base of the falls to get a good view and then start the approach trail.
But if thats not important to you, then do what you like...
TB

the_iceman
01-29-2007, 18:54
My orignal plan was to do the approach trail. My daighter will be joining me until Neel's Gap. Now I am delayed a month and my daighter's Easter break is really short. We need to fly her into Atlanta rahter than home and we just may not have time to do the approach trial. We may slack pack it SoBo if we get in early enough the day before.

If time was not a factor - what a silly way to have to start - then YES, I would do the approach trail.

Lilred
01-29-2007, 19:12
That's what I'm talkin'.:D I'm gonna do that this year except I'm getting dropped off in front of the lodge but ain't doing the first mile. Eat the dinner buffet and breakfast buffet. March 21st. Anyone wanna join me?

Wish I could Wolf, my break starts March 30th. I've been wondering where to hike and this sounds like a great option. So much trail, so little time........

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 19:14
Wish I could Wolf, my break starts March 30th. I've been wondering where to hike and this sounds like a great option. So much trail, so little time........

plan is to meet circuit rider and sherlock on the 22nd and hike with them for a spell

Frosty
01-29-2007, 19:36
Victoria: The Approach Trail from AFSP is fairly difficult, imo. Frosty and I did it last spring. I pushed a bit, though, and we started a bit late in the day on March 7, I think. I was also out of shape from a winter of relative inactivity, and did not intend to do a thru, just the Ga. section. I also had enough food to do the entire Ga. Trail if I decided to go ahead without Frosty. As it was, I started out with a 37 lb. pack on top of my 212 lb. self. (Happily, I'm down under 210 as of today).Hey, Tinker! My pack was on top of my 240 lb. self. Unhappily, I'm 275 today. (Where is Youngblood's weight losing thread when you need it?)

But yeah, wasn't it nice camping on Springer? I have the most vivid memories of that shelter. Remember U-Haul? His three pads, two tents and two sleeping bags?

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 19:55
Unhappily, I'm 275 today.

You're 275?!? Happy frickin' birthday!

I did the approach trail in December the year before my hike. Having done so, I didn't feel the need to be on it again. The funny thing is, I somehow managed to get completely lost on the forest road and it took me forever to find the trail, which says way more about me than it does about the road.

As mentioned above, the perceived difficulty probably comes from how out o' shape most are on the first day.

Either way you decide, I doubt you'll really care when you're standing on Katahdin.

scope
01-29-2007, 20:44
If I was going to be away from family for a while, I think I'd have them follow me up to the Hike Inn, enjoy a 'last meal' with their company, and make that my 'real' starting point.

Socrates
01-29-2007, 21:20
I'm doing the approach trail just because it's there... Avoiding difficulty that early in the game just doesn't sound like a promising start to a thru... And maybe it gets talked about so much because some hikers didn't practice that much or at all before they left? If you're not in shape, of course you're going to start out thinking "Man this is hard!"

hopefulhiker
01-29-2007, 22:31
I did visit Amicalola falls to sign in, but skipped the approach trail. I don't regret it but someday I may go back and hike that part just for fun.

Pong
01-29-2007, 22:54
I'm glad to read the various posts on the approach trail question. I won't be hiking all the way, but starting out with a friend who will be going as far as she can for 4 months. I expect to hike up to Fontana (and maybe a bit more if we hike strong). My friend wants to do the approach trail, so we will (as it's really HER hike). However, I am curious about the difficulty of the approach as well as Georgia in general. I live and hike in northern NH so my reference for all hiking difficulty is Mahoosuc Arm. Any of the thrus remember that? How does the approach trail and Georgia in general compare with the Arm? thanks. Pong

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 22:55
a walk in the park. easy

The General
01-29-2007, 23:04
It's Just another day on the Trail, so enjoy it many people can't and many more never will.

Mountain Maiden
01-29-2007, 23:16
It's Just another day on the Trail, so enjoy it many people can't and many more never will.

And, some may enjoy it more times than others, right???:D ;) <WINK>

Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora :sun

Sleepy the Arab
01-30-2007, 01:21
I've started four times, and I've done the approach trail four times. No regrets there. I like it, and I like hiking, even if it isn't the AT.

Krewzer
01-30-2007, 01:37

May see you up there. Once again trying to get on the MacKaye on about 21st or 22nd.

Lyle
01-30-2007, 12:58

I haven't thru-hiked yet, but I think I have enough experience to know that as long as you know a section will be tough, the reality of actually hiking it isn't so bad. In other words, anticipation is usually worse than the actual event. I think in the scope of a 2000+ mile trip, it would be a shame to skip a very notorious 7 mile stretch out of fear. I'm positive I would personally regret it. My $0.02 worth.

rafe
01-30-2007, 13:15
... it would be a shame to skip a very notorious 7 mile stretch out of fear.

Good thing I had no idea it was "notorious" before I walked it. Didn't strike me that way (ie., as "notorious") but what the hey. It struck me as a nice little warm-up. Quite literally, a walk in the woods.

Lyle
01-30-2007, 15:02
According to the Oxford American Dictionary:
notoruous adj. well known, especially in an unfavorable way.

If it weren't notorious, then we wouldn't be discussing avoiding it would we? :-)

Lyle
01-30-2007, 15:03
I did look up notorious, notoruous - my bad.;)

bfitz
01-30-2007, 15:10
no, tortuous.

gold bond
01-30-2007, 15:13
I did the approach trail. I thought it would be easy....maybe that was the addrenaline talking! I wound up staying on Springer that first night.It was tougher than I thought it would be. Had a great time and wouldn't change it for anything. Call me what you want but it wasnt easy, just rewarding. I am glad I did it. Enjoy!!

Nightwalker
01-30-2007, 21:08
I haven't thru-hiked yet, but I think I have enough experience to know that as long as you know a section will be tough, the reality of actually hiking it isn't so bad. In other words, anticipation is usually worse than the actual event. I think in the scope of a 2000+ mile trip, it would be a shame to skip a very notorious 7 mile stretch out of fear. I'm positive I would personally regret it. My $0.02 worth.

My first time through GA, I had heard so much dumb stuff about Blood Mtn. that I was shocked when I popped out on top. I think that you're right.

I'm about to hike up from Amicalola the first time, but I'm looking forward to it instead of dreading it. It's only 2000 feet or so. Having said that, 850 feet of that is in the first 1.2 miles. :)

Katahdin right before the tablelands climbs around 2,000 feet in two miles. After that, I'll never bitch about a hill again*!

*(Yeah, right.)