PDA

View Full Version : Food Contest

iafte
01-29-2007, 11:19
So, when I go hiking with my group of friends we always have a contest of who can pull out something that makes everyone else just drool. This contest has been going on since they started hiking back in the late 80's. I only started hiking with them in the past 6 years because my brother never told me when they were going until the day they were leaving. This only happens on the long trips.

We have a long trip planned this spring and so far, when I have participated, I have won. I would like to have a chance at winning again this trip and my one friend is already bragging that he is going to win. Bad thing is, I can't seam to think of anything right now. That is why I am turning to you. ;)

Weight of the food is no issue, I use a small bowl to do most of my cooking in but can add some extra things to make whatever I finally plan on doing.

Just to give you some idea of what has won in the past:
1. Fajitas: I bought beef kabobs and froze them. 2nd day of the trip I pulled them out, sliced them up and made the fajitas. Had everyone drooling.

2. Funnel Cakes. Carried about 8oz of oil in one of those elements sport drink metal bottle. Brought pre-made funnel cake mix and a small container of powered sugar. Was only 2 of us when I used this one but once he figured out what I was making he said I won. :sun

Few that have one in the past when I didn't try for it:
1. Butterscotch pudding.
2. Gin and Tonics cooled in the river.

So, what is one thing you like to bring that always has the other hikers drooling.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 14:36
no bake cheese cake.

BTW, doesn't everyone have a martini as soon as they arrive in camp?
geek

ps. quesadia lasagna, chicken pot pie, shrimp hunan, steak salad.....

rafe
01-29-2007, 14:39
So, what is one thing you like to bring that always has the other hikers drooling.

Stuff I bring has the opposite effect. Dwy mouf. ;)

Alligator
01-29-2007, 14:45
Crepes for breakfast maybe? You could buy the premade crepes, and tote in fresh fruit--raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. And a can of instant whipped cream. I think it would just need to be cool enough.

SalParadise
01-29-2007, 14:55
maybe hash browns with a lot of salt, maybe add in some bacon and cheese.

soak some corn on the cob in some water for a bit then just throw it in the fire. then whip out a salt shaker and some squeeze-bottle margarine.

wrap some broccoli and cheese up in foil and heat it up in the fire.

could you make that Chex mix on the Trail? maybe just squirt on some chocolate sauce, powdered sugar and add peanuts? then shake it all in a ziplock bag. that is if the cereal doesn't get smashed.

chocolate-covered pretzels?

I really want some candy now for some reason.

grilled cheese sandwiches.

peel some grapes and roll them in some crushed peanuts and breadcrumbs for some PB&J's. heck, or just slice each grape in half and do it that way. you could chill the grapes in the stream first. if you can manage to keep the grapes on the vine, it's pretty artsy.

english-muffin pizzas. the sauce would last a day and pepperoni doesn't spoil.

maybe freeze some cubes of sirloin to cook later, mix up some powdered mashed potatoes and some of that powdered gravy.

you could whoop the Rum and Coke idea with some ice cube-free margaritas. or brew up some coffee and add Bailey's to it (Irish cream would last a non-refrigerated day, wouldn't it???)

chocolate-covered strawberries. just melt the chocolate over a warm rock instead of the fire.

dip a banana into some marshmallow fluff with some crushed peanuts in it.

i'm starving and i just had lunch, too.

SalParadise
01-29-2007, 14:57
Stuff I bring has the opposite effect. Dwy mouf. ;)

some sugary Kool-aid and a J, you'd totally win.

Mountain Maiden
01-29-2007, 15:30
maybe hash browns with a lot of salt, maybe add in some bacon and cheese.

soak some corn on the cob in some water for a bit then just throw it in the fire. then whip out a salt shaker and some squeeze-bottle margarine.

wrap some broccoli and cheese up in foil and heat it up in the fire.

could you make that Chex mix on the Trail? maybe just squirt on some chocolate sauce, powdered sugar and add peanuts? then shake it all in a ziplock bag. that is if the cereal doesn't get smashed.

chocolate-covered pretzels?

I really want some candy now for some reason.

grilled cheese sandwiches.

peel some grapes and roll them in some crushed peanuts and breadcrumbs for some PB&J's. heck, or just slice each grape in half and do it that way. you could chill the grapes in the stream first. if you can manage to keep the grapes on the vine, it's pretty artsy.

english-muffin pizzas. the sauce would last a day and pepperoni doesn't spoil.

maybe freeze some cubes of sirloin to cook later, mix up some powdered mashed potatoes and some of that powdered gravy.

you could whoop the Rum and Coke idea with some ice cube-free margaritas. or brew up some coffee and add Bailey's to it (Irish cream would last a non-refrigerated day, wouldn't it???)

chocolate-covered strawberries. just melt the chocolate over a warm rock instead of the fire.

dip a banana into some marshmallow fluff with some crushed peanuts in it.

i'm starving and i just had lunch, too.

Wow! some good ideas!

One of my favorite gourmet backpack menus is:

Corn Chowder appetizer (made from freeze dried stuff and pkgd potatoe mixes)

Pepper crusted Flat iron Steak with port wine portobello mushrooms with Bleu Cheese crumbles (pretty impressive presentation)

Hiker Tiramisu for dessert (YUMMY!)

Much of it can be planned ahead for easy reconstitution/heating at mealtime

Sunny aka Sunrise game 02 aka Cody Zamora

iafte
01-29-2007, 15:38
chicken pot pie- Hmm, I do like Pot Pie. So, if I get some of those pre-made pie crusts, dehydrated vegies/chicken. Small packet of chicken gravy. Tough part would be the cooking, making the actual stew would be easy, it's getting the crust to cook and not stick to my pot that would be the fun part. Hell, I'll just grab a microwavable pot pie and vacu-seal it and take that. Go away from the group while I "prepair" my dish. Hehe

Hmmm, Maybe French Onion soup, with cheese and all the fixings.... *drools* I do have the bowls that it normaly comes in, not sure if I will be a jerk and eat it myself, or bring enough and treat the other 3 as well.

soulrebel
01-29-2007, 15:58
cheese and chocolate fondue --bread, bananas, marshmallows

I like the crepes idea as well

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 16:05
chicken pot pie- Hmm, I do like Pot Pie. So, if I get some of those pre-made pie crusts, dehydrated vegies/chicken. Small packet of chicken gravy. Tough part would be the cooking, making the actual stew would be easy, it's getting the crust to cook and not stick to my pot that would be the fun part. Hell, I'll just grab a microwavable pot pie and vacu-seal it and take that. Go away from the group while I "prepair" my dish. Hehe

Hmmm, Maybe French Onion soup, with cheese and all the fixings.... *drools* I do have the bowls that it normaly comes in, not sure if I will be a jerk and eat it myself, or bring enough and treat the other 3 as well.

Pot pie can be made in one large pot. Pot size will depend on size of group.
This recipe is for 2 VERY hungry hikes so you can modify per # in the party.

1 chicken noodle Lipton dinner
1 can or small box of frozen DEHYDRATED mixed vegetables
2 packets of chicken gravy mix
1 soft packet of chicken meat chunks
1 box of chicken stuffing

Add up all water needed for all items above and fill pot with that amount.
Add Lipton dinner, stuffing seasoning packet and REHYDRATED veggies.
Bring to a boil and add chicken and gravy mix.
Should have a thick soupy stew when cooked (boil + 3minutes)
Add stuffing on top and press down in soup to absorb sauce then cover and let sit until stuffing has absorbed the excess soup.
EAT IT ALL!:)

geek

iafte
01-29-2007, 16:13
Pot pie can be made in one large pot. Pot size will depend on size of group.
This recipe is for 2 VERY hungry hikes so you can modify per # in the party.

1 chicken noodle Lipton dinner
1 can or small box of frozen DEHYDRATED mixed vegetables
2 packets of chicken gravy mix
1 soft packet of chicken meat chunks
1 box of chicken stuffing

Add up all water needed for all items above and fill pot with that amount.
Add Lipton dinner, stuffing seasoning packet and REHYDRATED veggies.
Bring to a boil and add chicken and gravy mix.
Should have a thick soupy stew when cooked (boil + 3minutes)
Add stuffing on top and press down in soup to absorb sauce then cover and let sit until stuffing has absorbed the excess soup.
EAT IT ALL!:)

geek

Wow, My kids are going hate me when I start making these as tests for dinner.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 16:14

i do bacon and eggs a lot
i make meat sauces with fresh veggies for pasta. i carry 2 pots.
one time out of waynesboro i did a fresh shrimp stir-fry over rice
i always carry beer or wine out of towns
one time me and others hiked up a blue-blaze trail to moreland gap shelter with ribeyes, potatoes and beer. this lawyer broad in the shelter accused us of cheating. i looked right her and said "you're just jealous and miserable"
i used to carry jiffy pop a lot

Lilred
01-29-2007, 16:21
sopopias (sp?) It consists of a flour tortilla with honey, brown sugar and cinammon folded inside and browned on both sides in a fry pan. Very Good!!

neo
01-29-2007, 16:25
quesadilla are my favorite,i make great pizza on the trail:cool: neo

sarbar
01-29-2007, 19:21
Gourmet pudding pies always seem to work for my friends. You make a thicker instant pudding (1 3/4 cups cold water per package, 2/3 cup dry milk) and serve them in the mini graham cracker crusts. Top with a ton of mini candy. Oreos flavor pudding is the best! Makes about 6.

mudhead
01-29-2007, 19:54
Second the "fuller pie" method of instant pudding. Mix cheescake with chocolate. No weight issue? Canned pineapple. Don't try to freeze it ahead, it gets funky-texturewise. Might have to try one of those no-bake cheesecake kits.

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 20:45
So, when I go hiking with my group of friends we always have a contest of who can pull out something that makes everyone else just drool.

Well, in that case I'd probably pull out my. . .oh, the topic is food? Nevermind.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 20:47
Well, in that case I'd probably pull out my. . .oh, the topic is food? Nevermind.

i'm reporting this post:mad:

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 20:48
Kidding! My favorite is simple and the smell of it drives everyone around me insane.

Family size pack of Stove Top (perfect fer hiking 'cause it takes little water and virtually no fuel to cook).
Gravy packet.
Parm cheese.

If you're feeling crazy throw in some chicken from one of those packets they come in now.

Hikers will attempt to physically assault you and take your food.

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 20:49
i'm reporting this post:mad:

I'm reporting THIS post. And then I'm havin' some Stove Top.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 20:51
I'm reporting THIS post. And then I'm havin' some Stove Top.

tuna and cheap wine for me

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 20:54
quesadilla are my favorite,i make great pizza on the trail:cool: neo
:-? Just keep adding layers until it is about 2" thick. Use a little olive oil in the bottom of a skillet and then cover so that the cheese melts and holds it all together, flip and brown the other side. Saves on cooking time and 1, cut in half serves 2 people.:sun

geek

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 20:56
:-? Just keep adding layers until it is about 2" thick. Use a little olive oil in the bottom of a skillet and then cover so that the cheese melts and holds it all together, flip and brown the other side. Saves on cooking time and 1, cut in half serves 2 people.:sun

geek

Good Lord. I'm going camping with you.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:00
Second the "fuller pie" method of instant pudding. Mix cheescake with chocolate. No weight issue? Canned pineapple. Don't try to freeze it ahead, it gets funky-texturewise. Might have to try one of those no-bake cheesecake kits.

The no bake cheese cake is great in the wilderness. You do need a porcellin covered deep dish plate like REI sales and hunting camps use. Make the crust with the graham cracker mix and squeeze butter and the cheese mix with powdered milk. You can sprinkle in blueberries, raspberries, etc. if you like. Cover and sit the plate in a spring or cold stream and you have cheese cake in 1 hour.

geek
ps. I'm not built like this because I starve!:banana

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 21:02
The no bake cheese cake is great in the wilderness. You do need a porcellin covered deep dish plate like REI sales and hunting camps use. Make the crust with the graham cracker mix and squeeze butter and the cheese mix with powdered milk. You can sprinkle in blueberries, raspberries, etc. if you like. Cover and sit the plate in a spring or cold stream and you have cheese cake in 1 hour.

geek
ps. I'm not built like this because I starve!:banana

You're killing me here. I'm totally going camping with you.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:08
You're killing me here. I'm totally going camping with you.

Jester,

Took Girl Next Door and Redwood on a Canadian canoe trip last september.
Had martini's every night as soon as we pulled into camp.
Different ethnic meal WITH drinks every night and dessert. Stuffed until you can't eat anymore, 70 miles from the closest building. We all gained weight! Average cooking time per meal---6 minutes.
PM me and I'll send you recipes.

sarbar
01-29-2007, 21:30
Jim, you can do the no-bake cheesecakes in the aluminum cupcake liners! And after they get eaten up, just crumple up and toss in your garbage sack :)

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:34
Jim, you can do the no-bake cheesecakes in the aluminum cupcake liners! And after they get eaten up, just crumple up and toss in your garbage sack :)

Very good point but usually I am canoe camping when I take cheesecake and the weight of the plate is not a consideration because the weight is in my canoe not on my back. I have found other ways to have and cook my canoeing meals while backpacking but haven't tried the cheese cake. Now I have a way for that also. THANKS for the tip!:sun
geek

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 21:44
Jester,

Took Girl Next Door and Redwood on a Canadian canoe trip last september.
Had martini's every night as soon as we pulled into camp.
Different ethnic meal WITH drinks every night and dessert.

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't go camping with you. 'Cause then I'd ALWAYS have to go hiking with you.

Blissful
01-29-2007, 21:45
My hubby Skipper makes a mean omelet with fresh eggs, cheddar etc. We hope to get some fresh eggs to have on our thru - and hope other hikers will want to split up the dozen with us. Don't think they would keep well in a hiker box since we'd only want a few to eat the next day or so. :)

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:51
Blissful,
If you can carry them without smashing them, hard boil the rest and carry them in a zip loc buried deep in your pack. With one of those small bottles of tabasco from MRE's, they make a great already prepared breakfast.
geek

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 21:54
You can also flash boil the eggs which will make them last longer without keeping them cold. Boil water, drop them in for about 20 seconds, and remove them. It hardens the ourter part of the egg nearest the shell, thus giving a layer of insulation.

Obviously, there's a little less usable raw egg.

But that doesn't mean I don't rule.

iafte
01-29-2007, 22:01
These are great. Even if I just use them for my own pleasure. Hmm, we will be hiking near alot of water, Jello shots anyone? :D

SalParadise
01-29-2007, 22:27
flavourless gelatin and add some champagne and some fruit juice or jelley or puree or whole fruit. pour into a close-top glass and chill in the stream.

Nightwalker
01-31-2007, 14:16
Hikers will attempt to physically assault you and take your food.

Heck, after they eat enough Ramen and instant oatmeal they'll nearly assault you for a brownie. I had some other hikers almost begging for one in VA this year. (Besides, they're 400 calories and small to boot.)

fonsie
01-31-2007, 15:04
Dehydrated Beer..... All I had to do is add water and boo yaa the drunk was drunk..... Its the best comes as a powder and all you got to do is add cold spring mountain water..

Jim Adams
01-31-2007, 15:38
Dehydrated Beer..... All I had to do is add water and boo yaa the drunk was drunk..... Its the best comes as a powder and all you got to do is add cold spring mountain water..
:confused: Developed by the Japanese but has a problem with the alcohol evaporating during dehydration. Their answer to the problem was to
add a small container of vodka in each bag to be dumped in after rehydration. Taste was just fair. A true alky will carry real cans into AND out of the trail!:D

geek

fonsie
01-31-2007, 16:01
Wow something I was just messing around with and thought it be cool to have dehidrated beer.....never thought someone allready did it??>>>.....

saimyoji
01-31-2007, 16:11
Wow something I was just messing around with and thought it be cool to have dehidrated beer.....never thought someone allready did it??>>>.....

Yeah, been around for a while now. The TRUE alky will pack in ice as well. :D

Froggy
01-31-2007, 16:22
I've heard, not tried it myself, that eggs that were never refrigerated last well without refrigeration. Might be a trick to find them that fresh, though. (Lighten your pack enough and you can always bring a hen....)

It's a sailboat cruising thing. The unrefrigerated eggs that is, not the hen.

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 16:30
Whole roast turkey. You said food weight isn't an issue. Get 10 lb +/-. Bring aluminum foil and about 40 charcoal briquiets and 4 short tubes 4" dia. made of fence mesh. Set up tubes in a square about 24" apart, wrap foil around the square from bottom to top. Suspend turkey from a branch tripod in the center of the oven. Should cook in 3 hrs +/-. Stuffing (stove top) adds a little time. Instant potatoes and gravy mix on the side. Etc.

My Scouts have packed this in to sites. Fairly impressive.

The Weasel

iafte
01-31-2007, 17:13
Whole roast turkey. You said food weight isn't an issue. Get 10 lb +/-. Bring aluminum foil and about 40 charcoal briquiets and 4 short tubes 4" dia. made of fence mesh. Set up tubes in a square about 24" apart, wrap foil around the square from bottom to top. Suspend turkey from a branch tripod in the center of the oven. Should cook in 3 hrs +/-. Stuffing (stove top) adds a little time. Instant potatoes and gravy mix on the side. Etc.

My Scouts have packed this in to sites. Fairly impressive.

The Weasel

Maybe not a whole turkey, have to think about how much we would be taking out, not just taking in. I do like the idea though. With a 3+ hour cook time most of my friends will be done eating and relaxing by then. Now, If I could hike so fast I get to camp 3 hours ahead of them I would do it.

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 17:29
Maybe not a whole turkey, have to think about how much we would be taking out, not just taking in. I do like the idea though. With a 3+ hour cook time most of my friends will be done eating and relaxing by then. Now, If I could hike so fast I get to camp 3 hours ahead of them I would do it.

Could probably use uncooked turkey breast as well, shorter time.

the Weasel

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 22:34
I still think that some of the dehydrated gourmet stuff my wife fixed up tasted pretty darn good.. I really liked dehydrated fresh pinapple too..

Back to car type camping I used to be pretty good at Dutch oven cobblers and venison stews...

khaynie
02-01-2007, 07:00
Po' Boys are always a hit around camp. Just throw a roast, onions, carrots, potatoes and your favorite seasonings in some tinfoil. Wrap, freeze, and take out on the trail with you.

At camp, build a rip roarin' fire, put Po' Boy in ashes, cook for 30-45 min. While it's coooking, break out that box of wine you lugged in and partake in the nectar of the Gods. Guaranteed to make you slap your Grandma...that is if your Grandma hikes:-)

drdewrag
02-01-2007, 07:29
After Christmas this year, we hiked Hot Springs to Davenport. On the second night, I remembered that somewhere down in that pack was several slices of some chocolate pound cake that was wrapped in aluminum foil. Of course, you could no longer tell they were slices - just a ball of chocolate pound cake. Just right!