PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Bartram Trail Hike

whitefoot_hp
01-29-2007, 13:03
Hey, I remember mentioning I was doing this hike several weeks ago, and some said they would like to here about it, so here it is...

Friday morning, My fellow hiker and I left from the GA/SC border where the trail crosses the Chatooga River. hiking into GA, the trail follows the Chattooga River and some of its tributaries, and is EXTREMELY beutiful and scenic. the hills are small, and here you are slightly east of the bigger mountains in GA, and after 15 miles starting at noon ending around six we thought we had kicked our hike in the a** (total section hike was 37.7 mi) with saturday and sunday still available

Then on saturday, after employing my friends GPS, we discovered my truck was really one access point further than we had assumed, adding 10 miles to our 37.7, so we thought no big deal. However, the second half of our hike involved veering away from the Chattooga (which we were hiking sobo), curving to the west, and heading north into the bigger mountains of GA (so our section was like a horseshoe in shape). Saturday was mostly following ridgelines constantly uphill, always in a very roundabout way, i think we knocked out 15 more miles again but with twice the time available, even doing a little night hiking. not very many thrilling views, just gently uphill terrain.

Sunday, we woke up from camp at wilson gap, which is five miles from our biggest climb of the trip, Rabun Bald, (second highest peak in GA, amazing view) which we summitted at 11 am, but in the most frigid conditions i have ever been apart of (not saying too much) but still pretty frigid. i had initially shed some layers early in the morning only to expose my self to wind as we climbed higher, and after feeling woosy and very odd (i think i was experiencing early signs of hypothermia, but i am not sure) i decided to relayer. after rabun bald, it was four miles to where we wanted my truck to be, but in reality it was 14 miles away. so we hiked three miles up the road and got rides from these freindly people, one couple in a subaru outback gave me a ride and their friends behind them in the exact same model gave my friend a ride and alas we were at my truck.

hiking is one of the few endeavors where you say thank god at the beginning and at the end. and i have much respect for winter conditions, even in a "mild" GA winter.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2007, 19:35
Another great trail report. Did you use John Ray's Bartram Trail Guide? They are in large format with brightly colored covers. I met John Ray up on a mountaintop camping with a group of fellow backpackers and we had a good conversation about his guides. His knowledge of the area trails is vast.

drdewrag
01-29-2007, 20:57
Sounds great! Thanks for the report!

whitefoot_hp
01-30-2007, 10:09
i also meant to suggest that since the bartram trail intersects and even shares some trail with the AT, it would make a good alternate ending to a sobo thru hike, or even an alternate start for a nobo. however, there werent any resupply opps in the 37 miles in GA

MOWGLI
01-30-2007, 10:25
Another great trail report. Did you use John Ray's Bartram Trail Guide? They are in large format with brightly colored covers. I met John Ray up on a mountaintop camping with a group of fellow backpackers and we had a good conversation about his guides. His knowledge of the area trails is vast.

John's a good man and a friend of mine. He has written an excellent guide to the GA Bartram, and has guides to the NC Bartram and the Chunky Gal Trail. For those that haven't already read a trip report from my hike of Fires Creek Rim Trail, here is a link - http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/042077.html.

There is an audio interview with John and his contact email is in the entry - if you're interested in getting a hold of hime to;
Purchase a guidebook
Volunteer for some trail work
Get up to date trail conditions
Provide John with an update regarding trail conditions

John is retired and always loves to hear from hikers about the trails he maps, hikes & maintains. Please tell him I said hello if you contact him.

Jeffrey Hunter

The Doctor
01-31-2007, 11:43
Yeah that hike was quite a doozey, The first night we were so happy to have made it so far. But then nature has it's way of putting people in line and the folowing two days proved quite difficult. The path was intended to be hiked SOBO from what our awesome map showed. I think we started at around 1200ft. and the hiked ended somewhere around 4200 feet after the rabun bald summit of 4750ft.! I would definately recommend this hike to anyone looking to strengthen their uphill stamina or build massive leg muscles. Otherwise you could go SOBO and just enjot the scenery.