PDA

View Full Version : Time off work

nightcrawler
01-29-2007, 16:19
I was wondering about people who were able to get a leave of absence or something similiar from work in order to attempt a thru-hike. I am curious about ways to approach it in order to be successful in getting the time off. As of right now I have resigned myself to section hiking, which isn't bad just not exactly the dream.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 16:20
what is your job?

nightcrawler
01-29-2007, 16:24
I am an engineer. Unfortunately it is a lot of time to take off. Seems like a daunting task to try and campaign for it.

Singe03
01-29-2007, 16:27
I had been layed off before my 2003 hike...

I currently have a job I hate (mostly due to the local management who I don't actually work for) but it pays the bills and lets me save enough to go again in 2008. My approach will likely be something very straight foward like "This is my request for a LOA or my 2 weeks notice, your choice"...

Toolshed
01-29-2007, 16:32
A True Thru-hiker would never even pose the question since there is no answer. "The Hike" comes before any possible rational thought of employment. If you have a concern about time off from work, you are a Section Hiker. Welcome aboard. :welcome

Ridge Rat
01-29-2007, 17:30
The way I am approaching it is simple, approach them something like next january and ask for a leave of absence, if they dont grant it I will quit in march and catch the train. Figure if I quit I can always hunt for a job elsewhere when I finish the trail. Could care less, you only live once, I work to live, dont live to work. The trail calls.

rafe
01-29-2007, 18:06
In 1990, I asked for a six month leave of absence from my engineering job. I wasn't granted a LOA so I just quit. Gave myself about eight or nine months off and then started looking for work again. A couple months after that I was salaryman again, and have been ever since. Sigh.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2007, 18:09
Without knowing your age, marital/parental status, your anticipated career growth, level within your company, etc it's hard to really make informed suggestions. There are some here that will tell you to take the long hike regardless of your career concerns. Most however, will tell you the trail is secondary to the other things in your life. It's possible you will live to regret not thru-hiking the AT at this time - then again you might also regret giving up a your career with a good employer to do so. Part of life is that you will make choices and always be able to doubt and possibly regret not doing the other competing thing. I will offer that as you seem concerned about your career, you statistically have less than a 1 in 10 chance of completing a thru-hike, regardless of how well intentioned you are at the moment. You can't make a living hiking. You can however section hike AND keep your job/career intact. Ask for some time off, take what you can get, and hike on vacations, leaves, and weekends. Or wait as many do, until they are older and can more easily take the time without career consequences. Should you decide to do the thru-hike, be very sure it is more important than your commitment to your career and employer. The decision may have irreversible negative consequences.

LIhikers
01-29-2007, 18:32
I have a job that I love and wouldn't quit, not even to thru hike. I'm either going to retire from here or they'll have to fire me. If the later happens my backpack will be loaded and I'll head to one end or the trail, or the other, depending on the season, for a thru hike. If I don't get fired I'll continue to section hike until I retire and then do a thru. Of course I resereve the right to change my mind at a moments notice! :)

nightcrawler
01-29-2007, 18:44
I will offer that as you seem concerned about your career, you statistically have less than a 1 in 10 chance of completing a thru-hike, regardless of how well intentioned you are at the moment.

I realize that the odds are against me. I am just looking for ideas and trying to keep my options open. I am just going to have to keep the fire burning until I can seize the moment.

SalParadise
01-29-2007, 19:24
A True Thru-hiker would never even pose the question since there is no answer. "The Hike" comes before any possible rational thought of employment. If you have a concern about time off from work, you are a Section Hiker. Welcome aboard. :welcome

you must be a rich, rich man.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2007, 19:39
I am just going to have to keep the fire burning until I can seize the moment.

Join the club.;)

BTW, I don't know specifically what technical discipline or your area of expertise is, but contract/road warrior work can be quite lucrative and enable you to take the kind of time off necessary to thru-hike.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:23
Is your job in demand? If it is, just quit, you can find another easily when you get back. If it is not in demand, then you need to find a way to make your employer know that he needs YOU back when the hike is over.
geek

Blissful
01-29-2007, 21:57
I work out of the home (fiction author) so my editors are working around my schedule on current books coming out in the fall. They have been real good about it so far. And any new contracts won't be issued until I get back - since I can't write obviously on the trail, except journaling. Though I may have one or both galleys for my Christmas novellas to cart around for a bit in my pack.

SalParadise
01-29-2007, 22:32
those collapsable keyboards are fairly light. couldn't you take that and type into one of those through-the-phone email jobbies? don't know if that would be enough, but just a thought.

The General
01-29-2007, 22:47
I was lucky enough to get leave of absence to Tru Hike in 2004, and even get paid a retainer when I returned I was relocated but still had a job though in a high risk enviroment. I have been lucky enough to have stayed in one piece so far and have got my war chest full again and Lord willing I will survive to Tru again in 2008. Money is not everything but we do need it to get by though remember this. The aim of life is not to arrive in the next world debt free and in good health it is to slide home at the last moment battered, bruised and in your last breath look the Devil in the eye and say " That was one hell of a ride". Hike and be dammed

cargousa
01-29-2007, 22:52
Just ask (months in advance is best) I was very worried about the reaction my company would have but their response has been fantastic, very supportive, linking to my trail journal in the newsletter etc....basically told me to let them know when I'm back.

I approached it by taking my boss out to lunch and telling him what I wanted to do. I specifically made sure he knew that it had nothing to do with my happiness with the company, client, contract etc...it was just something I've always wanted to do, and if I didn't just decide to do it, it was never gonna get done.

IF they say no, then you have a decision to make, but go in positive. Positive about your return. Positive about the company, your job etc. you may be surprised at the reaction you get, many, if not most, people have something they've always wanted to do, some big hairy audacious goal (like a thru) but never actually get around to doing. Your boss may sympathize with you completely.

If possible try and make your exit as least painful for them as possible. Go in with a strategy for transitioning your work load. As an example, I'm a computer programmer (consultant) so I suggested that my 'last day' of work be at the end of my contract (ie the contract was ending and I would be switching clients) this made it a very simple transition point. But if you can't swing perfect timing go in with the plan already laid out. Don't bring your boss a new problem bring him/her a solution.

Oh and flattery helps! in my case they were all true:

"This is the best company I've ever worked for"
"I wouldn't have been comfortable doing this with any other company"
"Have you lost weight?"

Just kidding about the last one!

Anyway...enough from me, to sum up:
Go in positive
Go in with a plan
Go in talking about your return

Of course YMMV!

See ya on the trail!

60 days and counting....Springer here I come