PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Health Insurance while on the AT?

the Nighthawk
01-29-2007, 16:44
If anyone has any ideas for which companies or outfits sell reasonably priced health insurance to cover someone in his/her duration on the AT, please send that information my way. I am looking for basic coverage for somewhat serious injuries, basically coverage that will get you into an emergency room or urgent care centre with a minimal co-pay. Also, I live in NY, which seems to be a factor in procuring short term health insurance, so if any of you are from NY, or are sure that the providers that you kniow of do indeed sell to NY citizens, that info. is also appreciated. Thank you for you help.

Peace,

the Nighthawk

Toolshed
01-29-2007, 16:48
Do a WB search on Health Care Insurance. There a re a few threads.

LEGS
01-29-2007, 17:29
If anyone has any ideas for which companies or outfits sell reasonably priced health insurance to cover someone in his/her duration on the AT, please send that information my way. I am looking for basic coverage for somewhat serious injuries, basically coverage that will get you into an emergency room or urgent care centre with a minimal co-pay. Also, I live in NY, which seems to be a factor in procuring short term health insurance, so if any of you are from NY, or are sure that the providers that you kniow of do indeed sell to NY citizens, that info. is also appreciated. Thank you for you help.

Peace,

the Nighthawk

CARRY EXTRA BIG STICK!!! BE AWARE!!!

Pacific Tortuga
01-29-2007, 17:52
Do not have any major surgery in the past 5 years ......:( ..... I was told by a broker and the fine print on the Blue Cross agreement. At least dont tell them :-? is one way to go, but I didn't say that. :rolleyes:

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 16:48
I just researched and got 2 quotes, the results are below:

Time Insurance
$417.44
180 days of coverage
$2500 deductible
20% coinsurance after deductible
Total out of pocket limit: $4500.00 including deductible

BC/BS
$198.00
180 days of coverage
$1000.00 Deductible
20% coinsurance after deductible
$35.00 copay if in network
Total out of pocket limit: $5000.00 including deductible

Both plans are designed for emergency stuff only, no check-ups etc.
Although Time has a good reputation with short term insurance, I can't figure why BC/BS is so much less expensive, still digging though....

I have further details if anyone wants to PM me, or ask here.

Also, anyone with experience with these two companies or the like?

split.arrow
01-30-2007, 17:17
Hi John,
Is that $198 for each state?

jesse
01-30-2007, 17:41
Nighthawk,
I do not reccommend short-term coverage, unless you have a job lined up, with health benefits when you complete your hike.
I am a licenced agent in Georgia. I do not know about NY, however in GA I mostly reccommend an HSA (Health Savings Account) qualiifed plan from Golden Rule, called the HSA Saver Plan. A 23 year old male can get coverage in GA for $61 per month. Routine office visits and out patient presription drugs are not covered. This plan has a $2850 deductible. Call 1800-926-7602 and they can give you the name of an agent in NY.

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 17:45
Hi John,
Is that $198 for each state?
The quotes are based on FL rates, my residence.

I'm glad you asked, that exposed some issues: That was $198.00 paid up front, one time. I just called back to BC/BS and asked them if I would be covered in different states, she wouldn't say yes and wouldn't give me anybody who could say yes or put it in writing. They wanted me to be restricted to FL. I asked if during the 180 days I was to be restricted to FL and she couldn't give me a straight answer, but suggested I go with full time insurance.. SO, looks like Time Insurance wins out, THEY told me that the policy would follow me state to state. I'll be sure to get that in writting....

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 17:55
This may help...
The next eHealthInsurance representative will be with you shortly
https://server.iad.liveperson.net/hcp/chatinfo/chatinfo.gifYou are now chatting with 'Kim'
Kim: Welcome to eHealthInsurance's live chat service. How can I help you today?
John: Hey, I was looking to purchase short term, (180 day) insurance through Time. I will be traveling state to state the entire 180 days, will this coverage follow me where I go?
Kim: Yes as it is an Indemnity plan so you can go to any doctor in the US.

jesse
01-30-2007, 17:55
Almost all policies written by reputable companies such as Golden Rule and Time, will cover emergency procedures whereever. You need not be "in network"

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 17:56
Almost all policies written by reputable companies such as Golden Rule and Time, will cover emergency procedures whereever. You need not be "in network"

Blue Cross Blue Shield would NOT assure me of this.

jesse
01-30-2007, 18:09
Keep in mind. All plans issued by reputable companies such as , Golden Rule and Time cover emergency services wherever. Even out of network.

jesse
01-30-2007, 18:11
Disregard that last post. Blue cross does cover emergency care whereever it occurs.

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 18:18
Disregard that last post. Blue cross does cover emergency care whereever it occurs.

why would they not confirm this for me and try to push a full time policy??? Listen, I got no dog in this hunt, I'm just telling you they rep for BC/BS was adamant that she was NOT going to tell me that this policy would work in different states. Therefore, unless I get it in writing otherwise, I will not be buying from BC/BS.

Pacific Tortuga
01-30-2007, 18:42
Can't trust Insurance Company's and a few JD's :) but some times we need them, that is why all of the questions. Small Print Sucks :mad: Ask any Katrina victim.

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 18:54
Since 1995, Golden Rule has faced 15 investigations by insurance officials for aggressive sales tactics and questionable marketing. That compares with just nine investigations at UnitedHealth, though Golden Rule's revenues barely equaled 3% of UnitedHealth's 2003 revenues. At its low point, in 2002, Golden Rule settled for $660,000 a nine-state investigation that found its small-group policies required employees to submit "proof of good health," a violation of federal health-care rules. In addition to the payment, Golden Rule agreed to make "substantive" changes in the way it does business in those states.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_41/b3954056.htm

Pacific Tortuga
01-30-2007, 18:58
Since 1995, Golden Rule has faced 15 investigations by insurance officials for aggressive sales tactics and questionable marketing. That compares with just nine investigations at UnitedHealth, though Golden Rule's revenues barely equaled 3% of UnitedHealth's 2003 revenues. At its low point, in 2002, Golden Rule settled for $660,000 a nine-state investigation that found its small-group policies required employees to submit "proof of good health," a violation of federal health-care rules. In addition to the payment, Golden Rule agreed to make "substantive" changes in the way it does business in those states.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_41/b3954056.htm

AND ? Iran is troubled by this ? OK, I need help, sorry

jesse
01-30-2007, 19:06
I hate to argue about a particular case, when All the facts are not known. Golden Rule (and probably everybody elese) does not cover pre-existing conditions. In this case it seems a "competent doctor" determined that the condition was pre-existing. As far as the out of network surgery. That procedure would probably not qualify as an emergency procedure. So it would be treated as an out of network procedure.
It is advisible to carefully read all of you insurance policies (life, health, auto, home). When it comes time to pay, the companies are going to pay according to the contract, not according to what you thought was covered or what some agent told you was covered.
I wonder if the Weasel could step in here and clarify things?

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 19:08
I hate to argue about a particular case, when All the facts are not known. Golden Rule (and probably everybody elese) does not cover pre-existing conditions. In this case it seems a "competent doctor" determined that the condition was pre-existing. As far as the out of network surgery. That procedure would probably not qualify as an emergency procedure. So it would be treated as an out of network procedure.
It is advisible to carefully read all of you insurance policies (life, health, auto, home). When it comes time to pay, the companies are going to pay according to the contract, not according to what you thought was covered or what some agent told you was covered.

To what case are you referring? Perhaps this was to go in the Golden Rule bashing thread?

jesse
01-30-2007, 19:10
I was reffering to the link in post #16

Toolshed
01-30-2007, 21:17

You raise excellent points. Polices are written by folks that indemnify for a living. Policies are purchased by people who usually have a very vague idea of what they are buying.

I wrote the names of very reputable carriers in the other thread (Post #7) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18811) but I beleive the best bet is to go with a local Blues plan since they normally access the networks of blues plan across the country, making it difficult to truly be out of network in any one area.

I develop, analyze and negotiate contracts with many of the National Managed Care Accounts and and National PBMs across the country. I'd be glad to look at the terms and conditions of a contract for a WBer (if they can get a copy before signing it).

Sadly anything good said about managed care will probably soon be overshadowed by Hopeless Hiker or the F'ing Dino Demagoging over Universal Health Care coverage. :-?

1Pint
01-30-2007, 21:52
If anyone has any ideas for which companies or outfits sell reasonably priced health insurance to cover someone in his/her duration on the AT, please send that information my way.
Peace,

the Nighthawk

I'm probably going to use Aetna for the 6 months. I'm currently covered with them through work. If I continue with them through the government-mandated COBRA, I have to pay what my employer currently pays ($335 or so) plus my normal monthly portion (like $50) plus a 2% administrative fee to my employer for the hassle of processing my monthly payments. Instead, if I go with Aetna's individual plan, it'll be like $109 a month with a $5,000 deductible or $179 a month with a $1500 deductible. Their rates vary based upon your personal medical history but they'll mail you a packet of info with base rates and different deductible amounts so you can figure out what's best for you. Coverage is reasonably comprehensive (20% copay on procedures & labwork, $35 office visit copay) and comparable to what I have through my work plan.

Seven years ago I used the Kaiser individual plan. It too was inexpensive and covered all the basic stuff after the deductible was met.

I encourage you to contact the big insurers in your area and ask them to send you the paperwork with all the teeny tiny fine print so you can be sure it'll cover a broken leg or appendectomy. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Laura

Toolshed
01-30-2007, 21:57
Well, not to open the can of worms, but with universal health care we wouldn't have these threads, right?

Yikes...... We'd talk about ....... Hmmm Hiking??? What color is our pack??
Lunch Ideas???? :D

cachica
11-15-2007, 21:51
BC/BS wouldn't reimburse me for local in-network procedure. would NEVER choose them if i had a choice. Golden Rule worked really well for me once, including a minor bike accident.

Blue Cross Blue Shield would NOT assure me of this.