PDA

View Full Version : down jacket

dsg
01-29-2007, 22:39
im starting 3-6-07 the only thing i haven't bought yet is a jacket. i know it'll be cold but i want the lightest weight and warmest (and best priced) i can get. i know it's alot to ask for, but help me!

Phreak
01-29-2007, 23:02
Montbell Down Inner Jacket ($140), 800-down, 6.7 oz

Tipi Walter
01-29-2007, 23:09
I guess there are only a few makers of good down jackets out there, Montbell, Western Mountaineering and perhaps Feathered Friends. Does Moonstone make a jacket? I use a North Face Nupste but it is somewhat heavy and typically underfilled, so I would go with something else. You could always pay $750 for the Rock and Ice parka by Feathered Friends(ha!).

Now that's a fine jacket. IF you have to stay outdoors for months in frigid temps, overkill for the AT of course.

Survivor Dave
01-29-2007, 23:24
Ditto to Phreak.

I will be using a Mont-Bell Jacket. It is SLIGHTLY tight but it is very warm. Tried it in 15 degrees last night(actually early morning) with moderate activity, and to be honest, I was ready to take it off after about 1/2 hour. Very, very warm. I think I said that. Bought it at Mtn. Xings, for $150($135 after ATC CASH discount). Activity levels do vary. I will be using it in 3 weeks on the Trail.

Big Maguro

Montbell Down Inner Jacket ($140), 800-down, 6.7 oz

MedicineMan
01-30-2007, 01:13
but look at the Thermawrap Parka....unreal warmth for the weight...a smartwool zip-T underneath and you'll be like a bun out of the oven and with the thermawrap you've got something in case it gets wet.

TREE-HUGGER
01-30-2007, 08:08
I use the Patagonia Micro Puff at 12 oz filled with polar gard. It is still warm when wet.

bigcranky
01-30-2007, 08:12
The Montbells are good. The new lineup is the Ultralight (UL) Down Inner Jacket, which is very light (<8oz), but not too lofty. Good replacement for a fleece, as it will be warmer, lighter, and more compressible. About $140. The next jacket up is the Alpine Light at about 12oz. (This replaces the Down Inner jacket that wasn't the UL Down Inner jacket -- confused yet? -- that's why they changed the name.) More loft, more warmth, a better all-around choice IMHO for your only warm layer. This one has hand-warmer pockets. $150.

You can often get good deals on Montbell gear and clothing on the web clearance page on their web site:

http://www.montbell.com/america/products/outlet.html

wallace
01-30-2007, 08:45
I had just ordered a Montbell Termawrap jacket from backcountrygear.com.
They had them on clearance for $95 which is the best deal I could find. It comes in at 8 oz.

Blissful
01-30-2007, 21:29
I had just ordered a Montbell Termawrap jacket from backcountrygear.com.
They had them on clearance for $95 which is the best deal I could find. It comes in at 8 oz.

I got one from them too, but mine was $97 back in early Jan. :) Anyway, I'm bringing a Sierra Designs down jacket at 1 lb for March and part of April until I get through Roan Mtn, then will switch to the thermawrap. I get cold easily.

sweetpeastu
01-30-2007, 22:44
SOO does that mean the thermawrap is warmer than the down jacket u bought? I need a seriously warm jacket,and I like the idea of down for its packability and lightness, but I love synthetics ability to keep you warm in wet weather (and im in the South--so we have dampness)

chicote
01-31-2007, 12:04
Also look at the Mountain Hardwear Phantom. I have had mine for a couple years now and love it. You can find good deals on those as well and they are a little heavier than the Montbells but offer more insulation.

Johnny Swank
01-31-2007, 12:42
We both have the Phantom jackets and have had good luck with them. My large is right at 15 ounces, but I'm not sure what my ladyfriend's size M is.

tmnobo07
01-31-2007, 14:16
I purchased a GoLite Cumulus down sweater on Sierra Trading Post in 05. It was half off at the time so it was a no brainer. If you can find a good deal on this jacket I'd definitely recommend it. It's a lot insulation but I get cold easy.

My jacket is a size M and weighs 13.7 oz. It's 800+ fill power so it very lofty. It packs down very small. I was just wearing this jacket in NYC when it was -2 with wind chill and it kept me very comfortable. That's the coldest temp I've used it in.

My buddy has the Montbell Therma Wrap and I must say it's a nice jacket. Obviously not the same level of insulation as my GoLite but I'd consider getting one for the cool summer nights. At >8oz the Therma Wrap is awesome.

Blissful
01-31-2007, 15:34
SOO does that mean the thermawrap is warmer than the down jacket u bought? I need a seriously warm jacket,and I like the idea of down for its packability and lightness, but I love synthetics ability to keep you warm in wet weather (and im in the South--so we have dampness)

That's why I got the down jacket for the early part of the hike (a rain jacket over it will suffice in wet weather. My precip fits fine over my SD down) and the thermawrap for later on in the hike for those nippy nights. I ended up with a mens medium as it was cheaper than getting the women's when I bought it in Jan, though for some reason the men's shoulder area is a wee tight. But I LOVE the weight and warmth of the thing.

Blissful
01-31-2007, 15:36
Also look at the Mountain Hardwear Phantom. I have had mine for a couple years now and love it. You can find good deals on those as well and they are a little heavier than the Montbells but offer more insulation.

Yep and now's the time to get it. Many outdoor shops have their winter gear on sale, esp the down jackets. I happen to get my Sierra Designs down at Sierra Trading post for $68 last year.

leep frog
02-02-2007, 12:41
You might also consider the patagonia micro-puff pullover. It's very warm for the weight(~10oz) and easily paired as part of you sleep system, plus it's synthetic, which I like to have in an insulating jacket--more useful if you need to wear it while hiking, although this is rare-, especially since my bag is down. And, you can always pair it with a 5oz down vest like one from wester mountaineering. For march this is plenty warm, especially if you do you cooking and camp chores while in your bag, and having the 2 layers is far more veratile than one very thick layer. it will cost you more though, but it's worth it.

Check online and you can find good deals, I think i only paid ~80 for mine even with shipping.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-02-2007, 13:01
im starting 3-6-07 the only thing i haven't bought yet is a jacket. i know it'll be cold but i want the lightest weight and warmest (and best priced) i can get. i know it's alot to ask for, but help me!

I can only rule one out, the Western Mountaineering Melt Down. While exceptionally light, warm and well made, has a shell fabric that is way too fragile for rough use. A small ember from a fire landed on mine and did a China Syndrome right thu. Mine cost over $200.00 3 years ago and I imagine the price has gone up since.

Kerosene
02-02-2007, 13:34
I'll echo the accolades for the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket, with great warmth for the under 8 oz. (size M) version. There's one on sale on the Montbell site (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/FoSpg_shosai.asp?cat=2000&hinban=2301243) for $112. I got mine for $85 from somewhere on-line last summer.

Footslogger
02-02-2007, 13:53
I'll echo the accolades for the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket, with great warmth for the under 8 oz. (size M) version. There's one on sale on the Montbell site (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/FoSpg_shosai.asp?cat=2000&hinban=2301243) for $112. I got mine for $85 from somewhere on-line last summer.

======================================

How is this jacket cut ? What I mean is ...how medium is a Medium ? I have the Patagonia Micro Puff in a Medium and its JUST perfect. Any idea how Mont-Bell stuff compares with Patagonia ??

'Slogger

Kerosene
02-02-2007, 16:37
The UL Down Inner Jacket is cut fairly tight. I am consistently a Medium (men's clothing size, not necessarily other sizes or clairvoyancy!) and I could fit a few thin layers underneath without compressing the down. It would've been tight over a thick sweater I think. While I don't have direct experience with the Patagonia product it looks bigger and weighs a little more (3 oz) for the same size.

Footslogger
02-02-2007, 16:57
The UL Down Inner Jacket is cut fairly tight. I am consistently a Medium (men's clothing size, not necessarily other sizes or clairvoyancy!) and I could fit a few thin layers underneath without compressing the down. It would've been tight over a thick sweater I think. While I don't have direct experience with the Patagonia product it looks bigger and weighs a little more (3 oz) for the same size.

=================================

OK ...so then if I understand correctly I'd probably need the LARGE. Would probably wear it over a long sleeved synthetic shirt and then layer over the Inner Jacket if I needed something more wind/rain proof.

Thanks,

'Slogger

troglobil
02-02-2007, 17:08
I am 5'8'' 160lbs. 42" chest, I bought a large. It fits good over a heavy fleece.

Footslogger
02-02-2007, 17:12
I am 5'8'' 160lbs. 42" chest, I bought a large. It fits good over a heavy fleece.

========================

5'10"/ 165 / 40" chest. Might be too much room in a LARGE then for me ??

'Slogger

gekko
02-09-2007, 02:48
Look at the patagonia Down sweater, I think all of the jackets mentioned are full weight jackets, the down sweater is only 9.5 ounces and layered over the long underwear and fleece you'll be wearing during the day, it is more than warm enough. Packs into its own inner pocket.

MedicineMan
02-09-2007, 03:41
that is funny !

highway
02-09-2007, 09:31

I seem to categorize bulky down clothing for the 4th season, winter, season of hiking. It's use would seem to be more appropriate in cold and mostly dry conditions, where precipitation falls as drier snow rather than wet rain. I just might be more inclined to take another layer instead, like long underwear, to use till it warmed up more in April. The insulated garments are designed to keep heat in and are not directional in wicking heat andc moisture outward.

neo
02-09-2007, 12:43
i just bought one of these jackets,great for 50 bucks.i will wiegh it soon:cool: neo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033787922662a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=down+jacket&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=down+jacket&noImage=0

it's very well made