PDA

View Full Version : Burningtown Gap

Saluki Dave
07-16-2003, 22:12
An alternate to Licklog Gap betweeb Wayah and Wesser Balds in NC. About 2 miles farher N on the AT, and a mile or so before the really marginal Cold Springs Shelter. Nice open pasture with some elderly apple trees. Water possible from a stream 300-400 yards south of the gap; not sure how reliable. Drawback: At the end of an access road from down by Nantahala Lake. No traffic when I was there.

Saluki Dave
07-17-2003, 21:49
I posted a pic in Other Gallerys/Tent camping

Corvis
02-23-2004, 00:31
Thanks for the tip, Saluki Dave! I'm going to be hiking that area in a few months.

Corvis

shades of blue
02-25-2004, 15:10
An alternate to Licklog Gap betweeb Wayah and Wesser Balds in NC. About 2 miles farher N on the AT, and a mile or so before the really marginal Cold Springs Shelter. Nice open pasture with some elderly apple trees. Water possible from a stream 300-400 yards south of the gap; not sure how reliable. Drawback: At the end of an access road from down by Nantahala Lake. No traffic when I was there.
Saluki....is the stream on the AT or is it on a side trail...if a side trail...is it blue blazed, or well marked? Thanks!

Saluki Dave
02-25-2004, 16:24
Hi shades and corvis,

The two streams cross the trail south of the gap. The first is approximately a mile south. It's a rocky stream bed aprroximately 20 yds wide; kind of doubtful. The second, a few hundred yards farther north, is more promising. It was running full force when I passed by. There's also the spring at Licklog Gap, where you can pick up water before leaving (it's a dank dreary place otherwise). Hope this helps. Best of luck.

SD