PDA

View Full Version : Platy hose freezing in winter

vaporjourney
01-30-2007, 12:21
So after coming back from a frigid weekender in the Smokies (avg daytime temp in 20s), I had troubles I hadn't anticipated. I've read about blowing the water back into the hydration bladder to prevent freezing inside the tube. I did this, and water still froze inside. Apparently there are still small droplets that cling to the sides of the tube, these freeze, stopping water from flowing through. So what now? This may not happen when temps just hover in the low 30s below freezing, but when you go 20 below freezing, things freeze really quickly. I really don't want to have to add an insulated cover to the tube, but may if it's necessary...

Same problem with the bite valve. even if water is blown back, water freezes inside, causing the valve to crack. I've gone through 2 of them by now, and may just stop using hydration systems in the winter since I'm getting sick of replacing the tubes. I may try keeping the mouthpiece tucked under my strap against my body, to keep it warmer. this would be uncomfortable, but may work. ideas/advice?

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 12:23
don't use it in winter?

Ender
01-30-2007, 12:56
I think someone makes a neoprene sleeve for the hose, but that only slows down the freezing of the hose, it doesn't stop it. Best bet is to use a normal water bottle during the really cold months.

hobbit
01-30-2007, 12:59
while xc skiing I usually put the bladder and little backpack thing underneath my jacket... but my bladders backpack is tiny so my recomendation would be to (if you use the little backpack thing just wear it underneath your jacket) or if you have a normal sized backpack make sure the bladder is as close to your body as possible to keep it warm and run the sleeve under your vesst/jacket etc.

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 13:04
I gave up on keeping my hydration hose from freezing during my sobo and just used soda bottles for the last month. In fact, I've pretty much gone back to just using soda bottles and a holster all the time now.

iliketacos
01-30-2007, 13:20
Hey, I had the same problem, I was doing a training hike in about 16 deg. F a few weeks ago when I noticed my hose on my 2L bag had froze-it kinda freaked me out as I'm a bit new to all this. What has helped is 2-things (#1 is probably not practical for long distance hikes or maybe it is if you boil water in the morning):

1. Filled the bag with warm water before hike,

2. I forced myself to take sips every now and then to keep the water flowing.

This worked fine on a approx. 3 hour hike in about 18-20 degrees F. Here's a thought I had, I guess you could take the frozen hose and dip the business end of it into your water bag which should unfreeze it, it may take some time but I assume it should work. Now if you start out with a bag of warm water and have a detachable hose like I do then you should be good to go with that technique. Just a thought.

vipahman
01-30-2007, 13:33
My Platy has worked well into the teens.

1. I use Gatorade powder and add it to my water. I'm not sure how much this contributes to lowering the freezing point.
2. I put the bladder in the hydration sleeve of my pack. Since it's close to my back, body heat keeps the bladder much warmer than outside temp.
3. I route the hose out of the pack and inside my jacket. It's not insulated and it never froze. About 9" of hose stays exposed and I might add some piping insulation from Home Depot or Lowes in the future.

The only times it's been a problem for me is when I don't do any of the above.

PJ 2005
01-30-2007, 14:52
bladders are nice in concept, but i don't think they're all that useful in practice.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 14:56
bladders are nice in concept, but i don't think they're all that useful in practice.

agree. just another gadget that hikers think they need

Footslogger
01-30-2007, 14:58
Same problem with the bite valve. even if water is blown back, water freezes inside, causing the valve to crack. I've gone through 2 of them by now, and may just stop using hydration systems in the winter since I'm getting sick of replacing the tubes. I may try keeping the mouthpiece tucked under my strap against my body, to keep it warmer. this would be uncomfortable, but may work. ideas/advice?

=====================================

Blow the water completely out of the hose/bite valve and back into the bladder. Put the bladder somewhere that it will be somewhat protected from the cold/freezing air (clothes bag/ sleeping bag etc)

'Slogger

The Solemates
01-30-2007, 15:55
the only way to keep water unfrozen during extended cold winter trips is to keep in close to your body. bladder lines freeze in less than an hour. water bottles freeze in a matter of a few hours. on the rare winter occasion that merits it, i keep a water bottle in my chest pocket. but most backpackers dont see temperatures like that.

Frosty
01-30-2007, 17:21
=====================================

Blow the water completely out of the hose/bite valve and back into the bladder. Put the bladder somewhere that it will be somewhat protected from the cold/freezing air (clothes bag/ sleeping bag etc)

'SloggerNote that you can't do this very many times. The air goes into the bladder and stays there. If you blow into it frequently, you will pressurize the bladder. If the pressure gets much higher than ambient, it will leak through the weakest pressure-containment point wihc is the bite valve.

The air is on top of the bladder and water at the bottom, so the pressure witin the bladder will be relieved by WATER flowing back into the tube you just evacuated by blowing air into. Blow enough air into the hose and water will dribble (or squirt) out of the bite valve even when it is hanging free.

You can try this in your kitchen. Make a squirt hose out of you drinking tube.

Footslogger
01-30-2007, 17:37
[quote=Frosty;313119]Note that you can't do this very many times. The air goes into the bladder and stays there. If you blow into it frequently, you will pressurize the bladder.

==================================

True ...I always "burped" my bladder the next morning before hiking with it. Only pushed enough air into the tube to clear the water for overnight.

'Slogger

rainmaker
01-30-2007, 22:31
When winter camping in the Smokies and surrounding mountains, we carry Nalgene bottles and placed them in an OR canteen parka upside down. If carrying an extra canteen, place it in your pack under some pile. Oh yeah, forget the water filter. Mine froze on Mt. Sterling while pumping water. It was very, very cold and very, very beautiful.

Frosty
01-30-2007, 22:49
[quote=Frosty;313119]Note that you can't do this very many times. The air goes into the bladder and stays there. If you blow into it frequently, you will pressurize the bladder.

==================================

True ...I always "burped" my bladder the next morning before hiking with it. Only pushed enough air into the tube to clear the water for overnight.

'SloggerYeah, I learned the hard way about pressurization when my bite valve squirted water all down my from in windy 20* weather. Eventually I just stopped using the bladder in cold weather.

orangebug
01-30-2007, 23:35
Bottles kept against your body is the way to go in cold weather. Gatorade and other electrolyte powders should help, but add to an already heavy winter pack.

TurkeyBacon
01-31-2007, 12:00
Ok I must admit that when I first saw this post, I mistakenly read it as "panty hose freezing in winter". After I re-read it, it make much more sence.
1, switch to a cammel back bit valve. The 90 degree bend is great and the bite valve is indestructable, not to mention simply better.
2, blow air into the tube but not enough to inflate it. If you do inflate it, bend over till air reaches the other end and suck it out.
3, drink more often, which is a good thing to do in winter anyway.
TB

MrHappy
01-31-2007, 15:51
Yep. Blow just enough air to fill the hose. But in really cold weather, you're better off with a Nalgene wrapped in a spare sock anyways. Also, you can put boiling water in a nalgene and keep it in your bag with you at night. This will keep you warm and prevent your water bottles from freezing. A platypus will leak if you roll around on it too much.

vaporjourney
02-01-2007, 16:23
all good posts. does anyone know how long the Platy insulaed sleeves can keep freezing at bay? assuming you are drinking every 30 minutes or so (stay hydrated to stay warm!), and the sleeve does its job, it seems that the water moving every so often would prevent freezing. perhaps the insulated sleeve really doesn't help all that much, I'm not sure.

I really like the idea of running the hose thru a jacket, I may have to consider this, although it would probably be sort of a hassle.

I disagree with the hydration bladders being overrated...I find they are one of the most useful pieces of equipment i own. love being able to take a sip without looking/stopping. although perhaps having some loops on the shoulder straps to hold a bottle would be easier than reaching around back to get to the side of the pack.

vaporjourney
02-01-2007, 16:40
I also want to add a question about Platy's getting leaks after rolling around on them too much, which MrHappy mentioned. I've been using my Platy as a pillow, for the dual use of neck support, and stopping water from freezing. On the last hike, water started to leak at night for the first time. Wondering if the cause is because I always sleep on it? I also typically fill the 3L platy nearly full so that I won't have to filter the next morning. Perhaps I have it so full that it is placing even more pressure on the bag?

superfly-SY
02-01-2007, 16:46
During my climb up Acooncagua I had no problem with freezing in -30F temps. I had the backpack style insulated holder for it and I put it on backwards so that it was in front of me. then put my pack on normally. Just the body heat underneath my jacket was plenty to keep it from freezing. I also used a neoprene sheath for the tube and tucked it inside when I was not drinking.

I always carry both nalgenes and bladder bags when outdoors. It's just my personal preference.