PDA

View Full Version : Many nights below 20*?

vaporjourney
01-30-2007, 12:27
After getting back from a couple of nights in the Smokies where temps stayed in low 20s/Teen, and then a low of 4*!!!, I'm re-evaluating the way I camp in cold cold weather. Many things become a challenge, and the most important of which is staying warm while sleeping. How often do temps get this low while on a thru-hike, if starting mid-March? I was expecting some cold nights in the trip thru the Smokies, but wondering if it gets this cold very often elsewhere.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 12:30
Many things become a challenge, and the most important of which is staying warm while sleeping.

don't sleep in shelters. stay in a tent much, much warmer

Spooner
01-30-2007, 12:43
i live in marion, va. near the trail and it's not uncommon for mt. rogers and whitetop to have cold temps and snow into april. start warm, stay warm.

carolina trekker
01-30-2007, 12:48
I emphasise L.W's comment. Tent is much warmer. Stay out of the shelters on cold nights.

rafe
01-30-2007, 12:53
A tent will be warmer. Smaller tent warmer still.

soulrebel
01-30-2007, 13:07
The Smokies are exceptionally cold. Few nights in the teens. Layering is important--especially for your head. Think about adding a balaclava under your knit cap and then putting your jacket's hood over that--etc...

Hike longer into the day w/ frequent breaks and hot beverages--Several times I've hiked in pretty miserable conditions because shelter's are colder and I needed to get to a lower elevation out of the clouds.

Eat some butter, or cheese before bed-or whatever fat you can find--it'll help. Stay hydrated---man beer is calling cya--- 12pm!

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 13:20
I'm not sure when you're planning on leaving, but if I were starting a NOBO, I'd buck the recent trend of starting in March. There was a recent poll on WB where about 70% of the hikers planned to start before April 1. This jives with the data that the ATC has collected. It looks like many hikers are just moving the "bubble" back a few weeks in trying to gain a little breathing room, only to find themselves in crappier weather for weeks at a time.

Leaving around the traditional date of April 1 still gives you plenty of time to make Katahdin in the fall, gets you out of the worst of the storms, and from the looks of things - gets you mostly out of the mob at the beginning. You can probably get away with carrying a little less clothing weight as well, but don't ditch the winter bag until you get past Mt. Rogers.

In conclusion of this diatribe, leave April 1-10th, and you'll have far less nights in the teens and 20's to deal with.

Jim Adams
01-30-2007, 14:10
Hiked in 1990 and in 2002. Had at least 2 days of snow on each hike. One day in late March, one day in early April both years--both times in Georgia. April 1st start will probably not totally keep you out of snow. Used a 20* bag my first year, had only 3 cold nights on the whole trip. Used a 0* bag in 2002 from Springer to Damascus then switched to a 32*---switched back to 0* at Glencliff, NH. No cold nights!
geek

peter_pan
01-30-2007, 17:42
don't sleep in shelters. stay in a tent much, much warmer

Even a well insulated hammock is warmer than a shelter.

pan

vaporjourney
02-01-2007, 16:27
I will definitely be using my Henry Shires tartpent, since I really don't like sleeping in the shelters anyway. I know that this helps keep warm a bit, but still wanted to know how often to expect weather in the teens.

I really do like the recommendation of starting on April 1, which was my initial plan, but now I've moved it up to March 17th. I'm planning to tack on the IAT as well, and I need to make sure that I can get up thru quebec to be hunting season, and extreme cold up there. For most other hikers that will stop at Katahdin, I definitely think that starting is March is overkill.

superfly-SY
02-01-2007, 16:50
Since you lose most of your body heat through the cold ground it is a very good idea to make sure your insulated there. A cheap closed cell pad weighs nothing. A therma-rest weighs a bit more but takes up very little room. I used a 15F bag until Damascus and also a Army poncho liner. worked out great.

Marta
02-01-2007, 17:01
A Tarptent is not necessarily all that much warmer than a shelter, if you pitch it with all the ventilation screening extended. There are some things you can do to make it warmer, though:
Select a site where you are in the lee of something big, like a ridgeline.
Pitch the tent on thick bed of leaves, instead of on hard-packed dirt.
Pitch the sides low to the ground and pile dry leaves up around the edges.

Cheers!
Marta/Five-Leaf

Retriever
02-01-2007, 21:25
Marta - what about condensation? Thanks, Retriever (Tom)

Marta
02-01-2007, 22:02
Marta - what about condensation? Thanks, Retriever (Tom)

When it's that cold (well below freezing), I don't worry about condensation as much as about keeping warm. I never have completely block off the mesh--only the mesh along the sides. There's still lots of ventilation at the head and the foot of the Tarptent, though I do bring the "awnings" down as low to the ground as possible to further block air movement. I set up under heavy tree cover, which seems to help limit condensation.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frosty
02-01-2007, 22:05
I'm planning to tack on the IAT as well, and I need to make sure that I can get up thru quebec to be hunting season, and extreme cold up there. Awesome. Are you keeping a journal? I don't know much about the IAT.

Retriever
02-02-2007, 08:38
Marta - Thanks for the advice. Retriever

spittinpigeon
02-02-2007, 08:57
The smokies were meant to be night hiked! Keep warm by sleeping during the day.

wilderness bob
02-02-2007, 09:19
Vaopjourney,

It may be hard to predict just how many cold days you will experience however, you can develop a gear plan. I recommend starting out with the equipment to handle a chilly night right from the start. Once you are on the trail you will know when to send the insulated stuff home. Personally I kept my +20 until Damascus, switched to a lighter +35 bag there and switched back to the +20 just before entering the Whites in NH. No matter what you do remember this, you can always unzip or take an insulation layer off if you are to warm, you cannot put it on if it is not in your pack.

Good luck, WB