PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the Skyline Drive Through the SNP

Fannypack
01-30-2007, 12:36
http://www.patc.net/history/archive/skyline.html

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 12:40
there's a museum at the big meadows wayside that shows a short film of the history of skyline drive. worth watching

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 14:08
+1 on the film. I love learning about the human history of our parks.

freefall
01-30-2007, 21:09
I love the location of Hoover's Rapidan Camp. I go back there every time I'm in the park. Perfect location- quiet back there if you go when they haven't driven a bus load of touron down there. You can walk the gravel road but I usually take the horse trail- a little more challenging but more scenic.

Ditto on the movie at Big Meadows.

Blissful
01-31-2007, 21:16
Yeah, just don't get into this with some of the locals here who were kicked out of their homes when SNP was created (how they survived though is beyond me when one sees the terrain. Guess that's why many made peach brandy).

Also, one needs to read about Skyland as well - interesting stories about the founder of that mtn resort - George Pollock - and his snake shows.

BlackCloud
02-01-2007, 10:16
George Pollock's book about Skyland and the founding days of Shenandoah is a hoot.

Sorry I don't have the title, but the book's in storage.....

Fannypack
02-01-2007, 10:46
George Pollock's book about Skyland and the founding days of Shenandoah is a hoot.

Sorry I don't have the title , but the book's in storage.....
i agree, my book is in storage also....

tuff life in them thar hollows over in Madison & Greene counties (not on the ridge, east of it, but many of these men were acquaintances of Pollock)