PDA

View Full Version : Need thru-hikers to pre-test survey

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 14:16
All,

I'm working on a study to get my butt motivated to finish up my PhD and would need some help. I'm going to be looking at anyone who has attempted a thru-hike, whether they finished it or not, and looking at a number of variables regarding gear, start times, motives, and that sort of thing.

I'm a ways out for the final product, but I'd like to do a pre-test with about a dozen folks to look at format, question design, time to complete, etc. This is going to be an online-only survey, and I'm hoping to have the final survey up and collecting data by late May.

Either respond here, or PM me directly if you have any questions or would like to participate.

Thanks,

J. Swank, MEGA 2000

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 14:25
I'm currently on an "extended hiatus", but assuming I actually finish, it'll be in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. I'm playing with the idea of moving my coursework over and just getting a second master's degree though.

The Solemates
01-30-2007, 15:57
we'll participate, but i'll tell you beforehand that we will be an outlier.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2007, 15:57
If I can help with anything, let me know.

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 17:05
I expect there to be a bunch of outliers that are going to have to be worked out. I did ny master's thesis on AT long-distance hikers, and about drove my commitee nuts explaining blue blazing, section hiking, flip-flopping, and all that stuff. I'd hate to go into studying our group cold and have to figure all that out.

Thanks,

-J Swank

Tipper
01-30-2007, 17:24
Feel free to contact me.

hammock engineer
01-30-2007, 18:03
I'm in if you need one more. I leave mid March if you want to get some data before I leave.

It might be a good idea to get your data before, once during, then after. I think that if I gave you my thoughts before I start after I finish, my experiences and thoughts from finishing would cloud the pre-hike data.

Johnny Swank
01-30-2007, 18:08
Yeah - I'm playing with how to deal with that. It'd be cool to do a pretest (hike) / posttest (hike) thing, but since I'm doing this on my own dime, I'm probably going to have to get everyone's survey done after they've attempted the trail. Depending on what kind of response rate I get, I may collect data again in the fall after the NOBO finish.

I'd really like to get a fair amount of SOBO's involved as well for compartive purposes. Granted, there's only like 3 of us, but I think it would be some cool data to see.

Nameless
01-30-2007, 22:28
I'd love to participate. I attempted a SOBO June 2005, made it to Stratton. I am starting a NOBO attempt March 1st of this year that I am feeling good about :)

Pink

MarcnNJ
01-31-2007, 11:57
Feel free to contact me as well...thruhiked nobo in 06...

handlebar
01-31-2007, 23:07
I'll be glad to participate as well.

TurkeyBacon
02-01-2007, 12:10
count me in if you like...
game02

Knees
02-04-2007, 13:00
I'm happy to help.

K0OPG
02-04-2007, 17:05