PDA

View Full Version : Arlo - Rest in Peace

mythicyeti
01-30-2007, 18:28
I sectioned hiked from Springer through Virgina in 2000 with my pal Arlo. He was a dedicated hiking buddy who never complained about being sore, was always the first to crash at camp and the first to leave the tent in the a.m. He was famous for sneaking a little extra food and excellent at cleaning up after dinner.

In all of his 8+ years I'm sure he was happiest on our 2 month adventure. He struggled through many health issues near the end but never stopped wanting to go for a hike.

I'd like to thank all of the friends he made on the trail like the section hikers who shared their beef jerkey, the folks who put up with him at The Place and the animal chiropractor who gave Arlo and adjustment.

Take care buddy.

Woody

rafe
01-30-2007, 18:29
Kerwillikers, for a second you had me worried about Arlo Guthrie. Sorry about your dog.

Tractor
01-30-2007, 18:35
..He's off to a much higher trail...

mythicyeti
01-30-2007, 18:38
Kerwillikers, for a second you had me worried about Arlo Guthrie. Sorry about your dog.

Oops...That is his namesake. I'll see if I can edit the post. Thanks.

Boat Drinks
01-30-2007, 18:39
I'm sorry for the loss of your buddy. Dogs are truly a gift to us all.

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-30-2007, 18:42
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gifRainbow Bridge http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gif

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Fiddleback
01-30-2007, 20:55
mythicyeti/woody --

I've been blessed by a couple 'best friends', one of which was a tremendous hiker and backpacker. I understand your feelings and your lost.

Frolicking Dinosaurs --

Thanks for your post. I'll share it with my Lady tonight and I know both sets of eyes will be watered...

FB

peanuts
01-30-2007, 23:02
woody, my deepest sympathy. i feel your pain. arlo is in good hands..

ANHINGA
01-31-2007, 00:00
Perhaps the most elegaic poem for a departed pet is this one by Robinson Jeffers. For Arlo as well as Haig:

The House Dog's Grave(for Haig, an English Bulldog)
I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you,
If you dream a moment,
You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking-pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no,
All the nights through I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read‚
And I fear often grieving for me‚
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying.
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope that when you are lying
Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.

No, dears, that's too much hope:
You are not so well cared for as I have been.
And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided...
But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.

No Belay
03-07-2007, 10:49
Woody, As you know a Arlo will always exist here on earth as part of your soul but the really awesome aspect of your love for each other is that you will always exist in heaven as part of his soul. Hope you find a new Bud real soon.

Savor Happy!

leeki pole
03-07-2007, 11:08
My deepest sympathy goes out to you. Arlo's waiting for you at the Bridge. Take comfort in that, and be strong. :sun

1Pint
03-07-2007, 14:26
I'm so sorry about Arlo. I recently had to allow my dog Half-Pint to move on to his next journey and it's been tough.

Best wishes,
Laura

Grinder
03-07-2007, 14:30
please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of your dog. A pet is an important part of the lives of those who chose to keep them. I know he will be missed.

Think about the happy memories and believe that he IS in a better place.

MIles of 'Smiles
Tom

NICKTHEGREEK
03-07-2007, 14:47
May his memory last forever.

frieden
03-09-2007, 01:38
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Arlo. We will always cherish and remember our four-legged friends, who were always there for us, and accepted our love so readily. Take comfort in your memories.

Two Speed
03-09-2007, 06:49
Rest in peace, Arlo.

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 08:06
Remember the good times and the funny times. It sounds like you took great care and gave Arlo a wonderful life. They are bundles of unconditional love in fur suits. Dogs are cool.

moondoggy
03-09-2007, 13:08
Please accept our sincerest sympathy in the loss of your friend....We lost our dog, Patches about 3 weeks ago, after almost 12yrs......I miss him every day....he was my best pal