PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Marmot Pounder?

Earl Grey
01-30-2007, 19:15
Ive been looking at this bag for my thruhike but reviews are scant. It seems like it would be a nice summer bag and you cant beat 1lb. Combined with a thermarest prolite 3 my whole sleep system would be just under 2 lbs!

Thumper 2006
01-30-2007, 19:58
The pounder will not be sufficient for the start of your hike. You will freeze your keester off. However, It will be great to switch to it once the weather warms up. Depending on the start of your hike I would say switch to it around northern VA or maybe even southern PA.

khaynie
01-30-2007, 20:15
I have one. Carried it at the start of my 05 SOBO which was in the 1st part of June. On the nights it dipped down into the mid 40's, I had to put on my jacket in conjunction with the sleeping bag. I was ok...but I wasn't near as snug as my wife who was carrying a 20F. I belive I ditched it for my winter bag in Pearisburg, VA...

My final verdict: It was perfect for temps at 50 or above. Very compressible and only a pound. I didn't/don't (and don't for any of my bags) use it's stuff sack or compression sack. Definitley a good summer bag.

Earl Grey
01-30-2007, 20:33
I will be starting in mid-late May at Harpers Ferry, according to weather.com average the average nighttime low for HF is 48 and it will only get warmer as summer progresses and I keep going north. Ill have to think about this one.

Jester2000
01-30-2007, 20:46
It's not specifically for marmots, but I have a hammer that works pretty well.

bigcranky
01-30-2007, 20:57
As long as you have some sort of warm layer you can wear to bed in a freak cold snap, you'll be fine in the Pounder. Even just a microfleece top would be fine.

Note, however, that the record lows for HF in mid-May are in the 20s. So check the forecast right before you leave, and choose your bag at the last minute. We hiked thru Shenandoah a couple of years ago in June, and they were having record heat -- and I sure wished I had brought a lighter bag.

Skidsteer
01-30-2007, 21:20
It's not specifically for marmots, but I have a hammer that works pretty well.

Marmot pounder (http://www.whackthemole.com/Logos/Wack%20the%20Pack%20Logo%206-3-05e2.jpg).

Not really warm, but you won't wake up for a while.

Jester2000
01-30-2007, 21:21
Marmot pounder (http://www.whackthemole.com/Logos/Wack%20the%20Pack%20Logo%206-3-05e2.jpg).

Not really warm, but you won't wake up for a while.

Ha!

(um, all apologies to the serious folk here)

Phreak
01-30-2007, 22:26
I was stoked about the weight and size but quickly learned the temp rating is a joke. I'd use it in the summertime but it didn't cut it for me in most conditions. Just my $0.02 worth.

Earl Grey
01-31-2007, 00:06
I'll probaly go with a Kelty Light Year 3D 45 then. Only 12 oz more and im sure itll work good.

RAT
01-31-2007, 01:04
I had a north face blue kazoo 20F down bag for many many yrs, 2lbs or so, was awesome, replaced it with a Marmot 20F down bag, about 2 lbs more or less, love it too. I dont think I would start a thru hike with anything less.

RAT

bigcranky
01-31-2007, 09:18
I had the Kelty Light Year 45 in down, and the rating was *extremely* optimistic. It was a nice bag, don't get me wrong, but if the temps dropped at all below 50 or 55, I froze. (And I am a very warm sleeper.) The extra 12 ounces is probably in shell fabric weight, not insulation.

Take the Pounder, just make sure you have something light and warm to wear around camp and in the bag if the temps drop below 50. Enjoy.

handlebar
01-31-2007, 11:27
I'll probaly go with a Kelty Light Year 3D 45 then. Only 12 oz more and im sure itll work good.

I carried a pounder and so did Veto. We both found it fine from Partnership all the way to the Whites where we switched back to 15* rated bags. We also both noticed that it didn't breath very well and on hotter nites we sweated in it. I carried and used a silk liner. If it was too hot for the bounder, then I just slept in the liner atop an open pounder that I could pull over myself if it got to cold during the nite. The liner also extended the range of the pounder a bit.

Mocs123
01-31-2007, 19:30
If you are looking for a one pound bag, I would recomend the Western Mountaneering Highlite or the Marmot Atom.

VictoriaM
01-31-2007, 21:36
I have the women's version of the Pounder + and really like it. It's a few ounces heavier, has a lower temp rating, overall a great bag. I had it out in well below freezing temps recently and it performed great.