PDA

View Full Version : New to forums and trail.

OrionTheRanger
01-30-2007, 20:11
Hello. I am only 14, and wish to hike the trail when I am older. I know that is a long way away(4-7 years) but I want to know what I am getting into. I put together this list of supplies in school and I wanted to know what actual hikers think of it. Here is is:
3-4 changes of clothes
Spark Rocks
Matches
Compass
Rain Gear
Snow Gear
Walking Stick
Constuctable Fishing Pole
Fishing Gear
Fishing licence
Bowie Knife
Hand Gun+Ammo
Permit for concealed weapon
$200-$300
Lantern/Flashlight
Whistle (Horn?)
Bugspray
Sleeping Bag
Small Tent
Camera+spare film
Watch
Rope
Guitar+Guitar supplies(spare strings, tuner, etc.)
Canteen
Pot and Pan
For Food I was thinking along these basics:
Beef Jerky
Waybread
Fruit
Dried Fruit
Energy Bars
Candy Bars
That is all I have for food off the top of my head.
What do you think? Not bad for a 14 year old with spare time in study hall, eh? I plan to hike with 3 other people, but i'm not sure how serious they are about it. All advice you can give me is very much appreciated.

Skidsteer
01-30-2007, 20:20
Ahh! Another Tolkien fan.

Welcome to WB, OriontheRanger.

cannonball
01-30-2007, 20:21
My advice is to make better use of your time in study hall.

OrionTheRanger
01-30-2007, 20:24
My advice is to make better use of your time in study hall.

I have two study halls, and I finished all my homework.

Well met, Skidsteer. In case of anyone who sees this and thinks I am just some Lord of the Rings nerd wanting to be a Ranger like Aragorn, I'm not. I have been into hiking and the outdoors all my life. I have been into Lord of the Rings about half of a year.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 20:38
Hello. I am only 14, and wish to hike the trail when I am older. I know that is a long way away(4-7 years) but I want to know what I am getting into. I put together this list of supplies in school and I wanted to know what actual hikers think of it. Here is is:
3-4 changes of clothes
Spark Rocks
Matches
Compass
Rain Gear
Snow Gear
Walking Stick
Constuctable Fishing Pole
Fishing Gear
Fishing licence
Bowie Knife
Hand Gun+Ammo
Permit for concealed weapon
$200-$300
Lantern/Flashlight
Whistle (Horn?)
Bugspray
Sleeping Bag
Small Tent
Camera+spare film
Watch
Rope
Guitar+Guitar supplies(spare strings, tuner, etc.)
Canteen
Pot and Pan
Beef Jerky
Waybread
Fruit
Dried Fruit
Energy Bars
Candy Bars
That is all I have for food off the top of my head.
What do you think? Not bad for a 14 year old with spare time in study hall, eh? I plan to hike with 3 other people, but i'm not sure how serious they are about it. All advice you can give me is very much appreciated.

you got it covered. don't listen to any advice. just go and see what happens.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2007, 20:39
Orion:

First off, welcome to Whiteblaze.

If you check out the website and do some searches, you'll find all sorts of Gear lists. No two people ever carry entirely the same stuff, so if you look at a bunch of different lists, you'll get all sorts of ideas.

But you're off to a good start. Two quick comments: You definitely don't need guns & ammo on the A.T., and a Bowie is a lot of knife. Something a whole lot smaller will do fine. Also, most folks don't carry 3-4 changes of clothes but get by with a lot less. And don't forget your maps!

If you go to www.apppalachiantrail.org, you'll find all sorts of info on the Trail, as well as all sorts of books, guides, maps, and other stuff. They will also send you, for free, a pretty good info packet for prospective thru-hikers. Good luck!

TJ aka Teej
01-30-2007, 23:14
:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Orion!

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2007, 23:42
Correct! And thank you.

Incidentally, the old address, which is www.atconf.org still works.

SalParadise
01-31-2007, 00:15
a big welcome to WhiteBlaze.

your gear list is a good start. you'll be amazed at how little thru-hikers really end up carrying with them and how far it is from the usual comforts of home. but at the same time how getting by on the very basics is so much a part of the enjoyment of it all.

There are some great AT books out there, too, like Model T's or On the Beaten Path, or dare I say it, A Walk In The Woods.

always great to meet another hiker. good times.

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 09:24
You might try doing some section hikes with a group to test out your equipment.. At about your age I hiked 50 miles at Philmont New Mexico with the Boy Scouts.. Keep reading Tolkein....

carolina trekker
01-31-2007, 09:35
Join a Boy Scout troop that does alot of high adventure activities. That will get you in tune real quick. You will also have alot of fun.

OrionTheRanger
01-31-2007, 17:36
Well I considered Boyscouts, but decided that wasn't for me. I would prefer to explore the forest on my own terms and at my own pace. My dad talked about going to Athens Ohio, where the hills are not much smaller then the Smokeys, and I was going to do a lot of hiking there. And I also was thinking about going a second time with my hiking partners.

Nice to see WhiteBlaze is a good community without "bots". You know, those idiots who are just trying to annoy the heck out of you.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 17:46
Nice to see WhiteBlaze is a good community without "bots". You know, those idiots who are just trying to annoy the heck out of you.

hey. i resemble that remark! nyuk nyuk nyuk

bfitz
01-31-2007, 17:55
How much does your pack weigh? Lot's of folks try to make it as light as possible for carrying long distance, so whittling away non-essentials is a key focus. Of couse anything can be considered an essential in someone's mind. There are lots of threads about this. You can't carry a gun in several places along the AT legally, license or no. A buddy of mine had his taken by rangers in the Smokies after someone noticed it and reported him. He got it back but had to go into town to collect it and might have paid a fine (I can't remember...). Lots of threads and opinions about this, but statistacally speaking, a town or city is more dangerous than the AT, so that's where you'll need your gun. If you don't carry one there, you certainly won't need one on the AT. All you need for hiking is a good knife you can get your hands on quickly and mabye firecrackers to scare off animals like dogs and bears if you worry about that sort of thing, mabye some mace for when your hitchhiking into town, even this is excessive, although I carry it.

OrionTheRanger
01-31-2007, 18:08
How much does your pack weigh? Lot's of folks try to make it as light as possible for carrying long distance, so whittling away non-essentials is a key focus. Of couse anything can be considered an essential in someone's mind. There are lots of threads about this. You can't carry a gun in several places along the AT legally, license or no. A buddy of mine had his taken by rangers in the Smokies after someone noticed it and reported him. He got it back but had to go into town to collect it and might have paid a fine (I can't remember...). Lots of threads and opinions about this, but statistacally speaking, a town or city is more dangerous than the AT, so that's where you'll need your gun. If you don't carry one there, you certainly won't need one on the AT. All you need for hiking is a good knife you can get your hands on quickly and mabye firecrackers to scare off animals like dogs and bears if you worry about that sort of thing, mabye some mace for when your hitchhiking into town, even this is excessive, although I carry it.

Well thats why I put down a bowie knife. I would carry it at my side and have it for helpful situations and protection. It is a lot of knife, but that may very well save my life.

Updated list:
2-3 changes of clothes--Spark Rocks--Matches--Compass--Rain Gear--Snow Gear--Walking Stick--Constuctable Fishing Pole--Fishing Gear--Bowie Knife--$200 to $300--Hatchet--Lantern/Flashlight+Spare Batteries--Whistle(Horn?)--Bugspray--Sleeping Bag--Personal Tent--Camera+spare film--Watch--Rope--Map--Guitar+Guitar supplies(spare strings, tuner, etc.)--Canteen--Pot and Pan--First Aid Kit--Cell Phone

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 18:46
Well I considered Boyscouts, but decided that wasn't for me. I would prefer to explore the forest on my own terms and at my own pace. My dad talked about going to Athens Ohio, where the hills are not much smaller then the Smokeys, and I was going to do a lot of hiking there. And I also was thinking about going a second time with my hiking partners.

Orion ---

Scouting isn't for everyone, but there are many other good groups that are very involved in the outdoors and can actively help you learn about backpacking. Perhaps the best is The Sierra Club, which has chapters in every state, and organizes hikes (day hikes) as well as longer backpacking trips (weekends and more) for free or very modest prices, in almost every area. They welcome all experience levels, too, and have people it looks like you'd enjoy.

http://sierraclub.com/

As for Southern Ohio, there are some wonderful trails along the Scioto River, about 50 miles north of Portsmouth, and the "Buckey Trail" is one of America's longest - almost 1400 miles - that covers every part of Ohio, so you're not far from it where ever you area.

http://www.buckeyetrail.org/

Good luck...hope to see you out on the trail one day.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 18:53
[quote=OrionTheRanger;313856]Well thats why I put down a bowie knife. I would carry it at my side and have it for helpful situations and protection. It is a lot of knife, but that may very well save my life.

Orion ---

You're not likely to need a "Bowie knife" for protection when backpacking, and in many places it is illegal to carry a sheath knife with a blade as large as they are, especially until you are 18. In addition, knives like that can sometimes be considered "concealed weapons." Instead, what will be far more useful will be a good Swiss Army knife or "multi-tool" such as Leatherman or Gerber Tool. There are a lot of variations, but they are lighter and far more useful.

The Weasel

trlhiker
01-31-2007, 22:04
Welcome to Whiteblaze. From your list gid rid of: spark rocks, fishing pole and gear, bowie knife, hatchet, latern, guitar ans supplies, cateen(use plastic water bottles), Rope use sting instead, no need for a pan. Add a light weight stove and some freeze dried food like oodles of noodles or lipton dinners.

RAT
01-31-2007, 22:10
Welcome to WB OriontheRanger and good luck on your hike.

RAT (another Tolkien fan)

bfitz
01-31-2007, 22:25
A nice "ripper" size knife with a locking blade shoud take care of anything your bowie will, but still be a bit smaller and lighter, less conspicuous.

Krewzer
02-01-2007, 00:11
Hello. I am only 14, and wish to hike the trail when I am older. I know that is a long way away(4-7 years) but I want to know what I am getting into.

Waybread

Welcome "Ranger from the North."
I think it's pretty good thinking for a future Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker.

Where are you getting your "waybread" these days? I've never had it and would like to try it. I'm told "it is more strengthening than any food by men, and it is more pleasant than cram, by all accounts."

rafe
02-01-2007, 00:18
What were those elvish biscuits from LOTR? Lembas or something. I want one of those glowing phials also.

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 00:27
What were those elvish biscuits from LOTR? Lembas or something. I want one of those glowing phials also.

Yes it's Lembas bread (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15732.asp). :D

Doesn't the big grinning smiley(:D)look like Gollum when he lures Frodo into that cave with the big ass spider?

RAT
02-01-2007, 00:44
My friend BolDar makes and carries Lembas on every trip. Heavy but very good and very filling.

RAT

Blissful
02-01-2007, 00:46
Welcome!!! Glad to see you so interested. My 16 yr old (Paul Bunyan - on this list) will be going with me on our thru starting March 1st. Like seeing young people who want to get it away from the games and stuff to get out and hike. Good for you.

rafe
02-01-2007, 00:47
Yes it's Lembas bread (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15732.asp). :D

Now that's funny. Thanks for the link. Who knew?

OrionTheRanger
02-01-2007, 19:19
Where are you getting your "waybread" these days? I've never had it and would like to try it. I'm told "it is more strengthening than any food by men, and it is more pleasant than cram, by all accounts."

Bad wording. It is special bread that never goes stail and is basically justa big cracker. I have seen it on Survivor Man. He didnt call it that...I made the name. Guess I read ht ebook one to many times...I never intended to make some food a movie site gives the recipe for...

So much for a good first impression....:( Oh well. Not the first time I came off as an idiot...

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 19:32
Bad wording. It is special bread that never goes stail and is basically justa big cracker. I have seen it on Survivor Man. He didnt call it that...I made the name. Guess I read ht ebook one to many times...I never intended to make some food a movie site gives the recipe for...

So much for a good first impression....:( Oh well. Not the first time I came off as an idiot...

Not at all. We're just having fun. :)

Jan LiteShoe
02-01-2007, 20:05
Not at all. We're just having fun. :)

Indeed!
Fun is the raisin debt-ra (raison d'etre if you're also by chance studying French in study hall) of the AT thru-hiker.
You must PRACTICE, my son! Practice!
We will help.
:)
And welcome.
:welcome
PS Raisin debt-ra works well in GORP.

Jan LiteShoe
02-01-2007, 20:09
Indeed!

PS Raisin debt-ra works well in GORP.

It's WAAAAY more pleasant than cram, too!

OrionTheRanger
02-01-2007, 20:13
Fun is the raisin debt-ra (raison d'etre if you're also by chance studying French in study hall) of the AT thru-hiker.

Nope. No French. I don't even get offered a second language till next year. And I doubt I will take anything then. I am going to use the spot they give a second langauge class for NJROTC(Naval Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps). That right. I'm a Tolkien loving, guitar playing, AP hiking, fighter pilot-to-be.

Jan LiteShoe
02-01-2007, 20:37
Nope. No French. I don't even get offered a second language till next year. And I doubt I will take anything then. I am going to use the spot they give a second langauge class for NJROTC(Naval Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps). That right. I'm a Tolkien loving, guitar playing, AP hiking, fighter pilot-to-be.

Ah, young Orion, that was your chance for a robust, completely unserious, nonesensical FUN comeback.

But you have time. You will learn quickly, methinks.

PS Great juxtaposition of identities, BTW. You go, Ranger! Be who you are.

rafe
02-01-2007, 20:57
Orion, you keep referring to the "AP." What is that, exactly? Methinks the more common acronym is AT ???

Jan LiteShoe
02-01-2007, 22:00
Orion, you keep referring to the "AP." What is that, exactly?

Silly Rafe. Appalachian Pail!
http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/photos/appalachian_artifacts/4.html

You see Orion, we're all 14-year olds at heart.

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 22:06
I guessed Applied Physics.

OrionTheRanger
02-03-2007, 20:37
Bad typing habit. I always mistakenly put AP becuase of the many P's in Appalachian. Ok, only 2, but you get my point.