PDA

View Full Version : Trip Delay

partinj
01-30-2007, 22:50
Well when to the doctor to see about a cold i been fighting. But it turn out that i have Walking Pneumonia. I have to push my starting date back to March 3 2007 the doc said i should be good to go by then. Bad part is being in bed all the time told to stay home rest. all well noting i can do about it :(:(:(:datz

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2007, 23:35
Look at the good side:

*You'll be starting the trip healthy, which is important.
*You'll have more good company.
*You'll likelier have it a bit easier as far as weather is concerned. Even
starting just a week or two later can make a dramatic difference in
the cold and snow you'll be seeing.
*In a few months, you'll really look forward to lying in bed all day and
sleeping til two in the afternoon.

Your later departure isn't the end of the world!

Mountain Maiden
01-31-2007, 00:01
:welcome
Well when to the doctor to see about a cold i been fighting. But it turn out that i have Walking Pneumonia. I have to push my starting date back to March 3 2007 the doc said i should be good to go by then. Bad part is being in bed all the time told to stay home rest. all well noting i can do about it :(:datz

While I can understand and share in your disappoitment, you are already learning one of the lessons the Trail teaches you---"You gotta' roll with the flow!"

So, you'll start a little later--but you'll feel MUCH better. Rest while you can!

Hugs and Health,

Sunny aka Sunrise game 02 aka Cody Zamora :sun

Biloxi
01-31-2007, 01:19
hey partinj..sorry to here about you being sick.. but on the bright side it is better to start healthy, with a chance to finish rather then getting worse on the trail..I know the feeling, unfortunatly I had to have shoulder reconstruction in early january so..no hiking with weight for 16-20 months..talk about suck:mad: ..so now I am hopeing for a january 09 attempt..hope you get better soon good luck

the_iceman
01-31-2007, 05:54
Hey parting -

I am in the same boat. I waited too long to do all my check ups. I had a toe bothering me after shakedown hikes. I go in for surgery in just 3 hours which delays my start 4 weeks. I am now also doing a quick cataract surgery while recovering from the foot.

Better to find out now and treat it then to find out 4 weeks out. Better weather and more time to sort things out. Besides you can now read every post on this site while recovering. :D

Jaybird
01-31-2007, 06:15
Well when to the doctor to see about a cold i been fighting. But it turn out that i have Walking Pneumonia. I...........................................noting i can do about it

yea.....& that "BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU" is Hell too...i hear!:D

the trail will be there when you get ready!

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 09:20
I took lots of naps before my thru hike.. you will be well rested...

Blissful
01-31-2007, 11:16
Sorry to hear about that. I had a bad respiratory bug last month and took forever to get over it.

Now my back is bothering me. Pulled it somehow and it hurts. Not even sure how which is frustrating. Had problems carrying my pack yesterday. So taking the week off from that (even though I was gonna hike a trail in SNP today) but still plan to at least walk the neighborhood.

Probably other thru hikers in the same boat with stuff bugging them, etc. I hate it b/c I feel like I can't get ready physically - like walking with my pack. I only have a month to go.

So I'll head to the store to buy veggies to dry in my dryer. Sigh. And pray a lot.

WhoAh
01-31-2007, 22:14
Well when to the doctor to see about a cold i been fighting. But it turn out that i have Walking Pneumonia.

Just today brought my 83 y/o Mother home from the hospital - she has been fighting Walking Pneumonia since mid December, and has been in the hospital for the past 11 days. She will be staying with me for a couple of weeks here in Central Florida before heading back up to Athens (Ga) where she works as a sorority house mother (she's at UGA, I'm a Gator... go figure... least she isn't at FSU...).

This is Pneumonia stuff is nothing to fool around with, so make sure you run the antiboitics for their full course and get your rest. I'm probably going to delay my early March start date for a week or two to make sure she's ok before I head out.

Hope to see ya on the trail.

mindi
02-02-2007, 01:28
I'm sorry to hear that you're sick, but hopefully you'll have plenty of company when you start out.

I'm in the same boat with some of you, I got my checkups but I've had a series of problems since then and it's impeded my attempts to get into shape for the trail. As a result, I'm really going to have to spend the first month or so of my hike getting in shape for the rest of my hike.

Askus3
02-04-2007, 16:40
I hiked with pneumonia the entire Mahoosuc Range. It sucked. Every little incline was a challenge and I just wanted it to end. The Mahoosuc Notch in the rain with 102+ fever is no fun. On top of this it rained every day, so when I got to Gorham, my ordeal was over. Thank God. Be well rested and let the illness run its course - don't rush it. Once your on the trail you are not going to want to come off because you are not up to the challenge due to not being 100% better.