PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about wind shirts?

Bryan Mc
01-30-2007, 23:23
im wondering if windshirts are really any use or just extra weight. a windshirt blocks wid when the wind would chill you. but my primaloft jacket has nylon on the outside which blocks the wind. if it is cold enough for the wind to make you cold, wouldnt you jsut want to put on your insulation layer anyway?

SalParadise
01-31-2007, 00:21
don't know how heavy the Marmot jacket is, but a real thin windshirt can be just the right amount of insulation to keep you warmer on cooler summer nights when you're at camp.

but generally there's not a whole lot of places that you're really exposed enough for it to be particularly windy. North Carolina, Grayson and NH are the only big spots that come to mind, but in general most people are still needing their winter-weather clothing then.

aroth87
01-31-2007, 01:13
I too doubted the usefulness of a windshirt, but I heard so much good stuff about them that I took the plunge and made a Liberty Ridge windshirt from thru-hiker.com. I couldn't be happier with it.
Its great for those really windy 50* days when an insulated jacket would have you sweating. Its great for slightly cooler days when wearing an insulated jacket would have your base layers soaked after a few minutes of hiking. It will extend the range of your current clothing system by cutting the wind and eliminating heat loss from the wind blowing across the skin (there's a fancy word for that, but they don't teach that to us in Circuits, maybe someone who's taken Thermo would know it). It will repel light rain.
All of these benefits for 3 oz and $30.
I own a Precip too, and its great in the rain, but a little overkill for the majority of the weather I encounter on a hike. My windshirt is (very light) insurance should I encounter cooler temperatures than I expected.

Adam

Whistler
01-31-2007, 02:24
They're awesome! They fit well in those "between" moments of weather. For example, it's too cold and windy for your t-shirt, but too warm for another heavier layer. Or, it's raining, but too hot or too intermittent to bother with the rain jacket. They're also fantastic for hot, buggy weather when they'll just bite through your shirt, but you'd suffocate in a rain coat.
They're also great for sleeping worn over a base layer. Basically they can be worn comfortably and safely over a broader range of temperature and conditions than other gear.

-Mark

MedicineMan
01-31-2007, 02:31
the Dragonfly by Patagonia....because it has a hood and after 16 miles of monsoon I was only warmwet from the inside from my own sweat...it wasnt advertised as waterproof but was 98% so.....its home is in my fannypack for little day hikes. I think they are most usefull for runners, usually the ultramarathon type.

PJ 2005
01-31-2007, 09:44
it's hard to get chilled while you're hiking, and at the end of the day, i liked throwing on my (regular) fleece and letting the wind blow away the sweat while i stayed warm. never had any desire for a windshirt...

chazmo
01-31-2007, 09:46
For three ounces you will have a garment that will extend the range of your clothing system in ways you won't appreciate unless you try one. I bring mine on EVERY trip I take--winter, summer, spring and fall.

Johnny Swank
01-31-2007, 10:35
I sort of split the difference by hiking in a long-sleeve supplex shirt and carrying a Marmot Driclime windshirt (http://sourcetosea.net/gear/reviews.html). I don't carry thermal underwear for most trips from April to October with this combination, so I've got a net weight savings overall.

soulrebel
01-31-2007, 10:37
My favorite piece of gear. Bug-proof, dries easily, not-to0-hot, not-to0 cold.

Peaks
01-31-2007, 10:44
It's all about layering. My Marmot windshirt gets a lot of use.

rswanson
01-31-2007, 13:46
im wondering if windshirts are really any use or just extra weight. a windshirt blocks wid when the wind would chill you. but my primaloft jacket has nylon on the outside which blocks the wind. if it is cold enough for the wind to make you cold, wouldnt you jsut want to put on your insulation layer anyway?
I didn't own one for years. Now that I've used one, I carry it on every hike.

A windshirt, if used correctly and with the appropriate clothing system is absolutely one of the most versatile pieces of clothing you can carry. They provide a high level of protection from convective heat loss and allow you to extend the comfort range of your hiking over a much broader range than a baselayer alone. If you get a true, quality, breathable windshirt made for active pursuits (not a lined windshirt or a full-blown rain jacket) you will be able to tackle these conditions while effectively managing prespiration. Hiking in even the most breathable rain gear to protect you from the wind is no where near as comfortable.

A windshirt will also afford some measure of protection from precipitation, often enough to allow you to continue hiking without stopping to put on rain gear. It will also be one of the lightest pieces of clothing you carry and not that expensive to boot, making it overall a very functional garmet. Some manufaturers to check out: Marmot, Montane, Golite, Wild Things, Patagonia. Look for simplicity of design and breathability over weather protection. A hood is nice.

GlazeDog
01-31-2007, 20:46
I love my windshirt!!!! Ditto most of the positive comments above. I've also hiked in rain with it. It doesn't keep me dry but it takes the edge out of the wind, dries extremely fast in camp, and let's me stay cool when exerting myself on a steep uphill. Staying cool can be important in a summer rain storm. But then you reach an exposed ridge and chills rip through you. Windshirts are perfect for these situations. And many more.

happy trails--
GlazeDog

WandererKMK
02-01-2007, 12:56
So would you recommend taking it in place of say a precip jacket? Right now I am in a gear-avalanche right now - have thermals underwear, fleece, wind shirt, precip - :eek:

aroth87
02-01-2007, 13:05
A windshirt won't totally replace a good waterproof jacket. That said...
I've only had my winshirt for about a month, but unless I was expecting heavy/constant rain I wouldn't bother bringing a rain jacket. It (windshirt) protects from light rain very well and dries fast. Plus a synthetic or wool shirt will dry fairly quickly if it does happen to get a little wet.
Granted I've never done a thru, only weekennd trips so far, and my experience with the windshirt is limited to a few day hikes and around campus. I'm merely offering my opinion.

Adam

rswanson
02-01-2007, 13:58
So would you recommend taking it in place of say a precip jacket? Right now I am in a gear-avalanche right now - have thermals underwear, fleece, wind shirt, precip - :eek:
Unless you can be sure that you won't see temps under 60 degrees then you'll need both. A windshirt is not intended to replace raingear, but rather to give you something to wear while hiking in cool/cold temps without building up a lot of prespiration. What are you carrying, exactly? I tend to leave fleece items behind, unless I'm hiking in extreme cold (say under 20 degrees, and even then there are better-functioning alternatives).

WandererKMK
02-01-2007, 14:05
That is a great question - I am trying to figure out what I absolutely need. I have a micropuff jacket for camp, under armour cold gear shirts that may or not make the cut, a capeliene long sleeve, a precip, a windshirt and some tee shirts. Also a variety of fleece but was thinking of not taking any since I am in love with my micropuff and it keeps me really warm. But I think you answered the question, as did others - it is an extender to the core clothing I am taking, so up to me if I want to carry it or not - not that much weight but it all adds up.

WandererKMK
02-01-2007, 14:06
Did I just hijack my first thread - sorry..

rswanson
02-01-2007, 14:32
That is a great question - I am trying to figure out what I absolutely need. I have a micropuff jacket for camp, under armour cold gear shirts that may or not make the cut, a capeliene long sleeve, a precip, a windshirt and some tee shirts. Also a variety of fleece but was thinking of not taking any since I am in love with my micropuff and it keeps me really warm. But I think you answered the question, as did others - it is an extender to the core clothing I am taking, so up to me if I want to carry it or not - not that much weight but it all adds up.
Assuming you're hitting the AT in March and hiking north, it sounds like you're set. I'd carry the Pat Cap l/s shirt, a spare t-shirt to sleep in, Pat Micropuff, Precip, and windshirt. I'd only bring the UA Cold Gear stuff if you're naturally cold-intolerant. A light baselayer and windshirt are all you're likely to need while hiking and the baselayer plus micropuff should be fine around camp.

WandererKMK
02-01-2007, 14:46
You rock - thanks so much!

Rawhide
02-02-2007, 22:48
I carry one with me now....

I used a pre-cip for my 05 thru-hike, and well after a few months of wear and rain, it just wasnt as waterproof as it once was... By the end, I used it to keep me warm when it rained... but not dry. Even when the Pre-Cip kept the rain out, I found it kept the sweat in. So, I was wet either way... So for my 1 month outing in '06 I changed things up a bit.

I picked up a Mountain Hardwear Phantom Anorak wind shirt/jacket thing. Weight for mine was 3.1 oz. Along with that picked up a Sport Shell jacket from ShedableShell weight. 2.9 oz. Both are windproof, and water resistant... The sportshell working fairly well. Both also dry much fast than my Pre-cip.

In a driving rain (got some hail too) I was wearing my MH Anorak. The only places that I got really wet were along my arms where my skin touched the fabric. the rest of me was still wet, but only slightly (kinda like a heavy dampness)

So, the result? Wet jacket, wet me. Same as when I wore the pre-cip in rain... However, i have another jacket that I can use that is still dry.

tha
02-03-2007, 20:39
Has anyone had experience with the icebreaker 260 weight merino wool undershirt? Sounds as though, under the proper wind shirt, they might make a great combo. I just bought the icebreaker and have had no experience in the elements with it yet, but I love its weight, warmth and feel. Maybe it won't breathe enough. Anyone know? Thanks.