PDA

View Full Version : How many pictures do you take?

Earl Grey
01-31-2007, 09:13
Ive been wondering if if its needed to download pictures from a digital camera every once in a while on the trail. The camera/capacity I have now would allow me to take over 2000 pictures, how many do you plan on taking?

Johnny Swank
01-31-2007, 09:28
What resolution is that? I took about 400 shots on a film camera on the AT, but with a digital I'd probably take at least 3,000 and edit a fair amount of them out.

Even if I had the capacity, I'd still take your card in to a Walmart, drugstore, or any other place on the trail that can burn a CD for you every once in awhile just in case your camera and card got damaged, lost, or stolen.

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 09:29
I took hundreds... the higher the resolution the more memory it takes up. I took over a thousand I think. I switched out the cards...

Footslogger
01-31-2007, 09:43
Ive been wondering if if its needed to download pictures from a digital camera every once in a while on the trail. The camera/capacity I have now would allow me to take over 2000 pictures, how many do you plan on taking?

===================================

Strongest argument for down/off loading your pics is to avoid the possibility of losing them.

My suggestion would be to take as many pics as you can, including dups of the shots that mean the most to you. With digital you can always delete the unwanted shots after your hike. Better to have too many than to wish you had taken a few more.

'Slogger

DavidNH
01-31-2007, 09:49
I will second Footslogers post about pictures..best argument not to keep too many on the chip is that you could lose em.

I would have a couple hundred at most then go to a pharmacy and down load them to a CD ROM which you could mail home. Any Rite Aide would do this for example.

Why tempt fate?

DavidNH

SalParadise
01-31-2007, 10:12
knew a few hikers who lost their memory cards in the mail, a huge downer. once i got my CD burned i waited until the next town, called home, and confirmed that the pictures had arrived, and only then would i delete the photos from the memory card.

Jim Adams
01-31-2007, 11:45
I have a degree in Photography and photojournalism. On my 1990 trip, I carried 2 SLR bodies, a 50mm, a 135mm and a 24mm lens and a small tripod. I shot chrome film (slides) in one and B&W in the other. I shot 16,000 frames on the whole trip. I shot mostly scenic landscapes.
On my 2002 hike, I used a Nikon point and shoot with print film and shot mostly other hikers and friends on the trail. I shot 2,000 frames.
I am using a digital this year on my PCT thru. I have no idea how many I'll shoot with it.
You can never shoot too many photos!
geek

fonsie
01-31-2007, 14:51
Im taken a couple of 1 gig cards I figure they dont weigh anything and I don't have to worry about erasing or puting things on a cd.

Hana_Hanger
01-31-2007, 16:26
:D Way to many so I also carry extra memory cards ( 3 ~ 1 gig cards ) and yes if I have a friend along the way or a place where I can download the photos I will....fear of losing the cards or worse...falling in a water crossing (yes I store in waterproof bags) but what if I was taking a photo when I fell.
So because of those fears I download where ever and when ever I can.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2007, 17:30
We take many, many pictures and have a 1G card. It will hold about 2,200 pics at 3.2 MP - I have an older camera that I use for hiking - water-resistant and crash-bang resistant.

Earl Grey
01-31-2007, 18:56
I have a 2gig and a 1 gig SD card. The 2 gig will hold about 1400 at 2593xsomethin.

maxNcathy
02-01-2007, 16:43
With my new Canon A430 I can get 8900 pictures on one card or 1750 pictures at highest resolution.
I will probably take about 15 pictures per day.