PDA

View Full Version : The Miracles of Goldbond

The Doctor
01-31-2007, 15:11
A buddy and I just went on a 3-day hike in the Ga/Nc/Sc Area and the most valuable thing I learned on this trip was the importance of Goldbond. Other "medicated" powders have no where near the healing/tingling/soothing effects of goldbond, and as far as showering goes, I even took a few gooldbond showers. It also stops chaffing and is a great foot drier. Although it is not a cureall, it definately has multi-use potential. Anyone else have other goldbond related uses?

"Spread Your Wings in the Morning"

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 15:46
Gold Bond is great. Note starch based powders actually feed the bacteria that makes you each.. Gold Bond is talc based. Stay away from the menthol stuff. Gold Bond is good for what ails you....

Toolshed
01-31-2007, 15:47
I thought Medicated Gold Bond was a miracle for chafing until I got married and had a child and discovered Desitin Diaper Rash Ointment (and later Boudreaux's Butt Paste).
Although it erved it's purposes, I no longer use Gold Bond. I now use Desitin as a backup but swear by body glide as a prophalactic. I think they work much better.

dloome
01-31-2007, 18:12
It's the only thing that cures chafe for me. All those creams just make it worse. Truly a life saver on more than on occasion. Gold Bond should make a special blend just for thru hiker ass chafe.

mrc237
01-31-2007, 18:36
Save yourself some $ use corn starch. I think it works much better. Try it you'll like it!

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 18:40
gold bond on feet in cold wheather kils. try it. youl be so so sorry. just try to walk in 25 or less temps. i double tripple dare you. menthol freezes the feet but good.its a warm weather thing to be sure.

Smile
01-31-2007, 18:59
Just don't use the goldbond powder in the GREEN bottle. MENTHOL WARNING, you will remember the experience :)

jlb2012
01-31-2007, 19:20
Just don't use the goldbond powder in the GREEN bottle. MENTHOL WARNING, you will remember the experience :)

well, it _will_ warm you right up on a cold day :D

GlazeDog
01-31-2007, 20:11
A hiking partner of mine developed a mysterious (and rather nasty) rash from chafing between the upper thighs. Gold Bold Cream saved the day. This was beyond preventing or aleviating minor chafing--this was after several days of chafing in heat. WOW!

Also, my girlfriend broke out in a minor case of hives from I believe stinging nettles--she must have a minor allergy (more than the normal nuissance I get from the stuff). She was in discomfort. I remembered the Gold Bond Cream. She rubbed some on and the G.B. miracle occurred again. That stuff has a million uses.

I'm sure for any one thing, there's always going to be something better (as listed above). But I can't carry everything for all possible outcomes, so Gold Bond Cream is a cure-all ointment (ointment--an under used word--LOL).

happy trails--
GlazeDog

buckowens
01-31-2007, 21:48
I walked into work the other day and sitting on my desk was some
"Anti Monkey Butt Powder." The note said I had been irritated lately and was left there by my First Sergeant. He thought he was funny...

It looked to be in a "Gold Bond" style container, but sure enough they had a website. www.antimonkeybutt.com (http://www.antimonkeybutt.com). I found a poster hanging above my desk yesterday with the red butted monkey logo. The week has not gotten better... Check it out if for nothing else a laugh at the logo! I would have posted the picture but for all that nasty copyright crap.

kyhiker1
02-01-2007, 10:38
I have used Goldbond powder for years with great results.Stay away from the menthol variety..you will be sorry.When Goldbond is not availible,cornstarch will do just fine.:rolleyes:

The Doctor
02-01-2007, 10:43
corn starch ehhh? Sounds like it might be worth a try for that damn inner thigh chaffing. Thanks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 12:04
Goldbond powder for chafing and Destin diaper rash cream for 'monkey butt' or other conditions only the females experience.

Smile
02-01-2007, 13:15
Got that Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder too, similar and cool marketing. Good for feet after a long hike, fill baggie-insertfoot-shake.

neo
02-02-2007, 09:21
Goldbond powder for chafing and Destin diaper rash cream for 'monkey butt' or other conditions only the females experience.

:D what is monkey butt lol:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
02-02-2007, 09:22

same thing as oven ass.

Micky
02-02-2007, 10:11

Wish somebody had warned me about this a couple of years ago. I had to sit in the tub for over an hour. ouch:(

vipahman
02-02-2007, 11:24
Goldbond is great for chaffing. But it is a cure. To prevent inner thigh chaffing, use seamless (in the groin/inner thigh area) bicycle shorts instead of underwear. I've never looked back and I don't carry Goldbond anymore.

I learnt this trick riding motorcycles cross-country and putting in 1000-mile days.

pjbarr
02-02-2007, 12:11
that'd be about 18 hours a day on the bike at ~55 mph. you either don't appreciate sleep and it's beneficial effect on driving ability or have a bladder of steel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2007, 14:29
that'd be about 18 hours a day on the bike at ~55 mph. you either don't appreciate sleep and it's beneficial effect on driving ability or have a bladder of steelI have a feeling you should recalculate using ~ 70 - 80 MPH (more like 12 to 15 hours)

TnSlowPoke
01-29-2009, 07:09
Has anyone tryed the monkey butt powder? Am new to this.
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?src=directory&view=AMB_Products&category=Products
Is this worth getting and yes I will need some. Iam a little over weight and I hope to be going on the At on April15th 2009.

Six-Six
01-29-2009, 09:53
Gold Bond may work, but I hate the smell.

jcramin
01-29-2009, 10:20
OOooo ive used it for years, its great for monkey butt, its even better than Monkey Butt brand powder

Johnny Swank
01-29-2009, 10:56
I too, am a fan of the Gold Bond.

JAK
01-29-2009, 11:56
When you get to the point that you just want to shove your shorts right up into the great unknown and you don't care what all the people behind you in McDonalds think about it, you just might have monkey butt.

bigmac_in
01-29-2009, 12:13
I'm a big fan of Gold Bond powder. You can buy travel size containers of it too! !
I found some at Wally World.

It's definately better than the anti-monkey butt powder.

WritinginCT
01-29-2009, 12:43
I love Goldbond - both the powder and the lotion!!

I would caution though- women should not use talc-based products in the peri-area. There are links from talc to cervical cancer. Cornstarch based powders are fine in this regard.

Cornstarch can also be used as a "multipurpose" item- as a powder, as a food thickener, and you can also sprinkle it in your hair and brush it out to remove the grease and oil.

Funkmeister
01-29-2009, 13:11
Another vote for Gold Bond powder here. Never needed it for thousand-mile days on my motorcycle, though. Could it be because I drive one of those rice-burners?

bigmac_in
01-29-2009, 14:30
Another vote for Gold Bond powder here. Never needed it for thousand-mile days on my motorcycle, though. Could it be because I drive one of those rice-burners?

Probably. Doesn't really count as a motorcycle.

No Pepsi
01-29-2009, 15:04
Forget Goldbond, get yourself some biking shorts. No more chafing!!!

Summit
01-29-2009, 18:41
Compression underwear has virtually eliminated my need for medicated chaffing treatment, but I still carry a small stick of BodyGlide just in case. Never tried Gold Bond but (as I've stated every time this subject comes up) the deodorant stick-like application of BodyGlide is so much more convenient than trying to get powder to adhere where you want it, let alone the residual mess if applied in your tent/sleeping bag! ;)

Dkeener
02-06-2009, 10:08
Buy the travel size Gold Bond and refill as needed from a larger package.
Boudreaux Butt Paste works wonders too. Get it at Wally Mart.

Dennis

Surplusman
03-08-2009, 12:39
When I worked on a grounds crew in the summer, Gold Bond did a great job preventing swamp ass. I do carry a small container of it for hiking in the summer. However, as has been said, don't use the menthol stuff. One of our guys accidentally used it. I thought he was practicing some new dance moves.

atraildreamer
03-08-2009, 18:23

You'll know its working when you start screaming! :eek: :D:banana

Nicksaari
03-08-2009, 19:54
When I worked on a grounds crew in the summer, Gold Bond did a great job preventing swamp ass. I do carry a small container of it for hiking in the summer. However, as has been said, don't use the menthol stuff. One of our guys accidentally used it.
I thought he was practicing some new dance moves. hahaha

Nicksaari
03-08-2009, 19:55
nothing better than ice on the crotch area miles away from the nearest freezer!!!

jb-
03-15-2009, 16:01
My first 700 mile day on my CBR600RR made me appreciate gold bond. However, like mentioned above, I learned to avoid regular underwears and go with biker shorts. I imagine that can apply to backpacking as well.

bigcranky
03-15-2009, 21:14
nothing better than ice on the crotch area miles away from the nearest freezer!!!

I always stop and mentholate my boys whenever necessary. Works wonders. Makes my feet feel better, too.