PDA

View Full Version : Any ladies own the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket?

Michele
01-31-2007, 16:27
I am curious about the sizing. Does the jacket wear tighter or looser? I kind of teeter on the L-XL border and can't find anyone who is selling a women's XL, so I'm a bit concerned the L could be too tight after I layer up underneath of it.

With women's normal clothing, I generally wear an XL shirt (or 16-18) if that helps any. Oh...and if anyone has one for sale...I'm looking to buy! :D

peanuts
01-31-2007, 17:03
michele, the jackets do run on the small size. i consider the 16-18 actually being a size 14. i would prefer to go with the mens size. its a great jacket.

Minerva
01-31-2007, 18:26
Yes, this inner jacket is slim fitting. Order the larger size especially since you're between sizes. The sleeves will be too long but the jacket will fit around the hips. MrsGorp

Smile
01-31-2007, 18:58
I have the UL jacket, not just the 'inner' jacket. I got a men's size, and they are sized very small. It is warm and the lightweight can't be beat. The cost is high, but I used mine as a 'kidney warmer' wrapped around me every night, keeps the heat in nice!

sweetpeastu
02-01-2007, 22:59
ok so if u normally wear a Womens Small....u need a Womens Medium (or a Mens Small) in the Montbell UL Inner Jacket? Since it doesn't have a drawstring, I wouldn't want it being real big in the body b/c it would be drafty.

Michele
02-02-2007, 16:19
ok so if u normally wear a Womens Small....u need a Womens Medium (or a Mens Small) in the Montbell UL Inner Jacket? Since it doesn't have a drawstring, I wouldn't want it being real big in the body b/c it would be drafty.

I talked w/Mrs. Gorp, who owns one. She suggested that I follow Montbell's sizing chart. I am letting my "biggest" measurment determine the size, which is of course...the chest.

I think I'd need an XL in women's, but no one seems to sell those. So, for men's their XL had a chest measurement that would fit me w/my clothing layered underneath. I might well have a down "dress", but I'll let you all know when it gets here. I ordered it UPS 3 day so hopefully next week. I'll even take a pic if anyone is interested in seeing the fit.

Worst case is I send it back and try a large or it just doesn't fit right at all. Hope it works though.

BYC
02-06-2007, 19:02
I have the jacket. I bought a mens small. My chest is a 33, hips 34. The womens med was to small, The sleeves to short, The torso to short. I liked the way the mens fit much better.
The womens does have inside pockets as well as outside hand warmer pockets.
I really like the jacket.
Barbara

Michele
02-07-2007, 18:54
WOW!! I got my Montbell UL Down Inner jacket today and boy am I happy!:banana

I measured my chest (with 2 layers of clothing on) at 45". I went soley by that measurment and ordered the Men's XL, which the men's sizing chart stated was for 44-47".

It is RIGHT on. I actually had one of those on-line customer service people tell me that I'd have 9" of extra sleeve hanging off both arms and he tried to get me to buy a jacket twice the price (go figure), but I decided to take the risk, and this jacket fits me perfectly (hips, sleeves, chest and all!), and I have on two shirts w/plenty of room to add a third.

The men's XL weighs just under 8 oz, which is a HUGE weight savings over my 12.5 oz 200 ct fleece that I was going to take. So just wanted to pass onto the ladies (and men) out there, to trust the Montbell sizing chart, and that the men's fit me perfectly.

It is a typical piece of ultralight gear though, and it's fragile, so it will need some TLC along w/any other ultralite down item. I got it at www.backcountry.com (http://www.backcountry.com) and they had the best price I could find.

Thanks for the input everyone...I'm so glad I purchased this jacket.

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 03:08
Glad to see it worked out in the end. The men's jacket is on my post hike wish list.

Michele
02-08-2007, 09:57
Glad to see it worked out in the end. The men's jacket is on my post hike wish list.

THanks again for the 15% off coupon. Really helped the ole' pocketbook.

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 13:14
No problem. A couple more dollars for the old hike is never bad.