PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with thievery on a thru-hike?

The Doctor
01-31-2007, 19:44
I know most backpackers are honest/decent people with nothing but good intentions, but I was wondering if anybody has ever had a problem with missing/stolen items when camped out with a large(>15) group of thru-hikers mainly toward the beginning of the trek when everyone is not exactly familiar with eachother yet and a lot of unknown folk are around?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 20:01
nope. extremely rare. watch your stuff in towns.

Touch of Grey
01-31-2007, 20:07
It my seem harsh for some to see or hear this but here goes...

Portect your home at all costs. I don't care how much you think you can trust someone, remember from the local newsmedia the stories of the guys and gals who were so docile and would never hurt anyone who unbeknowest to us were murdering, raping, robbing or other things right in our midst.

We all have pictures in our heads of what we think an honest person looks like and the same goes for the dishonest person too. The reality is that those stereotypes just don't hold water.

Your pack contains your house and safety for the entire time you are out on the trail. Keep it in your sight as much as possible. This is not to say that there are not good people out there and that you will not ever meet them.

Just remember an old saying, "Better safe than sorry"!

This may not be directly a part of this exact discussion, but here goes also...

I spent 30 years working in the automotive industry along side people who made the same exact amount of money per hour a day as I did. And yet, there were thieves in amongst that group of people who would steal a radio accidentally left unlocked over night, steal a lunch because they did not have any money left from their previous paycheck, the list goes on.

So again while for the most part the human race as a whole just wants to survive, don't let it be at your expense.

That's my ninety-eight cents worth, the hell with only giving two-cents!

TOG

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 20:34
You will only have things stolen from you if you let things that are of value be stolen:

Never leave your pack alone. EVER. That includes not on the trail, not to take a whiz, not at a hostel, not at a shelter. The only exception is if you are in a motel and can lock the door. Not EVER.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2007, 20:40
The reality is that there wil be many times on the Trail when you leave your pack unattended.....when you go to get water, or go to the outhouse, or leave it in your tent while you go up to the shelter or fire pit to hang out with other hikers.

And 99.9% of the time you'll be fine.

Towns are different. Likewise, never "stash" your pack in the woods while you go into town or down the road to a store.

And use some common sense. Avoid carrying lots of cash; keep your wallet small so you can easily carry it. Wear shorts with good pockets. When going into a restaurant or supermarket or whatever, either take your valuables with you, or bury them deep in the pack, i.e. don't have them on the top of your pack or in a side pocket where they can be clipped in five seconds.

And you'll get really good antenna in regards to the folks you meet while in the woods. 99.9% wil be fine.

In those very rare other cases, trust your instincts.

But I agree with Wolf. Most of your risk is in town situations.

Jester2000
01-31-2007, 20:41
I did have something stolen from me, but it was in town. There have been thieves on the trail from time to time, though.

I like to think that most petty thieves are too lazy to hike, and if you think about it, someone with their own gear is probably not interested in having to carry yours. But as stated by the previous posters it's better, I think, to be safe than sorry.

One precaution I always took was to make sure that I always had my wallet on me if my pack was out of sight. My reasoning was that at least that way I'd have money to go home.

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2007, 20:43
Oh, one thing I forgot.

Avoid leaving your lady friends unattended around Jester.

He steals hearts. :D

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 20:45
The reality is that there wil be many times on the Trail when you leave your pack unattended.....when you go to get water, or go to the outhouse, or leave it in your tent while you go up to the shelter or fire pit to hang out with other hikers. ***

Jack's advice is good, but I pretty consistently didn't leave my pack unattended unless it was in a locked room or under the eye of a close friend that I was confident could be trusted. That included water runs or privy trips. Beyond that, it wasn't out of my sight. Even took it to church in towns.

The Weasel

trlhiker
01-31-2007, 21:47
How about when you go into town and get something to eat or grocery shop? Do they allow you to take packs inside the resaurants or stores?

RAT
01-31-2007, 21:49
I all my years of hiking, I only had some snacks taken once when we left everything at Jerry Cabin one night to walk up to the grassy balds a mile away to enjoy the full moon and visuals, it was gone when we returned and only some thru hikers from canada were camping nearby.It was too big for mice to pack off, lol. No biggie, but I NEVER EVER leave my pack out of my site, not for water runs, privy visits, nothing unless I have a friend with me who can watch it. Only behind locked doors will it be left unattended and my cash is always on my person.

RAT

RAT
01-31-2007, 21:51
How about when you go into town and get something to eat or grocery shop? Do they allow you to take packs inside the resaurants or stores?

No, but they will allow you to leave them at their service desk where they will watch it or at least be responsible for it while you shop. There is a sign in our local grocery store saying to do so since it is a college town, says please leave backpacks at service desk as they are not allowed in the store.

RAT

trlhiker
01-31-2007, 21:54
Thanks for answering my question Rat. I had always wondered about that.

rafe
01-31-2007, 21:55
Odd. I just haven't had any problems, with theivery... in thirty-odd years. Maybe there's an advatage to that geeky looking Camp Trails pack, after all. The pack's often unattended, for minutes at a time. I just don't worry about it much.

The Weasel
01-31-2007, 21:55

Usually, yes. If they do not, I ate or shopped elsewhere.

The Weasel

handlebar
01-31-2007, 22:27
Towns are different. Likewise, never "stash" your pack in the woods while you go into town or down the road to a store.

There was a guy on the AT this summer that stashed his pack in the woods just above the roadwalk into Kent CT and had it stolen. He thought it was well hidden, but either someone saw him stash it or he hadn't hidden it as well as he thought. Towns really are different.

While I occasionally left my pack in a shelter while going to the privy or getting water, it was at a time when I was hiking with a group some of whom stayed behind. It was also well into my hike when I tended to know about everyone at the shelter.

There are some places that you'll have to leave your pack behind --- supermarkets or restaurants that won't let you bring the smelly rock inside. In that case, I tried to leave it where I could see it from inside and I always removed my hiker wallet and camera (as those were the most valuable things that could be fenced).

Footslogger
01-31-2007, 22:28
There was a hiker on the trail in 2003 (and I use that term loosely when it comes to him) who had several trail names, one of which was "Elwood". He was stealing things out of hikers packs. Ended up getting caught at the Blackburn Center. They dumped his backpack and recovered a load of other hikers property.

Long story short ...it happens. But the trail community is close ...VERY CLOSE and it doesn't last very long.

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
01-31-2007, 22:46
One thing about slackpacking is that you have to send your pack ahead somewhere sometimes basically on trust..

It is one thing that the purists have over the slack packers. They always know where their packs are..

I saw some instances of theft in 05. Two had their packs stolen during Trail days.

99.9% of hikers, i think are honest people...

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 23:25
It is one thing that the purists have over the slack packers. They always know where their packs are..

i ain't a purist and i've never slack-packed. watch your s**t.

rafe
01-31-2007, 23:51
i ain't a purist and i've never slack-packed. watch your s**t.

So touchy...

Blue Jay
02-01-2007, 01:21
Jack's advice is good, but I pretty consistently didn't leave my pack unattended unless it was in a locked room or under the eye of a close friend that I was confident could be trusted. That included water runs or privy trips. Beyond that, it wasn't out of my sight. Even took it to church in towns.

The Weasel

This is because as a lawyer you would be crazy trust yourself, therefore you cannot trust anyone else. You don't have to worry about anything being stolen at all, if you are more than 2 miles from a road.

rafe
02-01-2007, 01:24
You don't have to worry about anything being stolen at all, if you are more than 2 miles from a road.

Absolutely agree. Safety is proportional to distance from the road.

bfitz
02-01-2007, 01:45
There was a hiker on the trail in 2003 (and I use that term loosely when it comes to him) who had several trail names, one of which was "Elwood". He was stealing things out of hikers packs. Ended up getting caught at the Blackburn Center. They dumped his backpack and recovered a load of other hikers property.

Long story short ...it happens. But the trail community is close ...VERY CLOSE and it doesn't last very long.

'SloggerAnything is possible, there have been a few notorious trail thieves such as Elwood, although they are usually quickly exposed and news travels fairly fast on the trail.

Skyline
02-01-2007, 01:54
The dirtier and smellier your pack is, the less likely a non-hiker will be to mess with it. Still, I'd err on the side of caution in towns.

Desert Lobster
02-01-2007, 02:01
One of those Virginia town wenches stole my virginity.

Overpass
02-01-2007, 02:51
I saw some instances of theft in 05. Two had their packs stolen during Trail days.

There were two stolen? Damn. I remember hearing about the one girl that had her pack stolen right out of her tent at the campground. :eek: And they were collecting donations to help her replace her stuff. How did that turn out, did they catch the thief? Did she get her stuff back and/or get new stuff and finish her thru? What happened with the other theft victim?

Ender
02-01-2007, 10:00
I had my mp3 player stolen on the PCT at a "town" stop (actually a remote mountain resort). On the AT I had to lend a friend $$$ to resupply when his wallet got stolen in Damascus, VA during Trail Days.

In other words, it happens, but chances are if it does it'll probably happen in town. And even then, it doesn't happen often. Just be vigilant and you should be fine.

moxie
02-01-2007, 11:13
I did have something stolen from me, but it was in town. There have been thieves on the trail from time to time, though.

What Jester had stolen was one of his Leiki poles in Kent Ct. Jester left them outside a store with his pack and when he came out one pole was missing. One can only asume that some sex starved damsel in Kent was so taken by Jester that she took the pole so she could have a small momento of his short stay in her town. I hear she sleeps with it every night and imagines it is Jester. The great man did manage to finish his hike with one pole.

hopefulhiker
02-01-2007, 11:20
I knew these people. It was a mother and son hiking together. People gave donations and they were able to replace their packs and continue their hike.

Fannypack
02-01-2007, 13:56
No, but they will allow you to leave them at their service desk where they will watch it or at least be responsible for it while you shop. There is a sign in our local grocery store saying to do so since it is a college town, says please leave backpacks at service desk as they are not allowed in the store.

RAT
or u could put the pack in the grocery cart

eateries/bars are sometimes a problem because SOME OF THEM ASK U TO LEAVE PACKS OUTSIDE. U need to get a seat where u can watch your pack or someone would need to stay outside to watch them or go to another establishment.

note: in a college town, i would think they maybe fearful of stealing itmes & put in daypack.

weary
02-01-2007, 14:56
Odd. I just haven't had any problems, with theivery... in thirty-odd years. Maybe there's an advatage to that geeky looking Camp Trails pack, after all. The pack's often unattended, for minutes at a time. I just don't worry about it much.
Nor have I. I've never especially guarded anything, in town, on the trail, or at home. I lost my house keys decades ago. Someone once walked in and stole half my music system. I was cautious for a few days after that, but quickly got over it.

Sixty years ago while living on the north side of Chicago, every few nights someone took to breaking a window on my ancient, $150 Buick. I solved that problem by leaving the doors unlocked.

Weary

Blissful
02-01-2007, 15:17
So you can't leave your pack at a hostel while you cruise the town on a zero day? Like in Hot Springs, for instance (not that someone would want my 6 plus pound clunker)?

mweinstone
02-01-2007, 15:22
the goat must tell us his incredible story about how he and a friend on a thru tracked down and recovered there stolen goods. it has got to be the funnyest goat story of his many. and a good lesson on how to conduct ones self in these united states of america formerly the great exsperoment. a lesson in bravery and chivilry at one sitting. he handled the matter in good way. tell it goat. tell it!

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 16:10
This is because as a lawyer you would be crazy trust yourself, therefore you cannot trust anyone else. You don't have to worry about anything being stolen at all, if you are more than 2 miles from a road.

I trust a lot of people, Blue Jay. I just don't insult the ones I don't trust, and I don't attack other peoples' professions. Sad to see you try to start a flame war here for no good reason, but you've done it before, and no doubt will do so again. Must make you feel good, but I'm not going to respond in kind.

What was that post above about a lot of stuff being found that "hiker" Elwood had stolen? Did he only steal close to the road? I don't think so. One doesn't have to lack trust in others to be prudent.

Have a fun day, BlueJay.

The Weasel

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 17:21
So you can't leave your pack at a hostel while you cruise the town on a zero day? Like in Hot Springs, for instance (not that someone would want my 6 plus pound clunker)?

Well, when I was in Hot Springs, I stayed two places: The first was a little bit problematic, and was a very wide open bunkhouse run by a great guy. But there were a few people who were there at the time that weren't real thru hikers, and I just had a set of mixed feelings. There were a few times I left: Once, for most of a day, but two very close friends were going to be in the room the entire time, so they watched my gear for me as they would have watched their own. The other times I took my pack with me when I went into town. It made bringing stuff from the Post Office easier, I had a few small repairs for things that I could make sure I got the right things from stores, and it wasn't a big deal. The other place I stayed was at Elmer's, for 2 nights. One night I shared the room with a really wonderful Baptist minister, got to know him well, and, yes, broke my own rule (if you can't trust retired Baptist ministers from Georgia who knew Jimmy Carter, well, who can you trust?) and left my stuff in the room while he was there. The other night, I was alone in Elmer's - totally alone - and didn't have a problem.

So overall, while I might leave my gear if I'm certain of who I'm entrusting it with - retired ministers or married couples from Indiana, for instance - otherwise I'll carry the darn thing. (Oh yes: I'll leave it at a grocery courtesy desk, but I once mentioned that my pack was cleaner than that baby over there who was 'leaking' from the bottom on the floor...and the clerk looked at me, grimaced, and told me I could put my pack in my shopping cart.)

the Weasel

tiamalle
02-01-2007, 17:47
Well, when I was in Hot Springs, I stayed two places: The first was a little bit problematic, and was a very wide open bunkhouse run by a great guy. But there were a few people who were there at the time that weren't real thru hikers, and I just had a set of mixed feelings. There were a few times I left: Once, for most of a day, but two very close friends were going to be in the room the entire time, so they watched my gear for me as they would have watched their own. The other times I took my pack with me when I went into town. It made bringing stuff from the Post Office easier, I had a few small repairs for things that I could make sure I got the right things from stores, and it wasn't a big deal. The other place I stayed was at Elmer's, for 2 nights. One night I shared the room with a really wonderful Baptist minister, got to know him well, and, yes, broke my own rule (if you can't trust retired Baptist ministers from Georgia who knew Jimmy Carter, well, who can you trust?) and left my stuff in the room while he was there. The other night, I was alone in Elmer's - totally alone - and didn't have a problem.

So overall, while I might leave my gear if I'm certain of who I'm entrusting it with - retired ministers or married couples from Indiana, for instance - otherwise I'll carry the darn thing. (Oh yes: I'll leave it at a grocery courtesy desk, but I once mentioned that my pack was cleaner than that baby over there who was 'leaking' from the bottom on the floor...and the clerk looked at me, grimaced, and told me I could put my pack in my shopping cart.)

the WeaselI heard last year alone of $40 was took at Muskrat Shelter out of a pack in the night,a credit card stoled in Rock Gap,another was stolen in Helen,Ga and a southbounder had a card stolen and $100 in a shelter south of Shenandoah in Va.At least a dozen times or more last year I had towels slolen from my rooms and I remember someone getting a set of trekking poles took.In general most hikers are very honest.In a large group over all hikers are some of the most honest people I've meet.But sadly enough there are a few bad apples even in hikers.My advise is the same as others who made good post about this."watch your stuff". :(

max patch
02-01-2007, 18:24
I remember on my thru when someone was sure something was stolen from their pack. They were also sure who stole it. So they called the police and accused Harry the Indian (some of you who have been around a while may remember him) of theft and Harry's pack was searched at The Place in Damascus by the police. Nothing was found. Then -- oops! the accusers found the item that they thot was stolen in their pack after all.

Harry was a cool dude. I enjoyed the couple of nights we were able to talk.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2007, 19:30
I remember on my thru when someone was sure something was stolen from their pack. They were also sure who stole it. So they called the police and accused Harry the Indian (some of you who have been around a while may remember him) of theft and Harry's pack was searched at The Place in Damascus by the police. Nothing was found. Then -- oops! the accusers found the item that they thot was stolen in their pack after all.

Harry was a cool dude. I enjoyed the couple of nights we were able to talk.

my first meeting with harry was at a shelter in penn. back in 86. he was drunk as s**t on listerine and wouldn't let us in the shelter. we moved on. met him many times after that. he's a good guy.

Socrates
02-01-2007, 19:56
Oh god, at the risk of offending the ultra light hikers, I'll say it... I'm carrying a small thread of cable with me. It weighs about the same as 3 quarters. You loop it on the ends and put a small combination lock on it. It's very thin and no wire cutters are getting through it. I think the point is not to stop anyone, but to seriously deter them instead. Since it's a thin cable, you can loop it through just about anything which means they would probably have to break the item just to take it or have scissors ready to go. Most thieves want to be quick and don't want to take time to figure things out. I don't plan on using it often, but I'm sure it will be of some use at points. To deter a thief is your greatest protection. For the weight folks, I'd rather carry the weight of 3 quarters than lose over $2,000 in equipment. Anyway, just offering an idea. The setup is cheap and easy and can be found at most hardware stores.

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 20:00
Oh god, at the risk of offending the ultra light hikers, I'll say it... I'm carrying a small thread of cable with me. It weighs about the same as 3 quarters. You loop it on the ends and put a small combination lock on it. It's very thin and no wire cutters are getting through it. I think the point is not to stop anyone, but to seriously deter them instead. Since it's a thin cable, you can loop it through just about anything which means they would probably have to break the item just to take it or have scissors ready to go. Most thieves want to be quick and don't want to take time to figure things out. I don't plan on using it often, but I'm sure it will be of some use at points. To deter a thief is your greatest protection. For the weight folks, I'd rather carry the weight of 3 quarters than lose over $2,000 in equipment. Anyway, just offering an idea. The setup is cheap and easy and can be found at most hardware stores.

Excellent idea.

The Weasel

Blissful
02-01-2007, 20:02

Yes, but can't they still get into your pack? Or in the least, cut it open if they want something?

Glad I didn't get a WM bag or anything. In fact, most of my stuff is not very attractive or not that expensive, including my poles that are well used. But my personal ID and money stays with me at all times, everywhere.

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 20:14
Yes, but can't they still get into your pack? Or in the least, cut it open if they want something?

Glad I didn't get a WM bag or anything. In fact, most of my stuff is not very attractive or not that expensive, including my poles that are well used. But my personal ID and money stays with me at all times, everywhere.

I assume she is talking about the web cable; if not, that solves much of the risk.

The Weasel

Socrates
02-01-2007, 21:25

Of course someone can cut into the pack. But I'm thinking that in most situations, a thief is looking to take something and go. I don't think most are prepared carrying a knife for the sole purpose of encountering a locked up pack just so they can cut the pack wide open or cut up the gear, go through the hole to find something that might be of value. Packs aren't made of steel and until they are, they will always be vulnerable, but like I said, this method is only to deter and better than doing nothing. Anyone who is determined will find a way. Like I said, this isn't something that I'll use all the time, just something to help in the few cases where a pack might have to be left alone for a few moments. When you add up the facts that most people aren't out to steal your pack or gear and the opportunities to steal it will be highly few, this leaves very little worry... Add an ultra light cable and lock and well, I feel pretty confident that I'll be coming home with my gear. Of 2 packs sitting next to each other, one locked and one not, the average thief will take the easier route.
I don't know what web cable is... This one has strands of metal tightly wrapping around each other like a rope. He said no wire cutters would get through and he used a machine that took about 4 seconds to cut it for me.

weary
02-01-2007, 21:53
Of course someone can cut into the pack. But I'm thinking that in most situations, a thief is looking to take something and go. I don't think most are prepared carrying a knife for the sole purpose of encountering a locked up pack just so they can cut the pack wide open or cut up the gear, go through the hole to find something that might be of value. Packs aren't made of steel and until they are, they will always be vulnerable, but like I said, this method is only to deter and better than doing nothing. Anyone who is determined will find a way. Like I said, this isn't something that I'll use all the time, just something to help in the few cases where a pack might have to be left alone for a few moments. When you add up the facts that most people aren't out to steal your pack or gear and the opportunities to steal it will be highly few, this leaves very little worry... Add an ultra light cable and lock and well, I feel pretty confident that I'll be coming home with my gear. Of 2 packs sitting next to each other, one locked and one not, the average thief will take the easier route.
I don't know what web cable is... This one has strands of metal tightly wrapping around each other like a rope. He said no wire cutters would get through and he used a machine that took about 4 seconds to cut it for me.'m embarassed to admit it, but these damn philosopher types are almost always right.

Weary

Blissful
02-01-2007, 23:01
Someone can always rob you at knife/gun/fist point...you are never safe anywhere...:rolleyes:

Well this makes for a cheerful and happily confident hike!

Anyway, I figure if I can make it through the train stations and whatnot in Naples, Italy with robbers inches away from me on a crowded subway, I can handle the AT. It was a good learning experience.

And I could go into other things too that helped me besides watching my stuff like a hawk, but then I would be getting into that religious talk...yikes!! :eek:

Jester2000
02-05-2007, 00:04
There were two stolen? Damn. I remember hearing about the one girl that had her pack stolen right out of her tent at the campground. :eek: And they were collecting donations to help her replace her stuff. How did that turn out, did they catch the thief? Did she get her stuff back and/or get new stuff and finish her thru? What happened with the other theft victim?

I knew these people. It was a mother and son hiking together. People gave donations and they were able to replace their packs and continue their hike.

Actually, the theft in question happened to two women who were not hiking together. One was a Minnesota Billvillian (Luna) and the other was a non-Billvillian from Australia (Nuffy). Their packs were stolen out of their tents, which was sort of a blessing, as most of their stuff was unpacked and the packs were the only major items that were lifted.

Their packs were replaced before Trail days was over.