PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Dromedary Bags Clean?

Felix
02-01-2007, 00:33
Hi, I'm considering starting a thru hike this year, but not totally sure if I can wing it, yet. In any event, has anyone had any experience with developing slime or other gunk in their dromedary bags/tubes? I've always used nalgenes or other bottles, but was wondering if the bags might be better. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Toolshed
02-01-2007, 07:54
The only issue I have ever had with my MSR drom bags was filling it via my Pur (Hiker or Scout?) Filter in the early 90's that had the Iodine resin matrix on it - My drom bags (later replaced by MSR under a recall) started to always taste like iodine - even with tap water. I didn't care for that and could not get rid of the taste. Otherwise, no issues.

Probably wouldn't hurt that on laundry days you yogi a few drops of bleach, fill with water and let it sit for 5 minutes before giving it a good rinse.

Nameless
02-01-2007, 09:00
I use two platys myself, a very simular product. (and as a prewarning, i had surgery today so if my post is a little off its because I've had a lot of painkiller)

If bladders are only used with water they should be pretty easy to keep clean. It would be a good idea when in town to wash out well and dry completely when possible. This will help kill anything that starts growing. A little bleach like mentioned above will definatly help. The taste/smell of bleach should completely dissappear if you let it dry out. I use polar pure in my water, and I sometimes wonder if that helps kill some. My containers do turn the familur iodine color, but I don't knowtice the taste myself. I also ignore my own advice and put watered down drink powders in my small one quart platy most days. I figure that since I drink only out of that platy durring the day (my other one is a larger one that I use to store extra water when needed and to have plently of water for in camp) and I drink plain water after the surgered water I am rinsing it out regurally. I just pay a little more attention to it and the hose in town.

Good Luck
Pink

VictoriaM
02-01-2007, 14:14
I bought some of these (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30373074&memberId=12500226) for mine. I haven't tried them yet, though, so I can't give a review. Maybe someone else here has used them?

Felix
02-01-2007, 23:14
Thanks for the feedback--I think I'll have to seriously consider using my dromedary bag.

Those tablets aren't a bad idea. Chlorine dioxide is the same stuff they use in AquaMira, right? That stuff is supposed to kill basically everything. Speaking of which, anyone have any experience with AquaMira?

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2007, 23:48
My MSR 4-liter Dromedary has been with me since 1997. It's been on 7 thru-hikes and lots of shorter ones. Other than my tent, it is the ONLY piece of gear that is still with me after ten years continuous use.

I wash mine out fairly regularly, using warm (not too hot) water and a bit of baking soda. Then leave the bag awhile, rinse it out well. Repeat process if you feel like it. I also clean the threads of the bag (and my Nalgenes as well) with my toothbrush when I'm ready to replace the brush. Works great on the mung that collects in the threads.

bigben
02-02-2007, 00:50
What if a hydration bladder that was stored for a while has developed a slight bit of "blackish stuff" in the drinking tube? I use a 3L MSR bag, which is fine, but the bag I referring to is a Kelty/Source 3L bag. I stored it clean and dry(apparently not dry enough).

Bigben

hammock engineer
02-02-2007, 00:53
Ok, now how does everyone clean the inside of the tube?

I wash my nalgene canteen and the outside of the bit valve thingy.

jrwiesz
02-02-2007, 01:04
Ok, now how does everyone clean the inside of the tube?

I wash my nalgene canteen and the outside of the bit valve thingy.
:-? Maybe try a gun cleaning snake they sell at sporting goods stores. Maybe the .22 cal. brush might me small enough to go through the tubing. Just a thought. Give them a look see.

Toolshed
02-02-2007, 11:58
Alternatively, if you really need to clean the hose, the cheapest method is to get a thin coathanger or pices of thin wire (The cheaper drycleaner white coathangers work great) and push it through.

After it goes through, tie a long string to it and pull it back through so that the string hangs out both ends and tos the coathanger.

Then tie a small bit of rag on the near center of the string with a drop of diluted bleach on it and pull it back and forth half a dozen times.

mweinstone
02-02-2007, 17:38
you can actually purchase baltimore jacks mung on e bay. i have an 11 litre dromedary msr. and a 6. i never have mung mouth so i never have mung thread. how bout a shirt that says" got thread?" oh. almost forgot. your water bottles and bags smell cause you do.

eat right, fart polite.

this message brought to you by the makers of" certs, what is retsin anywho?"

jrwiesz
02-02-2007, 19:29
you can actually purchase baltimore jacks mung on e bay. i have an 11 litre dromedary msr. and a 6. i never have mung mouth so i never have mung thread. how bout a shirt that says" got thread?" oh. almost forgot. your water bottles and bags smell cause you do.

eat right, fart polite.

this message brought to you by the makers of" certs, what is retsin anywho?"
A "sparkling drop"?:banana

oldfivetango
02-02-2007, 20:23
I have ditched my dromedary MSR bag because I could not keep
it clean;even under controlled conditions.I was using chlorinated water
and keeping it washed out etc but "stuff" would grow in the water in
a couple of days.I don't have that problem with bottles.I suspect the
problem was "backwash" bacteria getting back into the tube and the
tank from my mouth.Pouring water from a bottle into a cup and drinking
it all down and allowing the cup to dry should nix all "cootie" issues-