PDA

View Full Version : Hike Naked Day?

The Doctor
02-01-2007, 10:56
I'm new to the whole thru hiking thing, but i've done a lot of other hiking on the AT and elsewhere. The question I have is, Is there really a hike naked day or is it just a joke proving my gullibility?

SalParadise
02-01-2007, 11:11
is it just a joke proving my gullibility?

so if I told you it was the first day of summer, would you believe me?

highway
02-01-2007, 11:21
The Sun now exerts its maximum power upon our part of the Earth on ... Summer Solstice 2006: Wednesday, June 21 - 5:26 am PDT. Mark it on your calendar:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 11:23
It is real and celebrated on June 21 - here is a thread with more details http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9302

wilderness bob
02-01-2007, 11:41
Been there, done that :)

TurkeyBacon
02-01-2007, 12:04
Yup, its real. People will talk about it before and after June 21. Some people find it amusing, some find it insulting. A nice thing to do would be to hike with shorts or shirt readily accessable to hopefully avoid issues with a pack of giggly children. I can say that on June 21 I was hiking accross Knifes edge in PA and almost fell off of it. Since no one seems to be admitting anything, I can't say how much rug/rock burn I almost, but didn't get.
TB

Lone Wolf
02-01-2007, 12:06
ya never see any hot hiker chicks doing it, always hairy guys

SalParadise
02-01-2007, 12:19
i was sheltering with a group of about 15 boy scouts that night and they told me of a girl who had just passed the shelter who was uh, celebrating the day. she apparently covered up with her arm, but I'm sure the kids had some nice dreams either way.

The Doctor
02-01-2007, 12:33
Nice! June 21st huh? Well I guess that answers that question

Fannypack
02-01-2007, 13:32
6th pic from left - http://www.duke.edu/~gnk3/three_ridges.htm (http://www.duke.edu/%7Egnk3/three_ridges.htm)
(http://www.duke.edu/%7Egnk3/three_ridges.htm)

Boat Drinks
02-01-2007, 13:34
ya never see any hot hiker chicks doing it, always hairy guys

Yeah, same thing with the nude beaches in the Keys, rarely the hotties, fat hairy men, and women mostly.....:mad:

SalParadise
02-01-2007, 14:41
and of course you can throw in your audience of old lady dayhikers who pick that specific day to be out there.
(me with my shirt off) "well, you're almost there!"
"guess so."
"just gotta lose those shorts!"

VictoriaM
02-01-2007, 14:54
One serious question...can't you get arrested for that?

1Pint
02-01-2007, 14:59

Probably depends on how cute you are and the attitude of the relevant law enforcement officer.... so me, yes, arrested.... you...?I don't know? :rolleyes:

TurkeyBacon
02-01-2007, 15:08
I've heard different things. The bike naked protests state that the laws prohibit lewd behavior (I forget the actual term) but nudity is not lewd (yet again, I forget the actual term). Performing sexual acts while naked in public would be illegal but being naked in public would not be illegal. I'm sure local laws can state otherwise, like any nudity being illegal and officers can interpret the laws how they choose, but it appears that simply being nude in public is completely legal.
Being rude is not illegal but not good either, so if you know you will offend someone around you, be curtious but thats up to you. The group of hikers around me talked about it and we knew who would be offended by it. And on June 22 we all knew who participated as well. Grapevine works quiet well.
TB

Gray Blazer
02-01-2007, 15:13
Probably depends on how cute you are and the attitude of the relevant law enforcement officer.... so me, yes, arrested.... you...?I don't know? :rolleyes:You are cute! You're just a buckeye fan!

VictoriaM
02-01-2007, 15:20
I was thinking "indecent exposure", which would pretty much mean all nudity, right? Not that I find it indecent (I definitely don't) but day hikers might report you.

MarcnNJ
02-01-2007, 15:36
You can get arrested for it....and even have to carry the label of a sexual predator for life....that means registering as a sex offender where ever you live....

Last year 2 couples were celebrating the day, and they came across a boy scout troop...If you decide to risk it, hope you dont come across a group of girl scouts, because I bet law enforcement will be notified....

Froggy
02-01-2007, 15:44
Well, if you're still hiking and not in jail on September 19th, don't forget that it's Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Even if you are in jail, don't forget.....

The Doctor
02-01-2007, 15:48
Yarr me matey! Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Brushy Sage
02-01-2007, 16:28
I seem to remember some rules posted at the edge of Damascus that made it quite clear that nudity in public was not permitted anywhere in town. Is my memory accurate?

SalParadise
02-01-2007, 16:42
friend of mine got a ticket for going buff in SNP. don't remember the amount of the fine, though.

i think having something available to quickly cover yourslef up is the key.

tiamalle
02-01-2007, 17:25
One serious question...can't you get arrested for that?there was a section hiker charged $500.00 fine in Dahlonega,Ga last year :eek:

Ewker
02-01-2007, 17:30
Probably depends on how cute you are and the attitude of the relevant law enforcement officer.... so me, yes, arrested.... you...?I don't know? :rolleyes:

I have met you. You wouldn't get arrested :D

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 18:09
I was uncertain when I saw the post suggesting that an arrest for nudity would "carry the lable of sexual predator," and remember laughing about "National Nude Hiker Day" when I started in '00, so I checked. Here's what I found out:

Yes it does do that, and more/worse. In a huge number of states, if you are arrested and convicted of indecent exposure - which generally means the breasts, buttocks and genitalia of women, and the genitalia and buttocks of men - you are required (in many states for the rest of your life) to register as a Sexual Offender. In many states, that will prohibit you from living within as much as 1,000 yards of any park, school, busstop, church, playground or other places where children may be found, which in many cities means there is no place to live, and you are required to move from your existing home if it's in noncompliance. Beyond that, you may be prohibited from having a license for many or most occupations, joining many service organizations (e.g. Boy or Girl Scouting), and more.

This applies even if the conviction is in a different state than where you livfe, in many cases. The registries are usually open to the public. Failure to register is generally a separate felony, punishable for several years in prison, even if the indecent exposure conviction was a misdemeanor.

This is heavy stuff. Probably not a good idea.

The Weasel

Moxie00
02-01-2007, 18:27
Only northbounders celebrate "hike naked day'. Southbounders are still in Maine on June 21st and that can be the peak of black fly season. Anyone naked in Maine on June 21st will be eaten alive, their bones picked clean and their packs carried off and sold on e-bay by the head black fly. If you have never experienced black fly season in Maine ---DONT. One south bounder told me he actually slept in filthy stinking privys just to avoid the black flies. If you must hike naked in Maine do it in town where there are not so many black flies. ( I live in Mount Vernon, Maine and any and all naked ladies are welcome to hike here on June 21'st but don't bring LW or Jester)
:welcome to Maine, (after black fly season)

derekthered
02-01-2007, 18:30
i find this thread rather amusing after attending Burning Man this past year, where a good third of the people were naked. i don't mind it, but keep the sexual activity confined to the tents.

Socrates
02-01-2007, 19:30
I'll skinny dip, but hiking naked just doesn't sound comfortable.

buckowens
02-01-2007, 19:35
My 9 year old daughter and I will be on the trail that day on the 10th of a 14 day trip. I had better give her a briefing before we start out so she's not too shocked!!! Knowing her she will laugh her head off...

RAT
02-01-2007, 19:54
I seem to remember some rules posted at the edge of Damascus that made it quite clear that nudity in public was not permitted anywhere in town. Is my memory accurate?

Yes I have seen more than one arrested for exposing themselves in public in damascus during Trail Daze. The latest was a good looking chick who thought it was ok to go topless, she even asked the local cop who said "Sure !! " Then when she did it, was promptly put into a police cruiser that just happen to be occupied by the mayor at the time (for the parade) ha ha talk about a funny picture seeing the naked chick sitting in cruiser beside the mayor ha ha ha ha ha,, so yes it is ilegal.

RAT

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 20:12
Yes I have seen more than one arrested for exposing themselves in public in damascus during Trail Daze. The latest was a good looking chick who thought it was ok to go topless, she even asked the local cop who said "Sure !! " Then when she did it, was promptly put into a police cruiser that just happen to be occupied by the mayor at the time (for the parade) ha ha talk about a funny picture seeing the naked chick sitting in cruiser beside the mayor ha ha ha ha ha,, so yes it is ilegal.

RAT

As a supplement to my earlier post, here's a very possible scenario for that "chick". She gets arrested, and told she just has to pay a $50 fine and can go, with a guilty plea to "simple indecent exposure." Rather than come back in 2 months for a trial that she might win, but at a large cost for a lawyer (yeah, to find a "loophole" like, "The police officer I asked said it was OK. That's him over there at the prosecution table, Your Honor!" Them loopholes, you know, the truth, sure are fun to find!) Anyhow, off she goes.

Then she's driving down the road in, say, Oklahoma, where, under my not-unreasonable scenario, she lives. She gets stopped for driving 70 in a 55 zone. The police officer runs a LEIN check. For those of you who don't know what "LEIN" is, it is the "Law Enforcement Information Network" and it will have most, if not all, criminal convictions for a given name, date of birth and drivers' license number. Up on the screen in the patrol car comes, "Conviction, Indecent Exposure, VA, 2007". The police officer looks to see if she is registered as a sex offender. She's not. He cuffs her, books her for Felony Failure To Register. This time she gets a lawyer, perhaps an "assigned counsel". He gets her a plea bargain so she plead to something and not have more jail time. But she still has to register. Anywhere she lives, just about.

Very scary. Some guy with a 9 year old daughter on the trail won't be as nice as as BuckOwens. And a life is going to get ruined.

The Weasel

MOWGLI
02-01-2007, 20:16
I was uncertain when I saw the post suggesting that an arrest for nudity would "carry the lable of sexual predator," and remember laughing about "National Nude Hiker Day" when I started in '00, so I checked.

The Weasel

Hey Russ. You keep posting that you were out there in 2000. But wasn't it 2001 when you attempted a thru? You hiked the year after me, if my memory serves me correct.

OrionTheRanger
02-01-2007, 20:19
Naked day? Who thought that up? I bet the only ones who go along with it are old, fat guys who have hair in the worst places.

Lets just hope theirs no starving birds that day , if ya get my drift.;)

The Weasel
02-01-2007, 20:48
Hey Russ. You keep posting that you were out there in 2000. But wasn't it 2001 when you attempted a thru? You hiked the year after me, if my memory serves me correct.

Nope! Got my tee shirts all say, '00! Came back for TD '01.

The Weasel

weary
02-01-2007, 22:20
It's neither indecent, nor constitutionally illegal to hike naked. I've seen a number of naked people on trails over the decades.

Among those I remember include: A guy and his girl friend came to our canoe campsite on a wild river one evening to take a swim and a bath. A nutty old woman walking haked in Massachusetts one summer day. Two kids, a student and a girl, hiking topless on a rainy day in Maine's hundred-mile-wilderness. They explained that it was warmer without all that clothing on to chill them in the breeze. Two 20 somethings skinny dipping some place in Virginia. It makes a good line when I show my trail slides to Senior citizen groups. I tell em "my wife says not to show these photos to old people", which always engenders a few laughs. Once a quivering voice came from the back of the room, "that's just what us old folks need."

Anyway. The human body is not intrincically indecent. Despite Weasel's good advice, hike anyway you want. But if you don't want to chance being classified as a sex offender or have a permanent court record, it's probably good to be on the safe side. Just have a few hundred thousand dollars stashed away with which to appeal a conviction to the US Supreme Court.

Weary

rickb
02-01-2007, 22:25
Worse still you could end up in small claims court.

SalParadise
02-01-2007, 23:17
Worse still you could end up in small claims court.

ba dum, ching!

Disney
02-02-2007, 04:54
I did it briefly. Got a picture with a loincloth to prove it. The loveable and irreverent Miss Janet took the shot. Definetely indecent though, fat and hairy.

soulrebel
02-02-2007, 11:30
Hang Loose! Who says it has to be the Summer Solstice to hike nekkid anyways!?!

Boat Drinks
02-02-2007, 13:49
You are cute! You're just a buckeye fan!

No doubt a cutie fur sure! But don't forget the little known fact that she has....... Oh wait, I almost forgot......."......happens....ruck....stays....ruck...."....:p

1Pint
02-02-2007, 15:22
No doubt a cutie fur sure! But don't forget the little known fact that she has....... Oh wait, I almost forgot......."......happens....ruck....stays....ruck...."....:p

I hate you Johnny! You better hike fast this year, because if I catch up to you (yeah, long shot, I know) then you're a dead man. Oops... not good to put death threats in writing. :datz

Would covered with blushes count as not indecent exposure? I wasn't fishing for compliments guys, but thanks just the same. To steal a line from Jester "And then I pretend to be slightly shy and embarassed by the praise, but I am not." Okay, maybe I am. Yep, definiately am. Back to work I go...:o

smokymtnsteve
02-03-2007, 18:32

yar//da weasel was out dar in200-..same year dat I wuz caretaker @iceh20

buckowens
02-03-2007, 22:48
I told my 9 year old about the potential of naked hikers on our hike in June. She was o.k. with it and laughed, but quickly asked if we had to do it!! I assured her nobody wanted to see us, and especially an old worn out Army guy naked!! :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2007, 14:10
Well, boys and girls, it's that time of year again. Who plans to 'have their flag flying' on Thursday this year?

1n the Sun
06-18-2007, 14:14
I hope to take a day hike thursday and go wading in the nude, but not exactly on the AT. We'll go picnicking at Cherokee Flats Thursday afternoon and see how the day suits us...

soulrebel
06-18-2007, 14:55
I didn't know that hike nekkid day was only on Jun 21st.

I'd like to apologize to the myriad of people that I've offended and thank the few older ladies for the "free" snickers bar and pocket change.

If you like the dancing banana here, you'll love the ones in the woods.

Uncle Silly
06-18-2007, 15:15
oh man... anyone know where in Boston i can go to celebrate HND?? i think i might even have the afternoon off... :D

Wonder
06-18-2007, 17:29
I really want to go.....but all of the hikers are gone...and I won't hike naked by myself................ that's it....I'm going to boston :-)

The Weasel
06-18-2007, 17:43

Not to spoil the fun, but yes. And if arrested, a guilty plea (to indecent exposure) can, under some state laws, constitute a "sexual offense" that can lead to being required to register (for life) as a sexual offender, with other limitations. See my article for a bit more.

So if you're going to, be aware, and be careful, and don't plead guilty and pay the fairly small fine without getting advice from a local lawyer.

The Weasel

ozt42
06-18-2007, 20:01
It's impossible for a woman to be 'indecently exposed' in the state of Maine. A couple of Umaine students took it to court to prove the point a couple of years ago. The reason? The Maine statute defines indecent exposure as exposing the genitals in public a woman's genitals are on the inside, ergo...

Welcome to Maine, ladies. Feel Free. :D

Programbo
06-18-2007, 20:49
Ugh..This sounds like another one of the "traditions" people talk about especially in combination with thru-hiking but most of which are fairly recent inventions..All part of the reality tv world of thru-hiking I suppose

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2007, 21:34
Programbo - this tradition been around at least since the mid-1960's - I remember people getting together to go hike nekked on the summer solstice every year.

Programbo
06-18-2007, 22:12
Programbo - this tradition been around at least since the mid-1960's - I remember people getting together to go hike nekked on the summer solstice every year.

Yes but is that a specific "AT tradition" or more an off-shoot of some sort of pagan solstice/earth-mother hippie thing and being naked outdoors anywhere rather than on the AT specifically? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2007, 22:17
I think it grew out of a mother earth / hippie thing rather than being an AT tradition.

smokymtnsteve
06-18-2007, 22:46
Nekkid ATV riding and blueberry pickin here in AK

Rain Man
06-18-2007, 22:48
So if you're going to, be aware, and be careful, and don't plead guilty and pay the fairly small fine without getting advice from a local lawyer.

Not bad advice, except perhaps for the "local lawyer" part, if that would be the only legal advice you sought. Check with the American Association for Nude Recreation first/also. Indeed, might be best to check with them before you hike nude where some uptight, Puritanical, anti-Constitution bigot might confuse simple nudity with sex and sexual offenses.

Rain:sunMan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2007, 06:38
Check with the American Association for Nude Recreation first/also. Indeed, might be best to check with them before you hike nude where some uptight, Puritanical, anti-Constitution bigot might confuse simple nudity with sex and sexual offenses.Good points, Rainman.
if arrested, a guilty plea (to indecent exposure) can, under some state laws, constitute a "sexual offense" that can lead to being required to register (for life) as a sexual offender, with other limitations.I'm shocked to hear (thanks Weasel) that simple nudity could be considered an offense worthy of being on the sexual predator register. Putting those who committed non-predatory crimes on the register would limit its usefulness for the intended purpose.

buckowens
06-19-2007, 06:54
Hi all!

Roo (my 9 year old) and I left Amicalola on 11 June, and I am writing this from my tent in Unicoi Gap. A couple of days ago we talked to a girl at Neels Gap who says it is a big thing and she knows a bunch of guys who do it religiously... Roo keeps asking me about it and seems to think the whole thing is funny. Should be interesting... We have only been running into a few people a day on the trail so maybe we are safe!!

superman
06-19-2007, 06:56
LOL I stopped in at the Vet Center in WRJ, VT yesterday. There was another old Vietnam Vet there and he had taken up hiking last year. The first time he went out hiking he met three guys hiking naked. He didn't know why they were hiking naked or if he would see more weird stuff out on the trails. His enthusiasm was restored when he found that it was only one day a year and that it is optional. As a Marine he served two tours on the DMZ and he'd seen a lot of stuff but he wasn't prepared for naked hikers. He's ok with it now that he knows what it's about. Plus, as those three naked hikers demonstrated...it's no big thing.

1n the Sun
06-19-2007, 07:28
flip flopping you wing ding in the woods with bugs, humidity and hiking effort certainly will make it NO BIG THING

buckowens
06-23-2007, 12:33
I am happy to report that June 21st, our last day on the trail saw no nakedness!! Roo was actually looking forward to it!! Anybody else have any reported sightings??

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2007, 14:15
Am also happy to report no naked hiker sightings on 21 June......

Of course, we were in Waynesboro all day long, so this is probably a good thing.

The Ming Garden Buffet is festive enough without such distractions. (Oh, and Lone Wolf is correct, the Min Dynasty restaurant in Bristol near his house is probably better).

In any case we're heading back to the Ming again this evening. The pan-fried dumplings are not to be missed.

Oh.....sad but true. While there was probably a "General Zuo" (he lived from
1812-85), there is no reason to believe he's in any way responsible for the famous chicken dish allegedly named in his honor.

But we'll have some anyway.

See some of you guys in 2 weeks in Duncannon......

Moon Monster
06-23-2007, 22:00
Oh.....sad but true. While there was probably a "General Zuo" (he lived from
1812-85), there is no reason to believe he's in any way responsible for the famous chicken dish allegedly named in his honor.

Too true: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A59302-2002Apr16

ridgewalker777
06-26-2007, 12:28
I took off my tee shirt as I walked into Manchester--not as a display of nakedness, rather lacking anything but a smelly shirt, and got a little disrespect. The health food store was cool about it, but the Northshire warned me I had to go outside with the coffee. There is a thrift shop there with $1 tee shirts...

Dr O
06-27-2007, 08:44
Well, boys and girls, it's that time of year again. Who plans to 'have their flag flying' on Thursday this year?

Not me, maybe I'll show off my Leki next year. :p

Shiraz-mataz
06-27-2007, 11:52
As a side note to this discussion, there are several places where it is 100% legal for women to go topless anywhere men can go topless. One of those places is the entire state of New York. And you don't have to wait for "Hike Naked Day" to exercise your rights either! I'm not trying to be lurid - just a proponent of equal rights. Something to consider on those hot days in the Empire State. :-?

RockyBob
06-27-2007, 13:42
As a side note to this discussion, there are several places where it is 100% legal for women to go topless anywhere men can go topless. One of those places is the entire state of New York. And you don't have to wait for "Hike Naked Day" to exercise your rights either! I'm not trying to be lurid - just a proponent of equal rights. Something to consider on those hot days in the Empire State. :-?

We should all pray for hot sunny days in NY :sun

wallace
06-27-2007, 13:59
Check out M&M's journal entry for that day:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=189708

leeki pole
06-27-2007, 14:47
Umm, I did.:rolleyes: In honor of my brethren hiking the hallowed Trail, I took my faithful canine companions on their morning devotional in full faith and credit of the Day. Of course, it was on my back 40, so the only strange look was from my dogs who told me, "what the #### are you doing?" But it was pretty fun, nevertheless!:) (my wife thinks I'm crazy) and I probably am

leeki pole
06-27-2007, 14:54
but I did have shoes and socks on...does that count?;)

Askus3
07-03-2007, 03:06
On June 21, I hiked a stretch of the AT from south of Moriah near Imp shelter to Carter Notch Hut in the Whites southbound. I only saw 5 hikers the whole day and none in our group of 6 or those other 5 had any intentions of disrobing. The weather had a major factor in that decision as we dealt with a hail storm at 2 PM on top of Middle Crater and a wind gust that knocked us off our feet and made us crawl the open 30 yards on the summit of Mt. Hight in dense fog. With a temp in the 50s, it just wasn't conducive to nudity.

OldStormcrow
07-09-2007, 12:38
Ok....I guess this thread rolls around every year about this time, so I will attempt to clarify the situation....again. It is completely legal to be nude in the National Forests. It is completely illegal to be nude in the National Parks, State Parks, The Blue Ridge Parkway Corridor, National Monuments, public roads and highways, and inside most city limits. I try to pick my nude hikes where I probably won't run into the Boy or Girl Sprouts. Not only to save them any unwanted eye-burn from seeing a "hairy old (not fat) naked man", but because they make 'way too much noise and littler for my tastes. Choose your hike with prudence and don't forget to wear bug juice AND sunscreen!