PDA

View Full Version : PocketMail batteries

sierra765
02-01-2007, 11:15
I've ordered my PocketMail, but am going out this morning to purchase lithium batteries. Does anyone know what types of batteries it uses?:-?

Footslogger
02-01-2007, 11:39
AA's

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
02-01-2007, 12:48
two AA's batteries

highway
02-07-2007, 17:47
Is a pocketmail really better than doing journal entries by hand?

Is it easier to input those smallish keys rather than to write in a journal?

What is the capacity (megabytes?) for keyed in info.

Once uploaded to wherever (?) is it necessary to delete that which was stored so as to begin fresh, or continue on from where it was left off?

Is it as easy to correct the document as it is in Word?

i write voluminous notes in a Journal and do it daily. I am wondering if it just may be easier typing rather than writing.

I sure would like to see one.

Marta
02-07-2007, 19:05
Yes, it's easier than doing journal entries by hand, especially if you want to have a Trail Journal, or send your journal to family and friends.

I became pretty fast at two-finger typing.

Don't know. There's limit to the size of each email. You can go to the main menu and see how much of the total memory has been used.

The stuff you sent is saved until you act to delete it.

Not as easy to correct as Word. But easier than in a hand-written document.

I am a prolific journalist and emailer. PocketMail was definitely the way to go for me.

Mine is about 3" x 6 1/2" and one inch deep. I think there are pictures on the PocketMail website.

Marta/Five-Leaf

RedneckRye
02-07-2007, 20:14
I used PocketMail last year on the PCT. Loved it. You get really good really good typing with your thumbs. There aren't nearly as many picnic tables on the PCT as AT, but I also got pretty good typing with my fore and middle fingers when I could set it on a table like flat spot.
I did my journal entry (most) every night as an e-mail to Marty, my guy back home who burned CDs to SD cards for my mp3 player, converted all of my SD cards of photos to CDs, and uploaded all of my trailjournal e-mails to the trailjournal site. Hooray for the people back home.
It seemed like Pocketmail was much more prevalent out on the PCT than the AT last year. I did from Springer to Erwin in March and I don't recall seeing more than 1 or 2 folks with Pocketmail. On the PCT it seemed like about 40% of folks were carrying one.
It sure was nice not to have to wait for a computer at the library, hostel, or wherever just to send and check e-mail.
As far as batteries, I think I changed them every 4 or 5 weeks. I don't know how much memory it has, but I never deleted anything I sent. I regularly deleted e-mails I had recieved after I read them and forwarded them (if I wanted them for later reference) to my Gmail account.

Johnny Swank
02-08-2007, 08:37
It sure was nice not to have to wait for a computer at the library, hostel, or wherever just to send and check e-mail.

As far as batteries, I think I changed them every 4 or 5 weeks. I don't know how much memory it has, but I never deleted anything I sent. I regularly deleted e-mails I had recieved after I read them and forwarded them (if I wanted them for later reference) to my Gmail account.

Amen to not finding, hiking to, and jockeying for internet access. I found myself spending waaaayy too much time doing that on the AT, plus I'd almost always surf the web doing nothing instead of getting my junk in gear and getting out of town.

We CC'd our outgoing mail to a Gmail account on the Mississippi river, but kept a ton a messages on the Pocketmail account as well for moral support. There's a meter on the unit that tells you how much memory you have left.

Bottom line - I wouldn't do another long trip without one, or something similar.