PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I edit my post?

OrionTheRanger
02-01-2007, 19:21
Title says it all. I'm not that good a typer. and this would sure be helpfull..

n2o2diver
02-01-2007, 19:23
Not absolutely sure, but I think you have to be a donating member to have the edit function.

hammock engineer
02-01-2007, 19:25
Yep you have to donate. Worth the price of admission. Plus it helps keep this site up and running.

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 19:30
Here's how to donate (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=atdatabase). Click the paypal/donate icon. We'd be glad to have you as a donating member and it's only $10.00.

Toolshed
02-01-2007, 19:54
Kid's only 14. Don't know if it is a good thing.

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 20:00
Kid's only 14. Don't know if it is a good thing.

We'll see.

Blissful
02-01-2007, 20:04
You get to create your own avatar too. :)

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 20:08
...and access to the AT Database.

stuco
02-01-2007, 21:19
I was wondering the same thing. I've been meaning to donate anyway.

RAT
02-01-2007, 22:01
But isnt it time restricted per donation?

RAT

mambo_tango
02-01-2007, 22:03
365 days as a 'donating member' for one donation

weary
02-01-2007, 22:35
365 days as a 'donating member' for one donation
Right. I got a notice yesterday that my 30 bucks had run out. Today my right to edit disappeared. If I had been asked, I would have advised that AT Troll give a bit of leeway -- especially to us "big" and elderly donors, two days before our Social Security checks arrive.

Anyway, I apologize to those forced to read my incoherent posts. Being condemned by the lack of talent to write by trial and error, I need that edit button.

Weary

Cookerhiker
02-01-2007, 22:40
I renewed just in time. I thought my time was up so I emailed Troll who pointed out that if you go to your profile and click on "Subscriptions," you'll find your expiration date. There's no automatic notice so you have to remember.

StarLyte
02-01-2007, 22:40
Right. I got a notice yesterday that my 30 bucks had run out. Today my right to edit disappeared. If I had been asked, I would have advised that AT Troll give a bit of leeway -- especially to us "big" and elderly donors, two days before our Social Security checks arrive.

Anyway, I apologize to those forced to read my incoherent posts. Being condemned by the lack of talent to write by trial and error, I need that edit button.

Weary

Coincidentally, mine also expired yesterday. Didn't take any chances and filled up. I use that edit button frequently, especially for editing captions on my photos. It's so easy to mispell a Trail name.

I too lack the writing talent and must proof. You're a good writer Weary.

weary
02-01-2007, 22:50
Coincidentally, mine also expired yesterday. Didn't take any chances and filled up. I use that edit button frequently, especially for editing captions on my photos. It's so easy to mispell a Trail name.

I too lack the writing talent and must proof. You're a good writer Weary.
Well, at least a good editor.

rhjanes
02-02-2007, 00:47
Restricting the edit button to those who donate is an absolutely terrible idea if you want to run a coherent and useful website not littered with duplicate posts and posts to correct spelling errors....

except! trolls love the edit feature! I've seen two, non-hiker forums, with resident trolls. the "regulars" caught on, so when they would see some flame-job post, they would always cut and paste it into a post in the thread by themselves. Otherwise, after the war started, the trolls would then use the edit feature, re-word their post and then play the "what? little old me??? Why I never!!!"

Roland
02-02-2007, 01:17
Restricting the edit button to those who donate is an absolutely terrible idea if you want to run a coherent and useful website not littered with duplicate posts and posts to correct spelling errors....

except! trolls love the edit feature! ~~~ the trolls would then use the edit feature, re-word their post and then play the "what? little old me??? Why I never!!!"

THAT is exactly why the edit feature was turned off for a while. Attroll decided to reinstate the edit function, to those willing to support the site, on the theory that donors would not abuse the privilege.

I think it was a good call. It's been a year since edit has been available to donating members. To my knowledge, it has been used responsibly and has not cause any problems, just as attroll predicted.