PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear the music?

OrionTheRanger
02-01-2007, 20:07
What does the words Music On the AP mean to you? I can't live without my music, its what keep me sane. I know an MP3 on the trail wouldn't work, so I am bringing my Guitar. Yes, I play guitar. And of course I know a few songs to sing.

What do you do for music, if anything, while hiking?

Skidsteer
02-01-2007, 20:12
From what I hear on WB and see on the trail, lots of folks carry small radios, Ipods, etc. Carry it if it's important to you.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2007, 20:30
What does the words Music On the AP mean to you? I can't live without my music, its what keep me sane. I know an MP3 on the trail wouldn't work, so I am bringing my Guitar. Yes, I play guitar. And of course I know a few songs to sing.

nugent and gilmour hike with me.

RedneckRye
02-01-2007, 23:01
I had no problem with my mp3 player, an RCA Lyra. 1gig of internal memory, slot for 1gig sd card so I could get new tunes from home, runs on one AAA battery, has an FM receiver. The guitar / harmonica carrying guys that couldn't play or sing (not to imply anything about your skills), that can be a problem. Thank god drums can't be carried too far into the woods.

RAT
02-01-2007, 23:13

LOL

If you pay my way, I`ll hike with you and show you how to really play that thing ;)

RAT

hammock engineer
02-01-2007, 23:53

I think you mean AT for Appalahian Trail, not AP. But then again I have been wrong before.

freefall
02-02-2007, 01:38
would've voted radio but wasn't an option. get's better battery life than most mp3 players.

spittinpigeon
02-02-2007, 08:53

POLL IN A POLL:
David Gilmour
or
Mark Knopfler

Lilred
02-02-2007, 09:52
I take my Ipod. I bought the wall adapter to recharge it when in town. Worked great for my section last summer.

Footslogger
02-02-2007, 10:01
In 2003 I carried a small FM radio (Radio Shack) that clipped onto my sternum strap. Had the earphones that hooked over my ears and would not fall out/off while I hiked. For the most part I was happier hiking without music, just listening to the natural sounds around me. But now and then there were long boring sections and music helped the time/miles pass. Also, there are sections of the trail where wearing headphones might interfere with your ability to hear a rattlesnake giving you a warning.

Since my thru I have gotten a Zen Nano that has an FM radio plus a Gig of recorded music. I would probably opt for that on my next thru just for variety sake. But I doubt I would ever hike without some type of device like this for a break, the ability to check out a news/weather report or just some quiet entertainment in my tent at night.

'Slogger

4eyedbuzzard
02-02-2007, 10:20
Yes, I play guitar. And of course I know a few songs to sing.

Well, some guy did the AT and the PCT and some other stuff with his Tuba. I have to give you the benefit of having a better campfire song instrument. And if the going really gets rough you can use that "Kabonger" for kindling, or in a worse case scenario to fend off bears, dogs, and even yogiing hikers. Your trail name isn't El Kabong is it?

rafe
02-02-2007, 10:30
POLL IN A POLL:
David Gilmour
or
Mark Knopfler

..... Knopfler.

MOWGLI
02-02-2007, 10:32
Knopfler all the way! One of my favorite musicians!

rafe
02-02-2007, 10:39
I distinctly remember the first time I heard Sultans of Swing... and thinking... is that Dylan? That would be about 35 years back.

stuco
02-02-2007, 11:11
You taking a travel guitar of a full sized instrument?

RAT
02-02-2007, 20:38
POLL IN A POLL:
David Gilmour
or
Mark Knopfler

Too hard to choose between them, so I choose,,, me :) (can play either one ;) )

RAT