PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in late Feb... Do I have the right clothing??

Socrates
02-02-2007, 01:58
I live in Florida so trying to test my winter clothing is next to impossible here for a late Feb start in the mountains. So here is what I have and would like for you to evaluate if it will be enough to keep me warm on the trail...

Top:
North Face Apex Bionic Insulated Softshell
Marmot Midweight Base Layer long
Marmot Evolution Windshirt
Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover
North Face Venture Rain Jacket

Bottom:
North Face Paramount Cargo Pants
Marmot Midweight Base Layer
North Face Venture Rain Pants

My gloves aren't waterproof and my socks are smartwool. And what the hell are gaters or gators? Needed?

Thanks!

rafe
02-02-2007, 02:01
Go. You'll be fine. You might freeze your toches off once or twice, but you'll figure it out as you go. Gators are optional. Used to be very popular, now not so much.

hammock engineer
02-02-2007, 02:11
Here are a couple thoughts. Disclaimer this is just my opinion. In the end I really don't know anything.

If you are open to some changes consider this. Next to my skin I like a base layer. Right now it is a smartwool short seleve then a smartwool long seleve. Then a insulated layer. Right now a MEC primaloft jacket. This does cut some of the wind. Then a wind breaking layer. Right now my golite rain jacket. On the bottom a similar deal. I have midweight smartwool bottoms, swim trunks sans liner (I don't like the look of the smartwool alone) useful when smartwool is not needed, then my rainpants.

I also use gaiters. I like them.

You have 3 things to block the wind. May want to look at them.

In the end I do not want to tell anyone to take cold weather gear out of their pack for the cold weather months. Especially someone not used to the cold. If you think you will be cold. Take a little extra. It's easier to ship back then need it later. I'll see you out there.

hammock engineer
02-02-2007, 02:14
Also look into a windproof mitten. Way warmer than gloves. I plan on taking them and a liner glove.

I also added a pair of Vaper Barrier socks. My feet tend to get cold, mainly on the cold nights aroung camp.