PDA

View Full Version : Any outfitters in Atlanta?

Skipper the Eyechild
02-02-2007, 10:19
Hi, I will be flying over to Atlanta from England to start the AT later this month, but there are still some things I will need to get before I start, to capitalise on the current favourable exchange rates £/$ and also because American equipment seems generally better (or at least is more debated on this site).

I was thus wondering if anyone could help me in locating good outfitters in Atlanta, or on the way to Amicalola Falls.

Any help would be great. Can't wait to get started!

The Doctor
02-02-2007, 10:23
REI(3 of them) all arounf atlanta

Lone Wolf
02-02-2007, 10:24
www.rei.com/stores/33

Almost There
02-02-2007, 10:28
High Country Outfitters is in the north of the city carries products that REI usually doesn't carry in store...typically their gear caters more to people who know what they want vs. the big box mentality of REI. Both are great but different. I have bought gear at both places, you could also wait and get a shuttle from the Hiker Hostel and have them take you to Mountain Crossings and get your gear from the "experts"....I might suggest this, it would keep you travelling light.

Jim Adams
02-02-2007, 10:32
Mountain Crossings is worth the wait and ride! "EXPERTS"

geek

troglobil
02-02-2007, 10:35
there is also Outside World in Dawsonville. Never been there though so I can't give you any reccomendations

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2007, 10:48
I second the ap-praise-al of Mountain Crossings. If you have the time and transportation, I would advise you to go there to buy gear - it will likely be cheaper (due to buying the right gear on the first try) and make for a more enjoyable hike for you.

soulrebel
02-02-2007, 10:54
Mtn Crossings is only a few days away, but if you need to goto REI I live one block from the train station and can give you a ride there--it's about a 5 minute car ride.

stuco
02-02-2007, 10:58
Check out Rei and High Country for sure.

Buckles
02-02-2007, 11:43
If you're using public transportation, the REI-Perimeter store is a 1/2 block east from the Sandy Springs MARTA (light rail) station.

Gadog430
02-02-2007, 11:50
I third the remarks that say wait for Mountain Crossings. But REI and High Country are excellent choices too.

I always say at Mountain Crossings you can separate the hardcore from the lay person. The hardcore goes in and takes an immediate left. The lay person takes a right or goes straight ahead to the t-shirt section.

That place is just like Mecca for hikers. To me there is a special feeling just being there. Anyone else feel that way?

Maybe it's just because I grew up in the Atlanta area and have been around there since I was a child.

Dawg

Dawg

Two Speed
02-02-2007, 12:10
Mountain Crossings, definitely. REI and High (priced) Country will sell you LOTS of gear. Mountain Crossings will point you to what you need. Big difference.

Almost There
02-02-2007, 12:16
If I need to go close to home...it's REI or High Country depending on what brand I am looking for, I've always gotten good service from High Country, but then again they know I know what I am looking for....

Outside world is more for hunters and fishers...my wife and I walked in...and pretty much walked out.

Again, use Josh and Leigh at the Hiker Hostel, make a reservation, tell them the situation, and I know they will take you up to Mtn. X-ings before your hike, I might suggest you get your boots/shoes first, only because they don't have a large selection up there, but it depends on your feet, I have to be picky.

max patch
02-02-2007, 12:26
Anyone ever check out the large store on I-575 (or the Appalchian Highway) around Jasper? Don't know what its called.

Skipper the Eyechild
02-02-2007, 12:26
Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah - I have some of the more essential things, like boots & rucksack, but it seems I'll have no problems getting the rest.

Cheers, Tom.

briarpatch
02-02-2007, 12:38
Almost There said ". . . . . . . Outside world is more for hunters and fishers...my wife and I walked in...and pretty much walked out. . . . . . . . "

You are thinking of Outdoor Traditions ( http://www.outdoortraditions.com/pages/1/index.htm ), they are mostly hunting and fishing.

The Outside World ( http://www.theoutsideworld.net/) is the kayaking and hiking store on the right just before the outlet mall (going northbound on 400). They also carry Scout stuff.

troglobil
02-02-2007, 17:02
Briarpatch,
have you aver been to outside world? Decent selections?

Almost There
02-02-2007, 17:14
Briarpatch you are absolutely right, my bad, you're talking about the place that has the indoor Kayak pool, completely forgot about that one, not bad, but I prefer the other two.

Boat Drinks
02-02-2007, 17:32
That place is just like Mecca for hikers. To me there is a special feeling just being there. Anyone else feel that way?

Maybe it's just because I grew up in the Atlanta area and have been around there since I was a child.

Dawg

Kinda like when I first walked into an Edwin Watts...:D

SteveJ
02-02-2007, 17:38
Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah - I have some of the more essential things, like boots & rucksack, but it seems I'll have no problems getting the rest.

Cheers, Tom.

Hi, Tom - if you're settled on what you want, and plan to get it at REI - watch for sales at their online outlet - buy there and have it shipped (free) to their store.... if you're not sure what size, order a couple of sizes, try 'em on when you go to pick them up, and return what doesn't fit to the store for instant credit.....

briarpatch
02-02-2007, 18:02
Briarpatch,
have you aver been to outside world? Decent selections?

I've been in there a few times, usually to pick up something last minute on my way to the trail. I bought my 11 year old some Crocs there, but haven"t really looked over their gear selections too closely. I remember that they had a good selection of clothing, and it looked like they had a good boot, stove and fuel selection, as well. Their website lists lots of popular brand names.

briarpatch
02-02-2007, 18:10
Briarpatch you are absolutely right, my bad, you're talking about the place that has the indoor Kayak pool, completely forgot about that one, not bad, but I prefer the other two.

Outdoor Traditions does run some funny commercials on local cable about "outdoor sports that never caught on". One features a couple "thru-crawling" the AT. It shows them wearing knee pads and external frame packs crawling along on a trail and talking about how they expect the sport to catch on. Another has a guy in camo bow hunting for trees.

There used to be an outdoor store just off of Holcomb Bridge Road in Roswell named "Call of the Wild". They had switched to a climbing orientation a few years back. I don't know if they are still in business.

Egads
02-03-2007, 18:02
Skipper,

U can buy gear made for the masses from REI online & have it shipped free of charge to the Perimeter REI store (1 block from the rapid transit train station).

You should wait until you get to Mountain Crossings @ Neels Gap if you want better gear. (i.e. Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Montbell bags vs TNF, Marmot, REI brand)

Most REI sales associates are helpful, friendly people. You can't beat REI's great return & dividend policy.

Mountain Crossings is staffed by hikers who actually use the gear they sell. They stock what they (& you) want to use.

Definitely wait for Mountain Crossings if you tend to go UL. You can't get it at REI.

Post when you get here & maybe some of the locals can help you out or hike with you.

Egads

orangebug
02-03-2007, 22:02
Or if you know what you want from home (UK), see if it can be shipped to you General Delivery to the Post Office at the airport or to Hiker Hostel. Ditto if there are items you find online from Campmor, Steep and Cheap or other vendors. Almost there has given you all of the resources in Atlanta. There is much wisdom in using Mountain Crossings, but I'd be scared if a Brit told me to wait until I visited a wide spot in the road before getting my first ale in a pub.

Mountain Crossings ain't even a wide spot.

Skipper the Eyechild
02-04-2007, 14:36
Once again, cheers for all the help.

Tom

Whistler
02-05-2007, 02:23
Someone mentioned Outside World in Dawsonville. I'd definitely recommend them. They're right between Mtn. Crossings and REI, both in terms of geography and in thru-hiker-friendly gear selection. I stop by the store pretty much every time I'm driving home from a hike via Hwy400.

-Mark