PDA

View Full Version : Advice of costs of gear

tennisund
07-18-2003, 01:12
Advice on costs of gear
Hey! I am planning a trip in three years. I have questions for those who have already done it. Here it is:

I read on the ATC website that most equipment costs between $1000-$2000. My backpack, tent, utensils, and cook set only costs about $275. My backpack costs about $130, my tent is about $60, and my sleeping bag is about $60. Are they good or not good? Is food and clothes what costs so much?

If there is any hints, advice, whatever, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Kevin

Blue Jay
07-18-2003, 07:28
If something works for you, cost is not an issue. You do not have to spend a pile of money. If a sleeping bad you get for $10 at Goodwill keeps you warm and allows you to sleep well you would be foolish to spend more. Save your money for food.

jlb2012
07-18-2003, 08:25
but ... if your pack ends up at 60 lbs you may want to replace some of your gear with lighter stuff (lighter generally means more expensive but not always - ex alcohol stoves)

Blue Jay
07-18-2003, 10:05
Good Point HOI, I meant that but didn't say it.

squirrel bait
07-18-2003, 17:47
So my Texsport bivy will hold up if I take normal care. I plan on using in on my training workup, but hoe about on a thru hike>

Dirtyoldman
07-19-2003, 01:08
Just spend what you want to afford. yes you can spend a few grand but you can also spend only a few dollars. Being resourcefull can save you a lot if you are carefull of what you buy and just avoiding the gimmicks can put you way ahead of things.

Above all else tho make sure that what ever you chose works for you.

stranger
07-20-2003, 21:26
Unfortunately some pieces of gear require spending substantial dollars...but it completely depends on you and your needs. On my last big hike I carried a $300 pack...but a $40 tarp. I carry expensive OR stuff sacks but use a home-made stove. See what's right for you and your wallet.

tlbj6142
07-21-2003, 09:56
Check out SGT Rock's website. He has an old gear list that is sub-15# and less than $300.

Being the nice guy that I am, here is the link (http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html).

The key is to find a pack and a bag cheap (watch the outlets like REI's outlet page and/or Sierratradingpost.com). The other items are much easier to find onsale and/or cheap versions.

I'd like to add Rain Sheild's O2 jacket/pants. You can find them at Wal-Mart (sometimes) for $30 for the entire set. They are a bit fragile, but if you are careful they will last. Of course, they only come in easter egg yellow.

XXL Jacket 5.9oz
XL Pants 3.9oz