PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Handling?

Alligator
02-02-2007, 14:34
How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?

Lone Wolf
02-02-2007, 14:35
they're treated just fine.

jlb2012
02-02-2007, 14:53
better here than many of the other forums which have more trolls

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2007, 15:02
I think sometimes they're intimidated.

People come on kinda strong here at WB sometimes, and I think it's a good idea to check out the "Number of Posts" figure sometimes before responding to someone, and maybe taking it down a notch when you realize you're talking to a new guy. People come here to learn, not to be preached at or yelled at, and people that get a bad feeling or bad reception here when they're new aren't likely to stick around. Nor are they willing to speak well of the website to their friends or other people they talk to about the Trail. First impressions can be important.

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of "newbies" are lurkers, i.e. they haven't yet posted, in some cases, because they don't want to get jumped on. EVERYONE should feel comfortable contributing to Whiteblaze, regardless of how "new" they are.

So the next time someone poses a question that old veterans might think is a silly one, or the next time someone posts their gear list with some odd things on it, it couldn't hurt to be a bit kinder with the responses.

Every thru-hiker was a "newbie" once, and for a lot of them, this wasn't a long time ago, either. There is no more important purpose for this website than to help new people with ideas and suggestions that will help them to have a better time on the A.T. That's really what we're all about here. When you're posting to someone who's obviously new to hiking, or new to the A.T., keep this in mind, and talk to them the way YOU would have wanted to be treated way back when.

Cuz "way back when", for some folks, might have been just a year or two ago.

1Pint
02-02-2007, 15:10
WB was the first forum I'd ever participated. As a complete newbie to posting etiquette and long-distance hiking, I have to say thanks to the WB community. :clap

Lots of long-term WB members are willing to continually respond to the repetitive questions (thanks Footslogger, Dino, BigCranky, Mags, MedicineMan, Moxie, RAT, Kerosene, Toolshed, Smile, HOI, Hammock Engineer, Hammock Hanger, Mowgli16, Blissful, JohnnySwank, MountainSquid, Jack Tarlin, and all of you!) that we newbie long-distance hikers and newbie posters bring up.

I think it's pretty rare for a newbie's question to go unanswered. That, in itself is a testament to positive treatment. :)

Singe03
02-02-2007, 15:33
I really see newbies getting treated for the most part like everyone else, meaning the response is often dictated by the tone and topic of their post rather than their post count. I started reading and posting in 2002 and got great advice, most of my trip planning was done right here and I felt welcome and comfortable posting right from the very beginning.

Unfortunately there are a few topics here that always seem to get really heated in a hurry and sometimes newbies run afoul of those topics (guns on the trail, dogs on the trail, Wingfoot, Warren Doyle, few others), those threads are often the biggest and most updated so it could give a false impression that the community is unfriendly.

I can't think of any normal hiking questions, like resupply questions or what to carry questions getting heated, even if some of the "pros" have answered them 500 times.

bfitz
02-02-2007, 15:39
A few people just invite disaster and that just can't be helped. For the most part those that come along get as well as they give. Better than most places one might find oneself.

Boat Drinks
02-02-2007, 15:39
I felt welcome immediately. I was never yelled at to go do a search for a question I asked for the 1000th time, that was nice. I know how to search, I like to search, but sometimes it's better to ask, start dialog, follow up questions, more dialog and so-forth, makes for good "Guided Discovery" type learning. Or like Hillary(spit spit) said, "So let's talk, let's chat, let's start a dialog about your ideas and mine." :datz :D

bfitz
02-02-2007, 15:40
Note the increasing membership.

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2007, 15:41
Many of whom don't post. :rolleyes:

bfitz
02-02-2007, 15:49
Well, the newer ones are joining rgardless, the number at the bottom of the screen increases daily...

the_iceman
02-12-2007, 11:27
Where else can you get this kind of input?

Where else can you post without the “administrator(s)” forcing his/her opinion into every post?

I have never had an entire thread disappear here because an Admin’s opinion was opposed by the majority of posters.

Whiteblaze has solid information from experienced people who tell it like they see it. For the most part they respect one another’s opinion even when they disagree.

The numbers say it all. I come to Whiteblaze and there are 300 people online. On other sites I visit I find only 5 or 10 online these days. I guess all legends fade away over time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-12-2007, 11:33
Most newbies are treated well. Once in a while I see something said to a newbie that makes me cringe, but overall I feel WB does an excellent job of bringing newbies into the 'family'.

rafe
02-12-2007, 12:17
Many of whom don't post. :rolleyes:

It's the same situation on every Internet forum I've ever been on, regardless of the topic.

moondoggy
02-12-2007, 12:37
I'm a newbie....posted earlier this year. I was treated great..(Starlyte, LWolf and others)....got great information that made for a wonderful first hike. At least first hike in a long time....
I'm hooked, now I read or at least glance at WB every day.....

quasarr
09-26-2007, 12:43
Hello everyone, I need help!

For some reason there are a bunch of threads that I can't post in!!! The "message" box turns grey and I can't write anything in it. Also, I tried to send a private message and the same thing happened. :( thought maybe it's b/c I'm a new user and I have restricted privileges, but I can't find anything about that in the site info.

I would've posted this in another thread or made my own, but like I said I'm unable to. I can't figure out why some threads let me post and most others won't. Help!!!!!

jesse
09-26-2007, 12:51
I think they are treated good, unless they start out stirring the pot with topics like global warming, "cruelty free hiking", etc.

Why was the poll closed after 50 votes?

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 12:55
You may have to join certain "groups" to post to them, such as politics and sensitive trail subjects. Also, once a thread is closed by the administrators, you cannot post in it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups

Being a new user does not restrict you in any way. You're either registered or not. Donating allows you to edit your posts.

You can join "groups" at that link.

musicwoman
09-26-2007, 13:02
I am a newbie, and I can tell you I've been treated with nothing but respect, and many people here have given me wonderful advice and tips on planning my hike and getting my equipment list. What an encouraging group of individuals!!

Outlaw
09-26-2007, 13:27
I am a newbie, and I can tell you I've been treated with nothing but respect, and many people here have given me wonderful advice and tips on planning my hike and getting my equipment list. What an encouraging group of individuals!!

Yes we are. :D

IMHO very few people here at WB are confrontational... unless you get into sensitive issues, e.g. mooning the cog railway.

I too have learned a tremendous amount of info here and am grateful that people generally have the patience to answer some of my less intelligent/informed (read: dumbass) questions. That being said, a lot of questions posed by newbies have already been asked and answered, so doing a quick search can pay off.

Some info can also be gleaned by checking the manufacturers own website. HH and Spears, for example, are great sites to check for info on hammocks and hammock camping.

Alligator
09-26-2007, 13:27
I think they are treated good, unless they start out stirring the pot with topics like global warming, "cruelty free hiking", etc.

Why was the poll closed after 50 votes?There was a time limit on the poll.

Freeleo
09-26-2007, 13:45
i think of myself as a newb...and would say i have been treated well

cannonball
09-26-2007, 14:16
Generally very well. Though I have noticed on the political forum a conservative is treated like a baby treats a diaper.

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 14:22
Generally very well. Though I have noticed on the political forum a conservative is treated like a baby treats a diaper.

Liberals aren't treated too well, either.

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 14:24
I would have to say both sides eat each other. Tribal warfare at it's best.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2007, 14:32
Same as thrubees. :D :welcome

Alligator
09-26-2007, 14:33
Well, the nice thing about 50 respondents is that the math is easy:). Only 12 % of respondents felt that newbies were treated less than OK and 78% felt that newbies were treated more than OK or better.

The Weasel
09-26-2007, 14:35
Gator is right, but we need to work to reduce the 12% even further, as well as improve the 10% who think it "neutral". New members are welcomed, valued, and universally the goal is to help them any way we can to do a good hike on the Trail.

TW

Gray Blazer
09-26-2007, 14:38
Two years ago, on the AT, a lot of people I talked to had never heard of WB. This past summer, almost everybody had heard of it (and recognized me by my trail name, but, that's beside the point). A lot of them said they just lurked because they saw a lot of flaming going on. Just saying. It seems to me that it's gotten a lot more civil lately.

Alligator
09-26-2007, 14:58
Gator is right, but we need to work to reduce the 12% even further, as well as improve the 10% who think it "neutral". New members are welcomed, valued, and universally the goal is to help them any way we can to do a good hike on the Trail.

TWAlways putting the ole Weasel spin on things. Eighty-eight percent of the people don't see it as problem. If you can find the other five people who voted with you, perhaps the six of you can work on it:D.

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 15:19
It is still a problem. Most people that vote with their feet don't respond to this. And those that vote vocally on the way out (A few hit our accounts) have good constructive critisizm. One thing I will say is it is amazing how there are some that say there is a lot of political bickering as their reason to leave - but the opt into that optional forum and don't opt out when it bothers them.

Lyle
09-26-2007, 15:23
I will say that when I first started posting, I was a bit taken aback at a reply I received. It was from someone who is generally HIGHLY regarded on this forum. For several months, I just refused to read any of this person's posts, and to this day this is one person I have no desire to actually meet. This is probably my loss, but as other's have said, first impressions are important.
I think EVERYONE should follow Jack's advice about taking a glance at the number of posts someone has made before using their post for joke material.

Generally the forum is welcoming.

jeffjenn
09-26-2007, 15:26
Hi I'm one of the newbies & would like to say even though I have only gotten in on a couple of posts people have been very nice & helpfull (ie Zelph). If I had to come up with something to make better it would be small, like having more people reply to posts. 200 people may view a post & only 2-3 answer. That's why people post is to hear what others think, know, or just want to say so let it rip the more the bettter. Thanks Jeff

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 15:31
Good point. I think in that case though when Zelph answers about alcohol stoves there isn't much left to say.

-SEEKER-
09-26-2007, 18:51
I think sometimes they're intimidated.

People come on kinda strong here at WB sometimes, and I think it's a good idea to check out the "Number of Posts" figure sometimes before responding to someone, and maybe taking it down a notch when you realize you're talking to a new guy....

Very well put. I agree, being a shy person who is trying to join in at times. I have not had any problems.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

mobileman
09-27-2007, 01:15
I joined WB 6-29-07. On 7-21-07 I made my 1st post and a total of 26 to this date of which 12 asked questions including 2 that started a question thread. My feeling is that WB members treated me very decently and it has been worthwile in preparing for my March 2008 thruhike attempt. While checking the many threads of interest, I have noticed that a (few) members seem to have adopted a critical attitude toward some of the other members. This took me by surprise, I soon learned to skip over their posts. Personally I think WB could be an even better network if personal attacks were via private messages. More newcomers might be less timid and ask questions instead of just reading threads. I know that I have learned from threads with questions and answers I had not even thought of. Every question has value, also, new answers regardless of how many times it is asked. To all of you who post, thank you, I am humbled by learning how little I know.

skinny minnie
09-27-2007, 09:43
I don't post a lot but the few times that I have, I've found people who responded to be very polite, friendly, and receptive. I do hesitate to post a bit more on here, just because at I feel like 80% of the subject matter that I think of has already been discussed.

Personally I think WB could be an even better network if personal attacks were via private messages.

Ummm, I respectfully beg to differ. I think a message sent directly to a person becomes even more personal and more likely to become hurtful. I would like to think that in a public forum, people tend to think twice before they plunge in and criticize, and if it's in a thread where others can participate there typically are many others willing to at least see both sides of the story, or even come to your defense. I think WB would be a fantastic network if there was no possibility of personal attacks at all, but realistically, I know that it will never happen. But I truly hope that no one ever attacks another person in the privacy of a message. At least have the balls to do it in public so that others can call you out. And if you are going to criticize, do it in a respectful, non-personal way. No name calling, no aggressiveness, no self rightousness. Occasionally I am thoroughly entertained by the disagreements on here, though. :)

Seeker
09-28-2007, 14:21
i had a bad experience as a newbie using a rather complicated (to me) system of posting gear reviews on an unnamed forum. i'm edumacated, gots a degree, and scrawl and talk the king's english (though i generally don't capitalize). :D however, i don't do html or web pages. i've yet to post on that site due to an administrator's rudeness.

i was well treated when i joined WhiteBlaze. Troll probably doesn't remember it, but he helped fix some problems i had early on with my login.

and then i went and jumped on a newbie awhile later. her log-in was Deb-something, i think. the thread was something about purifying bathing water. i resisted for awhile, but when someone else started to mock her ignorance, i too jumped in.

still don't know why i did it. in my defense, i was having a bad day. but that doesn't really matter. i knew better, and i shouldn't have posted anything at all if i was that cranky. i think it was one of the Dinos who told us to back off, and i'm grateful that they did... it reminded me what it was like as a newb, you know-that fear of how i'd be accepted. i acknowledged my rudeness online, and wrote her a PM apology, but i still feel bad. the plus side is that we have many posters (like the Dinos, Jack Tarlin, Wolf, Rock, et al) who will defend a newb and keep idiots and smart alecs like myself in line. It also taught me a lesson that applies everywhere, not just online.

overall, i think newbies are treated well, and as has been mentioned, there are folks here who patiently answer the same questions every year as the learning cycle comes around yet again. asking a question and listening to the responses is a lot different than looking up an old series and reading it... sorta like discussing philosopher over a beer with friends vs reading plato in the library by yourself...

sonic
09-28-2007, 14:40
Newb here (and if I can figure out how to quote somebody I wouldn't have to cut and paste it here): for jeffjenn:
"If I had to come up with something to make better it would be small, like having more people reply to posts. 200 people may view a post & only 2-3 answer."
I think being a newb is sometimes the reason we don't post often. I sometimes feel like I am here to learn and don't have enough info most of the time to tell somebody else what to do or how to do it. Often times a posts' name or lead-in might mislead us and we think it is about something and it isn't so we are only surfing and no intent on replying.

Tin Man
09-28-2007, 14:50
Participating in online forums is kind of an art. It is much harder to convey meaning without body language and facial expressions to back it up. And, unfortunately, it is also too easy to say some things that you would not say face to face.

Advice to newbies: Be careful what you say and how you say it (add a smiley to convey you are joking or whatever). Beware of and ignore trollers and be careful not to become one. ;) And, by all means, if you have a question ask it, there are no dumb questions. There is always someone willing to give helpful advice.

Tin Man
09-28-2007, 14:54
I think being a newb is sometimes the reason we don't post often. I sometimes feel like I am here to learn and don't have enough info most of the time to tell somebody else what to do or how to do it. Often times a posts' name or lead-in might mislead us and we think it is about something and it isn't so we are only surfing and no intent on replying.

Just ask any question and before you know it you will be able to answer someone else's question.

The "quote" button on the bottom right of a post will allow you to quote someone else in your reply.

sonic
09-28-2007, 14:58
Just ask any question and before you know it you will be able to answer someone else's question.

The "quote" button on the bottom right of a post will allow you to quote someone else in your reply.

See I learned something today. I guess it's like becoming a doctor-learn one, do one, teach one.

J5man
09-28-2007, 17:22
I am a newbie and have been treated just fine and have learned more about hiking in general (not just the AT) from this site than anywhere. It took me a little while to sort out who was who on here and I have enjoyed reading the bantor! I think it would be a hoot to have a live roundtable discussion with L. Wolf, Jim Adams, Jack Tarlin, The Weasel, Matthewski, Sgt Rock, Warren Doyle, Footslogger, Tipi Walter, Zelph, Sarbar, Marta, and a few others all moderated by She-Dino. I would pay good money to sit in on that!! Has this ever happened at Trail Days or any of the other get togethers?

SGT Rock
09-28-2007, 17:28
We do get together - well most of us. Not everyone can make it - and not everyone gets along LOL.

gaga
09-28-2007, 18:33
i am brand new here, so please "handle whit care" fragile!:clap

modiyooch
09-28-2007, 20:26
I almost left, but learned to ignore the posts from the forumites that believe their way is the only way. I almost felt different until I went hiking and ran into bunches of people like me.

SoonerTex
09-28-2007, 21:24
I am also new to this Website and feel I have been treated well. I get good advice and good laughs at some of the comments. I know that some comments need to be taken with a grain of salt and are only opinions of the person writing them. I feel that I don't get the full use of this site only because of the distance from the trail, the inability to be trail as much as some of you and it has been a long time since I was on the trail. Maybe I should start a "move me closer to the trail fund".:) I wonder if the contributions would be tax deductible.:-? Thanks for a great website.
SoonerTex

Lone Wolf
09-28-2007, 22:27
I am a newbie and have been treated just fine and have learned more about hiking in general (not just the AT) from this site than anywhere. It took me a little while to sort out who was who on here and I have enjoyed reading the bantor! I think it would be a hoot to have a live roundtable discussion with L. Wolf, Jim Adams, Jack Tarlin, The Weasel, Matthewski, Sgt Rock, Warren Doyle, Footslogger, Tipi Walter, Zelph, Sarbar, Marta, and a few others all moderated by She-Dino. I would pay good money to sit in on that!! Has this ever happened at Trail Days or any of the other get togethers?

it happens. show up and hang with us. i'm the biggest dink of all!

Marta
09-28-2007, 22:48

Though it may be hard to believe, a lot of us are quite introverted, and tend to be quiet--and very, very polite--in face-to-face encounters. (Not all, though--off line some people are freed from the constraints and asterisks of a moderated site.:D )

To liven things up...that's where the alcohol comes into play.

I'm glad you are enjoying WB.

Cheers!

Paul Bunyan
09-28-2007, 22:53
it happens. show up and hang with us. i'm the biggest dink of all!

Ha ha, not a bit humble are you.;)

Lone Wolf
09-28-2007, 22:55
Ha ha, not a bit humble are you.;)

it's hard to be humble when you're a Marine.

Jack Tarlin
09-29-2007, 10:57
J5man:

A lot of the folks you mentioned above will be at the ALDHA Gathering next weekend in Gettysburg. I hope you and a lot of the other new folks can make it.

For more information, and a full schedule of events, check out www.aldha.org

solo29
09-29-2007, 11:31
this site rules:banana :banana :banana :banana

J5man
09-30-2007, 13:50
Whenever I meet any of you guys, the first beer is on me!!...........then so I can get experience at "yogi'ng", you can buy me one!! haha.

BigwaveDave
10-02-2007, 16:30
Been away from here for awhile, but as a newbie I feel I was treated very well, learned alot from alot of people. "other" sites can be a bit condesending to those who are not part of the click. BWD

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 18:37
I joined a long time ago and for a while I lurked as my hiking decreased until I got a new hiking buddy. The information has always been informative and even if I did have a run in with someone. It's no sweat b/c we all have one common interest and joy the AT.

Jester2000
10-16-2007, 21:29
I will say that when I first started posting, I was a bit taken aback at a reply I received. It was from someone who is generally HIGHLY regarded on this forum.

I was going to apologize on the off chance that I said something wrong, until I realized that I'm not "highly regarded."

My feeling is that WB members treated me very decently and it has been worthwile in preparing for my March 2008 thruhike attempt.

Go, baby! Hike that thing into the ground! Seriously!

Dancer
10-23-2007, 23:04
I think that newbies here are treated great, I was. I felt at home immediately. Hikers are a great bunch, very accepting. **EMOTIONAL MOMENT WARNING** sniff, sniff I love you guys!!
AW

mtnkngxt
11-04-2007, 19:41
As someone who has only been on this forum for a little under a week, I would have to say this is the warmest welcome I have recieved out of all the places I lurk and or post on. My questions are taken seriously, opinions are presented in a professional manner, and advice is given with intergrity and respect. I do however believe that much of the way newbies are treated relates to how they carry themselves. I think it always important to present yourself as a newcomer and as such that you should take care not to make blatant stupid remarks that are obviously wrong. One of my major pet peeves is the idea of a simple thanks. People are taking their time out of their day to discuss and advise me on my questions and remarks, and as such I believe a simple thankyou and/or acknowledgment of that person's advice and comments is deserved. I know there are trolls out there in cyber world who pride themselves in being the all knowing and I take it in stride because for every sour apple there will always be 10 others who are more than willing to help. So once again to all of those who have helped me out with my questions and guided me with trimming my pack weight I extend my thanks and gratitude for taking time out of your day to assist me in my endeavors. It's people like all of you here at WB that add fuel to my fire to persue my hiking, helps reassure me that most be are inherently good.

Marta
11-04-2007, 20:16
As someone who has only been on this forum for a little under a week, I would have to say this is the warmest welcome I have recieved out of all the places I lurk and or post on. My questions are taken seriously, opinions are presented in a professional manner, and advice is given with intergrity and respect. I do however believe that much of the way newbies are treated relates to how they carry themselves. I think it always important to present yourself as a newcomer and as such that you should take care not to make blatant stupid remarks that are obviously wrong. One of my major pet peeves is the idea of a simple thanks. People are taking their time out of their day to discuss and advise me on my questions and remarks, and as such I believe a simple thankyou and/or acknowledgment of that person's advice and comments is deserved. I know there are trolls out there in cyber world who pride themselves in being the all knowing and I take it in stride because for every sour apple there will always be 10 others who are more than willing to help. So once again to all of those who have helped me out with my questions and guided me with trimming my pack weight I extend my thanks and gratitude for taking time out of your day to assist me in my endeavors. It's people like all of you here at WB that add fuel to my fire to persue my hiking, helps reassure me that most be are inherently good.

You are wise in understanding as well as in location.

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 20:24
I'm a newbie. I've been treated very, very well.

Jonathan

mtnkngxt
11-04-2007, 21:30
Lol thank you Marta I suppose I am. I think my generation for the most part is obnoxious. Luckily my dad scared the obnoxious out of me, and replaced it with respect for others.

norman55
11-14-2007, 20:13
I just wanted to weigh in -

As a newbie / late-bloomer to backpacking and this site, I would like to say thanks to all you hard-core trekkers. Have no doubt - we newbies may be silent but we are out here reading and learning from your every experience.

I may never do a thru-hike or even complete a sectional but it’s a great way to spend time with my family. For us, my family and me, that ‘s what it’s really all about. We've gotten a lot of tips from a lot of folks that have made things easier and our backpacking more enjoyable and no one even knew we were here.

Personally, I think newbie are somewhat intimidated by their own lack of experience when compared to the general visitor to this site, but, like myself, they will eventually begin to speak up. I have only recently made a few posts seeking specific information. Almost without expectation, the responses have been sincere and informative. Just the having someone take the time to read what they would probably consider a foolish question and help me out is a gift greatly appreciated.

My thanks to you all,

Sambeaux
Unicoi to Standing Indian
Nov 18th to 24th

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 19:40
it's hard to be humble when you're a Marine.

Amen to that! :)

I'm in a fairly unusual position myself.

By posts, I'm definitely a newbie here.

By join date, I've been here a while. When I joined nearly three years ago, I was somewhat put off by several threads that seemed pretty foul-tempered. I decided folks here were too high-strung to bother with. (After all, if you've already met the likes of Lone Wolf or Baltimore Jack, you don't really feel like you have that much to add). In their case, I understood reasonably well where they were coming from, but my overall first impression just wasn't very positive.

In the last few days, I wandered back onto the site and have enjoyed the experience much more.

Oh, by the way, as far as the AT or MANY other backcountry trails and off-trail routes are concerned, I wouldn't exactly call myself a newbie. So I'll try not to be too intimidated by those with thousands and thousands of posts.......

After all, a Marine isn't easily intimidated, right Lone Wolf? :D

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 19:50
Geez, thanks for the kind words! :D

But if you go back and read the 4th post on this thread, you might have a better opinion of me.

Whatever.

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 20:06
Jack, I've always had a good opinion of you, from the first time we met.

You probably don't recall, but I first met you at Kincora, and you were cooking away and helping out several thru-newbies who were looking pretty wet and worn at the time. Even in Pennsylvania, when you had walked in on the dead guy at the Doyle, accidentally drunk cherry-flavored Coleman, and banged up your knee pretty severely (all of these in the space of 2 or 3 days), you always had an eye out to help folks who were struggling.

I DID read your post and thought, "That's Jack", able to look gruff with serious 5 o'clock shadow and cigarette hanging out of the mouth, but with a strong and positive paternal streak.

When I said you don't have much to add after Jack comments on it, I meant it as someone who has a LOT of miles and mountains behind me, but still doesn't hold a candle to the perennials.

OK, you've had your backside kissed enough for now.;)

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 20:17
Hey thanx for the kind words, really!

And as for the cigarette thing, I just hit one month without 'em, which I haven't done since, I dunno, the Ford Administration maybe.

And lemme tell you, I can be REALLY unpleasant in the mornings these days as a result!!

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 20:24
And as for the cigarette thing, I just hit one month without 'em, which I haven't done since, I dunno, the Ford Administration maybe.

Congratulations!! Just think how much easier your maildrops can be up north when you don't have to plan a budget around $6/pack smokes.

Smile
11-20-2007, 03:28
Way to go Jack :)

SGT Rock
11-20-2007, 07:35
Hey thanx for the kind words, really!

And lemme tell you, I can be REALLY unpleasant in the mornings these days as a result!!
OUTSTANDING!

peanuts
11-20-2007, 11:42
hip-hip hooray!!!! jack...congrats and hang in there(insert dancing banana here):)

kayak karl
12-12-2007, 12:39
How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?
With so many newbies on line this time of year. why not restaet the poll?

Alligator
12-12-2007, 13:13
With so many newbies on line this time of year. why not restaet the poll?Maybe waiting until January would be good. Then the poll would be almost a year later. I could leave it open for about 60 days until March. It might be a reasonable check on how things are going around here.

Good idea Karl.

The Weasel
12-12-2007, 13:32
The poll shows that is is closed at the present time. You should restart it. It's a good thing.

TW

CoyoteWhips
12-12-2007, 13:32
I are a newbie. From my point of view, there doesn't seem to be any pervasive bias against new posters. I don't think I've seen anybody cutting anybody extra slack for being new, either.

So, all in all, it's teh interweb. There are no dumb questions, but ya can't always same about answers; YMMV. There's lots of useful information on WB and people who answer questions honestly and often from many points of view.

tazie
12-12-2007, 13:40
I was warmly welcomed and feel at home here. I did notice one of my posts disappeared, but hey...App State is my team, and we'll hope for a three-peat Championship..Go Mountaineers! ;)

Alligator
12-12-2007, 14:31
I was warmly welcomed and feel at home here. I did notice one of my posts disappeared, but hey...App State is my team, and we'll hope for a three-peat Championship..Go Mountaineers! ;)That's my area. Sorry, I take those down as not AT related news.

sasquatch2014
12-12-2007, 14:46
For the most part I have been treated well and see that most others are as well. I did see one situation that I felt was just bad form and that was when a new member went to the hooking up looking for other hikers in the area and someone directed them to Craigs List. I was blown away. Several people jumped in and told them that this was the right place and even extened oppertunities. Still boggels my mind.

Alligator
12-12-2007, 15:16
For the most part I have been treated well and see that most others are as well. I did see one situation that I felt was just bad form and that was when a new member went to the hooking up looking for other hikers in the area and someone directed them to Craigs List. I was blown away. Several people jumped in and told them that this was the right place and even extened oppertunities. Still boggels my mind.Uh-oh that's my forum too. Sounds vaguely familiar, is the thread still up?

For those unfamiliar with the layout, there is a triangle with an exclamation point inside it in the upper right of a person's post. If you click on that, you can flag a post to the mods/admin. Personally, my forums don't generate a lot of discourse, so if you flag something in hooking up, I will get to it relatively fast. Some of the other mods/admin can be very busy though;). Flagged posts go through email, a PM may be even faster.

saimyoji
12-12-2007, 16:07
For the most part I have been treated well and see that most others are as well. I did see one situation that I felt was just bad form and that was when a new member went to the hooking up looking for other hikers in the area and someone directed them to Craigs List. I was blown away. Several people jumped in and told them that this was the right place and even extened oppertunities. Still boggels my mind.

Thats less a function of treating newbies poorly, and more a function of being a dick in general.

Ashman
12-12-2007, 17:51
I am pretty new to this forum as well. I feel pretty welcome here. I am on some other forums that are a bit more inviting to new persons but I have also seen worse. Whenever I have seen technical questions about gear or general information, I think this community does a GREAT job of offering sound advice and direction. This site can be overwhelming with the number of threads and posts going on. It blows my mind the number of conversations that are going on. Walk away for a few days and you never really can get caught up on it all. That is a solid testimony to the information that is put out there. If I have seen a few times when a more veteran member gets prickly because a common question get asked again and retorts about the search function. That is well and good but not always a good option. Often the newer user doesn’t know what he or she doesn’t know and doesn’t know how to narrow the search to make it meaningful. Often great threads devolve into some esoteric or stat flinging conversation that begins to look like an academic attempt at an urination contest. (Hot water in Nagalenes, Freezer Bag Cooking, Nutrition) The “hot topics” are often unknown until you experience them, (Walk in the Woods comes to mind) and the resulting firestorm can be daunting to the newcomer. As with any online community it takes a while to learn the personalities of the “regulars”. Once you do that, it is much easier to know how to take the conversations you are reading as well as comments directed towards you. Joining an online community always has an ongoing tension. Many hesitate to join in because they are still learning “the lay of the land” and how things are but often it is participating in the conversation that helps you learn those lessons. New members and vets alike need to remember that. I’m curious Alligator, what prompted the thread?

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 18:03
Ashman:

First off, welcome!!

But I have to say, suggesting to folks that they might want to check out the search option isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are certain subjects that come up again and again and again, (examples: The need for Maps; whether or not to use Maildrops; Hiking on a Budget; Hiking the Trail on a Tight Schedule, etc). Instead of essentially repeating comments that have been made many times previously, sometimes it makes more sense to direct people to already existing threads. This doesn't mean that anyone is avoiding or ducking some newbie's question. It merely means that in many cases, the question has been asked.......and has been well answered and extensively discussed......somewhere else on the website.

Chaco Taco
12-12-2007, 18:13
Ill admit, at first I was intimidated and some people irritated me and still do. Thats just the way it is. I love this site and think the people are great, even the one's I disagree with. I look forward to meeting many of you this year!!!

Alligator
12-12-2007, 18:18
... I’m curious Alligator, what prompted the thread?I was looking for the original thread but could not find it a while ago, but I started the thread because someone made a comment that newbies were treated poorly. I thought that was off-base so I started this thread and put a short (I think it was 30 days) time limit on the thread so that I could get input back. I also made it a "closed" poll so that no one could see how folks voted (admin can, I can't).

It got more posts than I expected.

mudhead
12-12-2007, 18:31
Ashman nailed it.

Even if I had to squint.

maxNcathy
12-12-2007, 18:55
When I first came on this site everyone was fair minded to me and so they remain. Thanks.

But if I started to act more like a know-it-all then I would expect others here to speak up and point out the errors in my mind.

I come to learn and share stories and advice.

I would rather be hiking though ..sitting around camp ..speaking with you all in person.

Ashman
12-12-2007, 19:30
Ashman:

But I have to say, suggesting to folks that they might want to check out the search option isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are certain subjects that come up again and again and again, (examples: The need for Maps; whether or not to use Maildrops; Hiking on a Budget; Hiking the Trail on a Tight Schedule, etc). Instead of essentially repeating comments that have been made many times previously, sometimes it makes more sense to direct people to already existing threads. This doesn't mean that anyone is avoiding or ducking some newbie's question. It merely means that in many cases, the question has been asked.......and has been well answered and extensively discussed......somewhere else on the website.

Jack thanks for the welcome! I think I did a poor job of communicating my idea. I agree that the search function can be very helpful but sometimes it gives TOO much info. I did a search for "Hiking on a Budget" and got 9 pages of results! I scaled the search down to "hiking and budget" and got 5 pages of results! One of the first threads from that search is the "low income thru" a 22 page thread the quickly got hijacked. You can wade through all of this but it is overwhelming to a newer member. I think it is very understandable that a new member might ask the question rather than search. I think the new member has an obligation to the community to do a little searching to see what is here (like your excellent Article a very good read BTW). I would hope that it would be understood that sometimes the search isn't going be a help to the newer member who doesn't know enough to refine the search or that some threads have 22 pages of posts that have maybe 2 dozen responses that are on point spread out over 400 posts of ("I'm right you’re a weenie, HYOH but this is how you do it) that type of thing. I hope this is making sense.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:36
Ashman:

You made perfect sense.

Another good idea for newbies is to check out the "Articles" section of this website, where there are some full-length essays dealing with many of the subjects that seem to come up all the time, such as budgeting; scheduling; where to buy food; how to stay in touch with folks at home; general tips and suggestions, etc. There is a great deal of really useful info in most of these articles, and spending time here may spare you working through threads that are 40 pages long, or ones that have meandered off-topic, etc.

And finally, don't ever be afraid to ask a question here.

It can seem kind of intimidating to new-comers, but every Trail "veteran" here was a newbie once. The "thru-hiking" period of most people's lives is relatively short, especially when compared to their hiking lives, which can last fifty years. Every know-it-all thru-hiker with an "expert" opinion was a newbie once, or a weekender, or a short-timer. And every thru-hiker, when their long-distance hiking days are over, is fated to be a dayhiker or weekender again.

Some of us need to keep this in mind.

But keep those questions coming, and once again, welcome!

SGT Rock
12-12-2007, 20:09
I'll have to say that even though I have been here for a long time, searches when looking up past topics often don't help me find what I am looking for either.

saimyoji
12-12-2007, 20:14
I'll have to say that even though I have been here for a long time, searches when looking up past topics often don't help me find what I am looking for either.

Either I'm inept at using the search function or its not great, but I agree with the 1st Sgt. Many times I pour over pages of threads looking for the info I want....sometimes it is easier to throw out a repeat question. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with recommending a newbie search on a topic either.

SGT Rock
12-12-2007, 20:35
I also made it a "closed" poll so that no one could see how folks voted (admin can, I can't).

It got more posts than I expected.
I never thought to look at that until now. Something that I found interesting is the folks that said either Very Poorly or Not So OK were for the most part old timers here. I wonder if that is a reflection of how the old timers sometimes percive things.

ed bell
12-12-2007, 21:10
Either I'm inept at using the search function or its not great, but I agree with the 1st Sgt. Many times I pour over pages of threads looking for the info I want....sometimes it is easier to throw out a repeat question. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with recommending a newbie search on a topic either.I'm in your boat, and I have found that it takes some time to really find what one is looking for in the advanced search. Once I got the gist of it I was able to find a bunch of great info. Having said that, there is nothing like asking a question and having people care enough to respond. I think that helps the newbies, the dedicated contributors, the current content of the forums, and the website in general. Myself, I would rather answer a question person to person than suggest a search.:sun

Programbo
12-12-2007, 21:25
It can seem kind of intimidating to new-comers, but every Trail "veteran" here was a newbie once. The "thru-hiking" period of most people's lives is relatively short, especially when compared to their hiking lives, which can last fifty years. Every know-it-all thru-hiker with an "expert" opinion was a newbie once, or a weekender, or a short-timer. And every thru-hiker, when their long-distance hiking days are over, is fated to be a dayhiker or weekender again. ......Some of us need to keep this in mind.

I`m of a mixed frame of mind with all this...I sold backpacking gear for near 11 years and LOVED helping the new people who came in prepare for their first day and weekend trips and hoped they would love it and become lifelong hikers....Now people want to bypass that learning experience and join some sort of 2200 mile long reality tv adventure...I can think back to my youth and when I started hiking and while it is true that all the "veteran" or "thru-hikers" had started as "newbies" I think the vast majority of thru-hikers then were longtime experienced backpackers....Today it seems a LOT of people come on and say they are going to thru-hike the AT next year and they are asking what they should pack or eat as they`ve never spent one night on the AT or any trail...I am sure I am in the minority but that just bothers me for some reason...I am sure it wouldn`t bother me so much if there was a higher success rate among these people but when 25% quit within 32 miles (Or even on the approach trail) and more than half are gone 160 miles out (Which can take them a month to reach) I feel something is very wrong with the whole picture.
Meh...I guess I`m just a grumpy old dinosaur now :p

adamkrz
12-12-2007, 21:41
Backpackers on the trail seem more laid back, Here I get flamed pretty quick..

SGT Rock
12-12-2007, 21:47
That is a symptom of the Internet. Sorry about that.

Maple
12-12-2007, 22:25
I joined WB about six weeks ago and have found a wealth of information on here. At the same time, I am still finding my way around the site. Almost every day I learn something new. The site is very large and it takes a while to get used to it. I finally learned just the other day how to post a new string, and today I learned there are different formats. Tomorrow I am sure I will learn something else about the site that I don't currently know.
Patience with newbies is very important in my opinion.

Alligator
12-12-2007, 22:38
I never thought to look at that until now. Something that I found interesting is the folks that said either Very Poorly or Not So OK were for the most part old timers here. I wonder if that is a reflection of how the old timers sometimes percive things.Optimally I would run the poll and only ask new members to vote. But I don't have any way to restrict that easily, nor do I think admin does either. If I leave it open, I suspect any negative voters may feel reluctant to vote. So I will rerun it in Jan and leave it open for either 60 (90?) days. I would think that would get the most exposure to new members. And maybe make it a sticky.

Smile
12-12-2007, 22:38
From where I sit, it seems that most of the negativity happens amongst those who have known each other a long time, who have met in person, or who have a nemesis here whose words or opinions rub them the wrong way.

I remember going to the SoRuck'06 and getting to see people and put the faces to the names on the net. Some of the names I'd recognized had what I'd considered "heated posts" with each other - but they were there, getting along fine and seemed to be having a great time!

WB is a such a great resource, and I've gotten some terrific advice as well from other hikers. It's all about continuing to learn.

We all had to take our first step into the woods, acquire our first piece of gear, and we were all newbies when we first found WB :)

ed bell
12-12-2007, 23:49
Backpackers on the trail seem more laid back, Here I get flamed pretty quick..Example? I just looked at your posts and it seems like you have been treated respectfully.:confused: Maybe I am missing something. Don't take this post as a flame.:)

Mags
12-13-2007, 12:08
Internet groups tend to bring out the worse in people (I'm guilty as well at times over the 20 yrs since I've been online...)

In the alt-history group I used to read, people get in heated debates over Panther vs. T-34 vs Sherman tanks. Silly perhaps. But any sillier than our debates over Checmicals vs. Filter Vs. Not Filtering for treatment of water?

SOOOO...realize that most people on this forum are geneuinely nice and want to help. Ignore the occasional flame. It is an ugly reality of almost all discussion groups on the Innertubes.

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 12:28
From where I sit, it seems that most of the negativity happens amongst those who have known each other a long time, who have met in person, or who have a nemesis here whose words or opinions rub them the wrong way.

I remember going to the SoRuck'06 and getting to see people and put the faces to the names on the net. Some of the names I'd recognized had what I'd considered "heated posts" with each other - but they were there, getting along fine and seemed to be having a great time!

WB is a such a great resource, and I've gotten some terrific advice as well from other hikers. It's all about continuing to learn.

We all had to take our first step into the woods, acquire our first piece of gear, and we were all newbies when we first found WB :)
i posted threads that were talked AROUND like it was a chat room. never answering my orginal question. i know u know each other, but i don't give a. we are looking for experience not criticism. don't say we we are wrong, tell u what to can do better. dont use the threads about how u met on trail days. i don't care. pm each other. when the end off the thread, has nothing to do with the first post, there is a problem.
this isn't about all of yous (South Jersey word for YOU ALL). many poeple help calm our fears. my fear is not the woods, but being away that long, its not easy(children, grand kids and friends). immature answers to a question do not help this, but all in all, im hiking my own hike:). but, there are certian posts i look at all the time;l. wolf. frolick dinos, cuffs, srg rock. attroll, smile, take-a-knee and others. take example from them. u hit 15,000, keep it going.:sun

hopefulhiker
12-13-2007, 12:52
I know that I was treated well as a newbie. And that was not that long ago....

DawnTreader
12-13-2007, 14:45
I've been posting on and off for a couple of years... In the begining, I believe it was my second post; I naively brought up a sensitive topic, got flammed, and accused of trolling... I was initially turned off, however the wealth of info on this site brought me back and I have been overall happy with the discussion. I have seen some newbies post naivley as I did, and get flammed... It is rare however, but I think we all need to stand up for this when we see it.. Excellent site, many thanx to the moderators and the great posters who have given great advice to myself and everyone else who loves to wander.

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 19:17
I've been posting on and off for a couple of years... In the begining, I believe it was my second post; I naively brought up a sensitive topic, got flammed, and accused of trolling... I was initially turned off, however the wealth of info on this site brought me back and I have been overall happy with the discussion. I have seen some newbies post naivley as I did, and get flammed... It is rare however, but I think we all need to stand up for this when we see it.. Excellent site, many thanx to the moderators and the great posters who have given great advice to myself and everyone else who loves to wander.
Hey, at least you didn't get kicked off this site for nothing more than disagreeing with the host.;) :D

turtle fast
12-13-2007, 19:54
As a relative newby I think I have been treated fairly. You just have to have a sense of humor here. Life can not be all about work, a lot of folks here post after (or during)work and find this community as a stress relief...plain and simple. Good talk about things we all have in common...the trail.

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 20:36
As a relative newby I think I have been treated fairly. You just have to have a sense of humor here. Life can not be all about work, a lot of folks here post after (or during)work and find this community as a stress relief...plain and simple. Good talk about things we all have in common...the trail.
GO PACKERS!!!!!!!:) :) :welcome :sun

hanstheprety
01-02-2008, 15:34
The wbsite is great. does anyone have a detailed list of stuff to pack for a newbie hiker who is starting the trail this summer?

SGT Rock
01-02-2008, 15:38
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311#post132311

here you go.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 17:26
I've been reading and posting here for exactly a year today:) (I survived;) ), and WB is one of three online forums I regularly participate in. The other is a golf forum and a politics one. Overall, people here are friendly, knowledgable, and have a good sense of humor. There does seem to be a little cliqueiness here and there at times, but I think a lot of that's due to people who know each other IRL and they're just more focused on that relationship than the rest of the board.

I kind of just jumped right into the fire from the beginning, and probably put a few people off with both speaking my mind and my sarcasm from day one, but I've kind of just grown accustomed to doing that in online forums - life's too short to just lurk. Between poking fun and being an all around wise a$$ though, I've learned a lot here - about different hiker/hiking philosophies, alcohol stoves, hammocks, which handgun to carry, which shelters to burn(all of 'em:rolleyes: ), why dogs should be left at home - oops, there's that damn sarcasm again. I just can't keep my big mouth shut.;)

Seriously though, once I clear up a nagging health issue(bad back) it would be fun to meet some of the members here IRL on the AT next summer or at a ruck.:sun

My advice to other newbies is just jump right in. Life's too short just to dangle your toes in the water and lurk. The worst thing that could happen is someone might disagree with you. But without that none of us would ever learn anything new and different. And sooner or later if you participate in online DB's you're gonna get flamed for something. So what. Hike on.